Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timschochet

The Wall: Update: Federal Judge blocks emergency spending on the Wall

29 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Irony: Shutting down the Homeland Security Department to protect the border.

Is this really part of the Trump Shutdown?

Can we get an update from the "Gary Johnson Voters" that were saying six months ago "Look, I don't really like the guy, but at least my 401(k) has been doing great!"?

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Ignoramus said:

Can we get an update from the "Gary Johnson Voters" that were saying six months ago "Look, I don't really like the guy, but at least my 401(k) has been doing great!"?

They all pulled out their money at the top and retired early.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

It's worse than that. The Mexicans are outscouting us and outrecruiting us on the talented dual-citizenship guys now. We can't afford that right now.

:sadbanana:

above everything else the market needs predictability and stability....the opposite of the President.  Much of this drop over the last several weeks is entirely on him.

• Like 1

Just now, Henry Ford said:

For those keeping track, that means all gains since September, 2017 have been wiped out.

Is that bad?

Just now, Henry Ford said:

For those keeping track, that means all gains since September, 2017 have been wiped out.

soon enough we'll be going back to the day he walked in the door....This is the true Trump rally....he was riding Obama's coat tails.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Trump will now get a second chance to crow about stock market gains, when it goes back up.

Edited by Mile High

Manu Raju‏Verified account @mkraju

Susan Collins almost dropped her handbag as she gestured disbelief at word, delivered to her by reporters, that Trump would not sign the continuing resolution unless border wall money was added. “Did he just say that? Ugh, are you ruining my life,” she asked? @tedbarrettcnn

11:13 AM - 20 Dec 2018

Most senators have already left town. So this means the only option to avoid a shutdown is one that everyone in Senate will accept is the one Trump says he won’t sign

Trump couldn't be more disorganized and without a plan if he tried....it's astounding.

Edited by Banger
  • Like 2

This may  have been answered already, but where physically is the wall supposed to go? And what happens to the US property on the other side of the wall?

• Like 1

Just now, whoknew said:

This may  have been answered already, but where physically is the wall supposed to go? And what happens to the US property on the other side of the wall?

Shhh.... there's no problem ceding control of the Rio Grande River to Mexico during a century where water rights are expected to be the most important issue of international relations.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

Cratering market and Trump shutdown. Happy Holidays!!! 

Cratering implies that it will simply hit bottom.  I envision a rather lengthy fall.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Banger said:

soon enough we'll be going back to the day he walked in the door....This is the true Trump rally....he was riding Obama's coat tails.

True story: if we lose the same amount of value that we have in the last three months, it would take us back to November, 2016.

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

True story: if we lose the same amount of value that we have in the last three months, it would take us back to November, 2016.

Is that bad?

9 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Shhh.... there's no problem ceding control of the Rio Grande River to Mexico during a century where water rights are expected to be the most important issue of international relations.

Hmm, hadn't thought of this. Better build it on their side of the river, then they'll have to pay for it! Winning.

14 minutes ago, Banger said:

Trump couldn't be more disorganized and without a plan if he tried....it's astounding.

Look the Tea Party revolted (which means the base) and Trump saw that and so he’s revolting with them. But I don’t see how this ends in anything but utter embarrassment and defeat for Trump and the GOP. 

Just now, timschochet said:

Look the Tea Party revolted (which means the base) and Trump saw that and so he’s revolting with them. But I don’t see how this ends in anything but utter embarrassment and defeat for Trump and the GOP. 

that worked well for them...

14 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I hear zero-scaping is a popular and aesthetically pleasing option in that portion of the country

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Hard to argue with this. Trump and the Tea Party are revolting.

• Like 3

I don’t see how this ends in anything but utter embarrassment and defeat for Trump and the GOP. 

It doesn't. The open question is how much the U.S. (and the rest of the world) suffers as a result of attempts to implement all their bad ideas.

Jesse Rodriguez‏Verified account @JesseRodriguez

NBC News: The mood has darkened and Republicans in the House see little chance to avoid a government shutdown over Christmas. @kasie

11:34 AM - 20 Dec 2018

3 minutes ago, That one guy said:

I hear zero-scaping is a popular and aesthetically pleasing option in that portion of the country

Xeriscape. I didn't know that's what it was until I had it done at my house recently. 

ETA: Just saw this on wiki - 

Denver Water coined the term xeriscape in 1981 by combining "landscape" with the Greek prefix xero-, from xeros, meaning dry.[5][6] The term zero-scaping or zeroscaping is sometimes substituted for xeriscaping due to phonetic similarity.[7] When used seriously, zero-scaping usually refers to a different type of low-water landscaping that is often devoid, or nearly devoid of plants.[8][9] Because the term was derived from the Greek root xeros, xeriscaping is sometimes misspelled xeroscaping.

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 1

What amazes me is that some of them actually think they’re going to win this, that the Democrats will cave and give them their wall. 

the amazing thing is that they had $25 bill for the wall in the summer with DACA relief and the hard right refused....so here we are....even IF the House does narrowly get the votes, it has no chance of passing the Senate...no one has a strategy to move forward....so there will be a shutdown unless Trump signs the CR....it's the only option that will avoid a shutdown.  

#WINNING

• Like 2

Just now, Fan of Charles McCoy said:

How many Republican votes are needed for an override?

Remember the Hastert rule? Ryan still won’t break it. Because it would tear the GOP in half. So the Freedom Caucus basically has veto power until Pelosi takes over. 

Remember the Hastert rule? Ryan still won’t break it. Because it would tear the GOP in half. So the Freedom Caucus basically has veto power until Pelosi takes over. 

It seems like we're gonna be shut down until the next Congress comes in.  To override a veto after that would take all Dems plus 20 Republican senators and 55 Republican Congressmen I think.  Don't see it happening.  

5 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Xeriscape. I didn't know that's what it was until I had it done at my house recently. 

ETA: Just saw this on wiki - 

Denver Water coined the term xeriscape in 1981 by combining "landscape" with the Greek prefix xero-, from xeros, meaning dry.[5][6] The term zero-scaping or zeroscaping is sometimes substituted for xeriscaping due to phonetic similarity.[7] When used seriously, zero-scaping usually refers to a different type of low-water landscaping that is often devoid, or nearly devoid of plants.[8][9] Because the term was derived from the Greek root xeros, xeriscaping is sometimes misspelled xeroscaping.

Well lookie there, my daily “learn something new each day” moment has arrived.  Was fully unaware of both spelling and etymology, always just heard it as zero and assumed it a reference to lack of reliance on heavily water dependent plants.  Neat

• Like 1

“This is not a good situation,” Pat Roberts said, adding 90 percent of the Senate has already left

6 minutes ago, Banger said:

the amazing thing is that they had $25 bill for the wall in the summer with DACA relief and the hard right refused....so here we are....even IF the House does narrowly get the votes, it has no chance of passing the Senate...no one has a strategy to move forward....so there will be a shutdown unless Trump signs the CR....it's the only option that will avoid a shutdown.  

#WINNING

Not enough discussion of this. Absolutely ridiculous, considering the broad popularity of DACA.  Also an epic screw up from a man who famously declared that deals are his art form. He had victory in the palm of his hand and someone (presumably Miller) talked him out of it because it wasn't cruel enough to brown people.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Banger said:

“This is not a good situation,” Pat Roberts said, adding 90 percent of the Senate has already left

Slight tangent, but seems kind of silly given today's technology that we require these people to be in a particular room in order to vote.

• Like 3

Just now, TobiasFunke said:

Not enough discussion of this. Absolutely ridiculous, considering the broad popularity of DACA.  Also an epic screw up from a man who famously declared that deals are his art form. He had victory in the palm of his hand and someone (presumably Miller) talked him out of it because it wasn't cruel enough to brown people.

absolutely....you can't negotiate...they want their cake and eat it too....there is no meet in the middle thus NOTHING gets done.  

Just now, dgreen said:

Slight tangent, but seems kind of silly given today's technology that we require these people to be in a particular room in order to vote.

I've said the same thing about citizen voting but if it's good for us, it's good for them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lakerstan said:

If we just got rid of the notion of "countries" there would be no borders to cross.  Problem solved.

That would be tragic. 

7 minutes ago, Banger said:

#WINNING

The smart republicans (yes, they're almost an endangered species, but they're still out there) know that the wall is a classic boondoggle, and do not want it to be built.  Actually building the wall means pictures of the wall graffitied, with holes cut through it, and ending in a random spot in the middle of some desert, b/c they'll never build the whole thing.  Actually building it means facing an endless series of stories of cost overruns, accompanied by stats showing it didn't make any difference.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

And up!  Rally caps everyone!  Woohoo!

S&P up 1.5% in the last 30 minutes. I bet I can retire by year's end!

1 minute ago, The Future Champs said:

The smart republicans (yes, they're almost an endangered species, but they're still out there) know that the wall is a classic boondoggle, and do not want it to be built.  Actually building the wall means pictures of the wall graffitied, with holes cut through it, and ending in a random spot in the middle of some desert, b/c they'll never build the whole thing.  Actually building it means facing an endless series of stories of cost overruns, accompanied by stats showing it didn't make any difference.  

I don't think the "Wall" solves everything, but I guarantee you it puts a halt to the caravan problem.   You need a lot more than Walls.  You need to do something about people overstaying their Visas, get rid of catch and release, and utilize technology such as drones. 

2 minutes ago, The Future Champs said:

like I said...just give every immigrant $10k at the border and tell them to turn around.....that would be good for 2.5 mill people...should last a few years and will be more effective.