What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (3 Viewers)

Adam Schiff‏ @AdamSchiff 18m18 minutes ago

Closing the border for even a few days would be an economic disaster for the U.S., and catastrophic for border states like Texas and California.

You’d have to be completely reckless, or have no understanding of how U.S. businesses operate, to even suggest such a thing.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchiff/status/1113800604952883203
We can cut back on our Avacados, tomatoes, fruits, and nuts for awhile. Plus, how quickly can we produce the car parts we get from Mexico in the US?   As for labor, we have enough of them here already to work the fields. 

ETA:  Car parts, not cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can cut back on our Avacados, tomatoes, fruits, and nuts for awhile. Plus, can probably do without their cars for now also.   As for labor, we have enough of them here already to work the fields. 
What do you mean "their cars"?  What about the parts that make up over 30% of "our cars" that they supply us?  The assembly lines here in the US would be shut down within days if he closed the border and didn't allow those goods to flow.

We can cut back on our Avacados, tomatoes, fruits, and nuts for awhile. Plus, can probably do without their cars for now also.   As for labor, we have enough of them here already to work the fields. 
The parts we get from Mexico makes it our cars, not theirs:

CNN‏Verified account @CNN

The entire US auto industry would shut down within a week if President Trump goes through with his pledge to close the US-Mexican border, according to a leading expert on the industry

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/02/business/border-closing-us-auto-industry-shutdown/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_content=2019-04-02T14%3A00%3A07&utm_term=image&utm_medium=social

Do you think any number of our auto industry companies, produce companies, grain companies, food service companies would agree?  Him going through with this would be yet another gift to his opponents as if they don't already have enough evidence of his incompetence.  
a trillion or two in bailouts should suffice

If stopping trade with Mexico persuades them to stop migration through their country, busing them to the border, then yes, that along with other measures is worth it.
I thought they had strict immigration laws?  Surely the President wasn’t lying about that, was he?

Other than stopping trade with Mexico until they quit facilitating this mess, I would also move more military to the border, put in more cheap barbed wire until proper border fencing / wall can be built.  If they're not going to put more judges at the border to process these people, where most will be denied asylum, keep sending them back across the border to Mexico until their claim is heard.
So cripple trade (costing billions) and spend on troops to the border.  So very conservative of you.

That’s really what you want to go with?

Other than stopping trade with Mexico until they quit facilitating this mess, I would also move more military to the border, put in more cheap barbed wire until proper border fencing / wall can be built.  If they're not going to put more judges at the border to process these people, where most will be denied asylum, keep sending them back across the border to Mexico until their claim is heard.
I'm more of a build additional housing facilities and increase immigration staff to appropriately handle the extreme influx until the asylum laws can be changed, but I will accept 'Scorched Earth' as another option that I'm sure many agree with.

The parts we get from Mexico makes it our cars, not theirs:

CNN‏Verified account @CNN

The entire US auto industry would shut down within a week if President Trump goes through with his pledge to close the US-Mexican border, according to a leading expert on the industry

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/02/business/border-closing-us-auto-industry-shutdown/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_content=2019-04-02T14%3A00%3A07&utm_term=image&utm_medium=social
Got it.  Parts, not cars.  I agree, that would be bad.  How long before the US could start making those parts in the US?  

Got it.  Parts, not cars.  I agree, that would be bad.  How long before the US could start making those parts in the US?  
Months, maybe a year or two. If we could do the parts cheaper here, there probably already would be factories built (and the cost of making parts here would drive up the cost of US autos considerably which would be passed on to the consumer).

Months, maybe a year or two. If we could do the parts cheaper here, there probably already would be factories built (and the cost of making parts here would drive up the cost of US autos considerable which would be passed on to the consumer).
I would pay the extra it would cost if it meant not being slave to a 3rd world country that is undermining us as much as they can with regards to immigration.

I would pay the extra it would cost if it meant not being slave to a 3rd world country that is undermining us as much as they can with regards to immigration.
Wow, didn't realize your life has been that difficult for you.  Lucky Trump has come along to rescue the country from 3rd world servitude. 

Wow, didn't realize your life has been that difficult for you.  Lucky Trump has come along to rescue the country from 3rd world servitude. 
The US should be self sufficient when forced to.  Never depend completely on another country for things you cannot do without if possible.

You would, but most auto consumers probably wouldn't pay a premium for American built cars just as a matter of principle supporting Trump's immigration policies

If stopping trade with Mexico persuades them to stop migration through their country, busing them to the border, then yes, that along with other measures is worth it.
My brother owns a company that employs over 50 people.  He is a Trump supporter, not because he likes the guy, but because it is good for business.   He told me last night that if border with Mexico would close for any length of time it would be devastating for his business (commercial lighting).   

Closing the border is not the answer.

My brother owns a company that employs over 50 people.  He is a Trump supporter, not because he likes the guy, but because it is good for business.   He told me last night that if border with Mexico would close for any length of time it would be devastating for his business (commercial lighting).   

That’s ok according to that poster we have plenty of “them” to work the fields.

If you import anything you shouldn't be in business. USA USA USA MAGA

If you import anything you shouldn't be in business. USA USA USA MAGA
Importing is fine, but depending on other countries for things you cannot do without, is quite another.   In an emergency the US should be self-sufficient as much as possible.   Never put yourself in a position to be 100% dependent on another country if possible.

I hope a proper solution, other than southern border shutdown,  is found to the southern border problem.  However,  Democrats don't seem to want to play nicely, never have.  Their interest is solely political.  They couldn't care less about the American people.  They only care about political power and destroying Trump.  Refusing to say there isn't a crises at the border is tiring.  When 8000+ people flood the border in two days, you have a problem.  Homeland Security says as much.

I hope a proper solution, other than southern border shutdown,  is found to the southern border problem.  However,  Democrats don't seem to want to play nicely, never have.  Their interest is solely political.  They couldn't care less about the American people.  They only care about political power and destroying Trump.  Refusing to say there isn't a crises at the border is tiring.  When 8000+ people flood the border in two days, you have a problem.  Homeland Security says as much.
I believe we established the Democrats wanted to address this thing a few years back and the bipartisan Senate deal didn't even make the floor in the Republican House. I don't think anyone is saying our current status isn't a problem.

I believe we established the Democrats wanted to address this thing a few years back and the bipartisan Senate deal didn't even make the floor in the Republican House. I don't think anyone is saying our current status isn't a problem.
I only care about what they are doing now, not the past.  Currently they deny there is an issue at the border and homeland security has clearly said there is a problem, yet the Democrats want to ignore it.  They care more about their political power and destroying Trump than they do about the American people.  The MSM facilitates this as well.

I only care about what they are doing now, now in the past.  Currently they deny there is an issue at the border and homeland security has clearly said there is a problem, yet the Democrats want to ignore it.  They care more about their political power and destroying Trump than they do about the American people.  The MSM facilitates this as well.
The Democrats don't want to ignore it, they just don't believe the wall and getting rid of judges and due process is the way to solve the problem.

I only care about what they are doing now, now in the past.  Currently they deny there is an issue at the border and homeland security has clearly said there is a problem, yet the Democrats want to ignore it.  They care more about their political power and destroying Trump than they do about the American people.  The MSM facilitates this as well.
Your posts about slavery suggest you do care what they did in the past. They aren't denying there is an issue. Do we see any legislation from the Senate on this issue to force their hand?

Your posts about slavery suggest you do care what they did in the past. They aren't denying there is an issue. Do we see any legislation from the Senate on this issue to force their hand?
Perhaps a good start would be for the Democrats to acknowledge there is an issue at the border.

Homeland Security and border patrol disagrees with that.  I tend to believe those who are on the front lines than some bureaucrat in Washington.
Trump (and his supporters) have cited Israel's wall many times as a model.  I've posted descriptions of both Israel's wall and the Dem proposal for a "smart" wall.  Can you point out the differences in the two?  They seem very similar to me.

Trump (and his supporters) have cited Israel's wall many times as a model.  I've posted descriptions of both Israel's wall and the Dem proposal for a "smart" wall.  Can you point out the differences in the two?  They seem very similar to me.
I don't know much about the "smart wall".  I'm sure technology is involved, but could you educate me on the smart wall and how it would work for the US?

I only care about what they are doing now, not the past.  Currently they deny there is an issue at the border and homeland security has clearly said there is a problem, yet the Democrats want to ignore it.  They care more about their political power and destroying Trump than they do about the American people.  The MSM facilitates this as well.
Oh my, this is great.  I don't care what happened in the past!! 

I don't know much about the "smart wall".  I'm sure technology is involved, but could you educate me on the smart wall and how it would work for the US?
Its been posted in this thread.  It includes devices to detect motion, heat, and advanced x-ray equipment at the ports to increase drug and smuggling detection.  Read up on it before you claim the Dems are ignoring it.  As I said, I've posted both the Dem proposal and the details on Israel's wall.  They're in this thread.

Trump literally did nothing for 2 years...then when the Dems took control of the house pitched a fit and declared an emergency.

He literally says he is waiting to unvail this great healthcare plan until after the 2020 election.  All he wants is political power and a wedge issue to campaign on.

They are not saying there is a crisis at the border...because there isn't one.  There may be one starting because of the actions and words of our president.  For once...look at the cause.  Threat to shut down the border leads to more attempts at crossing...Im shocked.

I sure has hell don't read it in MSM.
It has been in the news ad nausem but Trump didn't want any part of it because he didn't get all of the funding for his wall.  Use Google , you'll find it
Or even better, just read this thread.  Is all been posted and he's responded to posts that contain some of it.  Its a refusal to change one's mind - or just a need to parrot right-wing talking points.

Or even better, just read this thread.  Is all been posted and he's responded to posts that contain some of it.  Its a refusal to change one's mind - or just a need to parrot right-wing talking points.
I get that JohnnyU may not agree with the proposal but I don't understand saying the Dems have no plan and want to ignore the problem.   The info is readily available in this thread and easily found on Google.   Ignoring information and facts because you don't like or agree with it is something that our President does regularly.  

I get that JohnnyU may not agree with the proposal but I don't understand saying the Dems have no plan and want to ignore the problem.   The info is readily available in this thread and easily found on Google.   Ignoring information and facts because you don't like or agree with it is something that our President does regularly.  
I believe we need to go all the way back to yesterday when @JohnnyU was saying the Dems have no plan for the border.  Then when presented with the plan, said "ok, I don't agree with it".  Now I see today he's back to "the Dems have no plan".  SMDH.

Yet the Democrats were all for the wall in 2013, but not now?  Why is that?
Its like, what the Democrats were for has been explained to you many times...yet you keep repeating this same bogus spin of what they were for.  Why is that?

However,  Democrats don't seem to want to play nicely, never have.  Their interest is solely political.  They couldn't care less about the American people.  They only care about political power and destroying Trump.  
Considering the GOP held both houses of Congress and the Presidency for two years and didn't provide funding for the wall, I assume you don't think the GOP cares about the American people either?

Users who are viewing this thread