Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timschochet

The Wall: UPDATE- Senate votes to overturn Emergency Declaration, including 12 Republicans

4 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) said ahead of the vote that she will vote to keep Trump’s national emergency, stating:

Since Congress gave emergency powers to the executive branch in 1976 under the National Emergencies Act, presidents from both political parties have declared national emergencies in the United States over situations far less dire than the security and humanitarian crisis that is currently plaguing the southern border. The president and Congress must take swift action to secure our border, protect our citizens, and defend our sovereignty. I support President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency, and I reject the resolution of disapproval.

So your strategy is to completely ignore the myriad of posts that tore your argument apart in the hours before this?  Do you have a point besides trolling?

4 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) said ahead of the vote that she will vote to keep Trump’s national emergency, stating:

Since Congress gave emergency powers to the executive branch in 1976 under the National Emergencies Act, presidents from both political parties have declared national emergencies in the United States over situations far less dire than the security and humanitarian crisis that is currently plaguing the southern border. The president and Congress must take swift action to secure our border, protect our citizens, and defend our sovereignty. I support President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency, and I reject the resolution of disapproval.

She’s a disgrace.

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

She’s a disgrace.

Yep. Not only is she likely the worst Senator but probably the worst person as Senator.

4 hours ago, prefontaine said:

Ted Cruz defends his vote: link

If Cruz files a bill to overhaul the emergency powers act then maybe just maybe he’ll have an ounce of integrity on this, but I’d say he won’t and he’s not serious. It makes zero sense to say a law is improper then seek to support its application at the same time. So feckless and pathetic.

22 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

Yep. Not only is she likely the worst Senator but probably the worst person as Senator.

Graham and McConnell: "Hold our beer."

• Like 1

>>It is my responsibility to be a steward of the Article I branch, to preserve the separation of powers and to curb the kind of executive overreach that Congress has allowed to fester for the better part of the past century. I stood by that principle during the Obama administration, and I stand by it now.

...There is no intellectual honesty in now turning around and arguing that there’s an imaginary asterisk attached to executive overreach — that it’s acceptable for my party but not thy party.

...As a U.S. senator, I cannot justify providing the executive with more ways to bypass Congress. As a conservative, I cannot endorse a precedent that I know future left-wing presidents will exploit to advance radical policies that will erode economic and individual freedoms.

These are the reasons I would vote in favor of the resolution disapproving of the president’s national-emergency declaration, if and when it comes before the Senate.<<

- Sen. Tillis, who just voted for the national emergency.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I support Trump’s vision on border security. But I would vote against the emergency.

- By Sen. Tillis... who just voted for the national emergency.

What goes on behind the scenes?

Like I said earlier, tired of seeing them come out with strong words and then cower when it comes time to vote. 

At least Alexander decided to have a backbone as he's about to retire. And even he was apparently wavering.

3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Like I said earlier, tired of seeing them come out with strong words and then cower when it comes time to vote

At least Alexander decided to have a backbone as he's about to retire. And even he was apparently wavering.

A move otherwise known as “The McCain”

9 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I support Trump’s vision on border security. But I would vote against the emergency.

- By Sen. Tillis... who just voted for the national emergency.

What goes on behind the scenes?

Nothing.  This guy's just like Graham.  Always has been.  Says one thing then blatantly does another knowing his constituents won't care.  This is the bar set in the Carolinas.

1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Political parties go mad in herds, but come to their senses slowly, and one by one.

Unless they're up for reelection in 2020.  Then they pretend to stay mad.

Jesus Christ.

ICE issued detainer requests to deport 420 U.S. Citizens in Miami-Dade County alone from 2017-2019.

But yeah, sure, local police departments should totally detain everyone ICE asks for and open the municipality up for civil liability for the civil rights violations.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Jesus Christ.

ICE issued detainer requests to deport 420 U.S. Citizens in Miami-Dade County alone from 2017-2019.

But yeah, sure, local police departments should totally detain everyone ICE asks for and open the municipality up for civil liability for the civil rights violations.

How dare you question ICE you commie nazi?!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

How dare you question ICE you commie nazi?!!!

"Hey, uh... we think this guy might be someone we should deport.  You guys mind taking the hit for the lawsuit if we're wrong? WAIT, WHAT?  YOU WON'T! YOU FILTHY SANCTUARY CITY!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will Jordan‏ @williamjordann 3h3 hours ago

The differences between Republicans who watch Fox News and everyone else in America are vast.

Support for national emergency declaration

Fox-viewing Republicans: 84%

The rest of America: 21%

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1108724826091458560 (poll numbers and breakdown at link)

Just now, squistion said:

Will Jordan‏ @williamjordann 3h3 hours ago

The differences between Republicans who watch Fox News and everyone else in America are vast.

Support for national emergency declaration

Fox-viewing Republicans: 84%

The rest of America: 21%

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/1108724826091458560 (poll numbers and breakdown at link)

The brainwashing is strong

1 hour ago, JuniorNB said:

The brainwashing is strong

It is. For years, my retired mom and dad would ave Fox News blaring through their house from early morning to late at night. We we visited, I would squash that as much as I could by asking it to be turned low, or putting on Nickelodeon or whatever even though our kids didn’t really watch that either. 

After my dad passed over 10 years ago, my mother cut down on it a lot in favor of Hallmark, Matlock and all that. She’s reverted a bit lately however. I know, because in our latest conversation she claimed California is broke paying for free healthcare for “all those illegal immigrants”. I had to correct her that California has a 14bn+ surplus and that Fox News isn’t news and can’t be trusted.

Edited by Jobber

2 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

I find it more disturbing that 21% of non-Fox viewers think undocumented immigration is a national emergency. That number should be pretty close to 0.

Note, it says Republican non-Fox viewers.

On 3/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, joffer said:

His daily troll and run may be over

The 2022 Tight End SEC/Big Ten rookie draft starts next week.  Probably won't see him for a while.

2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Note, it says Republican non-Fox viewers.

It says "The rest of America: 21%" I'm not seeing where that's stated as meaning Republicans that don't watch Fox. In the chart in the tweet above that it has:

GOP based on how much they watch (A = Fox Viewer, B = Non-Fox Viewer):

Agree with national emergency:  A (Fox Viewers) 84%, B (Non-Fox Viewers) 50%

So I think the 21% really is all non Fox viewers, not just GOP non Fox viewers. But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if you have info that would clarify things further.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

It says "The rest of America: 21%" I'm not seeing where that's stated as meaning Republicans that don't watch Fox. In the chart in the tweet above that it has:

So I think the 21% really is all non Fox viewers, not just GOP non Fox viewers. But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise if you have info that would clarify things further.

You’re right, I looked again, I read it wrong. Thanks.

Just now, Gr00vus said:

The chart says non-Rep non-Fox 7%, Non-Rep Fox viewers 28%, Rep Non-Fox 50%, so all non-fox is a combo of the 7% and 50%, which is probably the 21%

• Thanks 1