What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (2 Viewers)

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 18h18 hours ago

The Democrats, are saying loud and clear that they do not want to build a Concrete Wall - but we are not building a Concrete Wall, we are building artistically designed steel slats, so that you can easily see through it....
Is it autumnal as well?

butcher boy said:
That's pretty drastic, but I think they should take the President and his agenda a bit more seriously and recognize him as the face of the party rather than trying to split it into two.
Does Trump have any responsibility in making sure things stay together and everyone is on the same page?

Da Guru said:
Why don`t they sell advertising on the wall to pay for it like baseball stadium walls and hockey boards?

The next 10 miles of border wall are sponsored by Amazon Prime and so forth.
Knowing Trump, there would definitely be Spongetech ads on that thing. 

From the link:

“If the 63 million people who voted for Trump each pledge $80, we can build the wall.” That equates to roughly 5Billion Dollars, even if we get half, that's half the wall. We can do this. 

:unsure:

From Business Insider:

In January, Trump wanted $25 billion for his wall, but Congress shot him down and provided just $1.6 billion. 

An internal report that Reuters obtained in February 2017 said the wall would cost as much as $21.6 billion. Other estimates have placed the costs higher, with Democrats asserting it could reach $70 billion to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah?

"the people don't want this wall to be built"
Ted Lieu is great.

Ted Lieu‏Verified account @tedlieu

Ted Lieu Retweeted Donald J. Trump

Dear @realDonaldTrump: I am a NO vote on having US taxpayers fund your artistically stupid wall. If you want Americans to fund your wasteful & inefficient wall of hate, you need to convince House Republicans who lost in Nov (some of whom you trashed) to vote for it. Good luck.

“Mexico will pay for the wall!  The new trade deal is gonna make us so much money that they’re effectively funding it!  Congress just needs to get their act together and give us the money to make the wall that the Mexicans are paying for!  Imma give money to this non-government associated individual who I just found out about from the interwebs (HE’S A VET!) to pay for this wall that Mexico is paying for to be built maybe”

:MugatuCrazyPillsGIF:

From the link:

“If the 63 million people who voted for Trump each pledge $80, we can build the wall.” That equates to roughly 5Billion Dollars, even if we get half, that's half the wall. We can do this. 

:unsure:

From Business Insider:

In January, Trump wanted $25 billion for his wall, but Congress shot him down and provided just $1.6 billion. 

An internal report that Reuters obtained in February 2017 said the wall would cost as much as $21.6 billion. Other estimates have placed the costs higher, with Democrats asserting it could reach $70 billion to build.
This is why Democrats suck...  70 billion to build a 25 billion dollar wall.  We'll never get out of debt with those aholes in office.  

How's it going?
I looked into it, turns out there are ways to cross a river.  Some genius invented something called a "boat" that floats on top of the water and can bear the weight of several humans. What will they think of next, right?

A wall should do the trick, though. I'd love to see those tech geeks in Silicon Valley come up with a way to get over or under a wall!

Has there been a national pole that indicates how many supporters believe/expect it to be an actual wall across the entire boarder with Mexico?

There may be.a shutdown- Republicans in the House are balking over the CR. 

Trump however is moving the goalpost- now he’s saying that infrastructure will be tied to the wall. Sure OK. 

It’s almost like some sort of weird backlash against the NY AG dismantling the Trump charity foundation:  “oh, yeah, you think can prevent Trump Inc from swindling us?!?  Hold my beer, we'll do it to ourselves in his name!  MAGA!!”

I looked into it, turns out there are ways to cross a river.  Some genius invented something called a "boat" that floats on top of the water and can bear the weight of several humans. What will they think of next, right?

A wall should do the trick, though. I'd love to see those tech geeks in Silicon Valley come up with a way to get over or under a wall!
Isn't this the same argument that we shouldn't ban guns because criminals will still find a way to gain access to guns?

butcher boy said:
His two biggest campaign promises are yet to be delivered, although not entirely his fault.  1) Building the wall and 2) Locking her up.  
 (  is this what you meant to put behind the and?) and Mexico will pay for it. If the wall would get built with US taxpayer money he would not be fulfilling his campaign promise. 

A medieval wall that won't stop the flow of drugs. We need border security with technology...did you know most drugs arrive in this country through legal ports of entry? Only 1 of 5 vehicles are scanned and checked for drugs. Estimates are that for $300 million in additional scanners and more border agents we could scan all the vehicles. Did you know drugs can be and are flown over border walls with drones and dropped in this country? Being a opposed to a border wall does not mean you don't want border security. Republican Representative Will Hurd (TX) has more border with Mexico than any other Representative and opposes the wall. He said response time to illegal border crossings are measured in hours and days. Will a taller bigger wall really matter?

Isn't this the same argument that we shouldn't ban guns because criminals will still find a way to gain access to guns?
Similar, yes. I don't think many Americans want a gun ban though. Also, from a practical purpose, the wall will cost us billions and billions of dollars. 

Similar, yes. I don't think many Americans want a gun ban though. Also, from a practical purpose, the wall will cost us billions and billions of dollars. 
I don't think many Americans want to ban immigration either. A gun ban wouldn't be cheap either. 

Yeah, it's kind of the same. The difference would be the elasticity of the demand- very few people are as desperate to own a gun as border-crossers are to flee poverty and violence and  seek a better life for themselves and their family.  But banning guns is also stupid.

I don't think many Americans want to ban immigration either. A gun ban wouldn't be cheap either. 
Well that's the wrong analogy- you were analogizing the wall to the gun ban, not a full immigration ban.

Also you seem to have missed the news over the last three years.  The president and presumably his tens of millions of supporters definitely want to ban immigration, or at least immigration by brown people which is like 90% of immigration.

Yeah, it's kind of the same. The difference would be the elasticity of the demand- very few people are as desperate to own a gun as border-crossers are to flee poverty and violence and  seek a better life for themselves and their family.  But banning guns is also stupid.
Right. But, I always here the comment posted "can't we do both"? This is a country of laws. Saying that we shouldn't pass laws to regulate guns because people will still find ways to get guns (see also the war on drugs) is the same as saying we shouldn't build a wall (or a moat) because people will still find ways to circumvent whatever we do.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect immigrants to comply with a point of entry if they want to come in to this country. It will prepare them for life in the U.S. where they have to stand in line at the Post Office, DMV, and any other places where this is required. 

Right. But, I always here the comment posted "can't we do both"? This is a country of laws. Saying that we shouldn't pass laws to regulate guns because people will still find ways to get guns (see also the war on drugs) is the same as saying we shouldn't build a wall (or a moat) because people will still find ways to circumvent whatever we do.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect immigrants to comply with a point of entry if they want to come in to this country. It will prepare them for life in the U.S. where they have to stand in line at the Post Office, DMV, and any other places where this is required. 
On the first point- the effectiveness of "prohibition laws" always depends on a variety of factors, including elasticity of demand.  There's no hard and fast rule that they work or don't work. I seriously doubt a gun ban would work, but you can't just apply the same rule across the board.

On the second point- the reason it's unreasonable because the Trump administration is drastically cutting the number of asylum seekers it will admit, and further narrowing other already very narrow paths to legal immigration. That in turn drastically alters the cost/benefit of various legal and illegal immigration options.

On the first point- the effectiveness of "prohibition laws" always depends on a variety of factors, including elasticity of demand.  There's no hard and fast rule that they work or don't work. I seriously doubt a gun ban would work, but you can't just apply the same rule across the board.

On the second point- the reason it's unreasonable because the Trump administration is drastically cutting the number of asylum seekers it will admit, and further narrowing other already very narrow paths to legal immigration. That in turn drastically alters the cost/benefit of various legal and illegal immigration options.
If I'm understanding you correctly,  the solution is crossing the border illegally? And you're okay with that?

Are the Dems really going to blow the opportunity to get billions towards their pet projects just to hold up a piddling $5 billion for the wall simply because they want to deny Trump a victory on his agenda?  Trump has all the leverage here.

If I'm understanding you correctly,  the solution is crossing the border illegally? And you're okay with that?
The solution to what? 

I'm explaining why people are always gonna cross the border illegally. If you don't like people crossing the border illegally, there are three basic options: (1) spend an absurd amount of money to stop a lot more of them, diverting resources from other areas of need (a few extra billion and/or a wall isn't gonna do it); (2) improve the quality of life in prospective immigrants' home countries so fewer try to cross the border illegally; or (3) let a lot more people in legally.

Of these, only #3 is remotely practical IMO.  #3 also comes with the added bonuses of being the right thing to do, good for our overall economic health (especially as compared to the other two) and more pupusas for everyone.

Are the Dems really going to blow the opportunity to get billions towards their pet projects just to hold up a piddling $5 billion for the wall simply because they want to deny Trump a victory on his agenda?  Trump has all the leverage here.
Even setting aside that troubling problem of Trump explicitly saying last week that he'd take the fall for a shutdown over border wall funding with lots of cameras on hand, there's still the problem of the Dems taking control of the House in two weeks. 

Let's say the first thing the House Dems do is pass a clean funding bill with everything except the wall appropriations. Then the Senate Dems hold press conferences every day asking McConnell to take up the House bill and not let an unpopular president's unpopular border wall demands stall government services, keep people out of work and harm the economy.

And then of course there's the simplest argument of all- "why do you need billions from the taxpayers? I thought Mexico was gonna pay for the wall."

The solution to what? 

I'm explaining why people are always gonna cross the border illegally. If you don't like people crossing the border illegally, there are three basic options: (1) spend an absurd amount of money to stop a lot more of them, diverting resources from other areas of need (a few extra billion and/or a wall isn't gonna do it); (2) improve the quality of life in prospective immigrants' home countries so fewer try to cross the border illegally; or (3) let a lot more people in legally.

Of these, only #3 is remotely practical IMO.  #3 also comes with the added bonuses of being the right thing to do, good for our overall economic health (especially as compared to the other two) and more pupusas for everyone.
Basically #3 is an open border. Are we no longer vetting immigrants? Does this apply to all borders and all those that want to come in through International flights?

Basically #3 is an open border. Are we no longer vetting immigrants? Does this apply to all borders and all those that want to come in through International flights?
Jesus.  You can't just take a statement like: "the sky is blue."  And then re-state it falsely into: "Tobias is saying that the sky is red."

That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works. 

Users who are viewing this thread