What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (1 Viewer)

Could you explain your definition of catch and release?
The policy of catching illegals at the border and releasing them into the country until their court date, which they never show up for.  They simply blend into the country as another illegal. 

Are you in favor of ending catch and release?
There is no such policy as “catch and release”. It’s a conservative meme used to describe a wide number of regulations, most of which were created by Congress over the years on a bipartisan basis, to protect certain groups of migrants from harsh treatment, like young children. If you want to end some of these laws you need to be more specific about which ones in particular. 

The policy of catching illegals at the border and releasing them into the country until their court date, which they never show up for.  They simply blend into the country as another illegal. 
There is no existing law or regulation or policy that does this. 

It's very new.  "Under the defensive asylum process, applicants must go through the immigration court system, which faces significant backlogs. As of July 2018, there were over 733,000 pending immigration cases and the average wait time for an immigration hearing was 721 days. The backlog has been worsening over the past decade as the funding for immigration judges has failed to keep pace with an increasing case load."

Also, this.
The difficulty in getting information was my point. And the solution to the crisis? More money for the judiciary and whover is doing the investigation. More money for a wall? Not so much.

There is no such policy as “catch and release”. It’s a conservative meme used to describe a wide number of regulations, most of which were created by Congress over the years on a bipartisan basis, to protect certain groups of migrants from harsh treatment, like young children. If you want to end some of these laws you need to be more specific about which ones in particular. 
In United States immigration enforcement, "catch and release" refers to a practice of releasing a migrant to the community while he or she awaits hearings in immigration court, as an alternative to holding them in immigration detention.  The migrants whom U.S. immigration enforcement agencies have allowed to remain in the community pending immigrant hearings have been those deemed low risk, such as children, families, and those seeking asylum.

There is no "hard-and-fast definition" of the phrase, which is pejorative. Rather, the phrase refers to a "collection of policies, court precedents, executive actions and federal statutes spanning more than 20 years, cobbled together throughout Democratic and Republican administrations." The Trump administration has used the phrase as a catch-all term for laws or policies preventing the holding of apprehended migrants in immigration detention.

Last edited by a moderator:
In United States immigration enforcement, "catch and release" refers to a practice of releasing a migrant to the community while he or she awaits hearings in immigration court, as an alternative to holding them in immigration detention.  The migrants whom U.S. immigration enforcement agencies have allowed to remain in the community pending immigrant hearings have been those deemed low risk, such as children, families, and those seeking asylum.

There is no "hard-and-fast definition" of the phrase, which is pejorative. Rather, the phrase refers to a "collection of policies, court precedents, executive actions and federal statutes spanning more than 20 years, cobbled together throughout Democratic and Republican administrations." The Trump administration has used the phrase as a catch-all term for laws or policies preventing the holding of apprehended migrants in immigration detention.
And with the current average wait time of about 2 years, I wonder what the cost to house and care for over half a million immigrants is compared to the societal cost of letting the low-risk people live a free life while awaiting their fate.

And with the current average wait time of about 2 years, I wonder what the cost to house and care for over half a million immigrants is compared to the societal cost of letting the low-risk people live a free life while awaiting their fate.
He doesn’t want to house them. He wants to deport them immediately. That’s the whole point. 

Closing the border could disrupt millions of legal crossings and billions of dollars in trade.  I'm fine with that if convinces Mexico stop slow the flow of migrants and quit letting them cross their southern border.
Why do you hate American companies? (Hint: Have you heard of USMCA?)

Oh, I thought conservatives respected our Constitution.  My bad.
In their defense, many conservatives have never believed that the Constitution applies to non-citizens. This point was made over and over during the post 9/11 years when conservatives routinely advocated for torture. 

I stand corrected about the statement "Why don't you ever hear democrats talking specifics about what should be done with border security", but after reading some of their suggestions I can't say I like most of them.   I don't think they put a dent into illegal immigration long term.  I will say you don't hear MSM or candidates talk about border security often that's for sure.  Or at least I haven't. 
I think the 2013-14 Gang of 8 Bill was good. It was negotiated by Dems and GOP together, it put somewhere around 35-45 billion per year in flexible - not static - border security, enforced the law, and probably represented a fair approximation if what it takes to do what you want. Lindsay Graham supported it and IIRC helped write it. As I understand it a very small number of House Republicans stopped it. I think almost everyone reasonable got almost everything they wanted from that bill.

First off, it did decline from the high in the 1990s to 2018 overall, but it also went up from 2017 to 2018.  Can you still deem it be to "declining" when the trend is going up now?  This past February had 76k total apprehensions or in-admissions - over twice the same time period last year. 

I'm also not sure you can call it the "minor issue" between the two.  I mean in sheer numbers today - yes more annual illegal immigrants stem from visa overstays than illegal crossings....but I had a roommate who was one of the former.  Wasn't a huge issue to society, or me.  As far as I know they weren't running drugs or trafficking humans, they just couldn't find a job and their visa expired and they had to go back to the wonderful Caribbean Island where they were from.  While a personal and anecdotal example, I would think a lot of these visa overstays are similar.  Many of those "undocumented immigrants" just aren't a huge issue to anyone, at least when compared to other undocumented immigrants who are running drugs, or trafficking.   Which of the two (visa overstays or illegal crossings) are leading to move of those problems you listed? 
Over 100k for March, most in a single month in over 10 years.  

You NEVER hear liberal candidates or HARDLY EVER  hear MSM talk about specifics to solve the problem at the southern border.    Can't say that I like those listed in the CBS article either.
So now you are down to, well the Democrats gave specifics, but I don't like them.

Far cry from the Democrats never give any specifics 

It's funny to me that CNN doesn't realize that the "Chaos" is the only thing Trump cares about.  I'd say its not a bug but a feature, but it isn't even that.  It's the whole ####### point.  

I don’t get the “a wall won’t work” crowd.  I think a better argument is “for the amount of money spent on a wall it would be better spent on...”  if you think all those people running across the border are going to now tunnel under it, climb over it or cut through it you’re not being honest. Israel’s walls work, walls around buildings work this wall would work. 

I don’t get the “a wall won’t work” crowd.  I think a better argument is “for the amount of money spent on a wall it would be better spent on...”  if you think all those people running across the border are going to now tunnel under it, climb over it or cut through it you’re not being honest. Israel’s walls work, walls around buildings work this wall would work. 
The primary issue is the insane amount of people trying to get processed legally. A wall won't work to solve that.

Israel’s walls work,. 
Israel’s wall works at keeping out terrorists, short term. But it has also served to create economic destitution and isolation in the occupied territories of the West Bank and Gaza, which creates more terrorists in the long run. In terms of the overall security of Israel, it’s been counterproductive. 

So you want a smart fence?  Isn't that more in line with what the Dems are proposing?

Israel’s wall works at keeping out terrorists, short term. But it has also served to create economic destitution and isolation in the occupied territories of the West Bank and Gaza, which creates more terrorists in the long run. In terms of the overall security of Israel, it’s been counterproductive. 
I bet the people who haven’t been blown up would disagree with you.  Also I believe one of the southern walls wasn’t primarily for terrorists but for immigration. 

I bet the people who haven’t been blown up would disagree with you.  Also I believe one of the southern walls wasn’t primarily for terrorists but for immigration. 
Trump says he wants Israel's border wall. That means he actually wants smart fences.

(N)either Trump nor his television muse appears to realize that Israel generally does not rely upon a wall. And when it does, it is only to combat direct terrorist threats in high-risk areas, not to stop migrants. In fact, a compromise would be to give Trump the "wall" he says he wants like the one in Israel — in other words, a smart fence.

The only concrete or steel wall akin to what Trump has called for runs along less than 10 percent of the West Bank border. It was built in response to a wave of bus bombings and stabbing of Israeli civilians on the streets, after the collapse of the peace process — that is, in response to lethal force used against its citizens.

The rest of Israel’s borders are protected by fences generally 5 1/2 yards high, ground radars, electromagnetic sensors, electro-optic cameras and underground barriers that seal off terrorist tunnels from Hamas radicals in Gaza and Hezbollah terrorists in Lebanon. No comparable security challenge faces America at our southern border. The most recent State Department terrorism report concludes that “there was no credible evidence indicating that international terrorist groups have established bases in Mexico, worked with Mexican drug cartels, or sent operatives via Mexico into the United States.”

Many Israelis do agree with me. My argument was made much more eloquently by Ha’aretz, one of their leading newspapers. 

In any case none of this is relevant to our situation. 

saying “a wall won’t work” is not a very honest reply.  It’s oversimplifying a complex problem.  I prefer:

1. It’s a massive waste of money for what it’s trying to achieve

2. It will have little effect on solving the actual issues

3. It’s incredibly un-American

This is exactly what most here have ever said...cost benefit is not on the side of the wall people.  I broke that down in one of these threads.  For the wall to pay for itself (using the conservative's alleged cost of an illegal immigrant of this country) the X miles of wall would have to stop over a million people (and somehow keep them out permanently).  It's absurd use of resources.

Waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere, including more efficient methods of border security.

The people who voted for him voted for a wall paid for by Mexico.  It's on their guy to make that happen.  Personally, I couldn't give two ####s if there was a wall there or not, but I don't want my tax dollars paying for it, so if he can do it some other way, go for it.  Nothing changes the fact that it would be ineffective and a complete waste of money.
Just a brief search of a few posts in this thread  @boots11234

Just a brief search of a few posts in this thread  @boots11234
Also:

Wouldn't it be best to spend the money where its most effective?

There’s no official measure of how many people succeed in illegally crossing the border, but authorities use the number of apprehensions to gauge changes in illegal immigration. Apprehensions on the Southwest border peaked in 2000 at 1.64 million and have generally declined since, totaling 396,579 in 2018.

Those numbers, which come from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, are for fiscal years and date back to 1960.

Why invest our limited resources in a problem that's on the decline? Wouldn't the money be better spent fixing areas where the majority of the problems exist, i.e. ports of entry?

This is exactly what most here have ever said...cost benefit is not on the side of the wall people.  I broke that down in one of these threads.  For the wall to pay for itself (using the conservative's alleged cost of an illegal immigrant of this country) the X miles of wall would have to stop over a million people (and somehow keep them out permanently).  It's absurd use of resources.
But even if you believed, as boots apparently does, that it will work and it is a good use of resources- that still doesn’t justify Trump shutting down the government, and now threatening to shut down the border. 

But even if you believed, as boots apparently does, that it will work and it is a good use of resources- that still doesn’t justify Trump shutting down the government, and now threatening to shut down the border. 
He wants to shut down the border because it will create more chaos.  Its typical Trump; create the problem, then proclaim that only he can fix it.  It will be a 2020 campaign rally point.  "Look at the chaos at our southern border!  And the Dems want OPEN BORDERS!!! THEY WANT TO LET THEM IN!!!2!"

He wants to shut down the border because it will create more chaos.  Its typical Trump; create the problem, then proclaim that only he can fix it.  It will be a 2020 campaign rally point.  "Look at the chaos at our southern border!  And the Dems want OPEN BORDERS!!! THEY WANT TO LET THEM IN!!!2!"
It appears to already be pretty chaotic already to me. 

I didn't make this argument...not sure why you are quoting me :oldunsure:  

Israel’s walls work,. 
Don't forget it has also brought tunnels. Lots of tunnels!

Do you think closing the border and cutting all aid will make it better or worse? 
Worse. However I just don’t see the support from Mexico on this so economic pressure is the next step.  

Giving Aid hasn’t helped  stem this tide. Would be great if the people fleeing, who you all say are here for jobs and are hard working, would perhaps stay in their own country and affect change there through hard work. If they want to come here I think there is a legal process to do so. I just don’t think folks who have the ability to run across the border should by default get preferential treatment over folks from the other side of the world just because they cannot swim across the ocean. 

Worse. However I just don’t see the support from Mexico on this so economic pressure is the next step.  

Giving Aid hasn’t helped  stem this tide. Would be great if the people fleeing, who you all say are here for jobs and are hard working, would perhaps stay in their own country and affect change there through hard work. If they want to come here I think there is a legal process to do so. I just don’t think folks who have the ability to run across the border should by default get preferential treatment over folks from the other side of the world just because they cannot swim across the ocean. 
flesh this out a bit.....who do you think will feel this pressure?

It appears to already be pretty chaotic already to me. 
Really? You think that the only thing that ever happens at the border is that refugees and illegals try to cross?

Users who are viewing this thread