What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting _________ over Phillip Rivers VS Baltimore in the championship (1 Viewer)

kittenmittens

Footballguy
I just can't start Rivers in my title game against Baltimore. 

I'm going with Winston against Dallas, another bad match up, or rolling with Keenum against Oakland. 

Aaron Rodgers 6 per TD, -1 per INT.  Bonus for 50+ yards TD's which makes me want Rivers.

FA's include Foles/Carr.

My other QB was Wentz so I am staring at Foles, Carr, Tannehill or Darnold on the waiver wire debating what to do.

I think some of you might be overthinking this. The problem with Rivers isn't that he comes up short against good defenses, it's that he plays down to the level of his competition. He's had good games this year against top ten pass defenses like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee. Two of his three worst games were against bottom-feeding pass defenses like Cincinnati and Denver. The other was against middling  Kansas City.

I think some of you might be overthinking this. The problem with Rivers isn't that he comes up short against good defenses, it's that he plays down to the level of his competition. He's had good games this year against top ten pass defenses like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee. Two of his three worst games were against bottom-feeding pass defenses like Cincinnati and Denver. The other was against middling  Kansas City.
PIT is not a top 10 pass defense. In fact they’re in the bottom half for pass defense. They are a top 10 defense against the run, however. 

Thinking about Trubisky but I would hate to make a move like that and have Rivers on my bench outscore Trubisky and cost me the Championship. I do however have a good feeling about Trubisky against the SanFran pass D. Anyone on here like Trubisky on Sunday?

Thinking about Trubisky but I would hate to make a move like that and have Rivers on my bench outscore Trubisky and cost me the Championship. I do however have a good feeling about Trubisky against the SanFran pass D. Anyone on here like Trubisky on Sunday?
:hey:

Dak

He has Amari Cooper.

I have Keenan Allen and Melvin Gordon with Mike Williams on the bench.Afraid to go all in.

And afraid Cooper has another 3td game.

Rhythmdoctor said:
PIT is not a top 10 pass defense. In fact they’re in the bottom half for pass defense. They are a top 10 defense against the run, however. 
They're tied for 7th in Net Pass Yds./Att.

Despyzer said:
Agreed. I am not that scared of Baltimore that I would sit Rivers for some of the guys being mentioned in this thread. That said, it is a tough matchup (at least, on paper) and I feel like I have a guy with higher ceiling in Prescott. His matchup is favorable (might not be quite as sweet as the numbers make it appear (TB been a little tougher against the pass lately) but still good) and there is the rushing element he brings that Rivers doesn't. So I am contemplating Prescott but have not convinced myself of it yet. Despite the matchup, I trust Rivers to be Rivers more than I trust Prescott to be the good Prescott we've seen. He is at home and he's been markedly better there. I just worry they may feed Elliott all game. The added tentacles to this are I also have Cooper and Mel Gordon. Normally, I don't worry much about that but in the 'ship I find myself considering more things. Probably overthinking it. If I go with Prescott and he hooks up with Cooper, I am probably golden. If they hand it to Zeke all day, I am probably looking at 2nd place money. If I go Rivers, I have my QB and RB1 going against statistically the stingiest D. Doesn't terrify me but also doesn't make me feel real good. I am limited in how much I can diversify my risk of the Chargers getting stymied by the Ravens only so much as I'd be at risk of TB playing better than expected against the pass or (more likely) Dallas just runs a lot. :unsure:

Debating sitting rivers for either Lamar jackson or baker mayfield. Rivers had 9 points late in the 4th quarter last week and chiefs went into prevent mode and he miraculously finished with 20.5.

Going back and forth on Rivers vs. Rodgers all week.  Still can’t decide.  Thinking if Allen goes, I will play Rivers...otherwise Aaron.

I agree that looking for better options than Rivers makes sense. But they have to be better options
If not, play the better player, hope for the best and accept that QB won't be your strength this week. You can make it up in other areas. 

Debating sitting rivers for either Lamar jackson or baker mayfield. Rivers had 9 points late in the 4th quarter last week and chiefs went into prevent mode and he miraculously finished with 20.5.
This is why I wouldn't bench him for most of the names in this thread. I can vividly recall going against him in my superbowl 3-4 years ago, Chargers were playing Niners. He had done virtually nothing going into the 4th and ended up with over 30 points. Apart from Mahomes and one or two others, i'd start him. I have him on quite a few of my teams, I think I benched him for Luck in one but that's about it and i'm still debating that one.

Well, no more time to stew about it. Going with Dak tomorrow on the belief he has the higher ceiling. Hope I am not outcoaching myself. 

My opponent just pulled him for Ben. This should be interesting. I wouldn't have done that. Rivers might have a nice game at home with full complement of weapons.

Despyzer said:
Yeah, I was way off-base on that one.

Figured Rivers would do ok but ok was not going to be enough for me this week. Wrong on the first part. We’ll see what Dak can do tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread