Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeSteeler

IDP Asst coach forum question...

Recommended Posts

I did too.  I think most everyone who regularly posts in here (all 5 of us?) also checks the asst. coach side of things.  But what’s left of the idp community here is small enough that it’s hard to fault anyone for using the main forum.

I wish we had the sort of active user base that made having our own separate asst. coach forum necessary.  Sadly, we don’t.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

Looking at the dates on the AC threads and it sure does seem unnecessary to have a sub for that. I'll try to watch that more closely next season.

Disagree.  I rarely am in the mood to answer most of those, and merging the subs would drive me out for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, Hankmoody said:

Disagree.  I rarely am in the mood to answer most of those, and merging the subs would drive me out for good.

Felt like looking this up.  The IDP AC forum saw a whole 17 posts from September 1st till now.  On average we’d be bombarded by about 1 per week.

In my view, this forum is a great resource, but so close to dead that anything the 5-6 of us who regularly show up here can do to draw more traffic is a plus.

YMMV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Felt like looking this up.  The IDP AC forum saw a whole 17 posts from September 1st till now.  On average we’d be bombarded by about 1 per week.

In my view, this forum is a great resource, but so close to dead that anything the 5-6 of us who regularly show up here can do to draw more traffic is a plus.

YMMV.

I get that, but not at the expense of chasing anyone away.  I get notified of new posts via email, and if all I get are the crappy WDIS posts I'll just turn that notification off too.  I suppose it would be one thing if we got quality discussions on them where the OP was discussing why he's torn between the great matchup Geathers has but doesn't trust his noggin while Edmunds plays the Browns who run the heck out of the ball and throw a bunch of underneath passes that Edmunds can feast on.  But we don't get those and aside from that the bottom line is that I don't care about someone else's team and I'm sure they don't care about mine.  I come to this forum to learn stuff and get new insights.  That's why it's a great resource.  Homer takes when Landon Collins goes down, who's the next LB up in ARI now that Bynes is gone, what DB's are taking on Big Nickel snaps?

Wow I just went and looked at the most recent stuff and I am feeling even stronger about this now.

edit: I did kind of miss your point that it's very low volume, but the new posts from Sep 1 in the IDP forum all reside on the first page as well, so it would still be about 1/3 of the page.

Edited by Hankmoody
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I get that, but not at the expense of chasing anyone away.  I get notified of new posts via email, and if all I get are the crappy WDIS posts I'll just turn that notification off too.  I suppose it would be one thing if we got quality discussions on them where the OP was discussing why he's torn between the great matchup Geathers has but doesn't trust his noggin while Edmunds plays the Browns who run the heck out of the ball and throw a bunch of underneath passes that Edmunds can feast on.  But we don't get those and aside from that the bottom line is that I don't care about someone else's team and I'm sure they don't care about mine.  I come to this forum to learn stuff and get new insights.  That's why it's a great resource.  Homer takes when Landon Collins goes down, who's the next LB up in ARI now that Bynes is gone, what DB's are taking on Big Nickel snaps?

Wow I just went and looked at the most recent stuff and I am feeling even stronger about this now.

edit: I did kind of miss your point that it's very low volume, but the new posts from Sep 1 in the IDP forum all reside on the first page as well, so it would still be about 1/3 of the page.

I find this to be the problem in all the WDIS type posts.  Someone asks a simple A or B type question and then you get 5 answers of A or B with no discussion.  That really serves no purpose and is one of the things I hate most about the regular Assistant Coach Forum.  I would hate to see that happen here.  Discussion about why to start A over B is really the value.  It gives reasons that you can possibly transfer to other similar decisions as the year goes on and might give you a different perspective you hadn't thought about. 

 

Unfortunately, the vast majority of FF players want the quick fix.  I am glad that even though the IDP forum doesn't have much traffic the traffic that is here is usually informative.  Maybe its a double edge sword.  The responses are good because the volume is low.  It's unfortunate but maybe it is reality. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, the volume of AC posts here in IDP world is so low I tend to make time to both reply to them and to offer my rationale.  I’ve noticed Gally does the same, and sometimes it’s just a matter of which of us gets there first since we agree 90% of the time.

I would love to see more of this sort of discussion, even if it stems from a simple wdis question.

But Hank’s point is well taken in that, if it does result in an uptick in traffic, it wil become the problem it isn’t now.  I rarely answer questions in the regular AC forum and rarely take as much time explaining my choices when I do, because the volume drowns out any reasonable chance of dialogue.

The obvious answer seems to be for us to be glad we have the forums separated, but to try to have enough conversation around the AC posts we do get that it encourages more.  If an AC post turns into a longer thread on player ranks, lineup strategy, etc. one of us can always revisit the general topic in the main forum.

Appreciate the input!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 11:36 AM, Gally said:

I find this to be the problem in all the WDIS type posts.  Someone asks a simple A or B type question and then you get 5 answers of A or B with no discussion.  That really serves no purpose and is one of the things I hate most about the regular Assistant Coach Forum.  I would hate to see that happen here.  Discussion about why to start A over B is really the value.  It gives reasons that you can possibly transfer to other similar decisions as the year goes on and might give you a different perspective you hadn't thought about. 

 

Unfortunately, the vast majority of FF players want the quick fix.  I am glad that even though the IDP forum doesn't have much traffic the traffic that is here is usually informative.  Maybe its a double edge sword.  The responses are good because the volume is low.  It's unfortunate but maybe it is reality. 

I more meant from the OP.  Again, I don't care about his team, so I'm far more likely to get engaged if he's asking "do I go with Vander Esch's upside or should I play it safe with Schobert" tossing in maybe some details of his scoring system and why Vander Esch is so attractive or why Schobert's safe floor is more important.  Instead we get "Schobert or Vander Esch for the win????" type posts.  I can't really do anything with that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

I more meant from the OP.  Again, I don't care about his team, so I'm far more likely to get engaged if he's asking "do I go with Vander Esch's upside or should I play it safe with Schobert" tossing in maybe some details of his scoring system and why Vander Esch is so attractive or why Schobert's safe floor is more important.  Instead we get "Schobert or Vander Esch for the win????" type posts.  I can't really do anything with that.

I completely agree with that.  I find myself many times having to place a lot of caveats to my answer  (I hate the "Should I pick up player A" request without listing who you have to drop). 

 

In general the Assistant Coach forums are only good if there is discussion.  I can look at thousands of rankings to see if player A is ranked better than B.  I want to know the why someone thinks that way or what matchups may alter the typical ranking that week.  Its why I rarely comment on the main Asst Coach forum on Sunday mornings.  They are inundated with the type of questions you referenced.  It's a waste of time.  Just look at any website rankings for those type answers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.