Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
randall146

randall's ALS diary

I have to say it’s pretty amazing how strongly you seem to be taking this.  Most of us would be a sobbing lump in a corner. 

Good on you, man.  You should think about compiling all of this and publishing it some day. 

All the best to you, and looking forward to reading the rest and getting caught up. Thoughts and prayers and hope you make the most of the holidays with your family. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, higgins said:

😕 I’m so sorry to read this. I remember years ago being a n00b on these boards and Randall (with Magnum as his avatar) welcoming me (with Higgins as my avatar). Thoughts and prayers. 

Thx little buddy. My avatar is still Magnum, just the new one. I’m sure no one would mind if you switched to the new Higgins. Wa wa WEE wa

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Thank you for sharing this, it takes a lot of courage to talk openly about such a bad beat. I wish you and your family the best. 

Greetings Dr Death!  I knew you’d come along at some point. 😉

• Like 6

I read this late last night, and went into deep thought about you. When I looked back at the clock, almost an hour had gone by. I decided to go to bed, and post today. You were in my dreams last night, and all I can remember is that a bunch of people were at a tavern in Rhode Island hanging with you, Good Vibrations was playing in the background, and although I have never met you in person, you were wearing a Duke shirt and you looked like Tom Selleck. Randall, I am really sorry about your diagnosis.  I have always liked you a lot, and I think highly of you. It takes courage to share with us something so private. I hope it serves as therapeutic for you, and if it does, I hope that you continue to share your thoughts and feelings through your journey.  I agree with the above sentiments that your story does make us pause and examine our own lives. Thank you for the self check.

You're in my thoughts, and I reckon my dreams too.  There are so many things I wish for you on your journey.  Keep on keeping on the best you can, and soak up the love that surrounds you. ❤️ 

• Like 14
  • Love 5

Randall, thanks for sharing. This is a bad break and all of my best wishes go to you & yours. There are a ton of good folks here to bounce things off of (or scream at, should venting be required). 

• Thanks 1

I can’t add much except to just be one more of the FBG family to let you know I’ll be thinking about you. Thank you for sharing your story - I wish the best for you and your family.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Otis said:

I have to say it’s pretty amazing how strongly you seem to be taking this.  Most of us would be a sobbing lump in a corner. 

Ive definitely had a few sobbing episodes. Mostly thinking about my kids. I remember probably an hour straight last week of repeatedly wailing “I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to do. I feel so bad for them”

My wife has gotten me through those, staying calm and holding me and talking me through it. She running the whole operation, arranging my appointments, talking to Blue Cross, figuring out who gets told and when. 

She’s getting a really nice necklace with an anchor pendant for Christmas. 

p and s she just walked by as I was posting this. I told her I was posting about it here and people were saying nice things and remembering stuff from years ago. I held her through a short little sobbing session of her own

• Like 4
  • Love 6
  • Sad 11

I lost my mother to ALS 18 months ago and I was primarily responsible for managing her care.  

Let me know if I can be of any help or if you need some advice.

the ALS association was an amazing group that assisted our family.   If there is a chapter near you Id recommend connecting with them if you already havent.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

Randall, I just wanted to add to the sympathies already expressed, and that I'll be keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. I find it really brave that you're sharing this, and I hope it gives you a sense of catharsis and peace to do it. For me, it really drives home the point of not sweating the little things in life and lose focus on the people who are most important.

I am going to pray that God gives you more grace to handle this, but, from the telling, it sounds like you and your wife are already doing amazingly well. My best to you and yours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have people that complain about this forum on a daily basis and some of those days I’m the one complaining.  But most of us keep coming back because it’s a unique little part of the internet where we share our lives and commiserate with people that we mostly don’t know because they are going through similar things in life and life is meant to be shared.  

I sit here reading this story about a brave man I’ve never met and probably will never meet.  Someone I respect as being smarter and more patient than I’ll ever be.  And I sit here in tears typing this, I realize there’s nothing I can do other than offer my sincere hope that you beat this mother####er.  That you and your wife and boys have many more years together.  That you know that this little part of the internet has your back and is wishing nothing but the best for you.  This place is special because of people like you Randall.  

• Like 22
  • Love 5

Will be thinking of you and your family. Whenever I hear of ALS I always think of a coach who was diagnosed with ALS at my moms old school she retired from. He went through all of the emotions of it only to find out later they’d misdiagnosed him and he had Lyme Disease instead. 

• Thanks 1

I'd wish you strength and grace in what must be one of the most tumultuous times a human being can experience, but it sounds like you already have them in spades. Thank you for starting this thread as it has already caused me (and many others, apparently) to reflect on my priorities and what I would do if I were facing a similar situation.

One of my best friends died from MS (not the same thing, obviously, but not all that different, either) a few years ago and a book he found particularly inspirational was Chasing Daylight by Eugene O'Kelly. Everyone would probably be well-served by reading it, actually.

It's really incredible how little we know about neurodegenerative diseases and what causes them. Donations can make a big difference.

ALS Association

Mere words seem of little solace but I have to say best wishes to you and your family. It sounds like you've been blessed with a fantastic one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ahh ####, Randall.  So bummed to hear this -- my mom's brother and father had ALS.  Do what you can/need to do to take care of yourself.  You're in my thoughts.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Thanks 1

Damn... This sucks to hear, Randall. You're a great dude, someone I respect a ton on here. You and your family didn't deserve this.  ####### Bull####.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing your journey through this diagnosis. The FFA can be a great place for support, information and even humor. A place where you can share your vulnerability while trying to remain strong for those around you IRL. We are here for you Randall. Lean on us. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

So sorry to hear this Randall. You’re in our thoughts. I wish you the absolute best of luck in your battle. May sound stupid, but I light candles for people in my life that are in bad spots. I will fire one up for you tonight brother. Stay strong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for sharing this with our ridiculous and ridiculously close community. 

We're about the same age and I've got a couple of young kids too...and I'm struggling to even find the words to say- I can't imagine what you're going through and thopraw to you to continue the courage and grace you've already shown.

I know if there's anything you need, we're all here for you- however small, goofy or important.

• Thanks 2

Very sorry randall.  Thanks for taking the time to share.  You know everyone here is pulling for you.

• Thanks 1

Add me to the list of people who are sorry to hear this. Enjoy Christmas tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your story

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2018 at 11:30 PM, higgins said:

😕 I’m so sorry to read this. I remember years ago being a n00b on these boards and Randall (with Magnum as his avatar) welcoming me (with Higgins as my avatar). Thoughts and prayers. 

I remember that too.

God bless, Randall.  We're all behind you here.

• Thanks 1

So sorry Randall. My Niece's husband was just diagnosed with ALS last month.  Let me repeat what someone else suggested, the alsforums.com website is excellent.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't really know you, sir - and that seems to be my fault - but thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry. This sucks royally.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry Randall.  I have some family and friends who have been through this.  I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.  Thank you for sharing.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your story, randall - I hope this helps you, and I know it helps us understand and sympathize with people with ALS.

From what I've seen, your boys will be better people for this.  They'll have more sympathy and will be eager to help you out with anything you need, and that's likely to extend to the rest of their lives.

I'm sorry this happened to you, Warlight buddy.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the updated post and Merry Christmas to you and your family.  The courage and strength that you have dealing with this all is clear and transparent.  Make no mistake--you can and will have weak moments.  When you do--do not hesitate to come here.  Reading through this thread makes it obvious that you have an army of people in your corner sending you all of the love, support and positivity that you need in those moments.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

be strong fight it like hell and live one hell of a life around it and i wish you the absolute best 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandfather passed away from this horrible disease almost 20 years ago so I have the basic understanding about what you and your family are dealing with and will deal with. My wish for you and your family is that you get the most time possible to be with them. While this disease eventually robs you of your freedom please don't let it rob you of your spirit. 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

A couple of years ago my wife got me a Gleason “no white flags” flag for Christmas. It’s been in my house since then. 

It will be flying under my American flag from now on in your honor, Randall.  It isn’t much of a gesture, but it’s one I can stick to. I wish you love and time.  As much of both as can be.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing.  I wish you all the courage in the world for this difficult journey you are about to endure.  Hopefully, posting here can be therapeutic and help you in some way.  If at the very least knowing you have a message board full of people thinking about you and hoping for the best.  

• Thanks 1

I’m so sorry, man. I do think that if I had to pick someone on this board who I think I would be likely to continue living a meaningful life with this type if diagnosis, you’re on the short list. Obviously, it’s different, but my Mom has had a lot taken from her in the last 35 years by MS, but it hasn’t taken the core of who she is. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:10 PM, AAABatteries said:

We have people that complain about this forum on a daily basis and some of those days I’m the one complaining.  But most of us keep coming back because it’s a unique little part of the internet where we share our lives and commiserate with people that we mostly don’t know because they are going through similar things in life and life is meant to be shared.  

I sit here reading this story about a brave man I’ve never met and probably will never meet.  Someone I respect as being smarter and more patient than I’ll ever be.  And I sit here in tears typing this, I realize there’s nothing I can do other than offer my sincere hope that you beat this mother####er.  That you and your wife and boys have many more years together.  That you know that this little part of the internet has your back and is wishing nothing but the best for you.  This place is special because of people like you Randall.  

I don't do words good. But AAA pretty much summed up my thoughts. Continued thopras to you and your family. Please continue to share if you can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was heart breaking to read.  I simply cannot imagine going thru something like that with my wife and kids. 

Wish you and your family the best and you all will be in our prayers.  

• Thanks 1

Speechless here.

I'm so sorry for you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I will pass your name to a relative of mine who is a nun and she'll put you in their prayer list.

• Thanks 1