What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did a lineup decision cost you the championship? (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
I generally have learned to accept defeat in fantasy because there is so much luck involved there's little you can do to control the result. Except when it comes to lineup decisions. Anybody else lose a championship due to a lineup decision? Unlike when this happens during the regular season this will simmer all winter. 

My lineup decision that cost me was starting Josh Allen over Kirk Cousins. 11 point difference and I lost by 6. I felt comfortable with my choice during the week though it still cost me $360.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally have learned to accept defeat in fantasy because there is so much luck involved there's little you can do to control the result. Except when it comes to lineup decisions. Anybody else lose a championship due to a lineup decision? Unlike when this happens during the regular season this will simmer all winter. 

My lineup decision that cost me was starting Josh Allen over Kirk Cousins. 11 point difference and I lost by 6. I felt comfortable with my choice during the week though it still cost me $360.
My rule is to never beat myself up if my process was solid. Allen over Cousins was the right decision, even if it didn't work out.

I once lost a championship after spending the entire week agonizing over what I saw as two good defensive options. Went with the Chargers, who scored like 2pts, over the Pats, who forced 7 turnovers. I lost by 6.

Not this year but, boy, did I agonize over the decisions.   It would be ideal to set your line-up with confidence and  let the chips fall where they may.  A couple of recent injuries made that impossible.   The way the Saturday games fell, I had to make a couple early decisions...  To be candid, I don't think I made the best decisions and I think some of that was due to Championship week pressure.

started Callaway for Gordon as my WR3

Lost by 2pts, PPR. 2pts. TWO.

the whole time too, I thought to myself "play robert foster" but I was watching the browns game, soooo... ya.

I did everything wrong. I picked up CJA to play (decided not to), benched him, Michel, Fournette for Mack & Jeffrey (Carson was the only right move I had), started Trubisky over Mayfield.

I cost myself 35 points, but it made no difference, still a champ.

In 2007 or 2008 (don’t remember which it was)I had the greatest fantasy team ever assembled. Moss/Welker/CJ2K/Ray Rice/Warner/Vernon Davis in all of their top years (except Warner, but he was still very very solid). I dominated, 13-0, not even one close game. 

Week 15 that year NE played in Buffalo during a blizzard, Welker/Moss did nothing, the rest of my team put up a dud. At flex I debated Arian Foster versus Jerome Harrison, went with Foster who fumbled on his first carry and didn’t see the field for the rest of the game, Harrison went for like 250/3. That decision still haunts me!

Brady over Rodgers in one league.

and Gronk over Njoku or anyone in another cost me the points title by 1.0 points. - Could only lose by 21 and lost by 22.

Such a bad Week 16 for me. 

i spent all week waiver blocking my opponent who had $0 faab left. so of course it didnt matter as i ended up nearly tripling him up.

it's fine to beat yourself up over close lineup decisions... but to fret over a fringe end of roster player who happened to have a better game than one of your stud starters is not reasonable

If you love the fantasy game of football you will always second guess decisions you make. 

As long as you put every effort into it and double checked your gut instincts, then you let it roll. 

The fantasy Gods can be cruel (Brees last week) and generous(CJ this week). 

I think the problem for most folks in season long leagues is that it's tough to lose when you make a wrong decision in a close call. Most would rather win big or lose big.  

That being said, I need 18 points from Nelson and Richard tonight to win my big money league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hope I made the right decisions.  

It's annoying when you leave the winning points on your bench, but I've learned to accept it and not fret over it. That was a 50/50 call you had - Cousins has not been good lately, while Allen's running has given him a solid floor. Don't beat yourself up - it wasn't a bad decision.

ive learned to not think too much about.  

The weeks I spent too much time on a decision I ended up losing.  

So during the playoffs I went with my gut a lot of the time.  It ended up being the right way to go about things.  I absolutely dominated in the playoffs.

Really wanted to start Anderson over Cooks after everyone was in on Anderson and Cooks is maddening. Went with the who got you here theory at 12:56. Down by 22 with Lindsey to go. 🙄

I’m the same way. While disappointed, I have no problem handling losing...except when I make a bad lineup decision, and then only when I had to make a choice between 2 players and I chose the wrong one. Drives me crazy and i perseverate over it for days.  It always seems like I overanalyze everything or ignore my “gut” in favor of “experts”. I’ve learned I’d rather lose due to my own decisions as opposed to losing from listening to others.

Then again, I’m notoriously bad with lineup decisions. I put together good teams that finish near the top of my leagues then manage my way to convincing losses. In one league I played musical QB’s with Brees and Roethlisberger all season and seemed to pick the wrong one every time. Sometimes it seems like all the logic in the world yields random results (e.g. home/away splits, defensive rankings, etc.)

Had Jeffrey in all week. Thought about Robbie Anderson on Sunday at 11am. Then talked myself out of it because last minute changes usually don't work. Except this would have. 

Thankfully it didn't cost me but I was down by 52 going into last night with Mahomes and Carson.

I’m the same way. While disappointed, I have no problem handling losing...except when I make a bad lineup decision, and then only when I had to make a choice between 2 players and I chose the wrong one. Drives me crazy and i perseverate over it for days.  It always seems like I overanalyze everything or ignore my “gut” in favor of “experts”. I’ve learned I’d rather lose due to my own decisions as opposed to losing from listening to others.

Then again, I’m notoriously bad with lineup decisions. I put together good teams that finish near the top of my leagues then manage my way to convincing losses. In one league I played musical QB’s with Brees and Roethlisberger all season and seemed to pick the wrong one every time. Sometimes it seems like all the logic in the world yields random results (e.g. home/away splits, defensive rankings, etc.)
That's me. Good GM, bad coach.

Dynasty league with IDP

Starting Kiko Alonso over Deon Jones cost me the ‘ship. 

Sucks. But I’m looking forward to now just watching football like a regular person. 

My opponent started J. Samuels at TE in Yahoo and benched Ertz.  Had he started Ertz I would have lost the championship.  He is probably fuming right now over that decision and I’m loving every bit of it.

For those of you beating yourself up over lineup decisions, if you lose in other ways you still find ways to torture yourself. My 11-2 team dominated all year -- only losses came in weeks where I had the league's second-highest score -- only to put up a complete stinker in the semis and lose by 4.5. The only lineup decision that would have made a difference was starting Damien Williams over Saquon or Lindsay, which I never remotely considered. So instead I've been obsessing over all of the things that could have put me over the top: Denver kicking the FG on 4th and 1 from the 3 instead of giving Lindsay a crack, Mullens overthrowing Kittle on what would have been an easy TD, etc.

The point is: Losing stinks, and losing a close one stinks even worse. 

Went with Wilson over Watson partly because my opponent had Mahomes and I liked the drama of the Sunday night matchup, then got to feel sick for about five hours. Last night lessened the blow but still left a few point in the table which could cost me depending on how MNF goes. 

Back in 2012, before our league had a trade deadline (stupid, I know), my opponent in the championship traded Mark Ingram and his first round pick (dynasty league) the Sunday morning of our matchup in exchange for DeAngelo Williams, so that he could start him that week.  He started him over LeSean McCoy, who must have been questionable or expected to be limited that week.  DeAngelo went off for 10 carries for 19 yards, while Shady had 9 catches for over 120 total yards.  I beat him by 10 points (PPR league).  

That one is the worst I've seen.  He lost his first rounder and also took the loss because of a panic trade.  It never should have been allowed but we didn't have the rule in place at the time.  We've evolved a bit since then.  

My opponent started J. Samuels at TE in Yahoo and benched Ertz.  Had he started Ertz I would have lost the championship.  He is probably fuming right now over that decision and I’m loving every bit of it.
He absolutely deserves to lose because of that decision.

Serves him right. My buddy started Samuels at TE against me. I'm up 2 on him now and he has no one left. I have Lindsay. Ha ha.

Careful. Fantasy gods are not kind to all. A fumble, and injury, on the first play is still possible...
Yea that's my fear. Thought about taking him out of the lineup for a practice squad Den or Oak player. I think I'll be ok though.

I played Ebron over Samuels in one league last week where Samuels had TE eligibility.  Lost by 7, and I think Samuels outscored him by double digits.  

Last year in the semifinals I started R. Wilson against the Rams in Seattle - anyone remember that beat-down?  Wilson had an awesome season but there were signs that SEA offense was starting to tail off (the previous week in DUUUUVAAAAAAALLLLL Wilson needed several bombs in the 4th quarter to salvage what was an otherwise terrible FF performance to that point.

My other option was C. Newton who lit up the Packers in CAR (my opponent was starting A. Rodgers coming back from that clavicle injury which was more reason to start Cam in the same game :hot:  ).  I seriously agonized over the decision all week and chose Wilson and I ended up losing by 2 instead of winning comfortably.  Compounding the problem was that I had D. Freeman on MNF against the Bucs -- Freeman did almost enough to bring me all the way back but he ALSO fumbled at the 1/2 yard line and instead of an epic MNF comeback win I'm left with this sad story :lol:  

Only way I would have won was starting Watson over Mahomes and Tucker over Lutz....no way would I bench Mahomes so really can't beat myself up at all.

A guy, with Mahomes, in our league, started Theo Riddick with McGuire and Jamaal Williams sitting on waivers. Yeah, he lost by 2 points. At least you guys aren't him. 

I went Reynolds over A. Robinson when I heard Gurley was out.  My thinking was they were going to pass more and Sherman was going to be in Robinson.  I lost b by 1.5 points.  Also could've played Ridley.

Did the same and worried I’d pay for it...worked out ok for me and still won.  Didn’t trust Foles, but should’ve trusted Ertz, esp with the record on the line and how HOU had been trashed by TEs.  Samuels was the safer floor, and turned out to be.  But, I stared at those 33 points since yesterday and wondered if I’d rue the decision.

See i disagree with this. If you are a good GM that means you have a lot of good players to choose from making lineup decisions that much tougher. Bad GMs tend to have zero depth and basically no lineup decisions to make.
Totally agree - according to CBS Owner stats for our league I am 8th out of 12 as far as Coaching ranking....I took 29 coaching risks and only got 17 correct.  What is funny is that of the other 11 owners - one owner took 17 risks and everyone else took less.  So I got more risks right than any other owner took.  And...I was tied for the best record, set a new season scoring record for the 26 year history of the league, and won the championship.  But according to cbssports algorithm I am a below average magic football coach.

Glad to say a player didn't cost me, I won in the finals by a few points, and I'd just like to thank Robby Anderson for last week and this week.

He single-highhandedly won my championship for me. I was decimated by WR injuries and was able to pick up off the waiver wire a few weeks ago.

Thank you Robby!

Dynasty league with IDP

Starting Kiko Alonso over Deon Jones cost me the ‘ship. 

Sucks. But I’m looking forward to now just watching football like a regular person. 
This story is so much more studly than the others.  A tip of the hat on such a memorable loss. Our league is filled with such spicy memories, is pretty damn neat.

See now THAT'S stupid. 

In no fantasy world anywhere in 2018 should any manager bench Zach Ertz.

Decisions didn't cost me the title, going up against the best team all year, Josh Gordon's suspension, my streaming defense, and everybody else having a dud of a game did.  

In one league, had I started Ten DST over Jax in W15, or Howard over ARob or Landry, I would have won the championship. In another, had I started Mack over Drake or Baldwin over Reynolds in W15, along with Ware over Zay in W14, I would have won the championship. Or I could have just not dropped Damien Williams ahead of W14. Got no money in either of those leagues. I think the first league is just one of those things. In the second league, the decisions all seem questionable in retrospect, though there were justifiable reasons for my decisions (Ware was going against Balt, Mack was losing touches to Hines previous game and facing Dallas, Baldwin hadn't practiced all week).

In one league there was collusion and cheating.  I was so mad.  I didn't even look at my lineup in another league and some how I started Dan Arnold over Kenny Golladay!  

Yep - lost my Quarter Final by 4 by starting Tate (1.70) over Jeffrey (17.0)

high score week 15 (5th Place game)

no game week 16 - squad put up 208, easily high score & my best of 2018

Users who are viewing this thread