Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
kupcho1

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JZilla said:

I've been checking these out..  I like Haunt's more classic, steady sound but Spirit sounds like they may have larger balls.  They'll both be on my workout radar!

How about State Faults.. these guys could have been buddies with some of the weirder screamo/post-punk bands from ~15 years ago

I’ll check it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updating my list of favorite albums, thus far, this year.

Albums I immediately fell in love with upon first listen:
Badflower - OK, I'M SICK
Durand Jones and the Indications - American Love Call
The Heavy - Sons (just released last week and it's fantastic!)

Albums that I eventually fell in love with after a few listens:
FIDLAR - Almost Free
SWMRS - Berkeley's On Fire
Speilbergs - This is Not the End
Reignwolf - Hear Me Out
AJR - Neotheater
Cage the Elephant - Social Cues

I posted about the Badflower album back in March but the post never got any responses.  Not that anyone here owes me anything, but I am ALL IN on this band/album and would appreciate it if I could get the groups feedback on this one.   I actually went and saw them live last month in Indianapolis and thought they were great.

Enjoy your holiday weekend, everyone!

J

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, steelcitysledgehammers said:

Updating my list of favorite albums, thus far, this year.

Albums I immediately fell in love with upon first listen:
Badflower - OK, I'M SICK
Durand Jones and the Indications - American Love Call
The Heavy - Sons (just released last week and it's fantastic!)

Albums that I eventually fell in love with after a few listens:
FIDLAR - Almost Free
SWMRS - Berkeley's On Fire
Speilbergs - This is Not the End
Reignwolf - Hear Me Out
AJR - Neotheater
Cage the Elephant - Social Cues

I posted about the Badflower album back in March but the post never got any responses.  Not that anyone here owes me anything, but I am ALL IN on this band/album and would appreciate it if I could get the groups feedback on this one.   I actually went and saw them live last month in Indianapolis and thought they were great.

Enjoy your holiday weekend, everyone!

J

I like the bands that I've heard of. I'll have to give at least a cursory listen to a bunch. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoying the Fontaine’s DC album Dogrel.

Fontaines D.C. are a rock band from Dublin, Ireland, although lead singer Grian Chatten grew up in the County Kildare village of Sallins. The band released their debut studio album, Dogrel, 12 April 2019.Wikipedia

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, trogg78 said:

Really enjoying the Fontaine’s DC album Dogrel.

Fontaines D.C. are a rock band from Dublin, Ireland, although lead singer Grian Chatten grew up in the County Kildare village of Sallins. The band released their debut studio album, Dogrel, 12 April 2019.Wikipedia

I turned this on immediately, as I take your recommendations really seriously. Not that I don't for other people (seriously), but this is more of a RIYL thing. Please post more. It's really damn good so far (two tracks in). 

eta* (after the like): AOTY so far for me, but I haven't listened to a lot. Take it with a grain of salt. "Too Real" is an awesome song. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

But Amyl and the Sniffers sounding pretty rockin so far. 

I wanted to not like this, for similar derivativy-ness reasons as Zig Zags, but damn it some of the songs are tight

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JZilla said:

I wanted to not like this, for similar derivativy-ness reasons as Zig Zags, but damn it some of the songs are tight

Also, real enough for this guy is real enough for me

 

Middle Kids' EP is good

Edited by JZilla
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rockaction said:
5 hours ago, trogg78 said:

Really enjoying the Fontaine’s DC album Dogrel.

Fontaines D.C. are a rock band from Dublin, Ireland, although lead singer Grian Chatten grew up in the County Kildare village of Sallins. The band released their debut studio album, Dogrel, 12 April 2019.Wikipedia

I turned this on immediately, as I take your recommendations really seriously. Not that I don't for other people (seriously), but this is more of a RIYL thing. Please post more. It's really damn good so far (two tracks in). 

eta* (after the like): AOTY so far for me, but I haven't listened to a lot. Take it with a grain of salt. "Too Real" is an awesome song. 

the ####, dude. :kicksrock:

just talked about seeing them open for IDLES, and have been posting abuot them the last year.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RR this week...

 

getting to it late, but with Amyl and the Sniffers putting out their full album, I think it will begin and end there.

 

although looking forward to los scallywags single and one of my favorites, jacuzzi boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

the ####, dude. :kicksrock:

just talked about seeing them open for IDLES, and have been posting abuot them the last year.

Huh?

I mean HUH?

That's odd that I would miss that coming from you, too. You didn't mention them in the same breath as Sleaford, did you? That would sort of be a turn-off (I know you like them, but they don't do it for me...sadly.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Huh?

I mean HUH?

That's odd that I would miss that coming from you, too. You didn't mention them in the same breath as Sleaford, did you? That would sort of be a turn-off (I know you like them, but they don't do it for me...sadly.)

I might've mentioned them once or twice.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I might've mentioned them once or twice.

Hmm...

FONTAINES D.C. will be opening? 

Whozzat? Whazzat? 

Funny, I remember that Flopinho is being asked to sing with Parquet Courts this summer but I can't recall a band that you've mentioned ten times. Priorities...:shrug:

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

the ####, dude. :kicksrock:

just talked about seeing them open for IDLES, and have been posting abuot them the last year.

 

:lmao:

 As soon as I read that I thought does he somehow have Floppo on ignore?

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not this year- but Dream Wife put out a pretty great bit of grrrl last year, including #metoo anthem "somebody".

I mention this, because people apparently don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

plus I'm not wearing any pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

As soon as I read that I thought does he somehow have Floppo on ignore?

I can remember what Eephus drafted in the movie draft a year ago for Best Supporting Actress, but can't remember that Flop mentioned this band like ten times?  Flop got me into Yo La Tengo from one of his playlists, too. 

Oooooof. My participation/performance in this thread is shaky at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The debut album by pronoun is pretty nice girlrock on the poppy side.  Her lowercase letter schtick extends to the album and song titles so Floppo probably won't have any use for her.

stay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The debut album by pronoun is pretty nice girlrock on the poppy side.  Her lowercase letter schtick extends to the album and song titles so Floppo probably won't have any use for her.

stay

No worse than Brockhampton, Kendrick, and now Tyler, The Creator's uppercase shtick.

DAMN.

EARFQUAKE.

AD NAUSEUM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 4:57 PM, JZilla said:

How about State Faults.. these guys could have been buddies with some of the weirder screamo/post-punk bands from ~15 years ago

Just checked out State Faults. Right up my post-hardcore alley. Awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Son Volt has been out awhile and is really bad. Huge disappointment. Not a memorable song in the bunch and all droning, choppy and highly political 

 

The Bouncing Souls released an EP that is very solid. I just wish it had more material on it. 

 

Bob Mould - new one is good. Not too memorable and I haven’t listened to it a whole lot yet

 

I’m kinda anxious for the new Black Keys coming out new month. The early tracks indicate a return to form after the disappointing Turn Blue a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.