Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
kupcho1

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post)

Hot Dad greatest hits out!  

Just Tell Me What Font to Pick (When I'm Making Websites for Kids)

Cassette Tracklist:

Side A:
Two ####s, One ####
Mac DeMarco
Sports Men
Suckin’ on My Tendies
Can You Talk to People Around the World on the Internet?
Rabbits Are (Cool and Fun)
My Grandson (I’d Love for You to Meet)
Bring Me All of Your Teeth
I Like Love
KFC (Waiting for Me)
The Star Wars (I’m in Love With)
No Sex, No Laid
Just Tell Me What Font to Pick (When I’m Making Websites for Kids)
Summer Girls
I Really, Really, Really Like This Image

Side B:
I Don’t Have a Sense of Smell
Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…)
Fun Time Laser Intercourse Beasts
Word Sports
The Killers
Burger King (Aims to Please)
Fieri
the byob vaporwave
If U Reply
Sometimes I Make #### That Rocks
Penis Tip
Web Love
Never Not ####
R.I.P. Meme (feat. FrankJavCee) 

The debut album by Norwegian indie band Spielbergs starts off in kind of a pop-punk groove but during the course of the record takes a left turn toward more interesting things.  There's good variety, solid songwriting and noisy guitars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2019 at 6:50 PM, Eephus said:

January has been pretty thin, at least on the albums front.   Two I've liked that haven't been mentioned yet.

Mystery Hour by Pavo Pavo slots somewhere in between Beach Boys and Beatles in the record rack.  The songs manage to be both unconventional and catchy as hell.  There's always something interesting going on, whether it be melody, harmonies, instrumentation or production flourishes.

Really enjoyed this one on first listen.  Thanks for the heads up.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:59 PM, Eephus said:

The debut album by Norwegian indie band Spielbergs starts off in kind of a pop-punk groove but during the course of the record takes a left turn toward more interesting things.  There's good variety, solid songwriting and noisy guitars.

been really digging this.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 11:59 AM, Eephus said:

These dudes could be the better than The Undertones but there's no way I'm getting past that name.

• Laughing 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, Eephus said:

Just read two positive reviews of this so I’m gonna listen today. Sounds in my wheelhouse. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Hot Dad greatest hits out!  

Just Tell Me What Font to Pick (When I'm Making Websites for Kids)

Cassette Tracklist:

Side A:
Two ####s, One ####
Mac DeMarco
Sports Men
Suckin’ on My Tendies
Can You Talk to People Around the World on the Internet?
Rabbits Are (Cool and Fun)
My Grandson (I’d Love for You to Meet)
Bring Me All of Your Teeth
I Like Love
KFC (Waiting for Me)
The Star Wars (I’m in Love With)
No Sex, No Laid
Just Tell Me What Font to Pick (When I’m Making Websites for Kids)
Summer Girls
I Really, Really, Really Like This Image

Side B:
I Don’t Have a Sense of Smell
Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…)
Fun Time Laser Intercourse Beasts
Word Sports
The Killers
Burger King (Aims to Please)
Fieri
the byob vaporwave
If U Reply
Sometimes I Make #### That Rocks
Penis Tip
Web Love
Never Not ####
R.I.P. Meme (feat. FrankJavCee) 

Lol wtf

On 2/2/2019 at 12:59 PM, Eephus said:

I've listened to this a couple times this weekend.  Big fan---especially of that left turn.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Just read two positive reviews of this so I’m gonna listen today. Sounds in my wheelhouse. 

Yeah. This is good. 

16 hours ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

I've listened to this a couple times this weekend.  Big fan---especially of that left turn.  

I must not have listened to enough of it on my drive home yesterday to get the left turn.

3 hours ago, Jaysus said:

I must not have listened to enough of it on my drive home yesterday to get the left turn.

I was assuming it was the McDonald’s song. This album improves with every listen imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Oh duh. That was a director joke. Dammit. 

Not really guys from even the same half century but, it struck me as an apt replacement crowd fave now that the Orwells got themselves #MeToo'd

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Oh duh. That was a director joke. Dammit. 

it works both ways

48 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:
3 hours ago, Jaysus said:

I was assuming it was the McDonald’s song. This album improves with every listen imo. 

I playlisted a couple singles a couple weeks ago, didn't know they even had an album until the post above. like Jaysus, I haven't gotten all the way through and haven't hit the left turn either.

On 2/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, Eephus said:

Giving it a background spin while I work. 

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:
4 hours ago, Nigel Tufnel said:
7 hours ago, Jaysus said:

I playlisted a couple singles a couple weeks ago, didn't know they even had an album until the post above. like Jaysus, I haven't gotten all the way through and haven't hit the left turn either.

listened all the way through- while it veers slightly more into Nigel/Jaysus stylee punk, it's in my wheelhouse too. favorite album of 2019 so far.

is Massive Attack due for an album? I just got alerted that they're touring.

got tickets to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony for the wife (and me): Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Def Lepperd, the Cure, Radiohead.

no idea who will actually be there and who will actually be playing... if anybody. have to figure stevie lives for this stuff... the rest, no idea.

• Like 1

Apparently, based off the first single, The Lenonheads are now a reggae band

15 hours ago, Epic Problem said:

Apparently, based off the first single, The Lenonheads are now a reggae band

This is bad.  However on a related note I think I've listened to more Juliana Hatfield this past year than I did in the previous 46..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, El Floppo said:

got tickets to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony for the wife (and me): Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Def Lepperd, the Cure, Radiohead.

no idea who will actually be there and who will actually be playing... if anybody. have to figure stevie lives for this stuff... the rest, no idea.

:shrug: I'd expect them all to show, everyone usually does.. unless dead or pissed off.. I love these.. when is the show?  They usually turn up on HBO in May

Edited by JZilla

7 minutes ago, JZilla said:

This is bad.  However on a related note I think I've listened to more Juliana Hatfield this past year than I did in the previous 46..

Almost as bad as my spelling of Lemonheads. 

19 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I’ve listened to the Spielbergs a lot this week. Looking forward to Bob Mould’s new one on Friday. 

I still have not made it all they way though, but I did skip to the McDonalds song last night. 

16 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

I still have not made it all they way though, but I did skip to the McDonalds song last night. 

Really? This seems like your kinda jam. 

7 minutes ago, VandyMan said:

He skipped TO it, not past it.

No, I was referring to the fact that he hasn’t made it all the way through the album. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

No, I was referring to the fact that he hasn’t made it all the way through the album. 

“Jam” being the kinda music they play. Stupidly worded I guess. 

1 hour ago, Epic Problem said:

Almost as bad as my spelling of Lemonheads. 

It's a shame about Raj

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

5 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

“Jam” being the kinda music they play. Stupidly worded I guess. 

I like it, I have just only remembered about it on my car ride home the last two days. 

More from Scandinavia

Noise & Romance from Danish band The Entrepreneurs is kind of similar to Spielbergs in that it's rooted in punk but adds a bunch of texture and variations in the studio.  I'm not a fan of the singer but the record is pretty decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

More from Scandinavia

Noise & Romance from Danish band The Entrepreneurs is kind of similar to Spielbergs in that it's rooted in punk but adds a bunch of texture and variations in the studio.  I'm not a fan of the singer but the record is pretty decent.

sounds like my cup of cake- thanks.

for the singer/songwriter fans out there- Steve Gunn's 2019 album, The Unseen in Between, has a very pared down, Nick Drake vibe... some tunes even this non-singer/songwriter fan likes (morning is mended gets a big thumbup).

Spielbergs have a good amount of late Raveonettes in there, at least to my ears.  

eta* That's a good thing, IMO.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

I like that Spielbergs album too. 

This one is late 2018 but I'm enjoying the Peach Pit album Being So Normal. It's got some kind of laid back meandering jangly guitar songs that remind me of the best Plants and Animals songs (specifically Parc Avenue). They have some short three minute power pop songs that are pretty solid too.

Tommy's Party

Alrighty Aphrodite

Hot Knifer

49 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I like that Spielbergs album too. 

This one is late 2018 but I'm enjoying the Peach Pit album Being So Normal. It's got some kind of laid back meandering jangly guitar songs that remind me of the best Plants and Animals songs (specifically Parc Avenue). They have some short three minute power pop songs that are pretty solid too.

Tommy's Party

Alrighty Aphrodite

Hot Knifer

really liked that one. will definitely listen in to this (wasn't a big fan of the previous peach pit from a few years' back).

couple of ladies that have been consistently enjoyable for me with new stuff this year...

Sneaks (full album- highway hypnosis- has some lo-fi MIA, fka twigs, grime stuff in there)... money don't grow on trees

Lizzo- latest single, Juice, seems like it should have already been made if it hasn't... kind of timeless r&b pop summer time banger in a Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars meets Missy Elliot way (except probably nc17). big fan of Lizzo. 

RR with Foxygen, LCD Soundsystem, Ex Hex, Dr. Dog, Panda Bear, (the ubiquitous) GRMLN, Girlpool, deadmau5 and the Avett Brothers.  Great week.:thumbup:

• Like 1

Dandy Warhols new one is fun.  Motor City Steel, Highlife ... good tunes

3 hours ago, kupcho1 said:

RR with Foxygen, LCD Soundsystem, Ex Hex, Dr. Dog, Panda Bear, (the ubiquitous) GRMLN, Girlpool, deadmau5 and the Avett Brothers.  Great week.:thumbup:

a lot of overlap here with those, plus:

LCD Soundsystem- album, electric lady sessions

Wand

the coathangers

flat worms

FONTAINES D.C. (after all their great singles last year, I'm hoping an album comes out soon- Im seeing them open for IDLES in May)

Liam Bailey

Heavy Lungs (looks like an album)

Beirut (album is out for a couple weeks now- at first listen, nothing elevated, but it all sounds good and beirutey).

The first handful of songs on my RR today all reminded me of Idles... then I got a Megan Trainer song  :bag:

1 minute ago, Jaysus said:

The first handful of songs on my RR today all reminded me of Idles... then I got a Megan Trainer song  :bag:

:popcorn: