What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (6 Viewers)

Harmony Hall was the first track I heard. It may very well be over five minutes, and calling it short is an error on my end, likely caused by listening to it weeks ago.

The three I heard today were rather short. And, as you intoned, kind of unlikable so far.  
Sunflower is downright weird and borderline jam bandy. Strange. 

Sunflower is downright weird and borderline jam bandy. Strange. 
Yeah, Pitchfork pointed that out before I got to hear it. Totally colored my listening experience. It did sound like Phish/jammier Dead.  

Not that I really blame Pitchfork -- I think I was going to hear that influence regardless. 

a tune (boy's got to go) from last year's BRONCHO album popped up this morning. I had kind of dismissed it last year when it came out- their last couple haven't really had antying that popped and it all kind of mushed together... but today, for some reason, it's working for me.

RR looking great today- fingers crossed for some good stuff:

protomartyr

the national

GRMLN 

pile

coathangers 

japan (?... assuming it's not the david sylvian reunited outfit and is going to be terrible)

foals (album seems to be out)

versing

the gotobeds

FONTAINES D.C.

the hold steady

greys

billie eilish

say sue me

chemical bros

vampire weekend

helado negro

tropical #### storm

- I think that's the most promising songs I've ever listed... hope they're all god.

ok- say sue me here, but the wife and kids were watching american idol on dvr last night- must be back on- and when I got home late from work told me I had to watch this guy named alejandro's audition.

the guy is good. really good. some crazy guitar pluck/chord guitar method. reminds a bit of a more indie-guitar based how to dress well with breathy falsetto and some nice musicality. google shows that he's been performing as scarypoolparty, with music on spotify, youtube etc. (I'm a couple into his spotify stuff- the produced stuff is more poppy than indie, but still good). 

ok- say sue me here, but the wife and kids were watching american idol on dvr last night- must be back on- and when I got home late from work told me I had to watch this guy named alejandro's audition.

the guy is good. really good. some crazy guitar pluck/chord guitar method. reminds a bit of a more indie-guitar based how to dress well with breathy falsetto and some nice musicality. google shows that he's been performing as scarypoolparty, with music on spotify, youtube etc. (I'm a couple into his spotify stuff- the produced stuff is more poppy than indie, but still good). 
My attorney will be in touch. 

Oops. Probably should have put this in the metal thread. Oh well. Rawk. 
I kinda remember liking baroness. not my wheelhouse, but like deafheaven, when the mood strikes it scratches all right itches. or itches all the right scratches. turns my crank when the crank needs turning. in a good way. I like them. 

I don't like Jeff Rosentstock because Deafhaven doesn't like Jeff Rosenstock.

but I am liking the new Foals album (pt 1)... even though the singles didn't really grab me as they came out. 

El Floppo said:
RR looking great today- fingers crossed for some good stuff:

protomartyr

the national

GRMLN 

pile

coathangers 

japan (?... assuming it's not the david sylvian reunited outfit and is going to be terrible)

foals (album seems to be out)

versing

the gotobeds

FONTAINES D.C.

the hold steady

greys

billie eilish

say sue me

chemical bros

vampire weekend

helado negro

tropical #### storm

- I think that's the most promising songs I've ever listed... hope they're all god.
My RR also enticing this week:

Andrew Bird

The National

The Mountain Goats

Vampire Weekend

Wild Pink

Big Thief

GBV

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

The Drums

Fred Thomas

Wand

Sebadoh

Sam Evian

John Vanderslice

So far, I'm about four tracks into Father Of The Bride by Vampire Weekend. They're, um, short? 

That's about the best I can say about them so far. I may wind up loving this, and they certainly are all pretty and precious, but I think Ezra misses Rostam. A lot.
I’m a big VW fan but don’t really like any of the 4 songs I’ve heard from FOTB and actually dislike 3 of them. 

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the bolded. 

Huh, I haven't been in here in a while I guess.

I like the new Broken Social Scene single - Can't Find My Heart. It's definitely in the more straightforward rock vein of their stuff. Almost Arcade Fire-ish?

The more I am listening to that album, the more I am digging it.  While not announced I am hoping to catch a Pup/PkewX3 tour this year.
PUP are playing a headlining show at Echo Beach in Toronto. It's a 5000 capacity outdoor venue, they've said it's by far the largest place they've been top billed for. Twin Peaks and Charly Bliss are supporting, pretty sure I have to go. 

I preordered their pink vinyl for the new album today and they played their first late night show this week on Seth Myers and killed it. 

I am all-in on this band like I haven't been on one in a while. 

PUP are playing a headlining show at Echo Beach in Toronto. It's a 5000 capacity outdoor venue, they've said it's by far the largest place they've been top billed for. Twin Peaks and Charly Bliss are supporting, pretty sure I have to go. 
hoping they have some new stuff soon... likey.

I preordered their pink vinyl for the new album today and they played their first late night show this week on Seth Myers and killed it. 

I am all-in on this band like I haven't been on one in a while. 
I post it all the time, but so you see it, Pup's Reservoir on KEXP needs a look if you like them that much. It soars.  Just love posting it for you. 

Reservoir.

La Dispute's Panaroma, which Eeph bumped for me, isn't what I thought it would be after four singles. Just a bummer. Loved their Wildlife back in 2011.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the big Strand of Oaks fanboy on this board and am loving Tim's new one.  Eraserland is a return from the boundary pushing of the last 1 1/2 records.  It's classic rock with big melodies, sing-along choruses and its heart planted squarely on its sleeve.

Other recent favorites are a pair of relatively sedate solo albums from bandleaders.  Jon Fratelli of the Fratellis released Bright Night Flowers.  Its confessional lyrics and string arrangements are a long way from "Chelsea Dagger.  Finn Andrews' solo debut has a bit of cabaret about it.  You can see the line between The Veils and his solo record but it's a much quieter set than the albums from his band.

Ill have to listen to that Strand of Oaks now- is on my RR, but I was head-down when it played, so I missed it.

some stuff from bands I've been waiting for this week...

- hotel lux

- PUP

- ausmuteants

- pist idiots

- institute

surprised and excited to see Asian Dub Foundation pop up... but it appears to be a release, or re-release of old stuff circa Rafi's Revenge... "bonus tracks"

eta: btw- new plague vendor single rawks. and I still don't like the name.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the big Strand of Oaks fanboy on this board and am loving Tim's new one.  Eraserland is a return from the boundary pushing of the last 1 1/2 records.  It's classic rock with big melodies, sing-along choruses and its heart planted squarely on its sleeve.
Liking Strand of Oaks too. 

Full Releases I am excited about today: Ty Segall, Free Throw, Epic Beard Men, Laura Stevenson

ETA: I've given the full Free Throw a spin, it's ok.  I liked the single best though.

Users who are viewing this thread