What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (1 Viewer)

yeah- my RR today is pretty fun too.

dodos

foxygen

interpol (the weekend- sounded great)

cage elephants

ty

modest mouse (also sounded great)

####kid

mikal cronin

gang of four (awful)

greys

anna meredith

billie eilish (yeah- entire floppo household is excited about this... wife is thinking about seeing her live with floppinho)

white denim

show me the body

craig finn

helms alee

sebadoh

how to dress well

GRMLN (looks like a full album)

ex hex

lambchop

stand of oaks (still haven't listened- looking forward to it).

Haha. Not a fan?
Usually a little too weird/unfocused for me.. solid enough that I'd always give em a look tho

In other release news.. For you REAL metal fans.. Yngwie just put out a (mostly) covers record! Still got it 🎸

(eta - it's actually pretty ####### good)

Last edited by a moderator:
Posthumous releases from the vaults usually are a mixed bag.  The artist chose not to release them at the time for artistic or commercial reasons and no longer has any input into the record.  That said, "You're the Man" the "new" album from Marvin Gaye is still cause for celebration. 

Chronologically, it falls between "What's Going On" and "Let's Get it On" which is about as high a career peak as any.  Some of the tracks have been compiled elsewhere previously but it's an unexpected treat to have a full album of material.

Posthumous releases from the vaults usually are a mixed bag.  The artist chose not to release them at the time for artistic or commercial reasons and no longer has any input into the record.  That said, "You're the Man" the "new" album from Marvin Gaye is still cause for celebration. 

Chronologically, it falls between "What's Going On" and "Let's Get it On" which is about as high a career peak as any.  Some of the tracks have been compiled elsewhere previously but it's an unexpected treat to have a full album of material.
lol... this came onto my RR today, but I figured it was some ironic respelling of his name for a new band that plays homage music. will have to listen more actively....

El Floppo said:
lol... this came onto my RR today, but I figured it was some ironic respelling of his name for a new band that plays homage music. will have to listen more actively....
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. had to change their name to JR JR

The new White Denim is a lot like the record they put out last year.   It has more than its share of hooks and its groove doesn't stray into too much hippie business.  It's not the kind of record that stays with me these days but I'm sure the material is great live.

Crows are signed to IDLES' label and have been opening for them on their current UK tour.  Crows are less aggressive and poetic than the headliners but they're more tasteful in their used of capitalization.  Crows sound takes your basic post-punk superstructure and pastes some shoegaze and metal stuff on it.  2019 hasn't been a great year for guitar bands IMO but this record may be the best one I've heard.

Chain of Being

Crows are signed to IDLES' label and have been opening for them on their current UK tour.  Crows are less aggressive and poetic than the headliners but they're more tasteful in their used of capitalization.  Crows sound takes your basic post-punk superstructure and pastes some shoegaze and metal stuff on it.  2019 hasn't been a great year for guitar bands IMO but this record may be the best one I've heard.

Chain of Being
Lol and Blackdot

After more listens, I've cooled a bit on Crows.  They fly only as high as their frontman James Cox can flap his wings.    He's a perfectly decent singer but he lacks that je ne sais quoi.  He really enunciates well though.

Their sound reminds me of Shame who some people here liked. 

Can't remember if I brought up PINK MEXICO, but I've been liking them a lot. Mashup of a lot of Brooklyn post sounds. Plus all caps.

Full Releases I am excited about today: Ty Segall, Free Throw, Epic Beard Men, Laura Stevenson

ETA: I've given the full Free Throw a spin, it's ok.  I liked the single best though.
UPDATE: the unlisted White Denim was my favorite LP released on Friday. (although I did find myself giving Epic Beard Men another spin this morning)

Favorite Albums of 2019 so far

1. Jenny Lewis, ON THE LINE
2. Cass McCombs, TIP OF THE SPHERE
3. Garcia Peoples, NATURAL FACTS
4, Sharon Van Etten, REMIND ME TOMORROW
5. Jessica Pratt, QUIET SIGNS

After more listens, I've cooled a bit on Crows.  They fly only as high as their frontman James Cox can flap his wings.    He's a perfectly decent singer but he lacks that je ne sais quoi.  He really enunciates well though.

Their sound reminds me of Shame who some people here liked. 
I'm a couple in and really liking it. 

i'll keep your front-man comment in mind as I listen through and re-listen later.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I never heard of Zig Zags until I caught up with my release radar today, but I found my new favorite song of 2019 and am anxiously awaiting the LP release on May 10th. 

Check out Fallout if want to bang your head like if that dude from Megadeath was still in Metallica. 

the new PUP album is a fun little banger... it is all I listened to so far today and I am a-ok with that. 

🎶 But you know me I've always been a little masochistic!🎶
Pitchfork review absolutely loves it, the guy who wrote tweeted "Maybe it's possible for the new @puptheband album to slap harder, but I can't really see how. Best rawk album of 2019 by several miles."

....and 7.9 :rolleyes:

Just spun the PUP album. I'm going to immediately spin it again. I'm not sure it's as good as their first, and the critical praise, as always, is two albums too late for bands like this, but it's ####### ####### awesome on first listen.  

That's high praise from me, who can't seem to listen to anything but singles these days.  

Wow. I love it so far. I used to post "Reservoir" everywhere, e.g, on Facebook, etc. I was frustrated by the critical response their first got. It felt like a dismissal of a band by people who didn't like or didn't understand how good the genre of poppy and melodic punk can be. I feel like I wasn't wrong. This is a lot of fun and might indeed attempt to rock harder, as NV notes somebody pointed out, but their first album had a huge melodic and harmonic element to it, too.  

I sometimes wonder what the press is missing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, maybe that little mini-review bit off a little bit more than I should chew, but it's a pretty fine, complex, and technically proficient album.  

Liam Bailey collaborating on an EP with some nice retro jungle beats. his voice and that sound go surprisingly well together.

Users who are viewing this thread