What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long could you survive in the wilderness? (1 Viewer)

Well?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • 1 month

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • Probably perish during Winter

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Indefinitely

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • I cant live 2 hours without my cell phone

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
Lets say you were dropped in the middle of a forest. You have a pocket knife. A super trendy metal water bottle that you got as a gift from some vendor. It is summer currently. You are dressed for summer. Lets say it is a climate where it will get cold and snow in the winter. You cant simply hike to safety, your only option is to get found. 

Due to a magic ONE WAY portal there is a never ending supply of toilet paper that cannot be eaten because it is poisonous, but it does not affect your rear because that area has an immunity to it. 

There is one river nearby and a pond too. No pool. It has an adequate amount of fish but does freeze over. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets say you were dropped in the middle of a forest. You have a pocket knife. A super trendy metal water bottle that you got as a gift from some vendor. It is summer currently. You are dressed for summer. Lets say it is a climate where it will get cold and snow in the winter. You cant simply hike to safety, your only option is to get found. 
I think I could get found by winter. 

Assuming you're in good health to start and there is a fresh water source nearby, the biggest issue as time goes on would be food.  

With the supplies provided, I don't think my hunting, gathering and fishing skills would be sufficient to avoid starvation.  If I had a chance to prepare and could research edible plants in the area, maybe I could last until winter.

Like you tap out or you die?

Tap out I'm guessing a 3-4 days. That may be generous. Really depends where you put me though.

You just die, probably would make it a couple weeks.

TP is way down the list of requested items - gross but just saying.

Could easily survive during summer months if there was promise of a resort stay at the end. Once winter arrives food would be scarce and the summer clothes woefully unfashionable. Death would be a blessing. 

Kinda depends where you are dropped

proximity to water and food, weather, dangerous animals etc.

I'll use my pocket knife to carve a surveying stake which I can pound into the ground with a rock. It should only take a few minutes for a backhoe to come run it over.  :construction:

Kinda depends where you are dropped

proximity to water and food, weather, dangerous animals etc.
This.  Getting dropped in the desert is a whole lot different than getting dropped into the forest near fresh, running water. And getting dropped in Northern Canada vs Northern California would make a big difference as fall turns into winter. 

Assuming water and food sources, shelter materials, and no extreme temps in either direction I don’t want to say indefinitely but I could go quite a while. Change any of those variables though and the time frame drops considerably. 

3-4 hours then the need for an insulin shot would hook in (as a person who has had type one diabetes for 42 years)--after that I am pretty much bear food. 

So I'm immune to the poison in the TP?  But it provides no nutritional value? So I still need to catch fish or find some berries then. I give it a month or two probably.

Due to a magic portal there is a never ending supply of toilet paper that cannot be eaten because it is poisonous, but your ###### has an immunity to it. 

There is one river nearby and a pond too. No pool. It has an adequate amount of fish but does freeze over. 
I would definitely make it out alive assuming average forest conditions.   you’d be hard pressed to find a river in the USA that doesn’t have humans within a few days of walking.  If it’s in a remote part of Canada or Siberia It’d be a lot more difficult

assuming no possible contact with people and no ability to attain fire, 100% of fbgs die within two weeks if there is a harsh winter.  Lack of Food and warmth will kill most in under a week.

Can I take the magic portal back to the poisonous toilet paper factory? Or at least send a poop-smeared SOS?

Assuming you're in good health to start and there is a fresh water source nearby, the biggest issue as time goes on would be food.  

With the supplies provided, I don't think my hunting, gathering and fishing skills would be sufficient to avoid starvation.  If I had a chance to prepare and could research edible plants in the area, maybe I could last until winter.
This is one time where being a fatass could come in handy.  You could easily last a winter with little food if your body has enough fat on it to sustain you. 

I think there’s unknowns in the OP that would determine how long you could last.  For example, you say there’s a river and plenty of fish  - what kind and how easily are they caught?  Are there any poisonous plants or mushrooms nearby that I may eat?  I’d guess I could survive until winter no problem - how severe the winter is and my ability to make fire would determine the rest.

People into this topic should put the show “Alone” in their queue. Great show.

Those people have gear, some food, and are experts at this and they last anywhere from a couple days to a couple months. 

For this thread, you get no gear, poor clothes and are in a even half way inhospitable climate it’s going to get pretty ugly pretty quick.

Those people have gear, some food, and are experts at this and they last anywhere from a couple days to a couple months. 

For this thread, you get no gear, poor clothes and are in a even half way inhospitable climate it’s going to get pretty ugly pretty quick.
Would they be able to last longer if they didn't have the option to tap out?

But you don’t have the guy filming to haul you out.  You may feel desperate but I promise unless a wild animal gets you, you aren’t going to die in two weeks (There’s a river which means you should have fresh water)

Pro tip. First thing you do if you get stranded in the forest is collect dry kindling and leaves and what not and protect it from weather.  Fire is life, just ask Probst. Winter will kill you under the stated paramaters but there are a ton of food options in summer if you have a knife. Not abundant food, but enough to survive. 

Pro tip. First thing you do if you get stranded in the forest is collect dry kindling and leaves and what not and protect it from weather.  Fire is life, just ask Probst. Winter will kill you under the stated paramaters but there are a ton of food options in summer if you have a knife. Not abundant food, but enough to survive. 
How much does luck play into all of this?

If I get dropped off at the end of a 3 week dry spell I'm okay with my chances of getting a fire going. In the middle of monsoon season, forget it.

I can build a passable snare, but not sure if I could figure out the prime place to put it. If I get fortunate and snag a deer, I can fashion some sort of boots and cloak for dealing with the elements.

How much does luck play into all of this?

If I get dropped off at the end of a 3 week dry spell I'm okay with my chances of getting a fire going. In the middle of monsoon season, forget it.

I can build a passable snare, but not sure if I could figure out the prime place to put it. If I get fortunate and snag a deer, I can fashion some sort of boots and cloak for dealing with the elements.
You aren’t getting a deer with a pocket knife. But you can eat worms and beetles for days off a log roll or two. You should also be able to spear a fish every few days with the possibility of small game in traps. 

If you have no winter clothes you are done for. You can’t catch big  enough game with the tools allotted to fashion clothing.   

People talking about winter clothing...unlimited TP, you are set.  Mummify yourself and you have no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread