What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drunk Driving Penalities, Too Strict/Lenient/Just Right (1 Viewer)

Drunk Driving Laws

• Too Strict

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Just Right

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Too Lenient

Votes: 45 53.6%

• Total voters
You can say DUI laws are too lenient, but what if it is your loved one that is hurt or worse as a result of someone driving impaired? 

What are the DUI penalties like in Germany?
Mandatory 6 month suspension(actually more like 9 because the clock doesn't start until you are processed) fine between $2000-$5000.  If you blow a .16 you have to undergo psychological evaluations before having your license reinstated. ETA---If you fail you have to wait 3-6 months to retake and have to pay for mandatory counseling.

From what I am told the same penalties apply for DUI on a bike. 

ETA---- reading up on it now, if you have been rung up once and blow a .03 it's a mandatory two year suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the initial position of MADD, they lobbied for drunk driving laws to be .20 or above. Then the insurance companies got involved, MADD became zealots, its original founder left because of it and now we've got .08 across the country. 

Too strict.  

eta* You'd be surprised just how quickly one gets to .08 at a restaurant, even if it's only a beer or two or a bottle of wine. 

Fine with the penalties, but not where the line in the sand has been drawn. Think .08 is a bit excessive and have heard that Utah was dropping it to .05, which is a joke.

So that makes it ok cause no one got hurt? 
I think you're mistaking what lenient means in this context. Are the laws too lenient, i.e., too accommodating of drunk drivers.  

eta* Yeah, judging from your argument you mean to be complaining about the "too strict" vote. You're arguing that the people that think the laws and enforcement of them is too strict aren't taking proper considerations for the potential to have a friend or loved one hurt in the car wreck.  That's what I think you're trying to say.  

Yeah im fairly certain we have all drank and drive at .08 and been perfectly fine. To ruin someone's life for that seems harsh. 
What about the person who was hit and killed by them? Was their life ruined, their family, friends?

I drank yesterday from 12 until about 430. Then ate a huge meal, took a nap, then dessert and coffee. I didn’t get behind the wheel until 1045, pretty sure my BAC was 0 when I did, just not worth it.

& it wasn’t the penalties that deterred me, it was the moral obligation to my wife & kids... the penalties are a joke, imo.

Why am I not surprised at the posters who in gun control threads make all sorts of (bad) analogues and references to cars and drunk driving have not posted here?

Fine with the penalties, but not where the line in the sand has been drawn. Think .08 is a bit excessive and have heard that Utah was dropping it to .05, which is a joke.
When it gets to .05, that won't be enough.  Eventually it'll get to the point where trace amounts are enough to get drilled.  And until the tolerance is zero, someone will complain that the BAL is too high.

For the record, I don't take the chance if I am driving.  The cost in insurance and legal bills is enough to make things rough for years unless you're making 6 figures, not even counting the inconvenience.  I probably drove drunk once when I was a dumb 21 year old.  Realized when I got where I was going that I was buzzed.  Haven't done it again since then.  Also grew up with a father that drank a half bottle of JD every night and drove drunk all the time.  I was in the truck with him as an 11 year old when he drove down the wrong lane of a pretty busy 2 lane street (Was not busy when he did it).

I think at the low end, the old .1/.12 was fine.  I think .08 is low, but I also think that people that blow high enough to be truly impaired and do it multiple times, the penalties are too low.  

eta* You'd be surprised just how quickly one gets to .08 at a restaurant, even if it's only a beer or two or a bottle of wine. 
A beer or two won't get you there.  If you drink a whole bottle of wine by yourself, yeah, that would probably do it.

What about the person who was hit and killed by them? Was their life ruined, their family, friends?

I drank yesterday from 12 until about 430. Then ate a huge meal, took a nap, then dessert and coffee. I didn’t get behind the wheel until 1045, pretty sure my BAC was 0 when I did, just not worth it.

& it wasn’t the penalties that deterred me, it was the moral obligation to my wife & kids... the penalties are a joke, imo.
Depends how much you drank. You'd be surprised how long it stays in your system. And no, I've never gotten a DUI so there's no crusade here, I just think laws are too strict because of the level they're testing for. I think most people are competent at .12.

And it's good that you didn't drink with your wife and kids in the car. You do indeed have a moral/familial obligation to them.  

A beer or two won't get you there.  If you drink a whole bottle of wine by yourself, yeah, that would probably do it.
Beer or three, depending on weight. California puts out a chart every year. I'm three beers. That seems awfully low, especially since

• they're basing it off of macro domestics.
  • I'm two twenty on a lean day 
  • And serious food and drink people easily polish a bottle of wine off with a meal. It's part of the meal. 

According to the initial position of MADD, they lobbied for drunk driving laws to be .20 or above. Then the insurance companies got involved, MADD became zealots, its original founder left because of it and now we've got .08 across the country. 

Too strict.  

This.  Why are DUI's lumped in one group?  I'd really like to answer both for the poll.  Too harsh if someone has a couple of drinks and gets pull over for something like a burnt out tail light and blows a .08.  Yes it was stupid to drive but it's not worthy of jail time, long licenses suspension etc...If it's your first time.  Still stupid and should be penalized but in that instance I'm not sure it's really worse than someone running a red light or driving 15 mph over the limit.  I'm talking barely at .08 no noticeable impairment.

Now if you're in the .15 range the penalty isn't harsh enough.  There's a point were people are clearly impaired and should face steep fines, license suspensions and perhaps even jail for the first time.  For sure jail on the 1st one if you cause an accident...even a minor one.

Depends how much you drank. You'd be surprised how long it stays in your system. And no, I've never gotten a DUI so there's no crusade here, I just think laws are too strict because of the level they're testing for. I think most people are competent at .12.

And it's good that you didn't drink with your wife and kids in the car. You do indeed have a moral/familial obligation to them.  
I’m competent at .12, that doesn’t mean my reaction time and other abilities aren’t impaired. 

Are there a bunch of fatal accidents involving people at .08?  Not being facetious here it's just whenever I see in the news about a DUI fatality it's almost always someone well above the .08 limit.  Almost always involves someone seriously impaired. 

Are there a bunch of fatal accidents involving people at .08?  Not being facetious here it's just whenever I see in the news about a DUI fatality it's almost always someone well above the .08 limit.  Almost always involves someone seriously impaired. 
I’m sure of the thousands and thousands of people who are killed annually in a DUI accident, some have levels of .08-.1

Doesn't this vary wildly by state?
Pulled this from a quick Google search. 

Choose Your State. Most states have now set .08% blood alcohol concentration (BAC) as the legal limit for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while impaired (DWI). For commercial drivers, a BAC of .04% can result in a DUI or DWI conviction nationwide.

DUI & DWI Legal Limit, Laws, & Enforcement | DMV.ORG

https://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/dui.php

I agree with the sentiment that there should be stiffer penalties as BAC rises. I also think there should be stiffer penalties if the person is actually pulled over because they were driving erratically vs stopped for a broken tail light or for expired plates. 

My buddy got one not too long ago in AZ. I thought the penalty was pretty stiff for a first timer, but I also agree it should be stiff. His BAC was 0.11

30 days suspended license - no driving at all

90 days only driving to work

1 year interlock on car - reduced to 6 months after 16 hours of counseling and all-day defensive driving class

24 hours in jail

That’s a pretty good pirice to pay, IMO.
You're forgetting the mandatory minimum ~1500 fine as well.  AZ is probably the harshest state in the country for DUI. 

And you're buddy should have called me. 

Doesn't this vary wildly by state?
In terms of penalties, yes. 

There was a court case awhile back (South Dakota v. Dole) where it was found constitutional for the federal government to withhold funding for roadways to states who wouldn't lower the legal limit to .08.  So, I believe it's .08 everywhere.  That said, many states, like mine, also make it unlawful to drive while impaired to the slightest degree from drugs or alcohol regardless of the limit. 

No.

In 2016, there were 10,497 deaths from drunk driving, and 3450 deaths from "distracted driving" (which includes texting).

I don't doubt that the number of people who text-and-drive is larger than the number of people who drink-and-drive. But the texters cause far fewer deaths, and therefore texting should not be considered to be a bigger problem than drinking.
I'm calling B.S. on those made up numbers.  Cops don't even care or look at if the driver of accidents/deaths were using their phones.  They are only concerned if they use alcohol.

Yeah, it's usually the person driving texting/using their phone that cause the accident and then the person with the low B.A.C.gets busted for the DUI.  Cops don't give a crap if they're using their phone.

No.

In 2016, there were 10,497 deaths from drunk driving, and 3450 deaths from "distracted driving" (which includes texting).

I don't doubt that the number of people who text-and-drive is larger than the number of people who drink-and-drive. But the texters cause far fewer deaths, and therefore texting should not be considered to be a bigger problem than drinking.
Stay classy with those made up numbers!

I'm calling B.S. on those made up numbers.  Cops don't even care or look at if the driver of accidents/deaths were using their phones.  They are only concerned if they use alcohol.
If they killed somebody else they care. I imagine if it was a single vehicle crash where only the driver dies you are probably right. 

Correlation does not equal causation. Certainly unlikely at .08-.1.
The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) has run some extensive tests on this issue.*  Perhaps ironically (although it makes sense if you think about it), their study suggests that people drive better with a drink in their system and it's affect is pretty neutral up until the .08 range.  I'd agree that a person likely isn't significantly impaired until he gets above a .10 or higher.  

The fundamental issue posed by this thread is a challenging one.  I'm pretty convinced that just about anybody who has socially drank at a point in his or her life has driven while impaired at least once.  I consider myself a very law-abiding person but I can remember at least twice where I shouldn't have driven.  I've also seen hundreds of cases now where people's lives are substantially impacted because of DUI convictions as my jurisdiction has very strict penalties and the statutes really limit plea bargaining. So, it seems pretty harsh for an aberrant mistake. That said, I've seen firsthand the lives it has lost. 

The theoretical challenge to legislating DUI is that when a person actually gets impaired he likely isn't acting rationally.  Strict laws are usually designed to deter people from engaging in the action.  However, a person not acting or thinking rationally is far less likely to be deterred because deterrence assumes the amount of rationality needed to at least perform a cost-benefit analysis. So, deterrence by the very nature of the crime is less likely to work.  So, do the laws then need to be that strict? 

I've had this discussion at DUI seminars with other lawyers who work prominently in this field.  The general sentiment, which I agree with, is that the laws are probably too strict for first-timers but may not strict enough for repeat offenders.  Personally, I have a ton of sympathy for a first-timer** who made a genuine mistake versus somebody who, for whatever reasons, keeps drinking and drinking.  

*I'm really hoping some studies will be done soon in this same sense for THC so we can get away from strict liability laws for driving with THC or its metabolite in one's system.

** However, I recall a study at some seminar suggesting that a person gets arrested for a DUI every 200 or so times he drives drunk.  So, maybe I shouldn't be so sympathetic since plausibly the person probably has ton it several dozens to a couple hundred times. 

Yeah, it's usually the person driving texting/using their phone that cause the accident and then the person with the low B.A.C.gets busted for the DUI.  Cops don't give a crap if they're using their phone.
I'm not entirely sure where you're getting this sentiment from.  It's not consistent with my experience. 

Additionally, it's irrelevant who causes the crash in regards to the decision to charge a DUI.  At least in my jurisdiction, a DUI is a DUI regardless of how it was discovered the person drove impaired to the slightest degree and/or with a BAC or BrAC of >.08%. 

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting this sentiment from.  It's not consistent with my experience. 

Additionally, it's irrelevant who causes the crash in regards to the decision to charge a DUI.  At least in my jurisdiction, a DUI is a DUI regardless of how it was discovered the person drove impaired to the slightest degree and/or with a BAC or BrAC of >.08%. 
That's my point the person getting the dui isn't  the one causing the accident it"s the idiots on the phone.  

That's my point the person getting the dui isn't  the one causing the accident it"s the idiots on the phone.  
It's not an element of the crime of DUI that the defendant cause any sort of damage or harm. 

I genuinely don't know why you think police are trained to only look for DUIs in an accident.  Most departments have an officer trained in accident reconstruction.  In major crashes with injuries generally tox screens are run on both drivers and both cars are inventoried (for things like cell phones close by).  

Do cops look for DUI factors in accidents? Absolutely -- as DUI is probably the leading cause for accidents. But I think you're inaccurately stating that other factors are completely ignored. 

They don't.  They only check for b.a.c.  Many P.D. even have incentives for dui's.  
They do. Even if they don't want to the insurance company will definitely be forcing their hands. If neither party has insurance or money then maybe they dont but how big of a sample size is that?

I work in a hospital, my experience is usually the dead person or the one caused the accident is clutching their phone.  Police  come and  want bac drawn on the person who was in the accident but didn't cause it  but because they were drinking.  They get charged by the police even though it's the idiot in the next bed that caused the accident!

It's not an element of the crime of DUI that the defendant cause any sort of damage or harm. 

I genuinely don't know why you think police are trained to only look for DUIs in an accident.  Most departments have an officer trained in accident reconstruction.  In major crashes with injuries generally tox screens are run on both drivers and both cars are inventoried (for things like cell phones close by).  

Do cops look for DUI factors in accidents? Absolutely -- as DUI is probably the leading cause for accidents. But I think you're inaccurately stating that other factors are completely ignored. 
Your completely wrong.

The theoretical challenge to legislating DUI is that, when a person actually gets impaired he likely isn't acting rationally.  Strict laws are usually designed to deter people from engaging in the action.  However, a person not acting or thinking rationally is far less likely to be deterred because deterrence assumes the amount of rationality needed to at least perform a cost-benefit analysis. So, deterrence by the very nature of the crime is less likely to work.  So, do the laws then need to be that strict? 
Considering we're at .08, have you questioned exactly what it is they're trying to deter? 

Because it sounds to me like it's bringing you car out at all, never mind more sinister things that I think are up in the movement from hearing stories about MADD and the insurance companies that are responsible for this nonsense.  

Considering we're at .08, have you questioned exactly what it is they're trying to deter? 

Because it sounds to me like it's bringing you car out at all, never mind more sinister things that I think are up in the movement from hearing stories about MADD and the insurance companies that are responsible for this nonsense.  
The MADD stuff aside, I could see a good argument for making the legal limit .08 if we're trying to deter people from getting to the more dangerous levels.  However, at least as it pertains to my jurisdiction, I wish the legislature didn't also tie the hands of the lawyers handling the cases from plea bargaining to more lenient counts/sentences/penalties while doing so.  

The MADD stuff aside, I could see a good argument for making the legal limit .08 if we're trying to deter people from getting to the more dangerous levels.  However, at least as it pertains to my jurisdiction, I wish the legislature didn't also tie the hands of the lawyers handling the cases from plea bargaining to more lenient counts/sentences/penalties while doing so.  
Fair enough. I was thinking they were trying to deter you from taking your car to go out at all, or, there seem to be prohibition elements within the more vocal members of lowering the legal limit. 

If that sounds conspiratorial, I remember the funny alliances behind the legalization of marijuana movement. I learned a lot about policy from the movement and how disparate groups will both get together and also lie about their cause (med marijuana, among the more fringe elements of the movement, was never anything but a step to outright legalization.) This seems to be the converse.  

*I'm really hoping some studies will be done soon in this same sense for THC so we can get away from strict liability laws for driving with THC or its metabolite in one's system.
There was a study done in Australia in the 90s sometime that concluded stoned drivers were 30% less likely to be involved in an accident than sober drivers.  (I think the study consisted of a driving course with unexpected hazards)

Users who are viewing this thread