What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (2 Viewers)

Don’t trust how they use him. Benched him 5 minutes prior to his game. Not sure when he’ll back in my line up
They were spelling him in and out the entire game given how sick he was during the week, and were trying to save him.

Raiders are not a good team, but Josh Jacobs (and Waller) will retain value regardless -- just too talented.

Would not take usage in this game as a barometer.

Josh Jacobs rushed 10 times for 44 yards in the Raiders' Week 3 loss to the Vikings.

Jacobs played just 25 snaps, as the broadcast noted the Raiders wanted to spell him more than usual. Both DeAndre Washington (9 snaps) and Jalen Richard (29) continued to be more involved in the passing game. Jacobs reportedly was receiving IV treatment for 48 hours before the game due to a head cold and accordingly didn't look to be 100% on the field. His best run of the day for 18 yards came on a cleverly-designed pitch that didn't require any tackle-breaking ability. Treat Jacobs as a lower-end RB2 in next week's matchup against the Colts.

Sep 22, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

Coach Jon Gruden said Monday that, "We've got to get more out of Josh as a receiver."

Agreed. Jacobs was spelled more often than usual Sunday after dealing with a head cold for most of the week, ultimately playing just 25 snaps compared to 29 for Jalen Richard and nine for DeAndre Washington. Still, this has been a problem all season: Jacobs has just three targets compared to six for Richard and two for Washington. Jacobs is set up well to rebound against the Colts in Week 4 if stud LB Darius Leonard (concussion) remains sidelined.

SOURCE: Jimmy Durkin on Twitter.

Sep 23, 2019, 4:10 PM ET

Huh. Sometimes when Gruden says something, he flat means it instead of it just being coach speak. The question becomes whether or not Josh can handle the role to Gruden's satisfaction. Otherwise, his snap/carry share will prove too telling, and teams will focus on him when he's in the game as a sure run. 

Huh. Sometimes when Gruden says something, he flat means it instead of it just being coach speak. The question becomes whether or not Josh can handle the role to Gruden's satisfaction. Otherwise, his snap/carry share will prove too telling, and teams will focus on him when he's in the game as a sure run. 
Yeah I take that as he is not demonstrating he can handle catching the ball as opposed to, "Let's get him involved in the pass game." But it is weird because he has not had much opportunity to catch the ball. Gruden is more confusing than a crazy hot girl. 

Yeah I take that as he is not demonstrating he can handle catching the ball as opposed to, "Let's get him involved in the pass game." But it is weird because he has not had much opportunity to catch the ball. Gruden is more confusing than a crazy hot girl. 
Sometimes, without context or tone, it becomes difficult to judge what coaches mean. 

What's up with this dude. Thinking of targeting him in a trade. Is he a buy low guy or will they be behind too much to make him relevant?
PFF just graded him out as their second-highest graded rookie. I don't know what to tell you about game scripts. YMMV and who knows?

I'm biased because I roster him in two main leagues, but I think he's good.

Jacobs has looked great. But he's playing for a subpar offense with a skittish QB and a coach who can't seem to find a way to get him involved in the passing game, despite having very good hands for a RB. That plus he's been playing through a groin (and by some reports hip?) injury, plus he's been sick the last week or so, reportedly so much so that he lost 10 lbs.

If he can get his body right and the Raiders can play better around him, there's major upside here. But both are fairly questionable at this point, given he's never had a workload like this and maybe hitting a rookie/workhorse wall already; and the odds of a complete Raiders meltdown are IMO higher right now than a dramatic turn to the upside as a team. They are littered with injuries already; they had to have been affected by the Tony Clown debacle, at the very least in terms of respect for Gruden; and they are currently one week into a six-week road trip. Yep, you read that last part right. ####### NFL.

Shouldn't that be ####in' MLB?

Nah, seriously, why did the NFL do that? 
It's unprecedented. But the NFL loves setting effed up precedents against the Raiders. It's become par for their course at this point. Just gotta account for it and adjust expectations accordingly if you're a Raider fan or fantasy owner of Raider players. I mean we're talking about the team that set the Tuck Rule, the Calvin Johnson catch rule, and the post-snap kicker freeze rule into place with calls against them to lose games in key moments of seasons - and the team that has finished top 3 in penalties every year for like 30 years straight across multiple coaching regimes.

I like to imagine an NFL corporate conference table full of laughter and high fives every time something goes sideways for the Raiders. It's literally a weekly occurrence on field, and used to be (still is?) an annual shin dig at the draft. Can you imagine how many back flips were made when the old man took a big-armed walrus over Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson? Here is actual video of the conference room when that happened: https://youtu.be/0FaGsartBSc?t=8

It's unprecedented. But the NFL loves setting effed up precedents against the Raiders. It's become par for their course at this point. Just gotta account for it and adjust expectations accordingly if you're a Raider fan or fantasy owner of Raider players. I mean we're talking about the team that set the Tuck Rule, the Calvin Johnson catch rule, and the post-snap kicker freeze rule into place with calls against them to lose games in key moments of seasons - and the team that has finished top 3 in penalties every year for like 30 years straight across multiple coaching regimes.

I like to imagine an NFL corporate conference table full of laughter and high fives every time something goes sideways for the Raiders. It's literally a weekly occurrence on field, and used to be (still is?) an annual shin dig at the draft. Can you imagine how many back flips were made when the old man took a big-armed walrus over Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson? Here is actual video of the conference room when that happened: https://youtu.be/0FaGsartBSc?t=8
Certain teams that generate the revenue get the breaks while the bias against the Raiders continues.    Sadly though, the NFL doesn't need to do anything though to make sure the team is lousy.  The team does itself no favors with how they handle players, such as Mack or Cooper, or with their drafting year after year.   The team should be called the Reachers.  

Josh Jacobs rushed 17 times for 79 yards in the Raiders' Week 4 win over the Colts, adding two receptions for 29 additional yards.

Jacobs' fabled increased usage in the passing game didn't really come to fruition — his 13 routes were only four more than Week 3 — but his two receptions were enough to get him past 100 yards from scrimmage for the second time in four games. He finished at 99 in Week 2. The rookie is now on pace for 1,456 total yards and eight touchdowns while averaging 4.95 yards per carry. He faces a massive Week 5 road block in the form of the Bears' defense.

Sep 29, 2019, 7:18 PM ET

Love having this guy on the team. Great in nearly all phases of the game, constantly falls forward, great jets and moves piles.

Tons of heart, going to be a core part of this offense -- and fantasy teams -- for  along while.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Love having this guy on the team. Great in nearly all phases of the game, constantly falls forward, great jets and moves piles.

Tons of heart, going to be a core part of this offense -- and fantasy teams -- for  along while.
He's actually someone I thought of so highly that he and Shady McCoy are the two links between my two teams that I care most about.  He looks good for a rookie, and will only get better when he's not seeing exclusively stacked boxes. I thought he was going to break one or two today, and won't be surprised when he does just that. 

Looking like the guy I was hoping for when trading up for the 1.1. Maybe not going to light the league on fire but looks like a solid 6+ year starter.

Josh Jacobs (elbow) was briefly sidelined before returning to action.

Jacobs will play through the pain. The Raiders' first-round pick was briefly sidelined in the second quarter before returning after a short absence. Jacobs has continued to rack up big plays on the ground in the first half.

SOURCE: Raiders on Twitter.

Oct 6, 2019, 2:03 PM ET

Josh Jacobs rushed 26 times for 123 yards and two touchdowns in the Raiders' Week 5 win over the Bears, adding three receptions for 20 additional yards.

Jacobs was brilliant for nearly the entire afternoon, regularly making defenders miss before falling forward for extra yardage. The Raiders continued to feature DeAndre Washington (three targets) and Jalen Richard (two) as much as Jacobs (four) in the passing game, but surprisingly positive game script allowed the team's stud first-round RB to rack up plenty of touches on the ground. Jacobs exited the game briefly with an elbow injury before returning shortly after. More pass-game usage would be preferred, but Jacobs is settling in as a mid-tier RB2 regardless. He'll take on the Packers' leaky rush defense in Week 7 following the Raiders' Week 6 bye.
This should not have been a game where he would have positive game script, but it's London.

Josh Jacobs rushed 21 times for 124 yards in the Raiders' Week 7 loss to the Packers, adding three receptions for 10 additional yards.

Jacobs made a statement on the Raiders' opening drive, going 3/53 with a 42-yard run where he posterized numerous would-be tacklers. Unfortunately, he picked up a shoulder nick in the process. He headed to the locker room for evaluation but ended up missing little time. His continued limited involvement in the passing game was a disappointment on a day where Tyrell Williams (foot) was sidelined, though Jacobs has now caught three balls in back-to-back games. Truly impressive on the ground so far this season, Jacobs will remain a high-end RB2 for Week 8 in Houston.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:31 PM ET

Josh Jacobs (shoulder) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Rodney Hudson, Tahir Whitehead and Gabe Jackson were all absent from Wednesday's practice as well — a sign Jacobs could merely be resting before taking part in practice the rest of the week. His reps heading into Sunday now need to be monitored considering he did exit to the locker room for a brief period in Oakland's Week 7 loss to the Packers.

SOURCE: Scott Bair on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 2:41 PM ET

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Josh Jacobs (shoulder) is questionable for Week 8 against the Texans.

Jacobs exited to the locker room for a brief period in Week 7 but was able to return and finish the game. Gruden nixed the idea of this injury being a light one, though, stating his rookie running back was "shot up" in order to keep playing and didn't rest Wednesday just as a precaution, but because he has a "legitimate" ailing shoulder. With RT Trent Brown (calf, limited), C Rodney Hudson (ankle, DNP) and G Gabe Jackson (knee, DNP) also banged up, Oakland's entire offense needs to be monitored as the week progresses.

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 6:34 PM ET

Josh Jacobs (shoulder) was not seen at the start of Thursday's practice.

His status for Sunday's game in Houston is looking cloudier by the day. Jacobs has been a revelation this year, living up to his first-round hype by leading all rookies in rushing yards (554), rushing touchdowns (four) and yards from scrimmage (641). DeAndre Washington and pass-catcher Jalen Richard would form a 1-2 punch in his absence.

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 2:25 PM ET

Speaking Thursday, Josh Jacobs (shoulder) said he could suit up for Week 8 against the Texans without practicing.

"That's the goal," Jacobs said after another DNP on Thursday. That's a typically a privilege reserved for veterans, but the Raiders have essentially no path to victory without their stud rookie runner. Working in Jacobs' favor is the fact that he played through the issue against the Packers last Sunday. Jacobs could end up a game-time call for the Raiders' 4:25 PM ET game.

SOURCE: MJ Acosta on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 5:53 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Josh Jacobs (questionable, shoulder) is expected to play in Week 8 against the Texans.

Jacobs had been looking iffy for Sunday's game on Houston, but put himself on track to play by closing out the week with a limited practice Friday. He's lived up to his first-round billing and then some, leading all rookies in rushing yards (554), rushing touchdowns (four) and yards from scrimmage (641), all while averaging a crisp 5.1 yards per carry. Don't hesitate to fire him up in fantasy, even against a rugged Houston run defense (tied with Baltimore for third-fewest rushing yards per game).

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 27, 2019, 8:02 AM ET

Josh Jacobs rushed 15 times for 66 yards, tacking on two catches for another 15 yards in Oakland's Week 8 loss to the Texans.

Coming in banged up with a shoulder injury, Jacobs struggled to get anything going following the departure of C Rodney Hudson (ankle) on a cart in the first quarter. It didn't help that Richie Incognito's fourth quarter holding penalty negated a 12-yard first down run, pushing the sticks back to 2nd-and-20 rather than 1st-and-10. The rookie also continued ceding passing-down work to both Jalen Richard (2/24) and DeAndre Washington (1/14). Now pacing for 283/1,417/9 in his first year as a pro, Jacobs remains a strong RB2 whose ceiling remains untapped given his lack of targets. He'll be a borderline RB1 if Damon Harrison and Mike Daniels stay sidelined for Detroit's trenches in Week 9.

Oct 27, 2019, 10:15 PM ET

Josh Jacobs rushed 28 times for 120 yards and two touchdowns in the Raiders' Week 9 win over the Lions.

It was a wild victory for the Raiders, who had to hold off the Lions at the goal-line with eight seconds remaining. Jacobs was a primary reason why Oakland was able to get back to .500 on the season. The rookie was able to consistently pick up moderate gains on the ground while finishing off two drives with two- and three-yard touchdowns. The only blemishes were his two drops on his only two targets. Jacobs, however, is already up to 740 rushing yards and seven touchdowns, operating as a fantasy RB1/2 with upside in good matchups. The Raiders have the Chargers on Thursday Night Football next.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:17 PM ET

Josh Jacobs (shoulder) was listed as a limited participant on the Raiders' estimated practice report Monday.

The Raiders didn't actually practice Monday, but they're required to submit an estimated report. Jacobs has been limited in recent weeks as well and is fully expected to suit up Thursday night against the Chargers. Continue to treat the Raider's stud rookie RB as an upside RB2. It'd be easier to call Jacobs a true RB1 if coach Jon Gruden didn't continue to keep Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington so involved. Overall, Jacobs has played fewer than 60 percent of the offense's snaps in five of seven games this season.

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter.

Nov 4, 2019, 4:27 PM ET

Where are we at for the rest of the season with this guy? He's been very good so far, maybe even great over the last few weeks. But I'm seeing lists (including this site's Top 200 Forward) that have him solidly in the second tier, not far back of the McCaffrey/Cook/Elliot group. I've even seen a few that have him neck-and-neck with guys like Barkley and Kamara. 

I'm an owner, so I'm happy to see the optimism, but it seems high to me for a guy who still isn't all that involved in the passing game and still has more competition for snaps than I'd like. Anyone else in that boat, or am I just being a pessimist? 

Where are we at for the rest of the season with this guy? He's been very good so far, maybe even great over the last few weeks. But I'm seeing lists (including this site's Top 200 Forward) that have him solidly in the second tier, not far back of the McCaffrey/Cook/Elliot group. I've even seen a few that have him neck-and-neck with guys like Barkley and Kamara. 

I'm an owner, so I'm happy to see the optimism, but it seems high to me for a guy who still isn't all that involved in the passing game and still has more competition for snaps than I'd like. Anyone else in that boat, or am I just being a pessimist? 
I think you are being a pessimist.  He has plenty of volume with regards to touches.  He is the goal line back.  The Raiders are playing well and it is because they are going through Jacobs.  Sure it would be better if he was getting some receptions and utilization in the passing game but his production is outstanding just as he is being used.  He has a very high floor with the potential for multiple TD's any given week.  He is as safe as they come right now.  His only concern is injury and overuse with possibly hitting the "rookie wall". 

Josh Jacobs rushed 16 times for 71 yards and a touchdown in the Raiders' Week 10 win over the Chargers, adding three receptions for 30 additional yards.

Jacobs' volume felt down for most of the evening, but it was only because the Chargers were dominating time of possession. He ended up touching the ball on 20-of-55 plays, a massive number. None was bigger than Jacobs' game-winning 18-yard touchdown with 1:02 remaining. Jacobs was practically untouched as he shot like a cannonball through the hole. The score was especially sweet since Jacobs had barely been involved in the Raiders' hurry-up offense, frustratingly ceding snaps to Jalen Richard. Despite that, Jacobs' 30 receiving yards were his most of the season. Jacobs has 10 days to rest up for a smash spot in the Bengals.

Nov 7, 2019, 11:58 PM ET

Josh Jacobs (shoulder) was limited in Wednesday and Thursday's practices.

The Raiders are just managing Jacobs' reps. He figures to be removed from the injury report on Friday. The impressive rookie has a Week 11 blow-up spot in the Bengals' league-worst run defense.

Nov 14, 2019, 5:05 PM ET

Josh Jacobs rushed 23 times for 112 yards in Oakland's Week 11 win over the Bengals.

He was also involved slightly more in the passing-game, recording three catches for the second consecutive outing. It's his fourth 100-yard performance this season, moving ahead of Marcus Allen for the most such games by a rookie in club history. The only knock on Jacobs coming out of Sunday will be his first-quarter fumble that allowed the Bengals to turn a short field into their only touchdown of the afternoon. On pace for 306/1,477/11 in his first year under coach Jon Gruden, Jacobs will remain a high-end RB2 against the Jets in Week 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Jacobs (shoulder) was limited for Wednesday's practice.

Jacobs was limited last week too before handling 23 carries in Oakland's Week 11 win. He'll suit up and rank as a Top 10 option despite squaring off against the Jets' menacing d-line in his toughest test to date.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Nov 20, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

Josh Jacobs rushed 10 times for 34 yards in the Raiders' Week 12 loss to the Jets, adding one reception for two additional yards.

Jacobs was bottled up against the Jets’ pass-funnel defense. The entire Raiders’ rushing attack struggled to get much of anything going, and Jacobs was eventually pulled late in the third quarter alongside Derek Carr down 34-3. Jacobs is one of the league’s more talented RBs with the ball in his hands, but the Raiders’ reluctance to utilize him as their lead pass-down RB limits his floor when the team falls behind on the scoreboard. This could be an issue in Week 13 against the Chiefs, but continue to treat Jacobs as a low-end RB1 against the league’s 31st-ranked defense in rush DVOA.

Was his benching at all related to injury?  He had been limited all week.
I didn't see the game and didn't see that he got pulled but if they pulled him late in the third quarter it's probably because they didn't want him to get hurt in garbage time. He's already had a lot of touches for a rookie, especially one who never had a huge workload in college.  This is uncharted territory for him.  

Was his benching at all related to injury?  He had been limited all week.
I doubt it.  It looked like Gruden gave up and started getting his starters out of there to avoid unnecessary injuries.  The fact that Carr was also pulled supports that it was just a give up situation.

Users who are viewing this thread