Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -4.5 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

3 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Your Political Compass

I'm you, only more

Economic Left/Right: -5.0 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.1

But there were quite a lot of questions where I dithered over agree and disagree, could have used a neutral option

• Like 8

Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: 3.63 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

A few of the questions are more about matters of fact than opinion.  For example, one-party states really do have the advantage of not wasting a bunch of time and energy on partisan conflict, so I agreed with that statement, but that doesn't mean that one-party states are good on balance.  I'm positive that that one "damaged" my authoritarian score wrongly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

FYI it’s a UK test. I think there are some Eurocentric questions, and also it asks for some assumptions.

Correct

And since it’s likely/probable many of us will end up in the lower left quadrant, worth noting UK Left is further left than USA left.

10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Your Political Compass

A few of the questions are more about matters of fact than opinion.  For example, one-party states really do have the advantage of not wasting a bunch of time and energy on partisan conflict, so I agreed with that statement, but that doesn't mean that one-party states are good on balance.  I'm positive that that one "damaged" my authoritarian score wrongly.

I felt like that one was a bit charged; “one-Party” is a bit of a trigger & likely to push the test taker to answer disagree because single party is a pejorative, even though in fact that system does have advantages.

Edited by BobbyLayne
reworded for clarity

Libertarian Left.

Economic Left/Right: -2.25 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

I hate some of the questions that use words like “always”.  If you can think of one possible exception, you should answer strongly disagree but I usually ignore that and try to interpret the larger picture behind the question.

There were also many questions I could have answered either way. This made me err on the side of what I think I am.

• Like 1

:hifive:

21 minutes ago, msommer said:

I'm you, only more

25 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I had the same thought on that question - seems undeniably true but also not necessarily preferred.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:
22 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Your Political Compass

I felt like that one was a bit charged; “one-Party” is a bit of a trigger & likely to push the test taker to answer disagree because single party is a pejorative, even though in fact that system does have advantages.

I voted disagre on that as I disagree that it is much of an advantage at all in the long term. It would be a worthwhile thread, perhaps, to discuss that

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

FYI it’s a UK test. I think there are some Eurocentric questions, and also it asks for some assumptions.

A US test would have had questions on the 2nd amendment, no doubt

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, msommer said:

But there were quite a lot of questions where I dithered over agree and disagree, could have used a neutral option

Bingo

45 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

For example, one-party states really do have the advantage of not wasting a bunch of time and energy on partisan conflict, so I agreed with that statement,

I ended up disagreeing with the statement because while it’s true, I don’t see it as an advantage. 

• Like 1

Smack dab in the middle of Left/Libertarian

Economic = -4.75

Social = - 4.5

54 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

For example, one-party states really do have the advantage of not wasting a bunch of time and energy on partisan conflict,

Yeah - I struggled with that question.  I think I ultimately hit "disagree" focusing on the word "advantage".  It is easier to enact policies, but that is not an advantage if they are the wrong policy choices.

• Like 2

Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.54

2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Yeah - I struggled with that question.  I think I ultimately hit "disagree" focusing on the word "advantage".  It is easier to enact policies, but that is not an advantage if they are the wrong policy choices.

I get that, but I would argue that you talked yourself into that position because you know that answering the other way would push your score in the "wrong" direction.  '

Regardless, this one is more about an empirical matter of fact than political ideology.

3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I did as well. Not sure it's as big of an effect as you think as my libertarian ratio is still quite high. But I only agreed rather than strongly agreed fwiw. 

4 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Your Political Compass

i agree and i chose agree because it was worded more as an operational strategy as opposed to a philosophical maxim.

and I'm not sure what this question even means (spoiler):

Multinational companies are unethically exploiting the plant genetic resources of developing countries

I guess this debate has been going on for years..

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=23595.0

Edited by Long Ball Larry

4 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Your Political Compass

I'm closest to you, among the FBG responses I've seen so far.

Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

5 hours ago, msommer said:
5 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Your Political Compass

I'm you, only more

And I'm you, only more:

Economic Left/Right: -5.25 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Economic Left/Right: -6.38 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.0

Pretty sure the flyswatter question is the reason I’m less socially libertarian than krista. 

You were okay with drinking flyswatter drinks, weren’t you, @krista4?

• Thinking 1

11 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Pretty sure the flyswatter question is the reason I’m less socially libertarian than krista. 

I think I took a different test than you.

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Hmm. I took two tests this morning.  The other one just asks you about things that gross you out and ranks you based on that.  

It appears I mixed them up. 

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:
14 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Or you took it without such drinks beforehand...

Just now, msommer said:

Or you took it without such drinks beforehand...

There’s another political spectrum test that just rates you based on what you find disgusting.  It’s equally accurate.  

Based on this research:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26481-left-or-right-wing-brains-disgust-response-tells-all/

• Like 1

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.1

There were several questions where I could have easily given 2-3 different answers, so I suppose that explains why my numbers are so close to neutral. I could probably push it to one side or another depending on my mood.

3 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Most of us are either Ghandi or Thatcher.

Of note: no Hitlers.

It might surprise some how close to the economic middle they have Hitler. I think the reason is he had wildly right policies and wildly left policies and they ended up in their calculation in fairly close to the economic middle. That's an example of how this sort of thing can be deceiving. I don't think anyone would call Hitler an economic centrist.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

-2.23 Economic 

-4.82 Social

About as I figured...lean left and some economic left as more social issues touch in economics (mainly education).

Edited by sho nuff