What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Political Spectrum test (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne said:
Most of us are either Ghandi or Thatcher.

Of note: no Hitlers.
I suspect that the authoritarian/xenophobe types are self-aware enough to modify their answers. For example, the xenophobe would certainly agree that "different people should keep to their own kind", but they can talk themselves to answering "Strongly disagree" to that question (because they might think that it's okay for all nonwhites to mingle among each other).

Also, Trump supporters and critics alike would strongly agree that there is a "worrying fusion of information and entertainment" -- but for different reasons.

Economic Left/Right: .75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: .67

pretty much center cut.

It might surprise some how close to the economic middle they have Hitler. I think the reason is he had wildly right policies and wildly left policies and they ended up in their calculation in fairly close to the economic middle. That's an example of how this sort of thing can be deceiving. I don't think anyone would call Hitler an economic centrist.
To be fair, very few hot takes on Hitler discuss his purely economic viewpoints. 

IvanKaramazov said:
Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: 3.63 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

A few of the questions are more about matters of fact than opinion.  For example, one-party states really do have the advantage of not wasting a bunch of time and energy on partisan conflict, so I agreed with that statement, but that doesn't mean that one-party states are good on balance.  I'm positive that that one "damaged" my authoritarian score wrongly.
Here’s the wording I got:

“A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.”

I found it easy to strongly disagree. It obviously doesn’t avoid all the arguments...

(I found nearly every question to be frustratingly nebulous to my overly literal mind.)

Anyway, my scores:

Economic Left/Right: 1.0 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

Here’s the wording I got:

“A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.”

I found it easy to strongly disagree. It obviously doesn’t avoid all the arguments...

(I found nearly every question to be frustratingly nebulous to my overly literal mind.)

Anyway, my scores:

Economic Left/Right: 1.0 
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
Just an observation - just three so far with positive on one scale and negative on the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Economic Left/Right: -3.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.08

Am I a bad person?
not at all, but I do think that is an unusual combination around here. The usual mantra is "economically conservative/ socially liberal" and I think this means you are the opposite?

not at all, but I do think that is an unusual combination around here. The usual mantra is "economically conservative/ socially liberal" and I think this means you are the opposite?
The "usual mantra" is not factual, as the post above mentions about the lack of results that map that way shows.  Vastly more people are going to be +/+ or -/- than +/- (or -/+).

Is argue that it isn’t that the usual mantra isn’t factual.

That many social issues are now intertwined fiscally (education again as an example of this healthcare also).

Is argue that it isn’t that the usual mantra isn’t factual.

That many social issues are now intertwined fiscally (education again as an example of this healthcare also).
But that makes my point.  If being socially liberal drives your economics, in no meaningful way are you +/-.  I would challenge anyone to come up with a half dozen prominent national politicians that are +/-.

Or, as we see on this board, lots of people claim to be +/-, but when you try to quantify it, they really aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
But that makes my point.  If being socially liberal drives your economics, in no meaningful way are you +/-.  I would challenge anyone to come up with a half dozen prominent national politicians that are +/-.

Or, as we see on this board, lots of people claim to be +/-, but when you try to quantify it, they really aren't.
And what I’m saying is the +\- is that it doesn’t mean someone isn’t still foscally conservative when it comes to spending and debt and such.

And what I’m saying is the +\- is that it doesn’t mean someone isn’t still foscally conservative when it comes to spending and debt and such.
Politicians aren't stupid about politics.  If there was a vast amount of voters that truly were fiscally conservative and socially liberal, somebody would be running and winning on that platform.  The dearth of candidates like that speaks volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread