What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players who make you question your fanhood. (1 Viewer)

-OZ-

Footballguy
In a positive way.

Most of us are loyal fans of a team. We're supposed to "hate" a rival, despise everything they stand for, etc (said mostly in jest). 

Even more so, many of us are college football fans too. Many of us have college teams we follow, whether local teams, our alma mater, or we just like the team for whatever reason.  We know these players and cheer for them, mostly into their NFL careers.

When your college player gets drafted by your NFL team, it can be the ultimate fanhood satisfaction, especially when they succeed (thank you for the last few games Derrick Henry).

What do you do when a player you really liked in college becomes a key to your rival's success? 

What happens when the player in college who beat your team gets drafted by a rival? What happens when you start to :gasp: actually enjoy watching him play?

Who are the players in the NFL who despite your allegiance to a team, you actually really like? 

What happens to bears fans who actually like Aaron Rodgers?   Worse yet, the buckeye and dolphins fan who actually likes Tom Brady?

Who is that player for you? 

For me, that player is Deshaun Watson. I really don't want to like him. He was a Tide killer, now he plays for the rival Texans. But man is he fun to watch. Seems like a good dude too, from what I can tell. The kind of guy that makes you put aside rivalries and while you can't really cheer for him to beat your team, you do genuinely like watching him succeed. 

What say you?

Deshaun just won me Summerpalooza. Loved watching him play. 

I'd say that Josh Gordon when he was with the Patriots, and me, a Jets fan. Was rooting for him to do well and lead them to a Super Bowl. 

Alas...

eta* And as a former Raider fan (I liked three teams, but apparently you can't do that), the current crop of KC skill players (Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill) make me want them to go to the SB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Goes back a few years, but as much as I hated to like him, I was always a Brett Favre fan.  He led the Packers to victories over my Vikings so many times, but damn he was fun to watch.  He seemed like a kid playing playground ball out there on the field and was fun to watch.

rockaction said:
eta* And as a former Raider fan (I liked three teams, but apparently you can't do that), the current crop of KC skill players (Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill) make me want them to go to the SB. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

As a long time raiders fan, I have always hated the Broncos and Chiefs. Well, eventually you get older, have kids, your kids wonder "why do you root for a team that loses all the time" ;) .... you might still be a fan, but no longer a "fanatic". So, yes, I find myself also rooting for the Chiefs to do well this year. Besides the exciting players you mentioned, when you have friends who are also long time suffering fans of their team, you don’t mind them winning to enjoy your friend's happiness.

but, no matter how "worn down" I’ve become over the years, I do still love beating the Broncos and seeing them lose. :)  

ETA: also became a Bears fan this year, you know, because Khalil Mack. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When Torrey Smith came to Baltimore from Maryland it was a hometown fan honeymoon. He was a great college player, better than he’s been as a pro. He was still a good pro as a Raven (playing a key role on a Super Bowl winner) but it’s his all-around decency, intelligence and community focus that will make me root for him everywhere he goes. I know he wasn’t great in Philly but then came up w huge playoff plays vs ATL and MIN. Looks like Carolina will cut him loose after this year’s mediocrity and I hope there’s someway he ends up back in Balt on maybe a vet minimum deal, but I’ll be a fan anywhere he goes 

-OZ- said:
What do you do when a player you really liked in college becomes a key to your rival's success? 
Deion Jones of the falcs went to my high school and LSU and he is a terrific LB, he really plays the game well and he’s been a nemesis to Drew Brees. This is the one falc I like and pull for. I certainly wish the Saints had drafted him.

When you think about it, makes more sense to root for a guy you really like as opposed to someone that happens to play for the team closest to your zip code.

When you think about it, makes more sense to root for a guy you really like as opposed to someone that happens to play for the team closest to your zip code.
Agree entirely. I’m brain washed to root for the Raiders at this point but I’m not forcing my kids to root for any team in particular. We just pick guys we like (LFitz, Mack, for some reason my youngest still loves ex-Raider Latavius Murray) and pull for their teams to win. Matches up perfectly with this modern age of fantasy sports. 

None until this year.  I've been a Steelers fan for about 15 years since I started watching football and up until now division rivals were just hatred and I never found a player to root for (other than my fantasy team guys), but now I have a certain QB in the division that I just love watching.  His name is Baker suckonthese Mayfield.  

49ers fan

Shaquem Griffin - one of the most amazing stories.  It's hard enough to make the NFL, but to do what he has is incredible.

Russell Wilson - great man off the field; electric on the field.  Not sure why I enjoy watching him play so much especially as a Seahawk :unsure:

49ers fan, but I love Chris Carson. 

He had possibly the greatest 1 yard TD run I ever saw a few weeks ago, guy is a beast.

49ers fan, but I love Chris Carson. 

He had possibly the greatest 1 yard TD run I ever saw a few weeks ago, guy is a beast.
Looked like a mini Beast Mode on that run 

7th round draft pick - always easy for me to root for late round guys who continue to grind and aren't gifted their stardom.

Also easier to root for Seahawks when the 49ers stink 😿

Browns fan & I (still) hate Art Modell for moving the team, but gotta love Ozzie Newsome! 

I love Saquon Barkley. My favorite Penn State player of the last 30 years. He's a Giant now but that won't stop me from enjoying his career.

I also respected the hell out of Jason Witten. The only Cowboy I'd ever cheer for as long as it wasn't against the Eagles. 

As a Jets fan, I HATE the Patriots.

But I just cant hate gronk. He's just too awesome to watch. 

Same for me. Gronk is (well, was) the best on and off the field - just can’t hate the guy even if he’s a Patriot. 
Same here.  Except I was thinking Brady.   I love Chad Pennington and think he could have won a superbowl if the shoulder injuries never happened.  But for the last 17 years, I couldn't help wishing Brady was our QB.  

Same here.  Except I was thinking Brady.   I love Chad Pennington and think he could have won a superbowl if the shoulder injuries never happened.  But for the last 17 years, I couldn't help wishing Brady was our QB.  
No thanks on Brady. I HATE that guy.

Users who are viewing this thread