What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Megatron (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
What happened to the nickname in the NFL?  We do have "Cheetah" for Tyreek Hill which is perfect, then......???

Who can forget....

The Galloping Ghost

Golden Wheels

The Truck

The Hammer

Gizmo....CFL

Pinball....CFL

The Tank

Cannonball

Super Gnat, The Flea, Little Train, Mini

The Steel Curtain

The Fearsome Foursome

The Nigerian Nightmare

Help me out here.

How about.....Todd "I'm Not" Gurley.........I know, duh~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, the Four Horsemen were college.

But there have been some recent ones that gained traction:

Beast Mode

Honey Badger

Red Rifle

Muscle Hamster

Rhodes Closed

Technically, the Four Horsemen were college.

But there have been some recent ones that gained traction:

Beast Mode

Honey Badger

Red Rifle

Muscle Hamster

Rhodes Closed
I already deleted The Four Horsemen, one of my favorites.

BEAST MODE, LEGION OF BOOM....worked.

As did Honey Badger, not so much with the others.

But, we still don't see  Mercury Morris. Mean Joe Greene, The Mad Bomber Daryl Lamonica,  We have more teams/players than ever, and less nicknames.

I think a lot of this has to do with decline of old school sports journalism.  Those classic names (splendid splinter galloping ghost) were all from people like Paul Gallico, Jim Murray etc.  interestingly they were using it to make players more marketable in time pre national televised games.  

The NBA seems to have a lot more nicknames (Greek freak, The Brow, Splash brothers, The Process off top of my head).  Not sure why that is.  

I think a lot of this has to do with decline of old school sports journalism.  Those classic names (splendid splinter galloping ghost) were all from people like Paul Gallico, Jim Murray etc.  interestingly they were using it to make players more marketable in time pre national televised games.  

The NBA seems to have a lot more nicknames (Greek freak, The Brow, Splash brothers, The Process off top of my head).  Not sure why that is.  
I'd think with todays creativity we;d be seeing more nicknames. Look at all those band names.

best football nicname of all time belongs to Rod Smart...   you might not remember Smart but you have to remember.....HE HATE ME!!!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread