What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House of the Rising Sun (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
Like everybody else I thought it was cool song written and performed by The Animals.  Why wouldn't I?

Guess what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs

There are a lot of tunes that come to find out were covers of the original.  Unchained Melody  by The Righteous Brothers and old song they covered.  While no secret I like Disturbed doing The Sound of Silence. Led Zeppelin knew them old blues, their Leevee Breaks a cover of a Kansas Joe McCoy & Memphis Minnie (married) tune from the early 30's. Tons of artists have covered the works of Robert Johnson he of the freaky fingers, bummer he died before the electric guitar.

Waylon Jennings  does a great House of the Rising Sun cover as does Bob Dylan.

Eric Clapton and Peter Green recording whole CD's paying homage to Robert Johnson.

Another cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjdMLAMbM0

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everybody else I thought it was cool song written and performed by The Animals.  Why wouldn't I?

Guess what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147kS8O59Qs

There are a lot of tunes that come to find out were covers of the original.  Unchained Melody  by The Righteous Brothers and old song they covered.  While no secret I like Disturbed doing The Sound of Silence. Led Zeppelin knew them old blues, their Leevee Breaks a cover of a Kansas Joe McCoy & Memphis Minnie (married) tune from the early 30's. Tons of artists have covered the works of Robert Johnson he of the freaky fingers, bummer he died before the electric guitar.

Waylon Jennings  does a great House of the Rising Sun cover as does Bob Dylan.

Eric Clapton and Peter Green recording whole CD's paying homage to Robert Johnson.

Another cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjdMLAMbM0
I thought it was pretty well known that The House of the Rising Sun was a folk song.  What made The Animals version special was it was one of the first times a folk song was adapted as a rock song.  The song also had many versions, as evidenced by the version you linked.  The Animals molded the song a bit into the iconic one you hear most often.

It's true that there were earlier recordings of "House Of The Rising Sun". But none of them featured the iconic guitar riff that The Animals used. And that riff is what defines the song today.

I thought it was pretty well known that The House of the Rising Sun was a folk song.  What made The Animals version special was it was one of the first times a folk song was adapted as a rock song.  The song also had many versions, as evidenced by the version you linked.  The Animals molded the song a bit into the iconic one you hear most often.
Yea I thought this was pretty well known at this point too. 

Memphis Minnie's When the Levee Breaks is a great old blues tune and those lyrics mesh really well with what Zep put together musically. However, you could have put Creed lyrics over those instrumental tracks and it would have been badass.

It's true that there were earlier recordings of "House Of The Rising Sun". But none of them featured the iconic guitar riff that The Animals used. And that riff is what defines the song today.
Actually, that was Dave Van Ronk, which Dylan ripped off and recorded before asking Van Ronk's permission. Then the Animals in turn ripped off Bob, to Van Ronk's great delight.
Dylan ripped off Van Ronk, but neither of them used that famous guitar riff. I think what Van Ronk gets credit for is creating the descending melody.

Here is Dylan's version.

Here is Van Ronk's version.

This site has a fairly detailed history of the song. It also includes a pretty blatant attempt by Dylan's producer (Tom Wilson) to copy The Animals by overdubbing new electric guitar parts onto Dylan's version in 1964 (the same tactic that he would later employ successfully with Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound Of Silence") -- scroll down about 2/3rds of the way to download it.

Dylan ripped off Van Ronk, but neither of them used that famous guitar riff. I think what Van Ronk gets credit for is creating the descending melody.

Here is Dylan's version.

Here is Van Ronk's version.

This site has a fairly detailed history of the song. It also includes a pretty blatant attempt by Dylan's producer (Tom Wilson) to copy The Animals by overdubbing new electric guitar parts onto Dylan's version in 1964 (the same tactic that he would later employ successfully with Simon & Garfunkel's "Sound Of Silence") -- scroll down about 2/3rds of the way to download it.
I think Van Ronk's reworking of the chords is what turned it into what it became. The Animals are playing those chords, just arpeggiating them rather than strumming.

Check out Leadbelly's version and I think you'll see what I mean.

Back when the The Animals first released the song on record I had never heard it before. Who had recorded it before The Animals that was well known by the masses?

Back when the The Animals first released the song on record I had never heard it before. Who had recorded it before The Animals that was well known by the masses?
Zeno, Yeah, not being a jerk but House Of The Rising Sun plus others are well known, mon frere. You've got a wealth of knowledge here in the FFA. Lots of music fans. Keep 'em coming in this thread if you feel like something hasn't been recognized in popular culture. Chances are, somebody here knows it. But bust it out here.  

Bob Dylan
Hard to believe with my thang for music I 'd never heard Dylan/Van Ronk  perform the tune before The Animals.

I now own, that Clarence Asley original,**** covers by Georgia Turner 1937, Leadbelly, Bob Dylan, Waylon Jennings, The Animals, why I don't have Von Ronks version....????

**** off the computer

Zeno, Yeah, not being a jerk but House Of The Rising Sun plus others are well known, mon frere. You've got a wealth of knowledge here in the FFA. Lots of music fans. Keep 'em coming in this thread if you feel like something hasn't been recognized in popular culture. Chances are, somebody here knows it. But bust it out here.  
Thank you my friend.🙂

I was just getting started building my music library right around the early 60's.  that was some 10,000 CD's, tapes, records ago and a 30ish book library on music.

My real love is those old primitive blues from the 20's/30's.Yes into all of it but always return to them dusty dirt roads in the south.

Thank you my friend.🙂

I was just getting stared building my music library right around tthe early 60's.  that was some 10,000 CD's, tapes, records ago and a 30ish book library on musc.

My real love is those old primitive blues from the 20's/30's.Yes into all of it but always return to them dusty dirt roads in the south.
Sounds like Ghost Town and 78 Rpms.  

Sounds like Ghost Town and 78 Rpms.  
There is just something about peeking in on an alien world where you don't belong, very cool.

When ya hear  a song about hard times, it was hard times.  When ya hear Hattie Hart singing about that cocaine she could buy it at a drug store. 

Then there was Luke Jordan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6tfNVbgwu4

There is just something about peeking in on an alien world where you don't belong, very cool.

When ya hear  a song about hard times, it was hard times.  When ya hear Hattie Hart singing about that cocaine she could buy it at a drug store. 
What song do you have in mind, my friend? I can relate. The old apothecaries are nothing like CVS, that's for sure.  

Hard to believe with my thang for music I 'd never heard Dylan/Van Ronk  perform the tune before The Animals.

I now own, that Clarence Asley original,**** covers by Georgia Turner 1937, Leadbelly, Bob Dylan, Waylon Jennings, The Animals, why I don't have Von Ronks version....????

**** off the computer
Personally, I'm not especially fond of it and never felt the need to own it.

Personally, I'm not especially fond of it and never felt the need to own it.
One thing I never argue/debate is music.  We all have our thang, and that is how it should be.

I listen to everything because I;m always in different moods.   Yep, classical, reggae, folk, funk, rap, hip hop, metal, jazz, African tribal, soul, hillbillie/rockabilly, R&B. Big Band, rock, blues, country, bluegrass, alternative.

The only music I just can't handle is the Opera.

What is your trip?

Why did you get into the them old blues?  Always curious how others found the music.
I don't know. I think I'd been just influenced by my peers who were musicians, heard old country and folkways and Americana, and went from there. There's sort of a longing there. I'm not a blues guy, really, I'm a punk, but I love roots. I just do. There's no intellectual way to describe it, honestly. I think it's going to school with a million people who love Hootie and the Blowfish and rebelling a bit at the scene and saying, "that's where these guys come from." I'll never forget that I was the punk playing Moanin' by Leadbelly to my hippie friends and they hated it. 

I heard the soul in it. That should have been my answer. 

TL;DR I heard the soul in it 

I like the ones that scare me. Charley Patton, Son House, RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough for the most part. Robert Johnson to a lesser degree. Dig Leadbelly. I much prefer acoustic delta stuff to Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit blues.

I don't know. I think I'd been just influenced by my peers who were musicians, heard old country and folkways and Americana, and went from there. There's sort of a longing there. I'm not a blues guy, really, I'm a punk, but I love roots. I just do. There's no intellectual way to describe it, honestly. I think it's going to school with a million people who love Hootie and the Blowfish and rebelling a bit at the scene and saying, "that's where these guys come from." I'll never forget that I was the punk playing Moanin' by Leadbelly to my hippie friends and they hated it. 

I heard the soul in it. That should have been my answer. 

TL;DR I heard the soul in it 
Never too long for me, good stuff. As ya know you have to search out a Lead Belly, a Robert Johnson, rarely will hear that stuff on a radio and your friends it;s....who?

I bought a lot of records as a kid, and would read how Janis Joplin' was influensed by a Bessie Smith, Jimi Hendrix a big fan of Guitar Slim, Bob Dylan doing tunes by Bukka White,.  Cream covering a Blind Willie Reynolds tune?  Who are those people?  Well I found out.

Never too long for me, good stuff. As ya know you have to search out a Lead Belly, a Robert Johnson, rarely will hear that stuff on a radio and your friends it;s....who?

I bought a lot of records as a kid, and would read how Janis Joplin' was influensed by a Bessie Smith, Jimi Hendrix a big fan of Guitar Slim, Bob Dylan doing tunes by Bukka White,.  Cream covering a Blind Willie Reynolds tune?  Who are those people?  Well I found out.
I don't have that particular knowledge, but I know the process. You find the people who influenced your artist. You look them up and listen. It seems natural to some, to others, they need to be coaxed.  

One thing I never argue/debate is music.  We all have our thang, and that is how it should be.

I listen to everything because I;m always in different moods.   Yep, classical, reggae, folk, funk, rap, hip hop, metal, jazz, African tribal, soul, hillbillie/rockabilly, R&B. Big Band, rock, blues, country, bluegrass, alternative.

The only music I just can't handle is the Opera.

What is your trip?
I was just speaking for the Van Rock recording of House of the Rising Sun. I don't care for it, while recognizing his place in it's evolution for sure.

I can find something to like from just about any genre. Unfortunately, all the live music I've seen has left me with pretty serious tinnitus so I try to pick and chose my spots with music these days. A bit in the car and then live. I spend those indulgences wisely. The best show I saw this year was Spiritualized expanded band at King's Theatre in Brooklyn. How about you?

I like the ones that scare me. Charley Patton, Son House, RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough for the most part. Robert Johnson to a lesser degree. Dig Leadbelly. I much prefer acoustic delta stuff to Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit blues.
I;'d read about Charley Patton but had never heard him, this was pre internet.  So I come across  a compilation Legends if the Blues CD at, think Borders? I see...

Bessie Smith

Lonnie Johnson

Blind Willie McTell...Dylan a huge fan.

Charley Patton....EUREKA~~~~~~~~

others

I can't get home fast enought, get totally pissed trying to get the CD out of that ridiculous packaging,  pur the CD in the player, and........HUH???. what in the hell?  I couldn't understand a thing he was saying.  Like beer, it took me awhile to get it, ow he is "DA MAN" when it comes to them old Delta Blues.

Love Robert Johnson.

All those you mentioned ...thumbs up.

Why did you get into the them old blues?  Always curious how others found the music.
Not asked of me, but for me it was seeing John Hammond, Jr. open for JJ Cale at Town Park in Telluride CO in 1994 (?). I wasn't familiar with him other than hearing that his dad "discovered" Dylan. I was front and center and he scared the living #### out of me. I had never heard anything like it. I talked to a DJ from KOTO after the show and he gave me some homework. In the weeks after I brought it up with a fiddle player who lived next door who used to buy pot from me and he had a tape of Charley Patton that he had recorded indirectly from a turntable many years prior. He also had a similar tape of Django and Stephane Grappelli, just the two of them. That one especially blew my mind. I still don't know what that could have been. I've been trying to figure it out for 25 years. That guy was one of the best neighbors ever.

I don't have that particular knowledge, but I know the process. You find the people who influenced your artist. You look them up and listen. It seems natural to some, to others, they need to be coaxed.  
I do that with all my interests now but the music got me started, I need to know the origins/roots of it all.  Where it all started.

Bummer that so many old blues were never recorded, all that great music simply lost forever.  What did Ike Zinnerman sound like, he was the guy who taught Robert Johnson the guitar, and wrote a few of his songs.  He was never recorded.

While all them old blues is pretty obscure to Joe Public, there is the obscure of the obscure, guys withone record, hell....one song, then....poof~~~ Finding these phantoms a cool trek.

Not asked of me, but for me it was seeing John Hammond, Jr. open for JJ Cale at Town Park in Telluride CO in 1994 (?). I wasn't familiar with him other than hearing that his dad "discovered" Dylan. I was front and center and he scared the living #### out of me. I had never heard anything like it. I talked to a DJ from KOTO after the show and he gave me some homework. In the weeks after I brought it up with a fiddle player who lived next door who used to buy pot from me and he had a tape of Charley Patton that he had recorded indirectly from a turntable many years prior. He also had a similar tape of Django and Stephane Grappelli, just the two of them. That one especially blew my mind. I still don't know what that could have been. I've been trying to figure it out for 25 years. That guy was one of the best neighbors ever.
I own Hammond's first recordings and most his Vanguard stuff, as ya know he is as blues as blues gets and ya wouldn't think it if ya know his story.

Django Rhinehart (sp?)  a must listen, BB King a huge fan of his.

Good stuff.

Any guitar player since worth his salt has gone through Django training. The greatest player to ever live, imo. Never mind only being able to solo with two fingers.

Any guitar player since worth his salt has gone through Django training. The greatest player to ever live, imo. Never mind only being able to solo with two fingers.
I can see why you'd feel that way, the guy was amazing.

You familiar with Lonnie Johnson, Tampa Red, Scrapper Blackwell?

Users who are viewing this thread