What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Foles Landing Spot/Contract Size (Jags, reportedly 4/88 50 guaranteed) (3 Viewers)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Been debating this with a lot of people, seems to be a polarizing discussion, especially when Eagles fans get involved. 

Apparently they think he loves Philly so much he’ll stay there for $27 dollars an hour. He also can’t succeed outside of Philly is a cute argument I hear. Even though Goff was equally bad under Fisher. 

I say the the Giants, they invest their picks and FA on the OL, they have the skilled position players in place. 4/82 $38 guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Eagles fan really thinks he's coming back. They're just thinking nostalgically. 

My guess would be the Jags. Cut Bortles. Bring in Nick for around $25-28m a year for 4 years, probably around $40m guaranteed. 

Bucs. Oh wait,they are gonna blow that and give their bust QB, 19 million more to lead the league in turnovers.

Yahoo is reporting he'll be leaving Philly after this season. He's probably looking to get a $20 million one year deal. I'd think JAX would be a potential landing spot as would WAS, but they have quite a bit tied up in Alex Smith money.

Yahoo is reporting he'll be leaving Philly after this season. He's probably looking to get a $20 million one year deal. I'd think JAX would be a potential landing spot as would WAS, but they have quite a bit tied up in Alex Smith money.
One year deal? Really?

Alex Smith signed a 4/94 with like 71 guaranteed.

Bucs. Oh wait,they are gonna blow that and give their bust QB, 19 million more to lead the league in turnovers.
:lol:  you are so salty all the time.

The Bucs are pot committed to Winston.. and I'm not sure Foles would be an improvement.

I'm shocked PHI didn't trade Foles LAST year.

that's a good order
We don't really know what was offered for him.  From the sounds of it, it wasn't a lot.

Also, if we somehow make it into playoffs, it was worth it.  Don't think Sudfeld beats Atlanta, LA, or Houston.

Jax most likely. 

Only question I wonder is if Philly will pick up his 20 mil contract and try to trade him or not.

I don't think the Redskins can afford to pay a QB after the Alex Smith deal.

3 teams ready to win now:

Giants have Manning, and although he isn't great he is also serviceable. they could afford to draft a qb, and there should be a top one for them at their spot. However they are ready to win now, so this may be the most logical spot for Foles. 

Jacksonville... they could definitely draft a QB at their spot. I'm not sure they are in the market for a high priced qb given their other needs. But Foles makes them better and an instant playoff team IMO.

Denver likely doesnt have a chance to land a qb in this draft less its Daniel Jones. who I absolutely love. Put a good QB on Denver and they will be awesome. 

3 teams ready to win now:

Giants have Manning, and although he isn't great he is also serviceable. they could afford to draft a qb, and there should be a top one for them at their spot. However they are ready to win now, so this may be the most logical spot for Foles. 

Jacksonville... they could definitely draft a QB at their spot. I'm not sure they are in the market for a high priced qb given their other needs. But Foles makes them better and an instant playoff team IMO.

Denver likely doesnt have a chance to land a qb in this draft less its Daniel Jones. who I absolutely love. Put a good QB on Denver and they will be awesome. 
I just REALLY don't think Foles goes to the Giants.  Gut feeling maybe, but I just don't think he wants to play there.

This isn’t shaping up to be the best offseason for teams in need of a QB, whether it’s free agents or the draft. I’d be pretty happy if Miami landed him for a reasonable price. I think he ends up in Jacksonville though. 

He seems to thrive in certain offenses, others not so much. Might have been interesting to see what he could have done in KC because supposedly Reid practically talked him out of retirement.

There are similarities to Keenum last year.  Granted Foles has had a longer track record of success but both guys were a good fit with their teams and the risk is that you put Foles in a new environment and for whatever reason everything doesn't translate.  I think getting a chance to prove it type deal is what he will get, with the money being a little higher than Keenum's deal.

I hope he doesn’t wind up in Jacksonville. That would be heart breaking. He’s a different cat. He’s not gonna sign somewhere just for the best monetary deal. He’s going to want to make sure the city is a good fit for his family. Money is not the number one concern for him. Not saying he or is agent are going to sign for peanuts but I think he’ll be very selective about where he goes. 

As an aside—and don’t any of my fellow Eagles fans throw rocks at me here—where I live I have several Giants fans in my life. Smart fans I’d say. They want Foles BADLY. I asked just as a hypothetical if they’d take Wentz even up for Barkley. I was told to go F myself 🤷‍♂️🤣

I just REALLY don't think Foles goes to the Giants.  Gut feeling maybe, but I just don't think he wants to play there.
Foles is one of those QBs that needs good O-Line play to succeed. The Giants don’t offer that. I can see him picking somewhere else because of that. 

I wrote this in the Nick Foles thread:

Two questions:
1) Can he be a top 12 fantasy QB?
2) If so, where would he need to land for that to happen?

Not too many potential landing spots:
CIN - ready to move on from Dalton? 3 years in a row without a playoff appearance. Those 1st round losses used to be enough...
MIA - still a lot of dead cap in Tannehill next year and he's looked fairly good when healthy
JAX - still a lot of dead cap in Bortles next year, but he has looked bad
DEN - a real possibility, but basically starting from scratch at WR/TE
WAS - depends on Alex Smith's health... so much dead cap through 2020

Also something to consider: Bridgewater will be an enticing free agent.
I later added NYG, but noted the OL could present a problem. We all know OBJ, Shepard, & Barkley would be nice to throw to, but they probably won't have the cap space to overpay for another offensive lineman like they did for Solder. 

Foles has been near elite if you take out the Jeff Fisher year.  Similar to Ben, Wilson, Ryan, Luck -- with more volatility (due to stop/start nature of his career IMO). 

Someone is going to pay him north of 22MM a year.

I hope he doesn’t wind up in Jacksonville. That would be heart breaking. He’s a different cat. He’s not gonna sign somewhere just for the best monetary deal. He’s going to want to make sure the city is a good fit for his family. Money is not the number one concern for him. Not saying he or is agent are going to sign for peanuts but I think he’ll be very selective about where he goes. 

As an aside—and don’t any of my fellow Eagles fans throw rocks at me here—where I live I have several Giants fans in my life. Smart fans I’d say. They want Foles BADLY. I asked just as a hypothetical if they’d take Wentz even up for Barkley. I was told to go F myself 🤷‍♂️🤣
Foles' will sign for around 20 million per. If Wentz was a free agent, he'd be around 35 million per. By a bunch of teams looking for their franchise quarterback. 

And let me get this straight, the same Giants fan base who have some saying they should have taken Sam Darnold instead of Barkley wouldn't trade him for Wentz?  Now THAT'S funny.  

Foles has been near elite if you take out the Jeff Fisher year.  Similar to Ben, Wilson, Ryan, Luck -- with more volatility (due to stop/start nature of his career IMO). 

Foles' second year under Chip Kelly was very average.  I agree on your 22 million number. He's going to get around the same as Case Keenum last year. 

The Giants were the team I have been saying makes a lot of sense, obviously Eagles fans will shout from their rooftops that it makes no sense, but that’s just homerism at its finest.

An investment with their 1st/2nd this year and a FA signing either this year or next in the OL, along with the skilled position players they already have and that offense becomes scary good with BDN at QB.

And guarantee at least $40mm.

The number only goes up if they win in Chicago.

I later added NYG, but noted the OL could present a problem. We all know OBJ, Shepard, & Barkley would be nice to throw to, but they probably won't have the cap space to overpay for another offensive lineman like they did for Solder. 
They can invest their 1st/2nd in OL, and invest next year in one more during FA. 

They can invest their 1st/2nd in OL, and invest next year in one more during FA. 
Anything is possible, but 1) that team has more problems than just OL so they probably won't invest their 1st two picks at OL, 2) you'd be relying on rookies as starters, 3) those rookies could easily be busts or guys that take more than 1 year to develop into NFL starters... so even if they really do spend their first 2 picks on OL, the line could still be garbage. As for FA, they don't have much cap space, especially after they cut Eli and sign a QB.

Again, stranger things have happened, but it would be prudent to expect the 2019 NYG OL to be in the bottom 25% of the league.

They started coming together a little better down the stretch - and another offseason of cohesiveness could help. Solder was a classic overpay and he performed even worse than could have been imagined but Hernandez looked like a good draft pick-up. It still needs work of course, and I do not believe they have a ton of cap space - so they will need to draft well.

nevertheless, I see Eli Manning being the starter next season once again anyway, and perhaps they move back into Round 1 to draft a rookie QB like the Duke kid who I could see being a good fit to sit and learn for a season.

Jax most likely. 

Only question I wonder is if Philly will pick up his 20 mil contract and try to trade him or not.

I don't think the Redskins can afford to pay a QB after the Alex Smith deal.
I believe it is a mutual option - they both have to agree, in this case, to start the trade market.

They started coming together a little better down the stretch - and another offseason of cohesiveness could help. Solder was a classic overpay and he performed even worse than could have been imagined but Hernandez looked like a good draft pick-up. It still needs work of course, and I do not believe they have a ton of cap space - so they will need to draft well.

nevertheless, I see Eli Manning being the starter next season once again anyway, and perhaps they move back into Round 1 to draft a rookie QB like the Duke kid who I could see being a good fit to sit and learn for a season.
Bitonti does a weekly ranking for FBG and I want to say they remained in the bottom quarter of the league even towards the end, but I wasn't looking that closely.

I'm no Giants fan, but for the sake of fantasy football, I hope you are wrong and we don't have to watch another year of Eli. $6.2M is nothing to shake a stick at, but in terms of QBs, that's not a ton of dead cap to eat in order to move on: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/

Bitonti does a weekly ranking for FBG and I want to say they remained in the bottom quarter of the league even towards the end, but I wasn't looking that closely.

I'm no Giants fan, but for the sake of fantasy football, I hope you are wrong and we don't have to watch another year of Eli. $6.2M is nothing to shake a stick at, but in terms of QBs, that's not a ton of dead cap to eat in order to move on: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning-4348/
I’m not a Giants fan either but live in the market - I feel pretty confident in saying Eli will be next year’s starting QB. Of course I very well may be wrong, but just reading the tea leaves.

Personally I think he’s toast, so I’d take the cap hit and thank him for the memories.

PFF has the Giants OL at 25th of 32 teams. 

I’m not a Giants fan either but live in the market - I feel pretty confident in saying Eli will be next year’s starting QB. Of course I very well may be wrong, but just reading the tea leaves.

Personally I think he’s toast, so I’d take the cap hit and thank him for the memories.
Yep, certainly a possibility. Would just be more exciting to see Foles or Bridgewater behind center just to mix things up and give OBJ/Shepard/Engram/Barkley owners some hope.

Yep, certainly a possibility. Would just be more exciting to see Foles or Bridgewater behind center just to mix things up and give OBJ/Shepard/Engram/Barkley owners some hope.
I don't think Bridgewater has much of a shine left to him. I highly doubt he's a starter next year. Or ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread