What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Foles Landing Spot/Contract Size (Jags, reportedly 4/88 50 guaranteed) (4 Viewers)

From everything I have read Miami is quite content to tank this year in order to try and land Tua in 2020 draft 
Man, I love Tua, but I don't think he's worth completely tanking for. But then, except Andrew luck, I don't think any QB has been worth intentionally tanking for.

Sure, except they won't admit that Eli is no longer a franchise QB
I feel like they are just going to let this last year of Eli's contract run out, because they are basically ####### and don't want to get crucified by the NY Media again like when he was benched in 2017. Eli has a no trade clause and is due a $5M roster bonus in March, they are probably too afraid to outright cut him, he's not gonna take a paycut... they're probably stuck with him for one more season.

Eagles GM Howie Roseman said the team will not use the franchise tag on Nick Foles, allowing him to become a free agent.

The tag was in play as a way to trade Foles and get compensation back, but the Eagles are just cutting the cord and moving on with Carson Wentz, allowing Foles a clear path to pick his own team. Foles just turned 30 last month and is easily the most sought-after free agent passer. The Jaguars have been mentioned the most as a landing spot. There just don't appear to be a ton of suitors that give Foles a chance to win. Jacksonville may be his best bet.

Looking like he is going to be Jacksonville bound.
just saw this also. adding link to story.
https://www.philly.com/eagles/nick-foles-jaguars-free-agency-eagles-20190303.html

and from another link:

https://www.philly.com/eagles/carson-wentz-contract-extension-tyrod-taylor-andrew-berry-brandon-graham-jordan-hicks-20190302.html

Speaking of Foles, the Jaguars have already begun the legwork on signing the free agent, and barring some late reemergence from other teams, will ink him to a contract under market value for starting quarterbacks.

If the numbers are true he exceeded just about every expectation. Rumors are 4-88 that could reach 102 million with 50 guaranteed. That’s a damn good job by him. 

@fantasycurse42 please update my loss in the standings accordingly 👍

I missed this by a lot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome deal for Jax to get a Super Bowl winning QB, and major sex symbol they can market, at that price.

I agree on three years. I think your dollars are a little high though.  He'll get more per year than Case Keenum (18 mill).  But I don't think he'll hit 25.  Best thing that could happen to him is if two teams want him badly. If he can play two teams against each other, it could approach 25 million, I suppose. I think Difilipo in Jacksonville would love to have him. 
I was right there on the money but he got one more year than I thought he would. Good for him. He'll always be a hero to us Eagles fans.

Damn, dude got paid. IDK if he'll be good or bad in JAX, but that's a lot of guaranteed money to find out.

I think people just don't understand how much a QB with a pulse is worth. They also don't get that the salary cap goes up every year, so every deal is bigger than the last one (more or less). He's in the Kirk Cousins tier, he was going to get a little better than Kirk Cousins money.

I was right there on the money but he got one more year than I thought he would. Good for him. He'll always be a hero to us Eagles fans.
:lmao:  You sure about that?

I love Foles. Best backup in the league. And better than quite a few starters in the league. But there is no chance he's back with the Eagles next year. Jacksonville seems like the most likely spot. But Philly can't throw 20 million at him when Wentz is going to be getting 30 million a year later.  And as much as he loves the Eagles,  he's obviously not going to sign up for 25 or 30% of his value. If he was only in his second year, his stock would be much higher. Unfortunately, the league has seen him in a starting role and he's never been consistent. I think the Case Keenum from last year comparison is a good one. And I think he will get a similar contract from someone. 
Right there on money :lmao:   :cry:   :lmao:

This!

Eagles fans can spin it however they want to rationalize it, and I understand that, nobody wants to see the guy go.

NFL GMs see the same stuff we see, this guy is a winner, his teammates love him, and given the opportunity he is a leader. 

AFTER winning a SB last year, he’s now 4-1 as the starter this year, including an already very memorable December. 

All it takes is one GM, and I absolutely believe there will be. I think he’ll be between a Keenum like deal and a true franchise QB deal. I’d think the headline will be something like 4/90 with about $28-30 on the 4th year at a team option and like $40ish guaranteed. 

This is what the market dictates imo, and that is the most important force.
I might be the GM for the Jaguars :shrug:

GMs also see his entire career.  By the way, he's 3-1 this year. Not 4-1. I think Kernums deal is about the best he can hope for. Which would be awesome for a guy who was pretty much written off altogether after failing with the Rams. In an ideal world, he'd be the Eagles backup forever. They have the best two QBs in the division. Unfortunately, he deserves his own payday and starting gig. I just don't think he'll be viewed by any teams as an elite QB. 
:lmao:  nailed it  :lmao:

Don't be that guy.  I still don't know where you made up the narrative that Eagles fans would actually be HAPPIER if he made less money.  Not everyone is obsessed with being 'right' like you.  Jeez man.

Bit more than I thought he'd get, but super happy for the guy.  Especially considering the Jags had lots of leverage as they were the only team going after him.  It's astonishing how much QB's are getting paid... every new deal is going to be a record breaker.

He lands pretty much right in the middle of the Keenum and the Cousins deals.

CK:  18/yr- 25 Guaranteed
NF:  22/yr- 50 Guaranteed
KC:  28/yr- 84 Guaranteed

Looks pretty close to the Alex Smith and Joe Flacco contracts. 

What a story this guy has had.

I hope this works out for Nick. I hope the Jags have a nice turnaround. Not sold on the culture of the coaching there. I’ve always had a soft spot for that team though. They are my “AFC” south team LOL. Would love for Foles to succeed there!

As an aside to the value and astronomical pay of QBs, just watch 5 minutes of that AAF league. That’s about all I can stand due to how bad the pass throwers are. There are literally like 18-25 phenomenal to somewhat capable QBs on the planet it seems at any one time. And Foles is one of them.

You're quoting posts from December. Find my posts from January. I quoted one above. His playoff win against the Bears and almost-win against the Saints made me reevaluate and say he'd make a little over 20 million per year. I nailed it on the money, but thought he'd only get a three year deal. I was off a year on the length.  Sorry to ruin your day.  lol

Don't be that guy.  I still don't know where you made up the narrative that Eagles fans would actually be HAPPIER if he made less money.  Not everyone is obsessed with being 'right' like you.  Jeez man.

Hey, he was right once in a row.  He’s gotta do his TD dance to celebrate.

I hope this works out for Nick. I hope the Jags have a nice turnaround. Not sold on the culture of the coaching there. I’ve always had a soft spot for that team though. They are my “AFC” south team LOL. Would love for Foles to succeed there!

As an aside to the value and astronomical pay of QBs, just watch 5 minutes of that AAF league. That’s about all I can stand due to how bad the pass throwers are. There are literally like 18-25 phenomenal to somewhat capable QBs on the planet it seems at any one time. And Foles is one of them.
Foles vs Wentz in the Super Bowl. :popcorn:

I think people just don't understand how much a QB with a pulse is worth. They also don't get that the salary cap goes up every year, so every deal is bigger than the last one (more or less). He's in the Kirk Cousins tier, he was going to get a little better than Kirk Cousins money.
He didn’t get Cousins money. 

I’m very curious who the Jags thought they were bidding against. From everything I read it was just them who was interested in Foles. If true that’s a lot of money if you’re the only suitor. 

We had two. Can't pay them both. We chose the younger one with more potential. Must suck seeing that as a franchise who hasn't had one since the early 90's.  :(  
Meh, despite sucking for a very long time and coming into the league much later than you they still have 4 more super bowls than you and they are and will always be more relevant than pennsylvania’s second team. 

But you know all that.

Meh, despite sucking for a very long time and coming into the league much later than you they still have 4 more super bowls than you and they are and will always be more relevant than pennsylvania’s second team. 

But you know all that.
Oh wow. Clever retort. Who would have ever thought you'd bring up Super Bowl rings from 25 years ago? The fact remains, you've sucked for a quarter century. And we just got rid of a QB who's better than the one you're stuck with.  At least you have the old VHS tapes to watch. :lol:

I’m very curious who the Jags thought they were bidding against. From everything I read it was just them who was interested in Foles. If true that’s a lot of money if you’re the only suitor. 

If you think he’s your franchise QB, then that price is pretty cheap.  The question is whether he is a franchise QB.  Personally I think JAX needs to expend some mid-round draft capital on a rookie to sit behind him just in case.

Bit more than I thought he'd get, but super happy for the guy.  Especially considering the Jags had lots of leverage as they were the only team going after him.  It's astonishing how much QB's are getting paid... every new deal is going to be a record breaker.

He lands pretty much right in the middle of the Keenum and the Cousins deals.

CK:  18/yr- 25 Guaranteed
NF:  22/yr- 50 Guaranteed
KC:  28/yr- 84 Guaranteed

Looks pretty close to the Alex Smith and Joe Flacco contracts. 

What a story this guy has had.
Really appreciate the humility Foles has always exhibited. Great play for the Eagles two years in a row and excited for him on the contract. He gets an opportunity to lead on a team with a great defense and a chance for success.

These contracts are always so difficult to evaluate because of the annual cap increases. So many comments the past few days about their teams (or rival teams) wasting money.

some of these early signings may be evaluated down the road as overpays. But it’s a team game and in this case, the Jaguars badly needed a QB, and I hope it works out for them and for Nick Foles. It is now a vastly improved division for sure.

If you think he’s your franchise QB, then that price is pretty cheap.  The question is whether he is a franchise QB.  Personally I think JAX needs to expend some mid-round draft capital on a rookie to sit behind him just in case.
I agree 100%. I just never heard another team associated with him for a while and because of that expected a lesser deal. The deal they gave him seems like they thought there was completion and they went all in. I’ve seen a few Jags writers begin to question it last night and I was curious myself. 

I agree 100%. I just never heard another team associated with him for a while and because of that expected a lesser deal. The deal they gave him seems like they thought there was completion and they went all in. I’ve seen a few Jags writers begin to question it last night and I was curious myself. 

If that’s the case, then the Jags sportswriters don’t understand the market (no surprise there). That number puts him at QB11 right now in terms of average salary, but by the time his contract expires he’ll probably get passed by at least another 10 guys.

Who was the competition for Cousins? He wasn't coming back to Washington. Some say the Jets but who knows how real that is.

This is just the going rate for QBs. Any agent worth their salt isn't going to let a client who's being pursued as a starter get paid backup money. Jacksonville may have been competing against themselves but they were also competing against complete rebuild or a retool back to relevance. 

Who was the competition for Cousins? He wasn't coming back to Washington. Some say the Jets but who knows how real that is.

This is just the going rate for QBs. Any agent worth their salt isn't going to let a client who's being pursued as a starter get paid backup money. Jacksonville may have been competing against themselves but they were also competing against complete rebuild or a retool back to relevance. 
Cousins, from what I recall, had a LOT of competition. Pretty much every team that drafted a QB was rumored to be interested in him. 

He got a lot more than back up money. Like a whole lot more. 

If that’s the case, then the Jags sportswriters don’t understand the market (no surprise there). That number puts him at QB11 right now in terms of average salary, but by the time his contract expires he’ll probably get passed by at least another 10 guys.
I think anyone questioning who they were bidding against is fair and it’s seperate than market value. You’re not paying market value if there’s no market. Assuming they were the only ones in of course. 

Oh wow. Clever retort. Who would have ever thought you'd bring up Super Bowl rings from 25 years ago? The fact remains, you've sucked for a quarter century. And we just got rid of a QB who's better than the one you're stuck with.  At least you have the old VHS tapes to watch. :lol:
You brought the 90s Cowboys up, Copernicus. 

Your jokes are as old as our Superbowls. Literally say the same thing over and over. 

Dak might not have the supposed upside of your boy Wentz but has a playoff win and is actually available during the winter months. He’s also not a weird hillbilly and his teammates actually like him. 

Looking forward to talking more Dallas Cowboys with you in other threads that aren’t discussing the Dallas Cowboys but let’s stick to the topic, The Eagles letting go of the best quarterback theyve ever had getting out of that filthy city and landing himself a fat contract.

I think anyone questioning who they were bidding against is fair and it’s seperate than market value. You’re not paying market value if there’s no market. Assuming they were the only ones in of course. 

There’s always a market for starting QBs.  If you want an extended deal, you have to pay for it.  JAX in no way, shape, or form overpaid.  It may end up falling through if Foles doesn’t perform, but the number was good for a 4 year contract for a vet starter.

You brought the 90s Cowboys up, Copernicus. 

Your jokes are as old as our Superbowls. Literally say the same thing over and over. 

Dak might not have the supposed upside of your boy Wentz but has a playoff win and is actually available during the winter months. He’s also not a weird hillbilly and his teammates actually like him. 

Looking forward to talking more Dallas Cowboys with you in other threads that aren’t discussing the Dallas Cowboys but let’s stick to the topic, The Eagles letting go of the best quarterback theyve ever had getting out of that filthy city and landing himself a fat contract.
Sick burn. You should be in the Cowboys thread figuring out why your entire defense is comprised of drug addicts who can't stay on the field. Your obsession with the Eagles is laughable. 

Yeah, the fact he was able to get as bit of a big contract as he did is surprising under the circumstances. I can't see where else Foles could have realistically gone and started.  

Yeah, the fact he was able to get as bit of a big contract as he did is surprising under the circumstances. I can't see where else Foles could have realistically gone and started.  
Thing is Jax was pretty desperate to a certain extent. They think they can compete now I’m guessing so if they didn’t get Foles they had no other option. And they had no way of knowing that Washington or maybe another team wouldn’t come in with an offer. 

That guy? 

JuniorNB made the Case Keenum comparison about 2 dozen times, no exaggeration. He's a blowhard, and he's being called on it. Had he not come into this thread highlighting how he was right on the money, I wouldn't have said anything. Pretty easy to be right on the money when you argue both sides. 

Notice I didn't quote a single post from anyone else? You also said Case Keenum money in the Eagles thread, I didn't quote that. Bigboy admitted he misjudged the value of the guy which was respectable and that was that. 

NB on the other hand is the worst kind of blowhard... Dollars to donuts, he'd be quoting his Case Keenum posts had his contract been 2/40. Guy was banned from another board similar to this one for being an annoying blowhard, I call it like I see it. 

So please, get off your high horse. 

That guy? 

JuniorNB made the Case Keenum comparison about 2 dozen times, no exaggeration. He's a blowhard, and he's being called on it. Had he not come into this thread highlighting how he was right on the money, I wouldn't have said anything. Pretty easy to be right on the money when you argue both sides. 

Notice I didn't quote a single post from anyone else? You also said Case Keenum money in the Eagles thread, I didn't quote that. Bigboy admitted he misjudged the value of the guy which was respectable and that was that. 

NB on the other hand is the worst kind of blowhard... Dollars to donuts, he'd be quoting his Case Keenum posts had his contract been 2/40. Guy was banned from another board similar to this one for being an annoying blowhard, I call it like I see it. 

So please, get off your high horse. 
I was right on the money and admitted I guessed one year less on the contract length. I said he'll get paid over 20 million and less than 25 million. You can argue that all you want, but the proof lies upthread multiple times. Sorry if that ruined your big 'gotcha' moment. I hope the rest of your day is better.   :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread