What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Foles Landing Spot/Contract Size (Jags, reportedly 4/88 50 guaranteed) (3 Viewers)

IIRC, Foles threw like 27 TDs and only 2 ints his first year starting under Reid?!! His only bad years were with Fisher who I think we now know is the anti QB whisperer. He will have some options and I’m very happy for him. 

PFF has the Giants OL at 25th of 32 teams. 
That's probably about as high as they can hope to be next year unless they get lucky and draft a guy who is good enough (and a quick enough learner) to be a week 1 starter. If they sign a QB, they won't have the cap to sign OL.

I don't think Bridgewater has much of a shine left to him. I highly doubt he's a starter next year. Or ever again.
I've got no vested interest in him, but I recall he created a lot of buzz in Jets camp this year. I'm not writing him off yet if I'm an NFL GM. He's the same age as Wentz. 

That's probably about as high as they can hope to be next year unless they get lucky and draft a guy who is good enough (and a quick enough learner) to be a week 1 starter. If they sign a QB, they won't have the cap to sign OL.

I've got no vested interest in him, but I recall he created a lot of buzz in Jets camp this year. I'm not writing him off yet if I'm an NFL GM. He's the same age as Wentz. 
I’d bet a decent sum of money Bridgewater is starting somewhere next season.

IIRC, Foles threw like 27 TDs and only 2 ints his first year starting under Reid?!! His only bad years were with Fisher who I think we now know is the anti QB whisperer. He will have some options and I’m very happy for him. 
As a eagles fan, I was psyched after that season. His next season as eagles starter was a disappointment. 

Was the 27-2 season under Chip? Also tied the nfl record with 6 TD game. 

Jags are 1 of 2 teams over the projected cap for next year and cutting Bortles only saves a small amt due to the dumb extension they gave him. They will make moves to get some cap space, but seems most likely they will have to draft a QB with the 7 pick or move up. Bronco's have a lot of cap space, but Keenum is due $7M guaranteed for 2019. At the 10 pick you aren't guaranteed a QB but could move up or maybe draft an offensive lineman to give Keenum time throw the ball. Both Bortles and Keenum might make sense as bridge QB's for new guys especially given their contracts.

Looking at salary cap space for the moment, not a lot of obvious landing spots for Foles. Dolphins and Giants seem like possibilities. Maybe the Titans or Bengals to bring in competition or if they cut ties with Mariota or Dalton. The teams with obvious needs at QB like Wash/Jags are hurting for space. Some of them may have to do some purging/rebuilding but then why would you be in the market for Foles if that's what you have to do?

Edit: I guess at 30 Foles will still be young enough to make sense for a team retooling a little bit. Didn't think about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
27-2 was under Chip Kelly. And he tied the record with 7 TDs in one game (3 quarters really) against the Oakland Raiders. 

In 2014 he had the Eagles to 6-2 before suffering a season ending injury against the Texans in week 9. He also suffered a cracked rib in week 3 from a cheap shot by Chris Baker of the Redskins. This led to lesser numbers than his previous year before his season ended. Some people mistook this as a regression when it was really Foles playing through injury.

Chip Kelly did not like Foles. Felt he wasn't mobile enough for his offense. He traded him and a draft pick to Stl for Bradford once he gained control of the GM position from Roseman. Nick then struggled with Jeff Fisher's offense because it was based on schemes from a time before Nick was even born. Nick considered retirement as an alternative to playing with Fisher anymore. 

Andy Reid convinced Nick to come to KC as a backup to Alex Smith. It helped Nick get back into a proper football scheme and remember why he enjoyed playing. He was brought on as the Eagles backup in 2017 and we know the rest of that story.

Nick has never really been given a fair shake as a starter but in the times that he has started, he is 26-18 (including the 4-7 in STL) with 68td 33int. He deserves the chance to play as the starter somewhere and I hope he has a great career in the league (as long as it's not NYG or Wash).

Miami is looking more and more like a potential top spot for him.  Oline isn't great, but no way is a brand new coaching coming in with Tannehill as the starter.  They're also too low down in the 1st to draft one.  This is a PRIME spot for a FA QB, and Foles and Teddy are the only ones.  Book it.

Has there been an offense he did not thrive in other than when he played for Jeff Fisher?
Is "thrive" really what Foles did in Philly?  I mean he has some really good games (two of which admittedly came at the absolute perfect time) and some really bad games.  After the really bad games everyone talks about him like he's hot garbage and after the good ones they talk about him like he's the biggest of big deals.

He has thrown for 0 TDs in a game more often for Philly than he's thrown for 2+ TDs in a game.

Foles' will sign for around 20 million per. If Wentz was a free agent, he'd be around 35 million per. By a bunch of teams looking for their franchise quarterback. 

And let me get this straight, the same Giants fan base who have some saying they should have taken Sam Darnold instead of Barkley wouldn't trade him for Wentz?  Now THAT'S funny.  
Who is saying they should have taken Darnold over Barkley? And what's so funny about not wanting Wentz? 

• Smile
Reactions: Jed
Trade Wentz and give Foles the keys to the car. Sometimes the eyeball test is what matters.

I'm somewhat concerned as a Chicago fan.

Foles has that Eli Manning clutch gene. Any team with a respectable defense could win with this guy.

He has the willingness to push the ball downfield. 

He has thrown for 0 TDs in a game more often for Philly than he's thrown for 2+ TDs in a game.
Foles has 47 games outside Saint Louis, including playoff games.

In nine of those games he either didn't start or didn't finish the game (12 or fewer attempts).  In the other 38 games he threw 2+ TDs in 21 games, exactly one TD in 10, and zero TDs in 7.

Altogether, he has 67 TDs (28 per full season) and 22 INTs (9 per season) in those 38 games. 

For reference, Cousins was +30/-10, Brady was +29/-11, and Watson was +26/-9 in 16 games this season and all three of their teams made the playoffs.

He's getting paid.  IMO something like 3/75 or 4/90 with a big chunk guaranteed.

In nine of those games he either didn't start or didn't finish the game (12 or fewer attempts).  In the other 38 games he threw 2+ TDs in 21 games, exactly one TD in 10, and zero TDs in 7.

Altogether, he has 67 TDs (28 per full season) and 22 INTs (9 per season) in those 38 games. 

For reference, Cousins was +30/-10, Brady was +29/-11, and Watson was +26/-9 in 16 games this season and all three of their teams made the playoffs.

He's getting paid.
Don’t let facts get in the way of some solid hate

He's getting paid.  IMO something like 3/75 or 4/90 with a big chunk guaranteed.
Thanks for doing the research. Didn't have the time to shoot that post down.

Trade Wentz and give Foles the keys to the car. Sometimes the eyeball test is what matters.

I’m still not 100% committed to doing that but I do lean farther towards that prospect than most of the Eagles fans on this board. I feel the exact same way, my eyes—and to a degree my heart and guts—tell me all I need to know.

Not going to happen. Wentz is 5 years younger and as good as Foles has looked with this offense, Wentz looked better before he got hurt last year. I'm excited to see him next year after another year removed from the knee injury and being able to workout with his guys in the mini camps again.

Not going to happen. Wentz is 5 years younger and as good as Foles has looked with this offense, Wentz looked better before he got hurt last year. I'm excited to see him next year after another year removed from the knee injury and being able to workout with his guys in the mini camps again.
Completely agree. Not paying Wentz yet, picking up Foles option in a sign and trade seems like the shark play here. 

I don't think the skins can get him, so I hope he goes to a QB needy team drafting in front of them. There are really only three good QB prospects, and I can hope that helps one of the fall in the draft.

Insein said:
This. People are strangely forgetting just how awesome Wentz was last year. He wasn't just great, he was the best quarterback in the league. Even more strange that it's Eagles fans who are forgetting. 

This. People are strangely forgetting just how awesome Wentz was last year. He wasn't just great, he was the best quarterback in the league. Even more strange that it's Eagles fans who are forgetting. 
No one rational (and I concede that maybe I’m not 100% rational) is forgetting the 11-2 run Wentz had last year. I’m sorry but that run does not put him in the ilk of a Rodgers just yet. It’s less than one season’s worth of spectacular play. Can he go on to do that for a good number of years? I certainly hope so! Is it a given though especially considering the injuries? That’s the fly in the ointment.

Also, why does Wentz’s 11-2 run get thrown out like this is his normal and expected level of performance going forward but every time Nick’s 27-2 run plus his playoff run last year always gets hit with a “whatabout”? 

Miami, Giants, Washington and Tampa Bay make the most sense to me. I could also see Denver moving on from Keenum....or their could be an unexpected retirement from someone like ivers should the Chargers win it all that could alter things.

On the road, down 5, 4 minutes left in the game, playoffs, against the best defense in football... :popcorn:

He's going to go somewhere else and be a bust. Think he's got the perfect situation in Philly. Been awesome to watch him do this 2 years in a row.

In the right situation, he can thrive.   He is proving that again.  

Why will he be a bust? 

No moment is too big for him, does he have to walk on water for you to believe?
I'll root for the guy unless he's goes to AZ somehow.

But, I think it's all about situations in the NFL. Far more likely wherever he goes will be some much worse situation. Different coaches, different schemes, personal on the field, etc. He's got some magic going in Philly. 

I'll root for the guy unless he's goes to AZ somehow.

But, I think it's all about situations in the NFL. Far more likely wherever he goes will be some much worse situation. Different coaches, different schemes, personal on the field, etc. He's got some magic going in Philly. 
He had a great year under Chip Kelly during his 2nd year in the league. He failed under Fisher a couple of years later - that was one of the worst offensive coaches/schemes ever.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in 2019 if he goes to another team.

He had a great year under Chip Kelly during his 2nd year in the league. He failed under Fisher a couple of years later - that was one of the worst offensive coaches/schemes ever.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in 2019 if he goes to another team.
Pretty sure he won me my league the Chip Kelly season. Had something like 25 TDs with 2 picks or some such nonsense. 

If he goes to some trainwreck like Miami who knows what happens. 

Pretty sure he won me my league the Chip Kelly season. Had something like 25 TDs with 2 picks or some such nonsense. 

If he goes to some trainwreck like Miami who knows what happens. 
Miami is a train wreck. He could succeed with the Giants and their offensive weapons now.

Coming off an ACL and a broken back?  3 firsts is a lot.   His rookie deal still has 3 years on it though so who knows.  Will be crazy to see what happens if Foles wins next week.
The injury history is a good argument for why they should trade him. The production is why they would get a ton for him. 

But it's the rookie deal that makes him worth it.  Mack went for 2 firsts with 1 year left. Wentz plays a more important position and has a much friendlier contract.  

And for the eagles, not only is foles a surer thing, he makes alshon's contract more valuable because he knows how to use him. wentz is very good but he doesn't throw jump balls. He hasn't had the postseason success. 

Foles is more valuable to the eagles and the eagles are the best place for foles by far.  Wentz is awesome but 3 firsts is an unfathomable haul, and any qb needy team would have to seriously consider it.  I'd consider it for the pats even expecting brady back just to get the contract years.  Arizona wouldn't give 1.1 and two more firsts but there's a market in between. 

They could probably get 3 firsts for wentz
Honestly, the is probably the least they could get. I could easily see 4 firsts, or 3 firsts and a couple 2nd day picks, depending on how high the 2019 pick is. Who would be willing to pay an "offer I can't refuse" deal?

Denver= Elway isn't afraid to make big splashes, and he's failed at scouting unproven QB's. Broncos would have been a playoff team with a competent coach and a better QB.

Jacksonville= Do they view 2018 as a fluke, or was 2017? Is the defense still elite?

Miami= Haven't had a QB above a B- since Marino. Franchise needs an overhaul.

Oakland= Gruden and Carr seem to have a messy divorce coming up, and they have an abundance of picks. Essentially Mack+Cooper for Wentz wouldn't look too bad right?

Washington= Not likely due to being a division rival, though they did deal Donovan McNabb to them once upon a time. 

Would any Eagles fans be on board with trading Wentz for a King's ransom and just rolling with Foles?

I think it's a conversation that "should" have, but realistically.  If Foles goes elsewhere and has success, we'd be fine.  If Wentz leaves and has success, and we don't - we'd be sick.  Projectile vomiting sick.

I think Foles will get a starting gig, not with the Eagles  next year - the kicker for him is its just a bad year - there's not a LOT of spots open.

Dark Horse:  Brady retires, Foles signs with NE.

Honestly, the is probably the least they could get. I could easily see 4 firsts, or 3 firsts and a couple 2nd day picks, depending on how high the 2019 pick is. Who would be willing to pay an "offer I can't refuse" deal?

Denver= Elway isn't afraid to make big splashes, and he's failed at scouting unproven QB's. Broncos would have been a playoff team with a competent coach and a better QB.

Jacksonville= Do they view 2018 as a fluke, or was 2017? Is the defense still elite?

Miami= Haven't had a QB above a B- since Marino. Franchise needs an overhaul.

Oakland= Gruden and Carr seem to have a messy divorce coming up, and they have an abundance of picks. Essentially Mack+Cooper for Wentz wouldn't look too bad right?

Washington= Not likely due to being a division rival, though they did deal Donovan McNabb to them once upon a time. 

Would any Eagles fans be on board with trading Wentz for a King's ransom and just rolling with Foles?
Some would. I'm not one of them. I love Foles and even if he somehow wins the Super Bowl again, I still keep Wentz. For as good as Nick has done with this offense (it's been pretty good), Wentz showed last year that this is an elite offense with him firing on all cylinders. Combine that with a cheaper deal for the time being and him being 5 years younger than Foles and this is a pretty easy decision. 

Nick deserves to start for his own team for full seasons with no competition. Wentz is the Eagles future.

Some would. I'm not one of them. I love Foles and even if he somehow wins the Super Bowl again, I still keep Wentz. For as good as Nick has done with this offense (it's been pretty good), Wentz showed last year that this is an elite offense with him firing on all cylinders. Combine that with a cheaper deal for the time being and him being 5 years younger than Foles and this is a pretty easy decision. 

Nick deserves to start for his own team for full seasons with no competition. Wentz is the Eagles future.
The other thing is if Foles somehow wins another Super Bowl, at that point you're playing with house money for the next 6-8 years with a more talented younger QB.  

I think Foles will get a starting gig, not with the Eagles  next year - the kicker for him is its just a bad year - there's not a LOT of spots open.
It's also one of the worst qb drafts in recent memory, combined with one of the worst FA QB situations in recent history.  This is a great year for him to be looking.

Users who are viewing this thread