What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Carousel - Mark Davis hires everyone he sees on TV. (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Coaches who ARE goin out like that.  They ARE goin out like that. dig the graves for the ones who got played.

Bowles - NYJ

Joseph - DEN

Gase - MIA

Wilks - AZ

Koetter - TB

in addition to prior McCarthy and Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand Gase at all. Yeah his use of Drake from a fantasy perspective was mind boggling but that team constantly over achieved with little talent. 

Jay Morrison‏Verified account @JayMorrisonATH

Tenures of NFL coaches fired today.

• Steve Wilks (Cardinals): 1 season
  • Vance Joseph (Broncos): 2 seasons
  • Dirk Koetter (Bucs): 3 seasons
  • Adam Gase (Dolphins): 3 seasons
  • Todd Bowles (Jets): 4 seasons
  • Marvin Lewis (Bengals): 16 seasons
7:27 AM - 31 Dec 2018

I don't understand Gase at all. Yeah his use of Drake from a fantasy perspective was mind boggling but that team constantly over achieved with little talent. 
I don’t pay much attention to them, but who actually got better under him? This was another “offensive genius” who’s offense looked awful. 

How you can fire Wills after one year seems crazy to me- especially since they played a rookie QB and have a bottom 5 roster in terms of overall talent.

How you can fire Wills after one year seems crazy to me- especially since they played a rookie QB and have a bottom 5 roster in terms of overall talent.
Reads like he wasn’t their first choice and didn’t exceed expectations. 

Besides Cleveland they have the most desirable landing spot IMO. Young QB, 1st pick if the draft and 60+ in cap space. If they pick a good HC they could be very good in a couple years. 

I agree that it's tough to only get a year, but they were not even competitive in nearly half their games.  That is unacceptable in the NFL.  Heck, at least when the Browns went 0-16 last year, they were in most of those games. 

They didn't like the way he used David Johnson in the passing game.   

They also didn't like that he stopped using Patrick Peterson as a "shadow" corner.  

The players hate him and clearly gave up.
This is most likely true, but the two biggest reasons he’s gone IMO are his play calling and how the team was constantly unprepared on the road. I can’t even count the amount of road games where they were down 14-0 before they even had their second possession. His play calling was also atrocious for the most part. 

Field Yates‏Verified account @FieldYates 52m52 minutes ago

The eight NFL head coaching vacancies:

1. * Bengals
  2. * Broncos
  3. * Browns
  4. * Buccaneers
  5. * Cardinals
  6. * Dolphins
  7. * Jets
  8. * Packers
----------------------------

Mike Mayock is leaving the media and has taken the Raiders GM job.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Raiders are hiring NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock as their general manager, league sources tell ESPN. The announcement will be made as early as today.

5:25 AM - 31 Dec 2018

I’m not defending Gase, but you’d be frustrated if your GM kept force feeding Tannehill on you. Pretty tough to run an offense with that bum.

“So what do I hear? I heard a surprising number of veterans, including SURPRISING ones like Frank Gore, Kenny Stills, and especially Cameron Wake, all rose up and disavowed Gase privately. Wake and Stills directly to Steve Ross. Kenyan Drake wanted a trade if Gase remained.”

-Chris Kouffman

I was speaking specifically to running an offense through Ryan Tannehill. I don’t follow the Dolphins enough to have any other real opinions here, other then whoever committed to Tannehill is hopefully gone.
Omar Kelly‏Verified account @OmarKelly

Dolphins players were tremendously bothered by Adam Gase’s loyalty and excuse making for Ryan Tannehill. He lost a lot of support in the locker room in the second half of this season. It became clear players didn’t want Gase back, and aren’t Tannehill fans.

The other thing with Gase is that he constantly was purging talented players that didn't "buy in".  After three years of that and you still can't hold the locker room?  That is on you at that point.

Their owner is an idiot who likely thinks he can back up the brinks truck and get Harbaugh or some other big flashy name.

I don’t follow the Dolphins closely enough to know if Gase makes poor in-game decisions but I agree with your general sentiment that they have overachieved with him based on their (lack of) talent level.

Omar Kelly‏Verified account @OmarKelly

Dolphins players were tremendously bothered by Adam Gase’s loyalty and excuse making for Ryan Tannehill. He lost a lot of support in the locker room in the second half of this season. It became clear players didn’t want Gase back, and aren’t Tannehill fans.
What were Gase’s alternatives to backing Tannehill, Osweiler and Bryce Petty?

Gase is a guy that got the endorsement of Peyton Manning but anyone not named Peyton didn't get special treatment.  Seems Gase has the Todd Haley abrasive gene.

----------------------------------------

hris Kouffman‏ @ckparrot

So what do I hear? I heard a surprising number of veterans, including SURPRISING ones like Frank Gore, Kenny Stills, and especially Cameron Wake, all rose up and disavowed Gase privately. Wake and Stills directly to Steve Ross. Kenyan Drake wanted a trade if Gase remained.

7:34 AM - 31 Dec 2018

----------------------------------------

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL 40m40 minutes ago

A lot of these stories coming out now. Gase had alienated many people with what was perceived as a superior/standoffish attitude.

Benjamin Allbright added,

Craig MishVerified account @CraigMish

I’m told the falling out of Gase & Ross began after the loss to the Colts. Ross rarely chats after - tried to talk to Gase postgame & Gase from what I was told blew him off & told him “not now” (in less kind words).

-----------------------------------------

:(

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Within three hours of being fired in Miami, Adam Gase already had heard from the majority of teams with an HC opening, per source. Gase is expected to start his HC interviews this week.

EIGHT HC fired so far this year.  Is that a record?

Mike McCarthy- O
Adam Gase- O
Dirk Koetter- O
Hue Jackson- O
Marvin Lewis- D
Steve Wilks- D
Vance Joseph- D
Todd Bowles- D

- 5 of the 8 fired are minority coaches.  That means 5 of the 7 minority coaches in the league this year were fired.  Only Tomlin and Lynn left standing.

-  Those same 5 coaches were defensive guys.  Today's NFL seems to have little place for coaches with defensive backgrounds.  Gase and McCarthy are already talked about as locks to get HC jobs... the others not so much.

If I was a candidate for a head coaching job I would try and hook up with the Bengals.  Why?  Because their owner obviously has a very long leash for his coach.  Lewis would have been fired at least 3 times had he not gone to the Bengals and still remained a head coach somewhere. 

EIGHT HC fired so far this year.  Is that a record?

Mike McCarthy- O
Adam Gase- O
Dirk Koetter- O
Marvin Lewis- D
Steve Wilks- D
Vance Joseph- D
Todd Bowles- D
Hue Jackson- D

- 5 of the 8 fired are minority coaches.  That means 5 of the 7 minority coaches in the league this year were fired.  Only Tomlin and Lynn left standing.

-  Those same 5 coaches were defensive guys.  Today's NFL seems to have little place for coaches with defensive backgrounds.  Gase and McCarthy are already talked about as locks to get HC jobs... the others not so much.
Not to pick your list apart, but Hue Jackson was an Offensive Coordinator, QB coach, and RB coach before being a head coach.

ETA:   I agree that the new NFL is better set up for offensive minded success.

I’m not defending Gase, but you’d be frustrated if your GM kept force feeding Tannehill on you. Pretty tough to run an offense with that bum.
Well he did have all of last year without Tannehill.

Not that Cutler is a good prize, but Gase's Cutler was somehow far worse than even the worst Cutler of the past.  Even John Fox got more out of him than Gase did.

Well he did have all of last year without Tannehill.

Not that Cutler is a good prize, but Gase's Cutler was somehow far worse than even the worst Cutler of the past.  Even John Fox got more out of him than Gase did.
Cutler/Tannehill - beyond being a bad coach, sounds like he is a bad talent evaluator too, hasta luego Gase. 

If I was a candidate for a head coaching job I would try and hook up with the Bengals.  Why?  Because their owner obviously has a very long leash for his coach.  Lewis would have been fired at least 3 times had he not gone to the Bengals and still remained a head coach somewhere. 
Yeah.   In 16 years he has made 7 playoff appearances and zero playoff wins.   Unbelievable that he lasted that long.

Not to pick your list apart, but Hue Jackson was an Offensive Coordinator, QB coach, and RB coach before being a head coach.

ETA:   I agree that the new NFL is better set up for offensive minded success.
Ah, good catch, my bad.

That is a long list of HC vacancies.    There are some potentially good teams ready for a new coach.   This is shaping up to be a fun offseason!   

Brian Flores,DC Patriots, seems to be on everyone's interview list.

And, on the other side, Packers seeking to interview Josh McDaniel less than a year after he couldn't follow through with leaving for the Colts.

Brian Flores,DC Patriots, seems to be on everyone's interview list.

And, on the other side, Packers seeking to interview Josh McDaniel less than a year after he couldn't follow through with leaving for the Colts.
I think we have both on tap when we are allowed. I think having Rodgers in place as well as Adams, Jones and a good pick will make taking the Packers job easier. I am just hopeful we avoid a retread like the two we interviewed already.  

Jim harbaugh to NYJ?  Just speculation.

time is right.  NYJ will have best team in division within a few years

Users who are viewing this thread