What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Loud Commercials Again (1 Viewer)

matuski

Footballguy
I am a DirecTV Now customer for the time being.

We have noticed over the last few months that our commercials are WAY LOUDER than the show(s) we are watching.

Anyone else notice this on other providers?

I thought there was a law several years ago limiting  banning this?  Do I have a legit reason to push for impeachment now?   🤬

Last edited by a moderator:
Commercials aren't allowed to output higher sound than shows are allowed to and technically they don't. It has to do with sound leveling (or something that) all movies and shows modulate sound output depending on what is happening on screen on-screen, e.g. explosive car chases are loud as heck (as high as allowed), private conversations are quiet. It creates/adds-to atmosphere.  But commercials don't give a #$$# about creating those effects so they just blast everything at explosive car chase levels.

I don’t think it ever changed even when the law passed. I wish you could meter it and get $50 off your bill every time and it would be up to Directv to police the advertisers. We have no recourse which is BS.

It occurs to me that the only time I watch commercials on my TV is during NFL games (when not injecting Red Zone channel directly into my veins), and the Fox NFL pregame show.

I watch a lot of NHL center ice on direct TV and the commercials are always noticeably louder.  

It occurs to me that the only time I watch commercials on my TV is during NFL games (when not injecting Red Zone channel directly into my veins), and the Fox NFL pregame show.
I was going to say that I haven’t noticed anything. Then your post reminded me that I too, rarely watch commercials.

I think the networks pander to their andertisers by lowering the volume of their content, forcing users to raise their volume. Then advertisers just jack it up to the legal limit, which makes it seem that much louder. 

I think the networks pander to their andertisers by lowering the volume of their content, forcing users to raise their volume. Then advertisers just jack it up to the legal limit, which makes it seem that much louder. 
If the rule is written as anything other than "commercials will be at the same volume level as the show content" then it is written poorly. Which means, I'm sure it isn't written that way.

Getting blasted by commercials has been a pet peeve of mine for years. I don’t ever watch TV any more without the remote in hand (also use it regularly to increase for dialogue and then decrease for effects-music, explosions, etc). Volume up for show, volume waaaaay down for commercial. 

Users who are viewing this thread