What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2019 CINCY BENGALS THREAD - We are in the sunken place (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
TODAY IS TOMORROW

Actually we took a time machine back to the David Shula era - never mind.

New Coach.  New Thread.

Time to verify I am not actually asleep.

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
In all seriousness, if they make Hue the head coach, it could further alienate the fan base.  Not that I think Mike Brown cares, but it would.

I'm a Bengals fan, and I might be one of the few who think Hue got a raw deal in Oakland, and maybe a raw(er?) deal in Cleveland, but they need a whole new approach and I don't think they get that with Hue.

maybe a raw(er?) deal in Cleveland,
Ya...we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Hue dug himself a grave in CLE and proved that he couldn't coach his way out of a wet paperbag.  You can check the other multitude of CLE threads in here to see just how much of a "raw deal" he got in CLE.  But have fun with him as your new HC.  Can't wait to watch the #HueDysfunctionTour continue in the Queen City!

Hue Dey!!!

If they hire Hue, and you buy a ticket, or any Bengals gear, shame on you.    Let the team get run out of town.    Stop supporting that family 

Loser HC brings in buddy, who is out of a job because he's a loser and got fired. Loser HC gets fired but recommends loser buddy for the job. Loser organization considers losers buddy to be the next loser HC. Losing ensues. 

Ya...we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Hue dug himself a grave in CLE and proved that he couldn't coach his way out of a wet paperbag.  You can check the other multitude of CLE threads in here to see just how much of a "raw deal" he got in CLE.  But have fun with him as your new HC.  Can't wait to watch the #HueDysfunctionTour continue in the Queen City!
If we are disagreeing that he got a raw deal, then you are probably right.  I'm not saying he should be head coach in Cincinnati, or anywhere, just that I think he didn't get a lot of support in his first two opportunities.  The Raiders fired him after one season, an 8-8 season, and then went 4-12 the next two years.

The Browns were a dumpster fire from the time he showed up.  He probably didn't make it better, but I don't know the details of what he was dealing with there, so that is why I said he MAYBE got a worse deal.  He did himself no favors, and I don't want him as coach of the Bengals. I think it would send the wrong message.  Vance Joseph has also been linked, another mistake to even consider in my opinion.  But I don't run the Bengals, and I never will.  I just suffer the decisions.  I won't spend a dime on the team in any way until Marvin and Hue are both gone.  I've been saying that since he was hired on as special assistant.

I watch the Redzone channel.  I don't even watch the Bengals games, but I do hope they win.  I just didn't expect them to with Marvin and I sure don't think they would with Hue.  

I'm also old enough to remember the Dave Shula and **** LeBeau head coaching years, so I'm a little worried to see something like that again.  Bruce Coslet?  OH, crap!  Its happeneing in the NFL all the time.  One year and fired?  Talk about a hair trigger.  

I don't know who the right guy is, but I know the Bengals failures over the years have had two things in common: preparation and in-game adjustments.  both of which I put right on the head coach.  I want someone who has proven to be effective in those two areas, and I think the talent on the team will take them to higher successes.

They'll interview all the staff. 

But as stubborn as Mike Brown may be he also is aware people are gonna vote with their wallets and Hue will not be an acceptable choice - it's notable that no role for Marvin in the front office was part of the annoucement.

Again you can crack wise and I'll sure as hell change the thread title if disaster occurs but I don't think it's going to fall that way.

Remember that interviewing Hue also will serve to satisfy league requirements.

They anticipate the search taking "a few weeks" - which wouldn't be needed if they were going to just hire Hue.  I think the "few weeks" comes from the fact that they plan to actively pursue coaches on playoff staffs.  Whether Mike Brown is able to entice them will be quite another question.

-QG

Posts like this have me rooting for us snagging Williams and Kitchens*

-QG

* - yes I want to Tez cut before he gets anywhere near playing for a guy with the reputation of Williams.  Frankly I'd prefer he go either way at this point.

If we are disagreeing that he got a raw deal, then you are probably right.  I'm not saying he should be head coach in Cincinnati, or anywhere, just that I think he didn't get a lot of support in his first two opportunities.  The Raiders fired him after one season, an 8-8 season, and then went 4-12 the next two years.

The Browns were a dumpster fire from the time he showed up.  He probably didn't make it better, but I don't know the details of what he was dealing with there, so that is why I said he MAYBE got a worse deal.  He did himself no favors, and I don't want him as coach of the Bengals. I think it would send the wrong message.  Vance Joseph has also been linked, another mistake to even consider in my opinion.  But I don't run the Bengals, and I never will.  I just suffer the decisions.  I won't spend a dime on the team in any way until Marvin and Hue are both gone.  I've been saying that since he was hired on as special assistant.

I watch the Redzone channel.  I don't even watch the Bengals games, but I do hope they win.  I just didn't expect them to with Marvin and I sure don't think they would with Hue.  

I'm also old enough to remember the Dave Shula and **** LeBeau head coaching years, so I'm a little worried to see something like that again.  Bruce Coslet?  OH, crap!  Its happeneing in the NFL all the time.  One year and fired?  Talk about a hair trigger.  

I don't know who the right guy is, but I know the Bengals failures over the years have had two things in common: preparation and in-game adjustments.  both of which I put right on the head coach.  I want someone who has proven to be effective in those two areas, and I think the talent on the team will take them to higher successes.
The Shula era kept me (and many) in the keep-Marvin camp way longer than otherwise would have been the case.   But at this point we gotta roll the dice with the old man making a decision.

I do hope Mike Brown doesn't get someone as stubborn as him this time around - Marvin may be the only person more stubborn than Mike Brown.

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
Posts like this have me rooting for us snagging Williams and Kitchens*

-QG

* - yes I want to Tez cut before he gets anywhere near playing for a guy with the reputation of Williams.  Frankly I'd prefer he go either way at this point.
Tez may have to hang it up anyway due to injuries.  They need to draft an LB. 

I don’t think Hue gets this job.  I heard empty seats were noticed by Mike Brown.  Hopefully, he is going to go outside for his hire.  The team was wrecked by injuries more than any other team this year.  

Where were all these Browns trolls the last ten years?

no way Hue gets that job.NO WAY! there are dozens of coaches out there who can take the leap.

but it would be funny for him to get the job and hire Marv Lewis as his DC..LOL

Hue Jackson?....isn’t Jeff Fisher available?
Fisher AND Hue as Co-HCs. Cutting edge. Fisher runs the D, Hue runs the O, Bengals pick #1 for the next 5 years. This franchise is a bigger joke than the one I just posted.

Lions, Bengals, Redskins are the 3 worst run organizations right now.

This from one of the beat guys for the Bengals. Or was until he lived to CLE. Still runs the Bengals podcast, so he's still in the know with the team.

James Rapien: I've been told they're serious about Hue....
Rapien is a good follow though I fear the Clevelanders trollin' for a Hue hire might have taken him hostage :(

Again - title will change if disaster happens.  I'll go much more with Dave Lapham as a source for reading tea-leaves with the front office though.  Lapham has basically spoiled the last 100 Bengals first round pick plans right before the draft - often to fans dismay such as last year when Ragnow went to Detroit one pick ahead of us. 

Bienemy would seem the most likely to me - and I'm not sure he's an ideal choice given that he doesn't call the plays even in KC.  That said he has history with the team (which fits the Mike Brown comfort criteria) and is a fresh face otherwise (which I am sure the angle that Troy and Katie will be pushing).

Noticed Bienemy's batting order has Bengals visit 4th  - if I were to wager in the legal online sports betting markets he'd be the guy I'd put my $20 on.

-QG

Bienemy

McDaniels

Taylor

Literally anyone else from the outside

———disaster———

Simmons

Lazor

Ask Marvin to come back

Vance/Hue

Bienemy

McDaniels

Taylor

Literally anyone else from the outside

———disaster———

Simmons

Lazor

Ask Marvin to come back

Vance/Hue
Sorry I am afraid I have to disagree Bengal Brother.

Vance is definitely ahead of Hue.

I do agree that Tyrod Taylor would be better than any in house option.

-QG

Seeing how Haslam will keep paying Hue for another year, I can see Mike Brown latching on to him in some capacity - if only b/c the money won't be coming out of Brown's pockets.

If Hue doesn't get the HC spot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as OC, especially if Vance gets the job.  And vice versa with Vance being DC if Hue gets the job.  

Mike Brown is loyal if anything.  I can see him bringing in the people he knows vs making a daring hire.  Bienemy has a chance because he played in Cincy previously.  But I don't see a splashy hire like McDaniels or Taylor.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

And yes, a lot of Browns fans in Cincy are trolling the local news outlets for Hue.   :lmao:

Sorry I am afraid I have to disagree Bengal Brother.

Vance is definitely ahead of Hue.

I do agree that Tyrod Taylor would be better than any in house option.

-QG
Vance was EXTREMELY conservative as a HC in Denver.  We’re talking like Jeff Fisher levels of conservative. It’s pretty much the opposite of the forward thinking, aggressive life they should be looking for. The only thing I’ll say for Vance is if someone else gets the job, I do think he can be a good assistant. Hue I wouldn’t even want on the staff doing laundry. 

Vance was EXTREMELY conservative as a HC in Denver.  We’re talking like Jeff Fisher levels of conservative. It’s pretty much the opposite of the forward thinking, aggressive life they should be looking for. The only thing I’ll say for Vance is if someone else gets the job, I do think he can be a good assistant. Hue I wouldn’t even want on the staff doing laundry. 
(Oh I don't want Vance - I just want Hue even less :lmao: )

And apparently they will look at coaches who are involved in this weekend's games.  Which is encouraging.

-QG

Bengals Plan To Hire Not Hue Jackson....I mean Zac Taylor

Let's Celebrate With This VIdeo That Came Out When Our Coach In Waiting Was 3 Years Old

I think he'll do good as long he avoids overconsumption of cherries and iced milk.

Was hoping for Bienemy but stoked that it is an outside hire.

-QG
I think the off field baggage from Bienemy from years ago had an impact on this decision.  The fact that Mike Brown did a 180 from what we have come to expect is shocking and refreshing. 

I like the hire but I would feel better if they brought in reputable DC with head coaching experience to help Taylor.  A Jack Del Rio type would be a good addition. 

Dodging the Hue bullet was a win by itself.  

I think the off field baggage from Bienemy from years ago had an impact on this decision.  The fact that Mike Brown did a 180 from what we have come to expect is shocking and refreshing. 

I like the hire but I would feel better if they brought in reputable DC with head coaching experience to help Taylor.  A Jack Del Rio type would be a good addition. 

Dodging the Hue bullet was a win by itself.  
Well we don't know who the DC is yet so we'll see.

This was a Katie and Troy hire.  I really do think he's turned over the reigns.

-QG

Well we don't know who the DC is yet so we'll see.

This was a Katie and Troy hire.  I really do think he's turned over the reigns.

-QG
Sorry. I should have said bring instead of brought.  I do think (hope) they will bring in someone with HC experience at coordinator.  Gregg Williams would add some excitement to the AFCN.  

I’ll be rooting for the Saints this week so Taylor can start working full time on the transition.  Mike Sherman is his father-in-law. That might help with some assistant coach contacts and hires.  

Good for you Bengals fans dodging the hue bullet.

I'm shocked Mike Brown didn't go retread and I think it's a good hire.

The game is always better for me when the division has multiple teams that have a chance to win.

So Pollack is out as OL coach which I gather means Zac has someone in mind and they were able to get something done.

He was okay - maybe not as good as I had hoped. 

He did coach Bobby Hart up from catastrophic to merely terrible.

Hopefully it means that they'll give a chance to Westerman finally.  The Alex Redmond show got old fast.

Maybe it means Callahan is on the way.

-QG

So Pollack is out as OL coach which I gather means Zac has someone in mind and they were able to get something done.

He was okay - maybe not as good as I had hoped. 

He did coach Bobby Hart up from catastrophic to merely terrible.

Hopefully it means that they'll give a chance to Westerman finally.  The Alex Redmond show got old fast.

Maybe it means Callahan is on the way.

-QG
I think Callahan will be a name on the staff.  I have also seen rumors of John Pagano being plucked off Texans staff for DC. 

Bummer they got rid of their oline coach, they ran blocked well even though they became one dimensional based on injuries at the end of season.

I’ll be rooting for the Saints this week so Taylor can start working full time on the transition.  Mike Sherman is his father-in-law. That might help with some assistant coach contacts and hires.  
Mike Sherman is perhaps the single most inept football coach this side of Joe Walton and Ray Handley. I mean, he was a failure in the NFL, then went to Canada to fail there as well, and now you want him to give advice on coaches for Taylor? lol. If Taylor is as football savvy as they say, he's smart enough to know to NOT listen to anything his father-in-law says other than 

'pass the salt' at the family Thanksgiving dinner..sheesh..the damage this guy has done is staggering, just leave it alone..

Mike Sherman is perhaps the single most inept football coach this side of Joe Walton and Ray Handley. I mean, he was a failure in the NFL, then went to Canada to fail there as well, and now you want him to give advice on coaches for Taylor? lol. If Taylor is as football savvy as they say, he's smart enough to know to NOT listen to anything his father-in-law says other than 

'pass the salt' at the family Thanksgiving dinner..sheesh..the damage this guy has done is staggering, just leave it alone..
We’ve suffered through 16 years of stupid penalties, wasted timeouts, no halftime adjustments, and terrible replay challenges.  Mike Sherman passing his son in law a phone number is no sweat. 

This team has had enough talent over the 16 years to have won at least one Lombardi trophy.   Zero playoff wins?  Terrible.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Lions hired Bevell unfortunately.

Pollack actually decided to leave - who knows if it was a matter of the change in scheme, personalities, whatever.

Feels like waiting for Chirstmas for all this to sort out.  Though if Whit gets a ring before we have our staff finalized I'm good.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread