What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (4 Viewers)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won.

Wherever they play they are our Raiders, and The Autumn Wind will always apply.

Are the Raiders an NFL team or a comedy sketch? Mike Mayock is a hilarious GM hire to go along with their comedy of errors head coach.  Mayock has never held any position within a front office. 

He's very likely going to crash and burn, badly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Raiders an NFL team or a comedy sketch? Mike Mayock is a hilarious GM hire to go along with their comedy of errors head coach.  Mayock has never held any position within a front office.  
The same was said of John Lynch a couple of years ago.  I don't think you can say he's a resounding success yet but he certainly hasn't been a disaster. 

The same was said of John Lynch a couple of years ago.  I don't think you can say he's a resounding success yet but he certainly hasn't been a disaster. 
True, but at least Lynch played in the modern NFL for 15 years. Mayock has no credentials other than TV talking head. 

I dont know if his step back in evaluating talent lately was network/schedule driven or laziness, but I think he has an eye for talent. But contracts, free agents, trading, roster management, etc. He doesnt have any qualifications for that and neither does the coach. Who is responsible for the vision of the team, but he will certainly pass that buck when it goes awry.

I dont know if his step back in evaluating talent lately was network/schedule driven or laziness, but I think he has an eye for talent. But contracts, free agents, trading, roster management, etc. He doesnt have any qualifications for that and neither does the coach. Who is responsible for the vision of the team, but he will certainly pass that buck when it goes awry.
Exactly this.  Mayock was pretty good at scouting, but he should be getting a job in the scouting department for at least a year first.  GMs usually do a ton more than evaluate draft picks. 

I bet he screws up tendering RFAs so bad that Elway looks brilliant in comparison. 

With Gruden's track record, he needs all the help he can get. I gotta think Mayock can at least help him evaluate talent and give him some new perspective on college plsyers.

I like Mayock as the Raiders GM. I believe that the Raiders are keeping their current  cap management team. 

I like Mayock as the Raiders GM. I believe that the Raiders are keeping their current  cap management team. 
Hopefully they do, that's where Mayock's learning curve will probably be steepest.  They should have just kept Reggie, that was his only strong suit, unless he wasn't satisfied with a reduced/limited role which I would understand too.  I like Mayock as the talent evaluator.  I hope he has someone to help him navigate the nuances of the draft.  Can you trade down without losing your guy?  How far?  Can you get good value trading out?  Can you move up economically?  Those will all turn a solid draft into a great one if he hits those points.  #1 rule is be right, and I think Mayock will hold his own with that.  Don't get cute and lose the right guy and don't sell the farm going to get him if you don't have to.

Looking for bright spots, I got excited about how Carr and Gruden meshed second half of the season. Carr had a rocky start and a rocky ending but in between I thought there was a lot of progress. Carr was on his a$$ 50 times, dealt with a revolving door on the line and his receivers changed seemingly week to week. Still established career highs in yards and completion percentage and reduced the number of his interceptions.

I had my doubts as soon as Gruden was hired whether Carr could adapt to his style of coaching. Then in the middle of the year I'm thinking, "Good grief, not only does their defense suck but they may need a quarterback too." I've scratched the latter off that list.

I think the Carr-Gruden relationship is one of the team's few strengths going forward. Solidify the line and increase the talent of the receiving corps and I'm excited about what Carr can do in the years ahead.

The Carr ain't broke IMO.

Looking for bright spots, I got excited about how Carr and Gruden meshed second half of the season. Carr had a rocky start and a rocky ending but in between I thought there was a lot of progress. Carr was on his a$$ 50 times, dealt with a revolving door on the line and his receivers changed seemingly week to week. Still established career highs in yards and completion percentage and reduced the number of his interceptions.

I had my doubts as soon as Gruden was hired whether Carr could adapt to his style of coaching. Then in the middle of the year I'm thinking, "Good grief, not only does their defense suck but they may need a quarterback too." I've scratched the latter off that list.

I think the Carr-Gruden relationship is one of the team's few strengths going forward. Solidify the line and increase the talent of the receiving corps and I'm excited about what Carr can do in the years ahead.

The Carr ain't broke IMO.
Sort of my thoughts as well.   Carr proved that he should remain the Raider QB.   Feels like most teams have one or two better RBs ofn their rosters.   I know that isn't exactly correct but it feels that way.   And WR is just awful.  Carr needs an Oline and WRs immediately.   RBs are relatively easy to find.   Mayock better nail the draft.   

Any chance Gruden trades Carr and uses his draft capital to either trade up or just snag Haskins? Have to think a Denver/NYG/Jags would pay a solid price for Carr. I think it would be crazy to deal Carr but who knows what Gruden will do. 

Kraft... said:
Any chance Gruden trades Carr and uses his draft capital to either trade up or just snag Haskins? Have to think a Denver/NYG/Jags would pay a solid price for Carr. I think it would be crazy to deal Carr but who knows what Gruden will do. 
Definitely some teams out there that would probably pay a nice price for Carr. Seems like a no brainer to trade him. Can't have elite talent like Peterman just sitting on the bench.

Derwin James just made first team ALL PRO as a rookie. Instead of taking James (twice), Grudone took a 6'9" tackle with bad college tape and worse knees and smoke stack Marty Bryant. His justification? ... The Raiders took Obi won Melikowbie the year before. Side note: Gru cut Obi a couple months later.

Good times.

Derwin James just made first team ALL PRO as a rookie. Instead of taking James (twice), Grudone took a 6'9" tackle with bad college tape and worse knees and smoke stack Marty Bryant. His justification? ... The Raiders took Obi won Melikowbie the year before. Side note: Gru cut Obi a couple months later.

Good times.
It was a good time watching Amari have a solid game last night too.  No problems with hands at 7 of 9 for over 100.  More importantly for Dallas, just the threat of a good WR opens things up for Zeke and that ground game. 

I will never understand the lack of targets in Oakland for Amari but it is nice though to see him succeed.  It is not his fault that the Raiders are a dysfunctional organization. 

Interesting hire for sure, but I do agree Maycock at least brings in an eye for talent in prospecting. Also interesting that, like Gruden, Maycock has had inside access to other teams, the way they think/approach a draft, how they handle situations on draft day, etc.

While it is true that our front office looks more like a broadcast booth now as we stock it with TV personalities, I am hoping that this element of having some inside knowledge built up over the years of other teams and their approach (which Gruden also has, supposedly, from his own broadcast career) will help.

Also seems that they are going to have staff on hand and potentially to hire that will spread GM work around -- as mentioned by @Hankmoody, it's going to be a need as Maycock (and arguably Gruden) don't have all GM skillsets. And makes me think we should have kept Reggie around to pitch in on cap management and contract structuring, but can see why Reggie would want to not pare his role down as opposed to potentially having a full GM role elsewhere.

So we have pick #24 locked in from the Bears, we'll see how the pick from Dallas fares after this weekend (but I expect them to fall hard against the Rams).

Here's hoping to a finally and continually upward trajection for this team from here on. We need it. Badly.

Good times.
Don't get me started on this, Fitz.  

I was all on the Derwin James and Roquan Smith bandwagons before the draft.   James was sitting in our lap (unbelievably), and we take Kolton Miller who hasn't impressed me at all.   And then an arch-rival takes him with the next pick.   So the next Kam Chancellor will be in LA for the next ten years.  

So our first round draft picks are locked:

No. 4 

No. 24 (from Chicago) 

No. 27 (from Dallas)

No. 35 

Solid, though I all know we wish those two trade picks were way higher. I am far from being knowledgeable about college talent, but I do hear that this year's class isn't particularly deep at several positions. Would love to hear how other Raider faithful see the overall talent and best prospects. 

With our first pick, we simply need an alpha pass rusher. Bosa or Oliver, with only Oliver likely to be there for us unless we trade up -- not a huge fan of trading up but Bosa may seem worth it -- nothing is guaranteed, but Bosa is as close to a solid blue-chip Mack replacement as they come. But would not mind if we trade down (maybe to make a play for Clelin Ferrell?)  to solidify more picks later as we have tons of needs.

At 24, I can see us making a play for one of the top two rated WRs in the draft -- AJ Brown or DK Metcalf may by solid targets if around for #24. N'Keel Harry also a solid target.

Plenty of glaring needs, including corner and safety, LB, and O-line - so will be interesting to see how we approach. But if we get blue chippers at edge/pass-rush tackle and WR with the first two picks I think we'd be off to a great start.

If Ed Oliver is there we need to take him.  After that it's probably Clelin Ferrell.  Oliver is dominant on the interior.  I know we just drafted a couple DT and may even like them but Oliver is a special talent and you don't pass on special.  Interior DL is stacked in this draft but edge gets thin quick.  Bosa, Ferrell, then what?  Not sure about Rashan Gary, the Xichigan guys all seem to believe he's overrated/lazy.  They didn't have the same to say about Hurst.

I don't know enough about Ferrell, but if he's that good just take him at 4.  If we can trade down to a QB team and get him later that would be even better but probably no need to take the risk.

Man how bad is that Mack trade now?  We traded him for 24 and have to roll the dice on a rookie at 4.  We could have traded Carr, kept Mack, and gotten Haskins on a rookie deal.

After all the roster purging this year, there's holes everywhere. The question is how do Gruden, Davis and Mayock want to rebuild this team? Two things Gruden harped on during the season were the lack of pass rush (duh!) and offensive line play and depth. My early guess is they go BPA with the 4th pick (probably a pass rusher) and go offensive line with one of the later 1st round picks and hopefully a "Derwin James " type that they desperately need patrolling the secondary with the other 1st round pick. But at this point who knows... Maybe they trade a 1st round pick for Antonio Brown, which wouldn't be a horrible thing.

My early guess is they go BPA with the 4th pick (probably a pass rusher) and go offensive line with one of the later 1st round picks and hopefully a "Derwin James " type that they desperately need patrolling the secondary with the other 1st round pick. 
Sad thing was, James was the guy I WANTED us to take at #15 last year -- he was right there for us, was a position of need. We went Miller instead.

Had Carr, Mack, Cooper, and could have had James.

Could have been rocking 4 Pro Bowlers this year. Now only one of the four is on our team.

If Ed Oliver is there we need to take him.  After that it's probably Clelin Ferrell.  Oliver is dominant on the interior.  I know we just drafted a couple DT and may even like them but Oliver is a special talent and you don't pass on special.  Interior DL is stacked in this draft but edge gets thin quick.  Bosa, Ferrell, then what?  Not sure about Rashan Gary, the Xichigan guys all seem to believe he's overrated/lazy.  They didn't have the same to say about Hurst.

I don't know enough about Ferrell, but if he's that good just take him at 4.  If we can trade down to a QB team and get him later that would be even better but probably no need to take the risk.

Man how bad is that Mack trade now?  We traded him for 24 and have to roll the dice on a rookie at 4.  We could have traded Carr, kept Mack, and gotten Haskins on a rookie deal.
 I think these edge rushers get drafted in the 1st round with Oshane Ximines possibly sneaking in with a good combine and pro day.

1. Nick Bosa

2. Josh Allen

3. Clelin Farrell

4. Brian Burns

5. Jachai Polite

6. Montez Sweat

At DT I would go Quinnen Williams then Ed Oliver. Quinnen is just a special player.

I can definitely get behind Allen.  He's dominant.  I have heard a lot of hype about Quinnen but didn't see much of him personally.

What is the general feeling about Chris Warren III ?

The Raiders shelved him very early last year but he looked good in preseason action.

Looks like a 2 down thumper but seems to fit the Gruden persona and could be part of a lightning/thunder ground attack.

Practically free at this juncture if there is a path to relevance.

What say Raider nation ?

What is the general feeling about Chris Warren III ?

The Raiders shelved him very early last year but he looked good in preseason action.

Looks like a 2 down thumper but seems to fit the Gruden persona and could be part of a lightning/thunder ground attack.

Practically free at this juncture if there is a path to relevance.

What say Raider nation ?
Love what I saw in Warren and I think he has a good shot, based on what I saw in preseason of his overall skillset, that he could be our main guy next year and beyond.

Important to note that he wasn't shelved - he injured his knee in preseason and was placed on IR. With Lynch and Doug Martin sitting the entire preseason, the vast majority of carries went to Warren in the preseason, and he looked electric. He is a load at 6'2 247 and looked at ease barreling through the line on in-between-tackles plays and bringing a little violence to his runs, often dragging tacklers with him and constantly falling forward a la BeastMode.

Also had quick feet and solid vision when bouncing to the outside. He has decent hands and I think he could truly develop into a 3-down back. The one concern is his durability, as injury has followed him through his college career as well.

I think we could credibly let both Lynch and Martin go and use Warren/Richard/Washington and look to draft another young developmental back for depth.

At four my preference in is:

1 Nick Bosa - ain't gonna be there

2 Josh Allen - could have come out last year but got stronger and was better than the year before.

3 Quinnen Williams - great against the run and can push the pocket.  was alabama's best player in the college playoff.

4 Ed Oliver - was expected to be in 1 overall conversation coming into the year.  similar to Quinnen and may be as good or better, but people seem to have soured on him a little in part because he sat games.

ICON211 said:

2 Josh Allen - could have come out last year but got stronger and was better than the year before.

3 Quinnen Williams - great against the run and can push the pocket.  was alabama's best player in the college playoff.

4 Ed Oliver - was expected to be in 1 overall conversation coming into the year.  similar to Quinnen and may be as good or better, but people seem to have soured on him a little in part because he sat games.
Nice list. I also wouldn't mind Montez sweat or Clelin Ferrell  there as well. I think in the end Montez goes Top 10. The Raiders need a pass rusher and after that another pass rusher.

ICON211 said:

Great list, ICON.   Agree for the most part.    

Bosa and Allen should be the first two picks, so they won't be there for us unless we move up.   I love Quinnen Williams, and that's the guy that I hope we get.  Williams is a disruptive force up the middle with a non-stop motor.    I would also be okay with trading down and taking either Oliver, CB Greedy Williams or Jachai Polite.    One of the other 1st round picks has to be a WR, possibly A.J. Brown from Ole Miss. 

True, but at least Lynch played in the modern NFL for 15 years. Mayock has no credentials other than TV talking head. 
Correction: Mayock played for the Jets in 1982-83. That said, it isn't relevant. If playing experience was relevant to front office success then how do you explain Billichick's success? I could sight many more examples, but too lazy to do so, much like your analysis of Mayock. 

Correction: Mayock played for the Jets in 1982-83. That said, it isn't relevant. If playing experience was relevant to front office success then how do you explain Billichick's success? I could sight many more examples, but too lazy to do so, much like your analysis of Mayock. 
That's one hell of a false equivalence. 

First, I said Modern NFL.  1982 on a practice squad is not that.  The context was actually being in an organization so you can experience how it runs from the inside. 

Second, Belichick had a long career in the NFL before becoming a head coach and GM.  He was a Parcels assistant for a long time. 

If you can't see how actually having some experience working in the type of organization you will now be fully in charge of running football operations for might be helpful, then I don't know what to say other than good luck with those rose colored glasses. 

That's one hell of a false equivalence. 

First, I said Modern NFL.  1982 on a practice squad is not that.  The context was actually being in an organization so you can experience how it runs from the inside. 

Second, Belichick had a long career in the NFL before becoming a head coach and GM.  He was a Parcels assistant for a long time. 
Hahaha. You mad bro?  No, no you didn’t say anthing about “modern nfl,” at least not in the post I was responding to:

Therefore, I wasn’t making any sort of equilencey argument. I do not care whether Mayock succeeds or fails, just pointing out the error in your thinking

32 Counter Pass said:
Hahaha. You mad bro?  No, no you didn’t say anthing about “modern nfl,” at least not in the post I was responding to:

Therefore, I wasn’t making any sort of equilencey argument. I do not care whether Mayock succeeds or fails, just pointing out the error in your thinking
Maybe read what quoted again? 

The older I get the more I despise prima donna players like Antonio Brown. That's why I had such high hopes for Amari Cooper. (Paul Warfield, please come out of retirement.)

BUT...would getting Brown for a 1 make the Mack trade a little more palatable? Is a 1 even plausible or would the Steelers want more? Does he cost too much for the Raiders' liking? Is his age a detriment considering Gruden has a 10-year pl...er, make that nine-year plan?

I know he'd fill a huge hole.

Raider fans who know more than me (that's probably all of you), please weigh in.

Users who are viewing this thread