Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hankmoody

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread

Y’all see AB’s feet?   Nasty. And wtf do you do with that, other than rest?

On 8/3/2019 at 5:30 PM, DA RAIDERS said:

Y’all see AB’s feet?   Nasty. And wtf do you do with that, other than rest?

Hee hee. I would not want to be his podiatrist...

RIP Cliff Branch, 71.

A quality player who made his presence felt, often in big games. Three rings including 11 catches and 3 TDs in his last two Super Bowls.

One of Al Davis' best draft picks...

• Like 2

looking forward to attending training camp on Wednesday :thumbup:

• Like 1

First official depth chart released:

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/05/raiders-release-first-depth-chart-of-2019-season/

Nothing too shocking.

Renfrow is listed as WR 3 with Brown and Williams; Jacobs ahead of Martin.

Oline is as expected -- L to R: Miller, Incognito, Hudson, Jackson, Brown.

On DE, Ferrell is listed over Key, with Mauro locked in on the other side. Maxx Crosby, who has been talked about at camp a lot, is listed behind Benson Mayowa on that side of the line.

For DT, Jelly and Hankins are listed before Hall. Vanderdoes is listed last which is a sharp decline in expectations -- seems expendable at this point. 

Whitehead, Burfict, and Marshall are in our Sam, Mike, and Will LB slots respectively.

Worley and Conley are the starting CBs with Joyner and Abram listed jointly as FS (imagine Abram starts and Joyner takes slot safety position when needed?) and Joseph as S.

Other insights:

• DeAndre Washington looks squarely on the bubble, as expected.
  • We might see a good paring down of WRs, depending on who we may keep for ST
  • Hurst is 2nd team, but imagine this whole line will be rotating a lot situationally and otherwise

Frostbite......well that's different.  No idea what time on the shelf that requires.

Feostbite..of course. This is why we can't have nice things.

Gabe Jackson out about 8 weeks......not good.  We will be missing both starting guards to start the season.

• Sad 1

I hope AB goes through with his threats to retire, he needs to return whatever money he owes to us and then we hold his rights for x amount of years and can keep him out of the league if he ever wants to return for that x amount of time.

What a lunatic

Big Ben and company must be getting a big chuckle out of this and I don't even blame Gruden or Mayock for this. Best WR in the league and they got him but who believed he was actually THIS insane? I guess better due diligence could have been done. sigh, smh, fml...

8 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

Best WR in the league and they got him but who believed he was actually THIS insane? I guess better due diligence could have been done. sigh, smh, fml...

Heck, they didn't even need to do "due" diligence. Just a modicum of diligence would have told them this guy is not good to have on a team, that he's out for three people only--he, him and himself.

I can't understand most of one of his most recent tweets (actually I can't understand most of his tweets)--"I love the game; I love the hustle; young-in got doe he can leave the league but if I leave will the fans still gone love me man? #paidinfull"--but I'd tell him, no, the fans won't love you when you're gone. Heck, they don't love you while you're here.

Set your sights a little lower, Antonio. Shoot for tolerated.

Buckle up, it's probably gonna be another loooooooong season...

From what I saw of our preseason tilt against the Rams:

Surprisingly we were the more disciplined team - Rams were beating themselves with penalties especially in the first half and mostly on their offense.

Ferrell and Key looked decent if not spectacular. D line as a unit were finding good push and penetration. Less than 200 yards allowed on offense, held them to 3.

Lee had a solid game in the middle, and good to see our secondary for the most part staying in sound coverage, and our safeties looking to hit.

Mullen looked surprisingly good

DeAndre Washington looked decent in the first half. James Butler did not - I have a tough time understanding why we let Warren go seeing that, but I’m clearly biased. Still, Butler looked lost out there. Didn’t see Mack Brown get a lot of looks but seemed middling/ineffectual when he was out on the field.

Our WRs were making some good plays. X had a highlight catch, but some good elevation and fight at the top by guys like Ryan Grant and Hatcher.

Our D looked solid (against 2s and 3s at least) - guys in position to clean up tackles, not many blown assignments, good conversion on the ball and some great drive stops in the first half.

Ingold looked decent with steady hands.

Peterman = speed

Looked like they were giving Pierson-El a shot at return duties. Looked like he should be cut until busted out a huge KR (called back on penalty).

Good stuff to build on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Surprisingly we were the more disciplined team - Rams were beating themselves with penalties especially in the first half and mostly on their offense.

I had the same thought as well.  

Glennon played well most of the first, but the two interceptions were bad.  The red zone pick was really bad.  I think McCarron would have been better than Glennon or Peterman.  Hopefully neither will see the field this year.

DeAndre Washington looked pretty good and helped his chances of making the team.

The wide receivers as a group were impressive.

D was very solid.

• Like 1

Wow, quiet in here this year. 

Another great showing by the team in preseason. Yes, it's preseason, totally meaningless and has no bearings on the regular season.

But great to see this team look sharp and hungry. Our 1s excoriated ARI's 1s, Carr making it look too easy with some solid runs by Jacobs.

Another impressive outing by Washington, we may have a hard decision to make there.

But not as hard as the WRs -- we'll need to cut back to 5-6, and while AB, Williams, and Renfrow are locks, everything else seems up in the air. Guys like Nelson and Grant seem valuable to hold and are making plays, but so are Gafford, Goss, Hatcher, and Pierson-El. Lasley is likely gone and can see us shedding Harris and Ateman. I didn't think Pierson-El looked good in game 1 but he looked better in game 2 and seems to be the primary ST returner. Lot of weight here, and really hard decisions.

Abram looks like he could be a stud out the gate, but a little wary about Ferrell -- he stayed at home well and tracked the ball, but not seeing him contribute to a pass rush, an element which still looks to be missing from our skill set. Great to see Key improving.

Also worried about our o-line, we are incredibly thin and losing Jackson and Incognito in the first few games -- especially that first stretch of two home games against divisional opponents. Not having Gabe in there until October sucks, and not sure who the reliable replacement there is -- can't be Denver Kirkland, but not sure who else we have as a pure RG.

3 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Wow, quiet in here this year. 

Another great showing by the team in preseason. Yes, it's preseason, totally meaningless and has no bearings on the regular season.

But great to see this team look sharp and hungry. Our 1s excoriated ARI's 1s, Carr making it look too easy with some solid runs by Jacobs.

Another impressive outing by Washington, we may have a hard decision to make there.

But not as hard as the WRs -- we'll need to cut back to 5-6, and while AB, Williams, and Renfrow are locks, everything else seems up in the air. Guys like Nelson and Grant seem valuable to hold and are making plays, but so are Gafford, Goss, Hatcher, and Pierson-El. Lasley is likely gone and can see us shedding Harris and Ateman. I didn't think Pierson-El looked good in game 1 but he looked better in game 2 and seems to be the primary ST returner. Lot of weight here, and really hard decisions.

Abram looks like he could be a stud out the gate, but a little wary about Ferrell -- he stayed at home well and tracked the ball, but not seeing him contribute to a pass rush, an element which still looks to be missing from our skill set. Great to see Key improving.

Also worried about our o-line, we are incredibly thin and losing Jackson and Incognito in the first few games -- especially that first stretch of two home games against divisional opponents. Not having Gabe in there until October sucks, and not sure who the reliable replacement there is -- can't be Denver Kirkland, but not sure who else we have as a pure RG.

It's preseason and our team is going to finish third at best in the AFC W.   Sorry, it's tough to get excited.   

I still get irritated when there is talk about the lack of pass rush.  We traded away the pass rush!   Ferrell was a desperate move that is going to look worse as the season progresses.   

9 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

It's preseason and our team is going to finish third at best in the AFC W.   Sorry, it's tough to get excited.   

I still get irritated when there is talk about the lack of pass rush.  We traded away the pass rush!   Ferrell was a desperate move that is going to look worse as the season progresses.   

Jeez.  Do you plan to even watch any games this year?  There is always hope to begin every year and this year in particular with so many new players.  There are always teams that surprise and ones that disappoint due to either poor play or injuries or both.  Every year there are 3-4 teams in the playoffs that weren't there the year before.

Khalil Mack is gone and he isn't coming back and it's well past time to move on and stop talking about it.  And by saying they traded away the pass rush you are referring to one player which shows they had almost no defensive talent outside of Mack.  Maybe Ferrell was picked higher than people thought, but if he plays well no one will care.  We shall see what kind of player he turns out to be. 

• Like 1

Raiders will be better than people think. maybe 7-9 ? certainly not 4-12 or 3-13. they'll be somewhat competitive.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

C'mon! They've had one winning season the past 17 years and haven't won a Super Bowl in almost 40 years, they literally have been one of the most poorly run franchises in recent history and now you're fed up? You might as well ride it out now. I get it, I have Mack and Cooper jerseys that are obsolete now. Time to move on, they didn't want to pay the man $140 million. Speaking of Mack, he didn't necessarily set the league on fire his rookie season either. He had 5 sacks, shoot, Hurst had 4 last year, give the Ferrell kid some time. Why don't we talk about Abram? That guy looks like a player and brings an attitude that defense hasn't had in decades. He could end up being the best pick of the three first rounders. 

Cheer up man! I know things look bleak, but we only see what we want to see. They are in a tough division and year in, year out have one of the toughest schedules but they do look better. Like Gruden/Mayock or not, we're stuck with them for a long time. I personally am tired of being miserable and disappointed by the time November rolls around. Two things I can count on, Thanksgiving is around the corner and the Raiders are out of the playoffs. So instead of being bitter, I'm tempering my expectations. Only one team is 100% satisfied at the end of the season. I've resigned myself to the fact that it wont be the Raiders this season. So I'm rooting for Carr, Jacob's, AB, Ferrell and the rest of them to prove they are not laughing stocks anymore. Give Mahomes and Rivers headaches at least, instead of getting carved up by them. Show everyone they will be a force to be reckoned with someday sooner rather than later.

Edited by Bruno2
  • Like 1

I'm over the Mack trade, at least until they play Chicago this year. That could be painful. The one that still stings is passing on Derwin James last year when it seemed like such a slam dunk. Imagine him and now Abram together? ugh...

Anyways, going in with low expectations as normal but there is always a glimmer of hope at the beginning of each season. I just hope AB keeps it together and we don't hear all this drama coming out of the locker room. Really can't stand that diva s**t and can be a major turnoff when trying to root for your team.

Posted (edited)

Really solid preseason, like the way the team is trending. Lots to be excited about in terms of play, and we won or were in a position to win each of our preseason games, which was great to see (albeit meaningless).

Cuts to get to 53 men are starting:

LB Brandon Marshall - maybe not too surprising given the knee issues he was having this past month, but too bad as I think he was talented and we needed some vet depth here. I am still not completely sold on Morrow as Marshall's slated replacement at Will, and while Cabinda has stepped up as our Mike behind Burfict, I still see him taking too many gambles on the field leading to missed tackles and wide open fields behind him. At the very least, shedding Marshall clears up $1MM in cap space. Definitely helps secure a guy like Hudson for long term.

TE Luke Willson (as a Canuck, this was a sad one, but definitely a bigger Waller fan thanks to Hard Knocks).

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

TE Luke Willson (as a Canuck, this was a sad one, but definitely a bigger Waller fan thanks to Hard Knocks).

I bet Gruden and Mayock held the only Canadian on the team responsible for the 80 yard field fiasco in Winnipeg.

Signed,
A Winnipeg Resident.

• Like 2

On August 17, 2019 at 8:27 AM, ICON211 said:

Jeez.  Do you plan to even watch any games this year?  There is always hope to begin every year and this year in particular with so many new players.  There are always teams that surprise and ones that disappoint due to either poor play or injuries or both.  Every year there are 3-4 teams in the playoffs that weren't there the year before.

Khalil Mack is gone and he isn't coming back and it's well past time to move on and stop talking about it.  And by saying they traded away the pass rush you are referring to one player which shows they had almost no defensive talent outside of Mack.  Maybe Ferrell was picked higher than people thought, but if he plays well no one will care.  We shall see what kind of player he turns out to be. 

New Raider fans are funny.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

New Raider fans are funny.  

I only wish I was new because it would mean I'm not so old.  Started rooting for the Raiders in 1985.  I think Gruden and Mayock have done a really good job putting the team together and there is reason for optimism.  There is a lot more talent here than any time recently, certainly more than at any time under Reggie.

6 hours ago, ICON211 said:

I only wish I was new because it would mean I'm not so old.  Started rooting for the Raiders in 1985.  I think Gruden and Mayock have done a really good job putting the team together and there is reason for optimism.  There is a lot more talent here than any time recently, certainly more than at any time under Reggie.

Check out the New Guy ;) 

l've been a fan since 77 (when I was 10. Yes, I’m old) so at least I got to enjoy and live through the glory years of the late 70s/early 80s. Sorry kid ;) 

:hot:

Can’t  stand  gruden. Dude is a clown. He’s gonna prove the world wrong about Peterman.  This team has way too many holes to keep 3 qbs. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, joey said:

Check out the New Guy ;) 

l've been a fan since 77 (when I was 10. Yes, I’m old) so at least I got to enjoy and live through the glory years of the late 70s/early 80s. Sorry kid ;) 

Same age. We had it good - almost annual Championship games. One of my earliest memories was Sea of Hands game. I was Raider fan because Dad was. When it was ruled Clarence Davis caught ball I asked my Dad if I could go in hallway & spike my Nerf football,  Spiked the hell outta that green Nerf,

Those days are long gone, but I think that's why we pull so hard for Gruden - he has a true appreciation for Raider history.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Can’t  stand  gruden. Dude is a clown. He’s gonna prove the world wrong about Peterman.  This team has way too many holes to keep 3 qbs. 

Don't you know it's time for blind optimism!   

19 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

I think keeping all 3 QBs is a mistake too, but aside from Doss, not like we let some incredible talent walk.

From the LBs we let go, keeping just 4 (and none of them truly outstanding) we’re clearly going to be in nickel all year long with just 2 on the field. 

On one hand, we finally seem to be adjusting to the spread O. On the other hand, I don’t trust we have the right guys in the middle. I don’t think any of the guys we let go were the ones either so here is hoping Whitehead and Burfict find the fountain of youth.

Anthony Rush looked like a very legit 1-tech. Keeping two dog#### backup QBs over him seems Grusome. That's my new word for Chucky's head scratchers.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

23 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

4 QB's now, the Raiders got DeShone Kizer in waivers.

12 minutes ago, krsone21 said:

4 QB's now, the Raiders got DeShone Kizer in waivers.

Not a surprise pickup at all. Gruden is a total clown. Never saw a QB he didn't love. Kizer is flat out horrible and not NFL material.

When was the last time an NFL team had 4 QBs on the active roster? The Patriots in 2000? I know the Steelers did it when they had Kordell Stewart but he played multiple positions.

I think Gruden keeping 3 quarterbacks is smart.  Carr needs to produce this season or he is gone.  If Gruden believes that both backups have the potential to be the future quarterback of the Raiders, then keeping both is an easy decision.  They are still in rebuilding mode this season so they don't need to worry about maximizing every roster spot.  I'd roster 4 quarterbacks if I thought they all had potential.

Edited by Don Hutson

Just now, Don Hutson said:

I think Gruden keeping 3 quarterbacks is smart.  Carr needs to produce this season or he is gone.  If Gruden believes that both backups have the potential to be the future quarterback of the Raiders, then keeping both is an easy decision.  They are still in rebuilding mode this season.  I'd roster 4 quarterbacks if I thought they all had potential.

Neither of the two scrub QBs will ever be a viable NFL starter. Generally feel the same about Kizer, so then there were three, perhaps four if Carr still plays like a scared/scarred 🐁

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

Neither of the two scrub QBs will ever be a viable NFL starter. Generally feel the same about Kizer, so then there were three, perhaps four if Carr still plays like a scared/scarred 🐁

I just came in to say the same thing.  Carr is the only potential QB of the future on the roster.  Gruden is in way over his head.  

15 hours ago, LawFitz said:

Keelan Doss signs to Jags practice squad. Grusome

I liked Doss.   I thought he really had some potential.   

On 8/16/2019 at 10:24 PM, DocHolliday said:

Unfortunately Doc, I tend to agree. 

I haven't been impressed at all with Ferrell, and don't see anything that would lead me to believe that he has the making of an elite player.   Wasn't crazy about the pick at 1.04 (especially with Ed Oliver and Josh Allen available), but was willing to give Mayock the benefit of the doubt. 

Watched the Jags in pre-season, and Allen has been a monster.    Picked up the Jags D in my draft.   

On 8/31/2019 at 7:17 PM, Sarlakticacid said:

Anyone got a good raiders centric podcast they listen to?

Silver and Black Pride, or the Raiders Podcast Network are good ones.   

Let's not bury Ferrell based on rookie year preseason. He was and is a highly questionable selection at #4, but way too early to start casting actual judgment.

And BTW, pass rush isn't where he excelled in college. It was overall game including edge setting vs the run and leadership. Both of which he flashed in preseason. 

Key, Maxx, the interior 3-techs and Gunther's schemes need to generate pass rush. We'll see if they can. AZ game showed some life. Burfect, Joyner and Abram appear more likely to make greater immediate impact (at least on stat sheet) than Ferrell.

Jacobs being effective and having some 2nd-half leads would go a long way too for this D.

Like the Crockett signing, hate losing Doss.  Ryan Grant isn't special and you gotta keep the rook that flashes. 

1 hour ago, Joe Summer said:

Peterman to IR (but could return in 8 weeks).

Gruden’s gonna prove the world wrong and make something of this kid. :mellow:  gruesome. 

1 hour ago, Joe Summer said:

Peterman to IR (but could return in 8 weeks).

I bet Peterman isn't even injured.  They just want to stash him for the future without using a roster spot.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

I bet Peterman isn't even injured.  They just want to stash him for the future without using a roster spot.

Yeah, I was gonna say "what injury did he sustain?!?" Since we saw his preseason games AND practices on Hard Knocks, so I agree with this line of thinking. 

Lot a negativity in this thread for a new-look team that has yet to take the field.

I would have loved to keep Doss too, the kid flashed and was clearly talented. But he wasn't going to crack WR5 or higher given the veteran talent we have already, and with no contribution to ST, could see why we opted for a lesser pure receiving talent (IMHO) in Dwayne Harris than Doss. 

Gruden & Co are making these decisions on 4th+ stringers - these decisions definitely impact how we may successfully build for future, but let's not pretend these decisions are disastrous for the team we intend to field this year. About 40 players need to be cut to make the 53 man rosters, and PS is only 10 players deep. Hard choices need to be made. It's gonna happen that a guy we all *think* *might* be successful needs to be shelved in favor for guys that can help us win this season -- happens every year for every NFL team.

As to Peterman, yes I agree it seemed we IRd him to hold him, and Gruden has some kind of love for the guy that is a little unfounded IMHO -- he wasn't so clearly better than Glennon, and both of these guys aren't so great that it mattered if we kept one or two. We saw what happened when Carr went down in 2016 and we had no one who could really fill in credibly - disaster. 

I don't think it's worth keeping two backups as I don't have faith in either Glennon or Peterman to step up to, say, 80-90% of what Carr can do. Not sure Kizer is that guy either, but Gruden wants multiple options in case that happens. It makes sense if you are aiming for risk mitigation, but again, comes at a cost of trading off positional depth elsewhere.

We'll see how this all pans out -- our schedule is brutal so even if we are clicking on all cylinders, it's still an uphill battle. It's going to be a dogfight of a season regardless. But the ire being shown in Gruden/Mayock's moves for end of bench players seems misplaced -- in the face of a season where we could be light years ahead of where we have been over the last 15 years, these training camp moves are not going make or break the team's potential trajectory.

• Like 6