What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

Lot a negativity in this thread for a new-look team that has yet to take the field.

I would have loved to keep Doss too, the kid flashed and was clearly talented. But he wasn't going to crack WR5 or higher given the veteran talent we have already, and with no contribution to ST, could see why we opted for a lesser pure receiving talent (IMHO) in Dwayne Harris than Doss. 

Gruden & Co are making these decisions on 4th+ stringers - these decisions definitely impact how we may successfully build for future, but let's not pretend these decisions are disastrous for the team we intend to field this year. About 40 players need to be cut to make the 53 man rosters, and PS is only 10 players deep. Hard choices need to be made. It's gonna happen that a guy we all *think* *might* be successful needs to be shelved in favor for guys that can help us win this season -- happens every year for every NFL team.

As to Peterman, yes I agree it seemed we IRd him to hold him, and Gruden has some kind of love for the guy that is a little unfounded IMHO -- he wasn't so clearly better than Glennon, and both of these guys aren't so great that it mattered if we kept one or two. We saw what happened when Carr went down in 2016 and we had no one who could really fill in credibly - disaster. 

I don't think it's worth keeping two backups as I don't have faith in either Glennon or Peterman to step up to, say, 80-90% of what Carr can do. Not sure Kizer is that guy either, but Gruden wants multiple options in case that happens. It makes sense if you are aiming for risk mitigation, but again, comes at a cost of trading off positional depth elsewhere.

We'll see how this all pans out -- our schedule is brutal so even if we are clicking on all cylinders, it's still an uphill battle. It's going to be a dogfight of a season regardless. But the ire being shown in Gruden/Mayock's moves for end of bench players seems misplaced -- in the face of a season where we could be light years ahead of where we have been over the last 15 years, these training camp moves are not going make or break the team's potential trajectory.
Well said.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Lot a negativity in this thread for a new-look team that has yet to take the field.

I would have loved to keep Doss too, the kid flashed and was clearly talented. But he wasn't going to crack WR5 or higher given the veteran talent we have already, and with no contribution to ST, could see why we opted for a lesser pure receiving talent (IMHO) in Dwayne Harris than Doss. 

Gruden & Co are making these decisions on 4th+ stringers - these decisions definitely impact how we may successfully build for future, but let's not pretend these decisions are disastrous for the team we intend to field this year. About 40 players need to be cut to make the 53 man rosters, and PS is only 10 players deep. Hard choices need to be made. It's gonna happen that a guy we all *think* *might* be successful needs to be shelved in favor for guys that can help us win this season -- happens every year for every NFL team.

As to Peterman, yes I agree it seemed we IRd him to hold him, and Gruden has some kind of love for the guy that is a little unfounded IMHO -- he wasn't so clearly better than Glennon, and both of these guys aren't so great that it mattered if we kept one or two. We saw what happened when Carr went down in 2016 and we had no one who could really fill in credibly - disaster. 

I don't think it's worth keeping two backups as I don't have faith in either Glennon or Peterman to step up to, say, 80-90% of what Carr can do. Not sure Kizer is that guy either, but Gruden wants multiple options in case that happens. It makes sense if you are aiming for risk mitigation, but again, comes at a cost of trading off positional depth elsewhere.

We'll see how this all pans out -- our schedule is brutal so even if we are clicking on all cylinders, it's still an uphill battle. It's going to be a dogfight of a season regardless. But the ire being shown in Gruden/Mayock's moves for end of bench players seems misplaced -- in the face of a season where we could be light years ahead of where we have been over the last 15 years, these training camp moves are not going make or break the team's potential trajectory.
The only way (very small) improvement this post needs is a... "Knock on wood if you're with me"

:Knock:

Very well said STC.  If the selection of Carr's backup is the biggest issue right now, well then golly... we have it pretty good compared to the last 15'ish years.

If the selection of Carr's backup is the biggest issue right now...
IMO, the single biggest issue by far for the 2019 Raiders is Derek Carr's skittish pocket presence. If he can prove to be brave again, everything else will open up. Forget about the tough schedule, or the potential continued lack of pass rush, or the move to Vegas, or stings from AB (see what I did), or really anything else. If Carr can return to 2016 form, this team is built to compete, as soon as this year. If not, well then say hello to 3-6 wins and a new QB next draft. Rooting for the guy, and watching this aspect very closely on Monday night.

Let's not bury Ferrell based on rookie year preseason. He was and is a highly questionable selection at #4, but way too early to start casting actual judgment.

And BTW, pass rush isn't where he excelled in college. It was overall game including edge setting vs the run and leadership. Both of which he flashed in preseason. 
I was going to mention your second point as well. Ferrell doesn't have to be a 15 sack guy to be worth the #4 pick. He has to set the edge, make sure Mahomes doesn't break contain, control the B gap and force run plays horizontal rather than upfield and if he can throw in multiple sacks and QB pressures as well then he can absolutely be worth the #4.

Regarding your first point Florio has been making a great point since the draft that if Mayock were still in the TV booth he would have been propping up Farrell all off-season and that would absolutely change how taking him at #4 would have been viewed by the rest of the media and the public.

With AB being AB, who's the guy own besides Williams? 
If AB's gone, Renfrow would  be the PPR WR to own in Oakland IMO. Really wouldn't surprise if he caught 60+ balls as a rookie (assuming AB gone)

Williams value obviously goes up -- how much really up to debate -- with more targets likely but JMO his deep/downfield style doesn't mesh well with Carr. Whether Carr's there beyond 2019 is another question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope this is the end for AB on the Raiders. Hope that we can get our guaranteed money back. If he's acting like this now, what's it going to be like when we're 1-4 or something. If we can get out money back and get rid of him, the sooner the better!

With AB being AB, who's the guy own besides Williams? 
I picked JJ Nelson up in my 14 team start 3wr league.  

I like Ty Williams much better as the number 2 with brown taking best defender.  Nelson showed flashes with Arizona and might have some bench value if he can stay healthy. 

:bag:   this is embarrassing 
100%.

I would like to know more about fining conventions. AB seemed to be fined $14K for one missed day, and $40K for a second - big discrepancy and wonder why (OTS vs mandatory?) and if these general amounts are standard for teams across the league. Also wonder if they fines other players this camp at the same rate.

Unpopular opinion as this may be, a little of this might be on the Raiders. They knew AB had feet issues, they knew about his helmet issue, and seemed sympathetic to both.

If these fines were out of the blue/not transparent or known that they were coming down the pipe, I can see how this would be a surprise to AB, serving as a trigger for an already wound-tight diva. So why send it now instead of closer to when it happened?

That said fining players for missing practice is standard, and AB shouldn’t be given a pass just because he’s a star and more of a fragile psyche than other players. No one is above the team.

In that regard I think Mayock did the right thing. Paraphrasing the legendary Al Davis, you can be an individual, but you can’t disrespect or disregard authority. 

If AB misses a game or even worse is booted, it would be such a black eye for this team at the cusp of turning things around. And a gigantic waste of time and energy.

An embarrassment indeed.

This is why the Raiders can’t have nice things. 

100%.

I would like to know more about fining conventions. AB seemed to be fined $14K for one missed day, and $40K for a second - big discrepancy and wonder why (OTS vs mandatory?) and if these general amounts are standard for teams across the league. Also wonder if they fines other players this camp at the same rate.

Unpopular opinion as this may be, a little of this might be on the Raiders. They knew AB had feet issues, they knew about his helmet issue, and seemed sympathetic to both.

If these fines were out of the blue/not transparent or known that they were coming down the pipe, I can see how this would be a surprise to AB, serving as a trigger for an already wound-tight diva. So why send it now instead of closer to when it happened?

That said fining players for missing practice is standard, and AB shouldn’t be given a pass just because he’s a star and more of a fragile psyche than other players. No one is above the team.

In that regard I think Mayock did the right thing. Paraphrasing the legendary Al Davis, you can be an individual, but you can’t disrespect or disregard authority. 

If AB misses a game or even worse is booted, it would be such a black eye for this team at the cusp of turning things around. And a gigantic waste of time and energy.

An embarrassment indeed.

This is why the Raiders can’t have nice things. 
as i understand it, 14k for the missed walk through in winnipeg.  40k for a missed, mandatory training camp practice.  probably when he filed his second helmet grievance.  when mayock said, all in/all out.

so ####### stupid.  all of it!!  is sooooooooooo ####### stupid.

i'll be there monday night.  i'm looking forward to seeing friends, but am dreading the game.

i lay most of this on AB.  the rest goes on gruden and mark davis.  i think mayock is completely hamstrung.  gruden is in charge.  period.  davis put him there.  $100,000,000.00  

i'm on record, that i hate the gruden hiring and hope this will hasten his departure.

knock on wood if you're with me

:knock: 

I don't think it's a black eye at all. It was a joke when we traded for him. Now we have a chance to cut our losses with minimum financial loss and continue on trying to build a culture. This guy is going to be such a headache and distraction moving on. Would be great to get rid of him now and I think we'd get more respect for that as opposed to paying this guy millions of dollars to continue to tear apart this dumpster fire.

Sign Dobbs off of the Jags practice squad and lets go!

Speaking from experience as someone who is in charge of a group of men, I understand Mayock's frustration. Theres always that one or two employees who are complete pains in the ###! The argument is, " Why cant you just come to work, do your job and go home? Why does there need to be all this extraneous BS and drama in your your life? Work, get paid, go home and be with your family, it's not that complicated."

"Its because I'm special. I work harder than everyone else, so I deserve more. More money,  more amenities, more special treatment than the average person. I, I, I, ME, ME, ME. Nobody understands me, everyone singles me out, I'm so misunderstood,  blah, blah..."

Fact of the matter is people like AB are self-centered narcissists and believe the world revolves around them. He isn't being singled out at all. Hes singling himself out to get attention. Everyone with old helmets had to change, not just AB. No one else griped or complained. Players get fined all the time for skipping practice,  not just AB.

Never once have I heard AB say hes puts himself through this grueling training regime to win championships. He's only into himself and his body... Everything he does is for AB. He could care less about the Raiders, winning games or being a leader. In fact, AB is the furthest thing from a leader. 

I don't think it's a black eye at all. It was a joke when we traded for him. Now we have a chance to cut our losses with minimum financial loss and continue on trying to build a culture. This guy is going to be such a headache and distraction moving on. Would be great to get rid of him now and I think we'd get more respect for that as opposed to paying this guy millions of dollars to continue to tear apart this dumpster fire.

Sign Dobbs off of the Jags practice squad and lets go!
Agree that the team setting themselves up to minimize financial loss and focus on the team-first culture is the right thing to do.

But removing AB's bat-$#!& crazy element for a second, and focusing on just his talent and what he could contribute, that talent makes the Raiders better with AB on it than not.

If we shed AB, we lose that talent and the team becomes, in my mind, inarguably worse at a time when we need every drop of talent to turn this ship around, build a credible offense, and at least get back to a winning season in a year where the schedule is stacked against us. This is the black-eye I am talking about -- losing that talent is a crying shame.

That said, is it worth it to hold on to AB for the talent and endure drama, insubordination, and the tumult that comes with pandering to a guy who believes he is above the team?

Not at all.

I could live with the feet drama -- AB should have been more careful in his training regiment, but skin heals. I could live with the helmet drama -- seemed weird to miss time in camp about it (just wear a different helmet until you can find the one that suites you best) but he seemed to go through the right channels.

This kind of drama, however, shouldn't be tolerated. 

It is still a crying shame that this isn't working out. A player can be upset about the fines and what he perceives to be mistreatment by the front office, but the way AB has gone about this is inexcusable.

If they allow him to play Monday night and by extension allow his contract guarantee to take effect, it's even more Grusome than I ever imagined.

If they allow him to play Monday night and by extension allow his contract guarantee to take effect, it's even more Grusome than I ever imagined.
I get the feeling the 'heartfelt apology" won't be so heartfelt when his money is guaranteed.  

No matter how they spin it, Mayock comes out of this looking like a powerless GM, which I guess is accurate, but not something that should be advertised.

On one hand, I'd rather win games than index towards Mayock's feelings getting hurt.

On the other hand, I have zero confidence we aren't going to have another AB incident flare up at some point. Just hope it's not before Monday night.

On one hand, I'd rather win games than index towards Mayock's feelings getting hurt.
It's a little more than "getting his feelings hurt".

The guy is the GM and supposed to be a respected member of the front office.  Not a good look for the organization going forward.  But Gruden is too much of an enabler to do the right thing and back his GM who was threatened and called a "cracker".  Oh wait, that didn't really happen in the parallel universe that Gruden lives in.

This whole incident doesn't happen if Brown just talks "man to man" with Mayock instead of blasting the fine letter all over Twitter.  

If AB misses a game or even worse is booted, it would be such a black eye for this team at the cusp of turning things around.
Wow, Tom, you're much more plugged in than I am but do you really think they're on "the cusp"?  I just don't see it. AB or no AB circus, the schedule is gonna likely kill any hopes for this season.

They have, I guess, another bounty of picks next season, so maybe they knock on the door of the playoffs (or sneak in) in 2020 and become competitive week in and week out in 2021--if they can nail a handful of picks between the most recent draft and the next two. That's kinda how I'm seeing it but I'm not sure Gruden has the decision-making skills for it to happen.

BTW 2019: 7-9 ceiling, 5-11 floor

I thought the Mayock hiring was a big of a joke. I'll have a ton of respect for the guy if he quits over this. AB is going to be a nightmare the rest of the season. He started to see 30mil fly away and did whatever he had to do to keep that. I'd do the exact same. Cut this god**** cancer out now. We're not going to any superbowl any time soon. Just please get this guy out of town. We're going to lose a ton of games this year and this guy is not in it for the long haul. Please resign Mayock and keep your dignity.

Gruden is definitely in control of the organization and Mayock was playing the bad cop here.  They obviously didn't intend for it to spin out of control like this, but I don't see how anyone thinks this was Mayock fining Antonio on his own or that this pits Mayock vs Gruden.  Mayock is with the Raiders for his talent evaluation.  This is a big deal because it's Antonio Brown and it's always something with him.  

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

On the other hand, I have zero confidence we aren't going to have another AB incident flare up at some point. Just hope it's not before Monday night.
I can set my watch to his WEEKLY flare ups. So let's set an alarm for next Wednesday and check back in on this ridiculousness. AB is seriously not right in the head.

Just read some details regarding this sorry saga. I don't see how Mayock can't do anything but resign following the game or first thing Tuesday morning. I think he's only waiting that long keep the players from being distracted (dang, I knew I couldn't type that last part without laughing).

This whole thing has left him totally emasculated (nice job, Gruden). If he has any pride at all, he'll resign unless the Raiders reverse course again and suspend Brown (I knew I couldn't type that either without laughing).

What a sorry excuse for an organization.

Come on, Mayock isn't resigning. This is his dream job and he's not going to get another chance at it.
I don't think this is his dream job any longer.   This organization has regressed from just being a joke on the field to being a joke on and off the field.   Congrats Gruden.  

I don't think this is his dream job any longer.   This organization has regressed from just being a joke on the field to being a joke on and off the field.   Congrats Gruden.  
It's been a joke on and off the field for years... I personally don't think Mayock is going anywhere though. There are a lot of assumptions going on here. Nobody knows what's going on behind closed doors. Its possible Mayock and Brown could have settled their differences in a private meeting. Who knows...

Ownership, this is your time to step in and cut this guy. It's your 30mil and dude is not going to change. There is already almost no dignity being a fan of this team and this is just another kick in the balls to us. I guess I can dream of this fool being booed throughout the league at every game. Where is your leadership Gruden? You've got a ton of young guys on the team andtThis is the example we set? These are the values of our organization? Values, what a f'ing joke. Falling for this guy's crocodile tears so he can lock up his 14mil for the year. It's your money Mark, don't let this clown Gruden continue to light it on fire. 

Yes we're a better team on the field with this guy but having him on the roster will just continue to drag the franchise down. I'll be rooting for them to beat the donkeys this Monday but honestly this team could go 0-16 and I don't think I'd gaf at all. I'm sure somewhere Al is smiling though that his son continues to carry on his legacy...

steeler6 said:
Why is Mayock even there if Gruden is calling all the shots. 
previously, it is was good optics.  now, mayock has been exposed for what he is...gruden's #####.  not sure how long mayock is going to keep swallowing his pride.  it's awful.  gruden is a clown.  a $100,000,000 dollar clown.

knock on wood if you're with me!!

Its possible Mayock and Brown could have settled their differences in a private meeting. Who knows...
Who knows?  Anybody that's been watching this circus.  So no, that's not possible.  Antonio Brown didn't decide to hug Mike Mayock all of a sudden.

At least it looks like Raiders weren't going to just let AB play week 1 and have his contract become guaranteed.  So looks like the $215k fine would void the guarantees and they were willing to let him play week 1 , but not have the contract become guaranteed.  Farewell AB.

I don’t think any Raiders wrs were drafted in any of my leagues. 

So are they any Raiders wrs I should be adding with AB not playing?

I don’t think any Raiders wrs were drafted in any of my leagues. 

So are they any Raiders wrs I should be adding with AB not playing?
I would definitely look at Renfro in PPR. Nelson could have some big games but good luck figuring out which ones.  

Assume Williams is already owned. 

Just release him and move on. What kind of example is this setting for all these young players? 
They could be thinking they will place him on the NFI (i think that's what it's called) list instead of releasing him so he wouldn't be able to play for anyone this year.  If he doesn't show up for work at the next team event they can place him on a list where they wouldn't have to pay him and he would be ineligible to play for anyone else this year.

They could be thinking they will place him on the NFI (i think that's what it's called) list instead of releasing him so he wouldn't be able to play for anyone this year.  If he doesn't show up for work at the next team event they can place him on a list where they wouldn't have to pay him and he would be ineligible to play for anyone else this year.
If there's a way the Raiders can recoup even a 5th rd draft pick by doing this I'd be for it but AB may literally start killing people

At least it looks like Raiders weren't going to just let AB play week 1 and have his contract become guaranteed.  So looks like the $215k fine would void the guarantees and they were willing to let him play week 1 , but not have the contract become guaranteed.  Farewell AB.
I don't understand how the $215K fine can void the guarantees, unless they're just talking about voiding the $1M signing bonus.

My understanding is that once you're on the Week 1 roster, your entire 2019 salary is guaranteed.

(Otherwise, what's stopping every single NFL team from assessing fines during training camp and then proclaiming "By the way, this voids all of your guaranteed money...")

I don't understand how the $215K fine can void the guarantees, unless they're just talking about voiding the $1M signing bonus.

My understanding is that once you're on the Week 1 roster, your entire 2019 salary is guaranteed.

(Otherwise, what's stopping every single NFL team from assessing fines during training camp and then proclaiming "By the way, this voids all of your guaranteed money...")
Probably depends on the language in the contract.  I also read the Raiders have not paid him the $1M that has been reported.  I read he was due $500k after week 1 and another $500k next offseason of that $1M based on how the contract is written and they have not paid him a dime yet.

Actually looks like he has to not show up for 5 days not just the next team event to be eligible to be put on that list.

Users who are viewing this thread