Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hankmoody

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread

7 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Who cares what we do against Mitchell Trubisky and Joe Flaccoo?  If we ever want to get back into the playoffs those aren't the QB's we're going to see. 

Jerry McDonald had a bye week column on this very topic--the fact the Raiders hadn't beaten a topnotch QB this year to throw a little water on the 3-2 start. And if you want to know where all the holes are on your defense, Aaron Rodgers is just the man to show you.

3 hours ago, dcgangstas said:

The thing that really drives me nuts is the Carr fumble;  he did exactly the same thing losing the ball when he dove at the pylon 2 years ago.    

I guess Trump isn't the only person with small hands...

Honestly this next game may be the most important one of our season and could truly make/break us in terms of a shot at postseason play (something that's still hard for me to really fathom in terms of that being an actual possibility).

Right now it is just the Texans that sit above us that make the cut-off for wildcard. A win against them would be crucial as a tie-breaker should it come down to that. I think it would also be huge in terms of a momentum/confidence booster that -- much like beating the Colts did -- proved to the entire team that we can rebound after a loss if we have the right game plan and execution.

Certainly the week 14/15 tilts against the Jags and Titans are also going to be really meaningful if not as critical (or even more) as both teams are also on the same cusp.

But right now we need momentum and health - the more wins we can accrue now, the better, and I think it's simply better for team morale and self-belief, which also will be helpful as we go into a 3 game home stretch after the Texans (Lions, which will be tough, then Chargers and Bengals which are likely to be lesser-so) and a road game against the Jets.

Starting that stretch at 4-3 would simply be magnificent.

Hopefully we have a healthier team and one that plays above their potential (as we did against the Colts and Bears) rather than below (as we saw this past weekend).

2 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Wonder if we are making a play for another player and are giving up a 1st and 3rd, with this trade helping us regain our 3rd.

ETA: if they are making a play for another guy, I guess I wouldn't necessarily limit the imagination to them seeking a replacement for Conley as opposed to acquiring another position.

Interesting thots. If not, it seems kinda like a panic move (tho not a bad price considering how he's performed this year). Second half of last year Gruden seemed very high on him. Now six game into the next season he's deemed expendable.

Totally concur with the second thot. This team has so many holes on the D ya gotta fill 'em wherever you can in whatever order.

I might be in the minority here. But Conley can cover NFL WRs and has NFL cover skills, he just can't tackle worth a darn. Just like all ex-Raiders, don't be surprised if he plays well with a better surrounding cast.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bruno2 said:

I might be in the minority here. But Conley can cover NFL WRs and has NFL cover skills, he just can't tackle worth a darn. Just like all ex-Raiders, don't be surprised if he plays well with a better surrounding cast.

Seems early to give up on this kid for a team that has a terrible secondary.   If nothing else, more losses equal higher draft picks.   

Ifs and buts...but if Carr doesn't fumble at the goal line (a b.s. rule IMO, just put the ball at the 1) we are having a different conversation today.

Maybe not a win as Rodgers was out of his mind yesterday.  Still, that was the ball game right there.

4 hours ago, Ed Wood said:

Jerry McDonald had a bye week column on this very topic--the fact the Raiders hadn't beaten a topnotch QB this year to throw a little water on the 3-2 start. And if you want to know where all the holes are on your defense, Aaron Rodgers is just the man to show you.

Say what you will about him but Jacoby Brisett is leading the league in TD passes/game. Even if you think that's a mirage this is a good Colts team. Beating them in their home stadium is no small feat.

This Raider team is flashing more than most of us thought they were capable. It's rare that one play skews a game so wildly; but for that fumble, and they still would have lost (probably), I think we would all be much more optimistic today.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Surprising -- not that Conley was developing into a dependable piece of this D, but we are really thin at the position already -- talent and bodywise.

Found some sucker to give you a 3rd rounder for a previous regime's draft bust. Take the pick and ask questions later.

I don't like calling him a bust because I had high hopes for him but really, how many good games has he had with ample opportunity?

• Like 1

Conley was a constant tease. Seems like they wanted a fresh start with the three rookie CBs. I don't hate this trade.

• Like 1

It looks like Trubisky is leading the Bears into the ground. I am hoping for a top ten pick out of that. 

If any of you watched the Bear game, they are a mess right now. Nagy keeps throwing the ball instead of running while Trubisky stanks and teams can neutralize their D by running on them. Losing Hicks has really gutted their D and Mack and the other LB's are better suited to play pass defense. The Raiders and Saints showed how to beat them easily and unless Nagy realizes he needs to run the ball over and over, I think that top ten draft pick could be ours 5-10 sounds seems very possible. I expect our own to be a mid round pick as I think we will end the season right around 8-8. 

We picked up a third from Houston for Conley which replaces our lost 3rd for brain dead AB. 

I believe Mayock can build through the draft and I believe Gruden is a damn fine coach that has the culture and systems right and he can call a game with the best of them. I would expect Jay to join the staff in some form (assuming he gets no HC offers) and he has a good offensive mind to add as well. 

We have a lot of youth, I think we are the 4th youngest team? We need a top end #1 WR, a defensive play maker in front 7 (we may already have him assuming further development), a good corner and depth at LB and secondary. Then we are a legit and dependable playoff team.

Plus, we have money to spend. So, we can go after the big FA's if we want to fill up those needs. 

• Like 3

I just got back from Vegas this past weekend. I few things I noticed.

There's a definite buzz and excitement around town for the Raiders. I wore a Raiders t-shirt and I got a lot of high 5's all day long. They love their Golden Knights hockey too. 

Which makes me think the Raiders want to make a huge splash like the Golden Knights did, going to the NHL finals in their inaugural season to win over the fanbase.

Just pure speculation, but Vegas is a "big splash" town. The Raiders are going to have to bring in some big name free agents. I don't know who obviously, or what they're going to do with their draft picks. But they need to come into Vegas hot! They need to win over that town instantly or they will be in big trouble. Las Vegas doesn't want to root for losers or else every game will seem like an away game. 

6 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

We have a lot of youth, I think we are the 4th youngest team? We need a top end #1 WR, a defensive play maker in front 7 (we may already have him assuming further development), a good corner and depth at LB and secondary. Then we are a legit and dependable playoff team.

Plus, we have money to spend. So, we can go after the big FA's if we want to fill up those needs. 

The O is coming along nicely.   That D plays hard but lacks talent.   The pass rush is non-existent and teams can pick apart the young secondary and overmatched LBs..  In other words, after adding a true WR1, there needs to be lots of adding to the D.  

• Like 1

RIP Old Man WIllie.

Iconic Raider legend, HOF anchor and captain of our D through a historic period, a great among greats.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Bruno2 said:

I just got back from Vegas this past weekend. I few things I noticed.

There's a definite buzz and excitement around town for the Raiders. I wore a Raiders t-shirt and I got a lot of high 5's all day long. They love their Golden Knights hockey too. 

Which makes me think the Raiders want to make a huge splash like the Golden Knights did, going to the NHL finals in their inaugural season to win over the fanbase.

Just pure speculation, but Vegas is a "big splash" town. The Raiders are going to have to bring in some big name free agents. I don't know who obviously, or what they're going to do with their draft picks. But they need to come into Vegas hot! They need to win over that town instantly or they will be in big trouble. Las Vegas doesn't want to root for losers or else every game will seem like an away game. 

No one likes rooting for losers. 

But yea, I was in Vegas the weekend before last. And I saw several guys with Raider gear on the strip. Add in the fanbase in LA and the fanbase around the bay plus the RaiderNation around the country that would not really make many trips to Oakland to see a game but will sure make a trip to Vegas once or twice or more a year. If the intimidation factor follows as it was in LA and Oakland, then I don't think we have to worry about large groups of the opposing team flooding in. 

The stadium looks freaking awesome and it is smack in the middle of you can't miss us Vegas. It looks bad @$$ 

Add in the tax incentive.... damn Gina! We got a good thing going on in Vegas. 

Sooooo ridiculously much better than the ancient ruins sewer with a baseball field half the year that we play in now and a place you actually want to go to. 

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

The O is coming along nicely.   That D plays hard but lacks talent.   The pass rush is non-existent and teams can pick apart the young secondary and overmatched LBs..  In other words, after adding a true WR1, there needs to be lots of adding to the D.  

Yes, offense wise we need that one missing piece. If AB wasn't such a nutcase, man would that have been sweet. It would have made all the difference and honestly I think our offense would easily be top 5 in the league. We have a hard running home run RB, a good offensive line that hasn't yet to even been at full strength all year, a good QB*, a TE who is a stud and a WR corps that has every piece but that WR1. If we are putting together a complete wish list, I would still like a thumper RB. I liked the effort Jacobs did trying to be like Marcus Allen with the jump over the line but he isn't going to be hard to stop doing that because he lacks size. But it would be the last on my list of wishes. 

The D does not more help. Our LB which had basically no depth got even more thin fast losing Lee and Burfict. Out of who we have playing right now only Whitehead is a sure bet to make next years roster though I expect Morrow to make it too but not starting. We need a CB for sure. Worley is solid. Let's see if Nixon and/or Mullen develop. They are going to get their chances to do so with snaps. If we can keep Karl Joseph then I think we are set with Abram returning and Joyner with Harris as depth. I like the idea of having Joseph and Abram at S with Joyner as that Nickel guy. Up front... Mayowa has proven himself a great FA signing in bringing him back but I feel like he is best used as a rotational guy to add some pash rush firepower. Mad Maxx is showing some glimpses of something special but he is still raw. Ferrill is showing to be solid but not a game changing player... at least yet. I am disappointed in Key. He doesn't seem to be making much of an improvement. Mauro is playing better than him and he has been pushed to a slim snap count, for being a liability in the run game I would have expected him to be more of a threat in pass rush. Hankins and Luiget are solid run stoppers in the middle but I want to see more development of Hurst and Hall. 

*yes, a good QB, fight me on that if you dare. 

7 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

Fight you? I'm joining you!

Carr ain't perfect, but what he delivers seems perfect for the way this offense runs. Low percentage throws that are well-designed to move the chains. Carr is #1 in comp % and just outside top 10 in QBR and passing rating. I don't care if he isn't taking deep long shots downfield -- I care that he directs the offense to get first downs and convert 3rd down opportunities.

We don't need a magician like Mahomes who can make throws on the run off the back foot 50 yards downfield. We have a solid line who can protect Carr in the pocket (tied with Garoppolo for least amount of sacks in a game for QBs with 6+ starts). All he needs to do is execute, and he's done a really good job, especially given the line and WR injuries/turnover he's experienced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

I like Carr.  He seems like a great guy and solid teammate.   I'm not sold that he is the long term answer though.  He is better than average and is perfect to build a team around over the next year or two though.    That fumble into the end zone (again) was really stupid though.    That changed the whole game.   

If the Jets are serious about listening to offers for Williams, I hope that Mayock pushes the issue a bit and throws out an offer both both Robby Anderson and Leonard Williams...

Anderson/Williams and a 2021 late pick for 2 2020 3rds!  Do it!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kaso said:

If the Jets are serious about listening to offers for Williams, I hope that Mayock pushes the issue a bit and throws out an offer both both Robby Anderson and Leonard Williams...

Haven't followed Williams since the draft, but loved him back then and even wanted him over Amari, though wasn't too upset at taking Amari instead. How has Leonard played during his rookie contract? I don't recall hearing his name much these last few years, so I'm assuming he's been unassuming. :)

Not sure I like Robbie Anderson for a 3rd. Guy seems hurt a lot. REALLY wish they'd used that third rounder this past draft on Terry McClaurin F1, instead of Tony Clown. Can you imagine having him right now to go with the rest of this class?!? Pipe dream, I know. :( 

1 hour ago, kaso said:

Great idea.

Yannick Ngakoue/DeDe Westbrook is another interesting combo (to me, anyway).

I fear that we are hoarding picks so Gru/Mayock can continue to "build through youth" instead of cementing some big holes now. I've loved that approach as some of our draft picks of late are solid, but to stay, as improbable as it seems to say right now, in contention for a wildcard spot in a weak AFC, an acquisition before the trade deadline simply makes more sense.

We seem to have real burning needs at pass rushing DE, WR, and LB and arguable could still use starter/depth in our secondary. 

Looking for news on Tyrell. What's the scoop? Plantar fasciitis can take time to heal; what's the prognosis coming from the organization? Are you guys expecting him to come good when healthy? Will he produce Flex with WR2-upside numbers ROS?

2 hours ago, MindBomb said:

Looking for news on Tyrell. What's the scoop? Plantar fasciitis can take time to heal; what's the prognosis coming from the organization? Are you guys expecting him to come good when healthy? Will he produce Flex with WR2-upside numbers ROS?

Faust just posted in Tyrell's thread that he returned to practice today.

• Like 1

Aaron Rodgers will make any shaky secondary look bad. If the offense could have scored on the goal line the game score would not have looked as bad as it did. Not sure if Conley was the scapegoat or not (I still think hes going to be a solid corner in this league for years). I just feel Gru/Mayock felt it was time to get Mullen some valuable experience. Let's not forget Isaiah Johnson either. I believe he was hurt on the first play in preseason.  Supposedly he's ready to go. They probably want to see what they have in him as well.

Hoping the Raiders put a claim in for Josh Gordon once he gets released. Kick the tires for a few weeks to see if any tread left.

11 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Fight you? I'm joining you!

Carr ain't perfect, but what he delivers seems perfect for the way this offense runs. Low percentage throws that are well-designed to move the chains. Carr is #1 in comp % and just outside top 10 in QBR and passing rating. I don't care if he isn't taking deep long shots downfield -- I care that he directs the offense to get first downs and convert 3rd down opportunities.

We don't need a magician like Mahomes who can make throws on the run off the back foot 50 yards downfield. We have a solid line who can protect Carr in the pocket (tied with Garoppolo for least amount of sacks in a game for QBs with 6+ starts). All he needs to do is execute, and he's done a really good job, especially given the line and WR injuries/turnover he's experienced.

And think back to Gannon. Gannon wasn't known for arm strength (in fact, he was really under average for NFL which is lucky for us because that was a big reason Grbac... ha ha ha ha.... beat him out in KC) and he didn't push it down field a ton. He worked the system and let the playmakers make the plays. 

Carr can throw deep with above average arm strength and very good accuracy. But who are we going to throw downfield to currently? Waller..... and that is about it right now. Maybe you can send Davis on a go route here and there and see if his speed opens something up but until Tyrell comes back we are severly limited and the opposing D's can limit what we can do there. Coach Gruden has done a great job getting our TE's, not just Waller, into the mix. 

As you point out, last year was rough with a line that was decimated and I don't know if after game 1 ever had a full and healthy lineup with the Oline. This year, we lost our top WR before every having him play a down and have missed out top WR who can stretch into WR1 but is really best as a WR2. 

And let's not forget his leadership, passion, locker room presence and active role in building culture. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I like Carr.  He seems like a great guy and solid teammate.   I'm not sold that he is the long term answer though.  He is better than average and is perfect to build a team around over the next year or two though.    That fumble into the end zone (again) was really stupid though.    That changed the whole game.   

It did change the game, no doubt, but you know what... honestly, I rather the guy going all out to win a game and lose it than not really care like a Flacco or Cutler. You can doubt him being the long term answer but you CAN NOT doubt his desire to win. 

9 hours ago, kaso said:

Well yea.... 

One thing is for sure Mayock is on the phone looking for deals and is not shy about making them.... either in shipping them or getting them. 

2 hours ago, Bruno2 said:

Aaron Rodgers will make any shaky secondary look bad. If the offense could have scored on the goal line the game score would not have looked as bad as it did. Not sure if Conley was the scapegoat or not (I still think hes going to be a solid corner in this league for years). I just feel Gru/Mayock felt it was time to get Mullen some valuable experience. Let's not forget Isaiah Johnson either. I believe he was hurt on the first play in preseason.  Supposedly he's ready to go. They probably want to see what they have in him as well.

Seriously.... Rodgers can make any secondary look bad. 

2 hours ago, LawFitz said:

Hoping the Raiders put a claim in for Josh Gordon once he gets released. Kick the tires for a few weeks to see if any tread left.

IR

55 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

IR

They are planning to IR him then release him. Supposedly will happen fairly soon.

So did the Raiders really trade Conley to the Texans six days before playing them?

I'm okay with the deal but that aspect seems uniquely...Raiders.

4 hours ago, LawFitz said:

Josh Gordon scares me. Freakish talent, can't stay healthy. I'd say he looks like turned things around from his trouble spots in the past and I give him all the credit in the world for it. But after AB and Burfict and all this turmoil, I just want a steady reliable contributor that I don't have to worry about some impending injury or a looming threat of NFL suspension. 

2 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

This year, we lost our top WR before every having him play a down and have missed out top WR who can stretch into WR1 but is really best as a WR2. 

We also didn't have Gabe or Incognito to start the season, we lost our best performing LB to stupidity, and a key DB to hitting to hard. Again, just some simple stability would be fantastic.

Please don't!   That was directed at my pal.  @Stompin' Tom Connors

I don't get it. 

:whoosh:

But I am afraid to ask....

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors

3 hours ago, Chaka said:

So did the Raiders really trade Conley to the Texans six days before playing them?

I'm okay with the deal but that aspect seems uniquely...Raiders.

Guess we'll find out how much Conley remembers Gruden's playbook. 

On 10/24/2019 at 2:06 AM, Bruno2 said:

Guess we'll find out how much Conley remembers Gruden's playbook. 

Well... he isn't going to cover Waller and he can't tackle Jacobs. Gruden is likely hoping they play him.

Finally, a player WE traded was released. Pick up Osemele on the cheap and see how bad his shoulder is? 

30 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Finally, a player WE traded was released. Pick up Osemele on the cheap and see how bad his shoulder is? 

I thought he's having the surgery (or has he already had it?) so I don't think he's seeing the field again this season.

7 hours ago, Chaka said:

I thought he's having the surgery (or has he already had it?) so I don't think he's seeing the field again this season.

He had surgery on Friday.   

• Thanks 1

He had surgery on Friday.   

Can a team sign him from waivers and immediately put him on IR?

5 hours ago, Chaka said:

Good question. I don't know if anyone ever has. I can't remember an occasion. Incognito was a brilliant move in having him replace for cap savings. Not much fall off in production and alot cheaper. But he is not exactly stable and long in the tooth. 

20 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Hell ya, the Dolts came through for us. Chicago gets closer to that top ten pick for us. 

Go Pack!!!

6 hours ago, Chaka said:

Pretty sure our old friend Marty Schottenheimer did it to us (and Gruden I believe) back in the day. I forget who had his rights, but we need a CB and Dion wanted to come out of retirement and play for us. Whatever team had his rights agreed to waive him and the dolts claimed him and put him straight to IR. They were one of the worst teams in the league at the time but still wanted to c**k block us from helping our playoff push.

#martyball

54 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Hell ya, the Dolts came through for us. Chicago gets closer to that top ten pick for us. 

The Bears are a lot worse than I thought they would be.   That O is bad.   The Bears are drafting a QB in 2020

The Bears are a lot worse than I thought they would be.   That O is bad.   The Bears are drafting a QB in 2020

I said this when we did the trade... I believe we traded Mack to the Bears because of Trubisky. In this league you need a good or better QB to win. I never bought into Trubisky and I don't think Gruden did either. The bet was against Trubisky and though he did well enough last year with the D carrying them being healthy and playing at a high level, he stinks. Losing Hicks has guttef their D. You can run on them and that neutralizes Mack. On top of that Nagy doesn't know or like running so instead of using what he has, he is forcing the game into a crappy QB hands. And thankfully it is helping us get a higher draft pick. Jacobs and a top ten pick? How does that trade feel now? A little better?