What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (2 Viewers)

That D needs all the pass rush it can get.   This is an unfortunate loss.  
True enough, our D has been a MASH unit all year.

That said, outside from a solid comparative team sack tally (2) and related QB hits (4), it's not as if Key has really progressed this year and commanded more time in rotation. He's played 7 games an has a fairly thin tackle tally (3 solo, 1 assisted, 4 combo).

He was always a bit of a developmental prospect out of LSU as while he was slippery with good lean and could rush inside or outside, there were some knocks around technique and questions if he could really dominate with speed and strength at the NFL level. Along with Hurst, was hoping for Key to really develop this year and become a meaningful contributor.

Heal up, Key!

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

That said, outside from a solid comparative team sack tally (2) and related QB hits (4), it's not as if Key has really progressed this year and commanded more time in rotation. He's played 7 games an has a fairly thin tackle tally (3 solo, 1 assisted, 4 combo).

He was always a bit of a developmental prospect out of LSU as while he was slippery with good lean and could rush inside or outside, there were some knocks around technique and questions if he could really dominate with speed and strength at the NFL level. Along with Hurst, was hoping for Key to really develop this year and become a meaningful contributor.

Heal up, Key!
He hasn't done much but that playing time is really valuable to young players.   This could derail his career since it seems like he was a potentially good but not great player.    

Got a chance to watch the game. Warning in advance, here comes another one of ol' STC's long, rambling, possibly pointless "things that I noticed" -- feel free to read or ignore.

1st Q

• Lions 1st series: Joyner with a huge nasty hit, looking like KJ. Raiders initially got DET to a 3rd and 10 and let Golladay gash them for a huge 20+ gain. This has always been our weakness, but it's a maddening recurring theme that if we limit, we could be so, so much better. That said, love that we went on to forced a turnover to take posession.
  • Raiders 1st series: The entire O-line was dominating the LOS, but Miller has really come into his own. First few runs by Jacobs, Miller was opening up huge lanes on the left side. Renfrow with a big 3rd down catch on a quick inside slant - bullet of the ball and he caught it in tight man coverage to keep the drive going. Made it look routine.
  • Jacobs is such a beast, such extraordinary vision in one-step cuts, so patient and deadly in changing direction. On his TD run, Incognito pulled left and simply destroyed Killebrew, blowing him back, and Ingold made a crucial block on that side as well. That said, Incognito was lucky he didn't get called for false start as he twitched before the play.
  • DET 2nd posession, like in their first, Raiders seem to bite a little too hard on the play fake. Erik Harris with a huge hit, guy had a pretty solid game. The long 47 yard bomb to Jones on 2nd and 11 at the 50 to put them at the 3 was really sketchy. Both Jones and Worley were completely locked up with each other and that could have easily been OPI. Ref looked like he was reaching for his flag -- perhaps he saw Jones secure it and just gave it to him. Raiders came up with a huge stop on 3rd down, but let Jones get free in the back of the EZ, with Worley a step behind in coverage.
  • OAK 2nd possesion, Waller looked uncoverable yet again; love that we used INgold to convert 3rd and short after Det neutral zone infraction.
2nd Q

• Not sure why on a 3rd and 12 at DET's 16, Carr threw it on a 4 yard pattern to Richard. Must have been solid coverage. Lucky we got the DPI there. Carr also showed incredible smarts and fleet feet on the low snap, recovering it and quickly throwing it away on the run with two defenders breathing down his neck.
  • On DET's next posession, we got them on holding, but on a 1st and 20 we let Jones get a first down strike in the middle of 5 defenders, with zero pass rush, giving Stafford all the time in the world.
  • Same series, DET gets called for holding again, 1st and 20 on their own 42, again Raiders bite on a play fake, and Stafford hits Golladay for a huge gain and a TD, burning Worley, who so far is having a simply terrible game. Literally screaming at him in hate in my living room.
  • Raiders take possession with 11:21 in the 2nd. Washington in for the series and looks good on pass pro and catching the ball. Renfrow looking strong with soft hands. Gutsy call to go for it on 4th and 3 at the DET 35. Was the right play call, Carr just led Renfrow him a tad too far with Coleman draped on him.
  • Again Harris flying all over the field with a huge midair hit on a Jones catch for a first down -- surprised Jones hung on.
  • The refs just seem to hate Mad Maxx -- he gets incredible penetration and corrals Perkins, then gets called for a phantom tripping call. 
  • Worley redeems himself completely on a circus catch stealing the ball from Jones. I not only forgive you, Worley, I love you.
  • Loved seeing the Raiders, after a failed challenge of PI (where the ball hit Tuvai in the back), staring a a 3rd and 12 at our 41, our O line then gives Carr all day to hit Tyrell for the first down past the sticks.
  • Ingold with a huge cut block to give Jacobs the angle to barrel into the EZ. Such an unheralded player.
  • Something I don't think I've seen this year is the Raiders holding the Lions off with under a minute to go in the half, then getting the ball back in the 2nd. Credit goes to Arden Key with a huge sack making it 4th and 23.
3rd Q:

• Jacobs has 92 yards on the day on his first carry of the 2nd half. Just wow. 
  • Speaking of wow: facing a 4th and 3 at our own 38, we fake a punt for the first down!?! What an amazing design -- straight snap and a quick handoff. STer Kyle Wilber  with superb lead blocking on the play that really made the difference.
  • On same drive Raiders at the DET 27 with 3rd and 2, have to give props to our old friend Rashaan Melvin - Carr had Williams dead to rights with what could have been a first down at the 10, but Melvin tipped the ball, leading to a missed FG -- could have put us up by 10 instead of remaining up by 3.
  • On the very next series we held them to a 3rd and 8 after Joseph was stout in coverage and Whitehead stuffed a run. DET false start puts them at 3rd and 13...then we let Marvin Jones convert, getting past Whitehead in deep coverage. Dan Williams then immediately get called for defensive holding immediately after giving another 10 yards and 1st down, leading to a DET tying FG. While we prevented a TD, those are the plays we need to clean up to avoid letting a team back in the game -- but keep committing time and time again. 
  • Carr and Williams look to have terrific chemistry. Carr to Waller is even sweeter. Those connections enable us to get in position to score -- Moreau having a surprising yet welcome year, I really underestimated him as a pass catcher.
4th Q:

• Det's opening drive of the quarter, again we look solid on D but give up coverage on 3rd and 7 and allow them a first down instead of forcing a punt. But Ferrell starts heating up with Mayowa and Hankins. Punt, and we benefit from DET ST brain fart as they could have pinned us at our 2, but let the ball go into the EZ for a touchback. Black Hole in effect.
  • Det with an opportune sack -- their first of the day, thanks to our Carr Insurance-- to force a punt and get great field position on the 35.
  • The D finds a way to get it done despite a holding call on 3rd down ceding yet another 1st down. DET punts. We punt. Then we have our own brain fart as Nixon pushes the returner who had signaled for a fair catch OOB.
  • Our D then starts to break down and allows DET to march down the field and Stafford hits McKissic for a 20+ yard catch for the tying score. Zero help in coverage on that play.
  • BUT Carr has a huge bomb himself to Richard, who steps the f up in this series and helps us get down inside their 40. His subsequent catch and dragging Will Harris down to the 9 was his best play all year.
  • On that series, Jacobs bobbled a catch -- his second bad handle of the day, but the first was earlier in the second half with bright sun in his eyes. On this one, he was lucky that wasn't a pick 6 -- Tavon Wilson had nothing but daylight and grass in front of him had he reeled that in. 
  • Still driving in the same series, again, the O line give Carr great time, Carr does a fantastic job stepping out of a collapsing pocket to his left, and throws a perfect pass to Renfrow in a great window for the TD. So sweet. Renfrow just kept shadowing Carr from right to left -- a heads-up play that really helps the QB -- and ultimately puts the winning points on the board.
  • Det with the ball on the 23 with 1:58 to go. We had been shutting down Marvin Jones all half after he scorched us in the 1st half, but Joyner then draws a holding flag giving them a 1st. We then hold them at 3rd and 10, but Stafford finds Golladay, again inside the zone beating Joyner. Really up and down day for our box safety.
  • The very next play, we get hit with two flags -- roughing the passer (did not see what happened) and PI on Lawson, which seemed like a complete phantom call, as he was in position going for the ball all the way and nearly had a pick to end the game right there. DET gets the ball on the 8.
The rest you know. Stafford gets it inside the 5 on a run, PJ Hall comes up big with a sack. 3rd and goal on the 14, Stafford somehow finds Logan Thomas of all people to get to the 1. Joseph with an extraordinary play to defend the ball and win the game.

Feels good, fam. 

Chargers -- you're up next.

I am enjoying my fourth helping of crow this season.   It may taste better than the last serving.   I'm still slightly surprised and quite impressed at how well Gruden has the whole team playing.   The O needs a true WR1 to be great but is really playing at a winning level.   The D is shaky, and as we all know, needs to be the focus of the offseason.   We need a true pass rushing DE and LBs
Yea, add in a true WR1 and the O looks to be a top 5 monster and the starters are mostly young with the exception of Hudson and Incognito. (I still would like a power back type of guy too)

We shore up the D then we have a contender. I would want a CB as top priority. As much as we need a true WR1 we need a true CB1 that can match up and at least limit top WR's in this league if not a shut down corner which is extremely rare. I would not cry if we found a top pass rusher though. I am really excited about the Bear collapse because if they continue on this path, we have a top 10 pick to spend on an elite talent and then we will have our likely mid 1st pick to go right after. LB needs quality starter and badly needs depth. I really think that Maxx has tons of room to grow into his raw talent and I believe he will, he just is a ways off. I think Clelin is playing solid if not sexy football and honestly if not for him to hurry Stafford and Joseph playing great coverage we would have lost the game. I also think Clelin has room to improve. I believe he is a guy who will hunger after improvement and focus. I am unsure of Mullen, Nixon,  and Lawson in terms of ability to grow. We have Worley at corner and that is it now hence my giving priority to corner. If we can not cover for longer than 1 second, no amount of pass rushers will help. 

I am willing to give Cable some credit, but I honestly believe the improvement is more on the players than the coach.

@Chaka has a great point about Carr's release, and he's clearly been super efficient this year. Miller has taken a huge step, and Incognito brings both stability and some nastiness.

Honestly I think the biggest difference is Trent Brown. The guy is a full-blown monster of a man, and just swallows up anyone against him, including all-pro future HOFers (Watt was a great example).

He makes a gigantic difference in both pocket protection and road-grading run blocking. 
Agreed with Brown which is why I never cried about spending money on him and placing him at RT like some did. But let's not forget Miller and how panned he was as a pick. Another Raider reach. He has played very well and I have loved the athleticism he brings to that spot. As much as Brown is just huge and shuts that right side down- Miller is solid and adds the ability to block in space from the LT spot which you don't see very often. 

Cable has done well though. Really. I mean, we STILL haven't played a game with our full starting unit and they haven't missed a beat all year long no matter who is in there for whatever position. 

Heal up, Key!
Key has been a disappointment. I think he isn't bulking up to get the size and strength he needs at the NFL level to be worthwhile. If he doesn't progress next year, I am willing to cut bait. 

Praying Brown plays tomorrow night. He absolutely shut down Bosa in the playoffs last year when he was with the Pats.

If Trent Brown can get consistently healthy, he is worth every penny. RT, LT doesn't matter. Dude is a monster. And he's proving so even with dealing with nagging injuries pretty much all season. Imagine what he'd look like if healthy.

Biggest key to this season, aside from Jacobs was Miller. He's not as good as Derwin James overall, but plays a way WAY more valuable position. Even assuming James is a perennial all pro, if Miller plays like this for the rest of his career, I wouldn't swap them. And this is coming from someone who was very critical of that pick at the time and most of last season. Miller is playing near (or dare I say at) Pro Bowl level this year. As a LT on a rookie deal blocking for a re-ascending franchise QB, that is beyond valuable when it comes to roster construction.

Tomorrow night will be a real test for the Raider OL. Let's see how they do against a division rival with bookend beasts on primetime TV. They did great on opening night vs. the Donkies, but tomorrow has a very different feel. This game could literally determine a playoff berth when all said and done.

I am willing to give Cable some credit, but I honestly believe the improvement is more on the players than the coach.

@Chaka has a great point about Carr's release, and he's clearly been super efficient this year. Miller has taken a huge step, and Incognito brings both stability and some nastiness.

Honestly I think the biggest difference is Trent Brown. The guy is a full-blown monster of a man, and just swallows up anyone against him, including all-pro future HOFers (Watt was a great example).

He makes a gigantic difference in both pocket protection and road-grading run blocking. 
And we’ve yet to have a full strength line in this year. 

Hoping that Cable has had a big hand in Miller’s development and withe the injury replacements. Or whoever is working their voodoo sticks around 

Got a chance to watch the game. Warning in advance, here comes another one of ol' STC's long, rambling, possibly pointless "things that I noticed" -- feel free to read or ignore.

Feels good, fam. 

Chargers -- you're up next.
Who doesn't love a good SCT long, rambling, possibly pointless "things I noticed" post?

I must say that, while I disagree with conspiracies involving referees I thought there were some pretty terrible calls against the Raiders this week.

I completely agree with your perception about the Raiders letting other teams off the hook on defense. I swear that but for an all to brief respite in the late 90s, the Raiders defense has been getting gashed on third-and-long plays since Art Shell was coaching.

Kolton Miller really does look like he is developing into a legit player. The prospect of having an OT spot locked up for the next decade is so tantalizing.

It looks like the game has slowed down for Hunter Renfrow in less than half of a season. He is starting to look like a guy who will reliably find the soft spots in defenses and move the sticks in tough situations. That is what we were expecting when he was drafted, but what about that big play ability? Holy cow! 

I think it is no surprise that Renfrow's uptick in production over the last three games has coincided with a downtick in production for Waller. Bad news for Waller owners but great news for the Raiders. They have three legitimate threats in the passing game now, to go along with a very strong running game. Who would have suspected that back in September?

You ##### up big time AB.

If Trent Brown can get consistently healthy, he is worth every penny. RT, LT doesn't matter. Dude is a monster. And he's proving so even with dealing with nagging injuries pretty much all season. Imagine what he'd look like if healthy.

Biggest key to this season, aside from Jacobs was Miller. He's not as good as Derwin James overall, but plays a way WAY more valuable position. Even assuming James is a perennial all pro, if Miller plays like this for the rest of his career, I wouldn't swap them. And this is coming from someone who was very critical of that pick at the time and most of last season. Miller is playing near (or dare I say at) Pro Bowl level this year. As a LT on a rookie deal blocking for a re-ascending franchise QB, that is beyond valuable when it comes to roster construction.

Tomorrow night will be a real test for the Raider OL. Let's see how they do against a division rival with bookend beasts on primetime TV. They did great on opening night vs. the Donkies, but tomorrow has a very different feel. This game could literally determine a playoff berth when all said and done.
I also bashed the Miller pick a lot all the way through this last offseason.   I really need to learn to shut up when I obviously don't know as much as I think I do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Punt, and we benefit from DET ST brain fart as they could have pinned us at our 2, but let the ball go into the EZ for a touchback. Black Hole in effect.

Carr also showed incredible smarts and fleet feet on the low snap, recovering it and quickly throwing it away on the run with two defenders breathing down his neck.

• BUT Carr has a huge bomb himself to Richard, who steps the f up in this series and helps us get down inside their 40. His subsequent catch and dragging Will Harris down to the 9 was his best play all year.
The punt the defender was used oob so couldn't touch the ball 1st

i saw 5 bad snapped out of shotgun. the 2 above away to the left and to the knees above and 3 others scooped off bootlaces that turned into 2 completions and a throw away 

Joseph did a lot of good too

I think it is no surprise that Renfrow's uptick in production over the last three games has coincided with a downtick in production for Waller. Bad news for Waller owners but great news for the Raiders. They have three legitimate threats in the passing game now, to go along with a very strong running game. Who would have suspected that back in September?
And Moraueaooiue, the next scrabble??, the other TE as well

I'm in Las Vegas for a conference. Went down at 6:00 am to get my coffee and saw groups of Raider fans in full gear all over the place.

There were so many of them that I thought to myself "Wow, I should see if I can score some tickets for tonight's game." It was probably five seconds before I said "Oh, wait...these people are getting pumped up at 6 freaking AM to watch tonight's game ON TV!!!"

I think Las Vegas is going to be good to the Raiders. The new stadium looks beautiful, there is Raider gear everywhere and the State is even issuing Raiders vanity license plates. There is a real energy here.

Yeah that was actually a smart play by the Detroit rookie. I was happy that the announcers took time to a good amount of time after the commercial to point out that it was a heads up play by the Detroit rookie after they initially called him bone-headed.

Nope.   No way.   He's just what this young team does not need.  
Not saying he's the "truth" of what this offense needs, but I don't see why we wouldn't kick the tires here and bring him in to work out  -- his last full year with the Cowboys he was 69/838/6 so not exactly washed up. Injuries plagued him his last 3 years in DAL and can see why they wouldn't resign for big bucks. The guy is 31 so while past prime, can still be useful is he can regain the same form he had in 2017. I can imagine him helping draw some coverage away from Ty Will and Waller on streak/seam/deep routes while complimenting Renfrow on underneath routes.

The biggest question is how much of an upgrade he could be over Zay Jones. The answer might be not much. But it's not as if Dez wouldn't be available cheaply, and can certainly take Ateman's spot on the roster as we ship Marcel down to PS.

i saw 5 bad snapped out of shotgun. the 2 above away to the left and to the knees above and 3 others scooped off bootlaces that turned into 2 completions and a throw away 

Joseph did a lot of good too
I was watching condensed so didn't notice the defender go oob -- good point out there, thanks!

I, too, noticed how many times the snap went low or off-center, but couldn't see if that was mostly on Andre James or if Erik Magnuson was in on those snaps, assume the former.

So psyched about this game, it's really going to be a dogfight and the farthest thing from a gimme.

We benefit as it's at home so the Black Hole should have its hackles up to jeer the Chargers as we always do on each and every play.

But the Chargers have a really quality squad on both ends of the ball. Keys to victory:

On offense, it will all be on containing Bosa and Ingram -- Miller and Brown need to play up to their full potential, and get support in the interior on stunts and twists. They've shown they can keep Carr clean, but they need to be as vigilant and execute the way they did in the Bears game as the Charger D is coming in hot with 9 sacks over the last 3 games, whereas we have done a really good job keeping Carr upright. We need to be the Unmovable Objects vs their Unstoppable Force.

Casey Heyward is still a quality defender, but the surrounding secondary is not as good and we have other weapons if Ty Will is shut down - though LAC has defended TEs fairly well, I have faith that his talent and ability wins out over any defender. Jacobs should be a beast, and if the Chargers LB Perryman is out, we should be effective on the ground.

On D, we'll need a complete a game as we can. Chargers have a really balanced attack now that Gordon is finding his legs -- they essentially have two starting backs in Gordon and Ekeler, and while our run D has been solid, they both are great pass-catching backs too so we need to be ferocious up front and getting out and covering flats and wheels.

Chargers also have really great receivers and they will be looking to exploit our own weaknesses. I trust Joyner out of the slot on Keenan Allen more than I do Worley/Lawson Mullen/Nixon on Kupp and Williams outside. And Tahir Whitehead and Nicholas Morrow need to be near perfect to contain Henry. This is the part that makes me nervous.

I suspect a close game and one we will need to fight for on every down, and minimize mistakes and penalties (fat chance).

ETA to add: Totally forgot that Williams might have the revenge juice factor going in playing his former team. Hope he lights them up as a result.

I got a bone to pick with the re-ascending franchise QB. 

Carr has been Carr. You can not judge performance on a team sport like this statically and you certainly can not forget about injuries. 

The down years for Carr have very clear reasons for them. Coming back quickly and then playing with a freaking broken back. Or the supporting cast was bad or on 3rd string backups. 

Wow, what an incredible win!

Huge props to:

• Erik Harris who had 3 INTs (yes, 3 -- 2 were official, but one was called back on a really ticky-tacky flag -- and a 4th even sailed right through his hands).
  • Ferrell silencing all his critics 
  • Mad Maxx who looks like he is really developing into something special
  • Jacobs who kept battling and battling and got that well-deserved run for the winning score
  • The entire defensive unit who played lights-out -- what an extraordinary squad who plays way above their name brand
  • Incognito -- the guy is 36, for chrissake! He is playing as well as he has in his prime, destroying guys with his deadly kick-out pulls
  • The o-line -- they are simply a massive wall and the biggest difference maker for our offense
  • Carr, who is simply showing us who he we all know he is - a great field general who is also super-clutch
  • Gruden and Guenther -- great calls on both sides of the ball
That was a huge divisional game that keeps us in the hunt for that 6th seed with a crucial in-division win. I can't help but think what we would have if we hung on and beat HOU, but we have a softer schedule ahead and have incredible momentum -- and more importantly, belief in ourselves.

Hoping Joyner is OK. Kind of looked like more than a hamstring/muscle pull the way he suddenly went down, the way he was down for a while, and the way his body language looked when he finally got up and limped off the field. We really need him in our backfield, so hope it's nothing that 10 days rest can't cure.

But that did not look good. 

Hoping Joyner is OK. Kind of looked like more than a hamstring/muscle pull the way he suddenly went down, the way he was down for a while, and the way his body language looked when he finally got up and limped off the field. We really need him in our backfield, so hope it's nothing that 10 days rest can't cure.

Joseph banged up on that last play too

rest up boys you’ve earned it

Ya, when he first went down it looked like he was grabbing his knee but as he was limping off it looked pretty clear he was grabbing more behind his knee/hamstring. May have popped his hammy which could put him on the shelf for a few weeks minimum.

What a GREAT win for the Beloved Silver and Black on national TV!!   

I loved seeing the secondary generating turn-overs (thank you Erik Harris!!)

Josh Jacobs is just a beast.   The kid runs so hard, and with power and vision.    

The offensive line has really come together.   I will no longer rant about passing on Derwin James for Kolton Miller.   

Let's GO!!!! 

Raiders team is really coming together - with 10 days off followed by Cincy at home and then at the Jets, they very realistically could be sitting at 7-4 heading into KC for Week 12.

10-6 and a playoff shot looking very realistic right now, with 11-5 not out of the question. Fun team to watch and incredible vindication for Gruden and Mayock. 

What I really like to see is them battling for four quarters and taking care of business in prime time on national television.

In years past I think they would have folded after the initial momentum wore off.

Was real nervous when Jacobs scored at the end leaving just over a minute and 3 TOs for Rivers to drive for a FG to tie. Became even moreso when Caledon turned that into a FG to win. (Side note: Gru should've allowed another ~20 sec to run before calling the TO just before Jacobs TD.)

Raiders of years past would've gone into a prevent shell and allowed three straight underneath passes to a guy like Rivers. But Maxx and Cle and Co. aren't the Raiders of old. They refused to be denied last night. Freaking awesome.

In years past I think they would have folded after the initial momentum wore off.
Raiders of years past would've gone into a prevent shell and allowed three straight underneath passes to a guy like Rivers. But Maxx and Cle and Co. aren't the Raiders of old. They refused to be denied last night. Freaking awesome.
Absolutely this. Way too many games over the last 10 years where we simply let the other team march down the field on us and take away the lead late in the 4th, then not be able to respond.

Regardless of their record, this team looks special.

Next sign of growth. Destroy a team we're supposed to.
Arguable I'd say we did that in Week 1! But you are absolutely right.

Even better, how about destroy 3/4 next opponents who it seems we should be able to beat -- CIN, NYJ, KC, TEN.

I hate to even hope for this, but we could be 8-5 after that stretch.

9 wins is eminently doable looking at ROS, and if we can dust off the Chargers again, 10-7 can be a reality. That seems like it could very well be a wildcard berth, especially if we beat the Jags.

Just hoping we stay healthy enough on D to remain effective (looks like we may be losing both our safeties for a game+) and keep up this level of play.

Was real nervous when Jacobs scored at the end leaving just over a minute and 3 TOs for Rivers to drive for a FG to tie. Became even moreso when Caledon turned that into a FG to win. (Side note: Gru should've allowed another ~20 sec to run before calling the TO just before Jacobs TD.)

The Raiders pressured and battered Rivers all game.  He could have carved up the D with short/medium passes on the last drive but was nervous or something.   No explanation for so many horrible long passes.   A FG wins the game.   Charges didn't need a TD.   

So, that D line working over a horrible O line for the whole game really paid off. 

Eisen all over the Raiders right now. Calling 10-6, playoffs and just said Jacobs is a lock for ORotY and reminds him of Zeke.

One of the few games this year I’ll get to watch. A few thots…

What a schizophrenic display on defense:
• A full-throttle assault by the line nearly the entire game to make Rivers go crying for his mommy. I lost track of sacks—5 was it?
• Three picks (coulda been 4—by the same guy!).
Now the not so good stuff…
• Tons of hankies. All seemed pretty legit except for the hold on Mullen with under a minute left. That stuff happens—and much worse happens—every play. That doesn’t get called on a five-year vet and no way it should be called with less than a minute to go.
• Been a long time since I’ve seen three offsides calls in one game. The most basic tenet on the defensive side of the football was a total fail.
• Same old thing for decades—tons of first-opportunity tackles missed. Tons of pass catchers running free and unabated.
But…when it came crunch time there were no pass catchers running free. What was it—8 passes in the last minute? And on about everyone of em everybody had a Raider in their shirt.

• And one of the things that cheers my heart the most: despite all the flags, they still found a way to win. That’s what the Raiders of the 70s and 80s did. They had players they knew were gonna commit a lot of penalties but they had players they knew were gonna overcome em too.

I think I’m seeing a little of No. 75 in Mr. Crosby.

What can you say about Carr? He’s now in full control of the complex Gruden offense. I think all questions have been answered. Few ill-advised throws now. Not so jittery now. He takes a sack here and there when there’s nothing developing instead of throwing the ball into traffic.

Props to Gruden and Mayock for what appears to be an outstanding draft class. Especially Mayock. I think Gruden’s first effort was middling at best but not the second with Mayock lending his input.

But about Gruden…hats off on two fronts:
1)    He knows how to call a game. On that last drive you knew he’d come up with the right plays. All he needed was team execution and he got it.
2)    He’s got this team turned around. In 25 games. Say what you want about that lousy road trip but it helped this team bond. They’re playing hard and they’ve got each other’s backs.

Exciting time to be a fan.

After years of watching DMC and Latavius crumble after arm tackles, it's refreshing to watch Jacobs run through anything.
Agreed. I am impressed with his vision, one cut ability how he moves so well in tight spaces and seems to always fall forward.

I never thought I would say this season that the Raiders offense is so versatile and dynamic. It seems to be evolving into a legitimate a pick-your-poison situation for defenses.

And I think that starts with Jacobs.

So many of us, me being one of the loudest, hated on the Khalil Mack trade.

And now here we are in a position where it seems like the first of the two 1st round picks received (Jacobs) is by himself more impactful/valuable to this team overall - offense and defense, because he keeps chains moving and our D rested - than walking-HOFer Mack ever was. Not to mention also, as effectively part of the trade, getting man-mountain Brown, plus another first rounder (potentially top-ten) this year, and tons of cap flexibility going forward, including the ability to move on from Brown should he unlikely falter, plus an additional ~$5 MM per annum cap space beyond Jacobs + Browns' salaries.

Assuming all remain healthy and productive, it's very conceivable at this point that...

- Jacob's impact > Mack's impact

- Jacobs + Brown (w/cap protection) >>>> Mack

- Jacobs + Brown (w/cap protection) + top-ten 2020 Mayock pick is potentially >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mack

Crazy. I know.

Yeah i just looked for this thread to say that.  Awesome moment with him giving a fan his jacket then another one his visor and just high fiving everyone.  Good for him
And hugs! I mean... seriously... that was pure real genuine love and excitement! That had me pumped up. 

Wow, what an incredible win!

Huge props to:

• Erik Harris who had 3 INTs (yes, 3 -- 2 were official, but one was called back on a really ticky-tacky flag -- and a 4th even sailed right through his hands).
  • Ferrell silencing all his critics 
  • Mad Maxx who looks like he is really developing into something special
  • Jacobs who kept battling and battling and got that well-deserved run for the winning score
  • The entire defensive unit who played lights-out -- what an extraordinary squad who plays way above their name brand
  • Incognito -- the guy is 36, for chrissake! He is playing as well as he has in his prime, destroying guys with his deadly kick-out pulls
  • The o-line -- they are simply a massive wall and the biggest difference maker for our offense
  • Carr, who is simply showing us who he we all know he is - a great field general who is also super-clutch
  • Gruden and Guenther -- great calls on both sides of the ball
That was a huge divisional game that keeps us in the hunt for that 6th seed with a crucial in-division win. I can't help but think what we would have if we hung on and beat HOU, but we have a softer schedule ahead and have incredible momentum -- and more importantly, belief in ourselves.

There is some lack of talent or talent not realized on this team but I don't think ANYONE on the team lacks heart, desire and effort. Gruden has them not only playing hard but he has them gelled as a real FAMILY. I mean, you can see it after plays- watch them be really excited for the other player not just the team got a TD or sack. We may not be a Super Bowl contender this year and we have a lot more work to do but THIS team will surprise people. 

After years of watching DMC and Latavius crumble after arm tackles, it's refreshing to watch Jacobs run through anything.
I love Jacobs. He plays smart, he plays with vision, he plays fast, he plays hard and he gets extra yards. A friend of mine (Not a Raider fan) posted this on my FB today: "Josh Jacobs has more yards, yards per carry, yards after contact, and rushing touchdowns than the entire Bears rushing offense, which is who they could’ve had instead of Mack. And that 2020 Bears pick is looking like a top 10 selection. Just saying."

I love Jacobs. He plays smart, he plays with vision, he plays fast, he plays hard and he gets extra yards. A friend of mine (Not a Raider fan) posted this on my FB today: "Josh Jacobs has more yards, yards per carry, yards after contact, and rushing touchdowns than the entire Bears rushing offense, which is who they could’ve had instead of Mack. And that 2020 Bears pick is looking like a top 10 selection. Just saying."
Jacobs is a fantastic.  He makes it look so effortless,  even when he get hit at the line he still get 3 or 4 yards. I do wish we had a more physical bakc up for him. Richard and Washington have trouble breaking tackles.  

Jacobs is a fantastic.  He makes it look so effortless,  even when he get hit at the line he still get 3 or 4 yards. I do wish we had a more physical bakc up for him. Richard and Washington have trouble breaking tackles.  
Makes sense that Washington is gone in the offseason which makes room for a power back.  Be great if another big back beat on the D for a handful of carries instead of Jacobs all game.  

I have said before the season started that I wished we had a power back in the fold but Washington and Richard are good to have. The times Jacobs had to go out for a bit with some injury they both came in and hardly missed a beat. 

In the Jacobs thread somebody posted "Cadillac Williams part deux?" so I took a look after 9 games for each and yep--startlingly similar:

Jacobs 168/811/7, 20 catches

Williams 172/about 700/3, 14 catches

Williams ended the season with 290 carries and 25 catches.

The big caveat here, tho, is college touches. Cadillac about 800, Jacobs about 300.

I wonder if Gruden has been asked about this.

Cadillac Williams played 81 games in the NFL.

I think I’m seeing a little of No. 75 in Mr. Crosby.
Maybe it's because Handsome, Strong, Howie Long will always be my favorite Raider. But it's waaaay too early to even make that kind of comparison. I see the same kind of motor on Crosby, but Howie was a masterful technician and one of the fastest D-linemen off the snap ever. If Crosby develops into half the player HOF Howie was, I'll be thrilled.

But totally think Crosby is on his way, the kid is impressive, plays with tons of heart, never gives up on a play, and may develop into a key pass rush specialist, which we desperately need. 

Allegiant will be Madd Maxx's Thunderdome.

There is some lack of talent or talent not realized on this team but I don't think ANYONE on the team lacks heart, desire and effort. Gruden has them not only playing hard but he has them gelled as a real FAMILY.
One of the biggest things missing from the last decade from this team was an identity. A purpose, a cohesion where you saw players support each other regardless and act like, as you say, a family. 

It was something Gruden talked about in preseason.

And I think the Raiders are actually developing that identity back thanks to Gruden's culture of never-say-die, fight for every yard and every down, and never surrender attitude.

Loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread