What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (3 Viewers)

Joseph to IR...
:sadbanana:

Sucks, here's hoping Swearinger can step up...any word on how long Joyner might be out?

Saw we also signed Dion Jordan, likely to give the D support up front to replace Arden Key. Guy was the 3rd pick overall, and has 8.5 sacks in 43 games -- but has more suspensions than starts, and missed whole years in the league. Not sure what he'll add - seems like an Al Davis reclamation project than a Mayock "good character" signing.

:sadbanana:

Sucks, here's hoping Swearinger can step up...any word on how long Joyner might be out?

Saw we also signed Dion Jordan, likely to give the D support up front to replace Arden Key. Guy was the 3rd pick overall, and has 8.5 sacks in 43 games -- but has more suspensions than starts, and missed whole years in the league. Not sure what he'll add - seems like an Al Davis reclamation project than a Mayock "good character" signing.
The Same Dion Jordan that Steven Ross drafted after trading with the Raiders, or whoever was running the phins at the time, was saying he totally got the best of the  Raiders in that trade? Hope he does well and we can rub it in hs face again

Joseph to IR...
Sunava.... 

Last thing on Joyner was Gruden saying he was really worried about both of them. It hurts. Man... went from a high of watching our team win and obvious growth to a low of losing our two best secondary guys on a secondary already suspect and thin. I heard the plan is to move Worley to S and Mullen and Johnson stating at CB. 

Dion never lived up to his 3rd overall but he wasn't a total bum either. Hopefully this is one of those times that your last chance is what the player needs to get the most of him. 

DocHolliday said:
Come on.   This team cannot have more than one happy day in a row.  Joseph is bound to get hurt though.  That kid hits.   
He got hurt jumping up in the air for the game winning INT. 

He got hurt jumping up in the air for the game winning INT. 
It was a dumb (and/or selfish) play to catch that ball. It was 4th down and a long throw. Cost them 30+ yds in field position and perhaps he wouldn't have gotten hurt if he'd just batted it down, like he was supposed to in that situation.

LawFitz said:
It was a dumb (and/or selfish) play to catch that ball. It was 4th down and a long throw. Cost them 30+ yds in field position and perhaps he wouldn't have gotten hurt if he'd just batted it down, like he was supposed to in that situation.
How would he have batted it down without jumping? The action of jumping is what caused the injury. It is just one of those things that happen. Like Joyner running and pulling up short. No contact. No reason to suspect playing the game with normal actions.... running, jumping, etc is going to cause an injury. 

I am really confused about this post bud. 

One thing I do not understand is that Cowboys Amari Cooper > Raiders Amari Cooper by a large margin. I am not understanding what he is a much better wideout now than he was with us. He doesn't have the drops like he did with us. He is making plays routinely for the Cowboys where with us it was flashes and teases of it. He is able to get into the game without being force fed which it seemed we had to do with us. He seems to be getting open more than he did with us. I just am not getting it. 

The other thought about Amari Cooper.... if anyone else watched the game last night, did you also think that if he was a Raider he would have got the offensive pass interference call on that one TD that he got a way with as a Cowboy?

The other thought about Amari Cooper.... if anyone else watched the game last night, did you also think that if he was a Raider he would have got the offensive pass interference call on that one TD that he got a way with as a Cowboy?
I was thinking the same thing last night.   That catch never would have stood in a Raiders uniform.   The push off was blatant and I'm not sure his left foot was down when he caught the ball.  

I was thinking the same thing last night.   That catch never would have stood in a Raiders uniform.   The push off was blatant and I'm not sure his left foot was down when he caught the ball.  
I guess it is fun to have the tradition and reputation of being the rough and tumble bad boys but I guess there is a cost to that. It was obvious that he created the separation with the push and usually the 'arm extended' is the call- which his arm was clearly full extended. 

One thing I do not understand is that Cowboys Amari Cooper > Raiders Amari Cooper by a large margin. I am not understanding what he is a much better wideout now than he was with us. He doesn't have the drops like he did with us. He is making plays routinely for the Cowboys where with us it was flashes and teases of it. He is able to get into the game without being force fed which it seemed we had to do with us. He seems to be getting open more than he did with us. I just am not getting it. 
Cowboy Coop is not the same WR as Raider Coop.   Maybe Cooper isn't the stand up player that I thought and he wasn't happy in Oakland and wasn't putting forth much effort.    He obviously loves Dallas and is playing harder now than he ever did as a Raider.   He is even playing through injuries.    But, he also seems to be getting targeted consistently as well.    Maybe Carr had a problem with him.    

Cooper may have felt like he was never going to win a SB in Oakland and needs that motivation.   He may also enjoy the extra media coverage that Dallas receives.  Will be interesting to see how Cooper acts over the years as the Cowboys face challenges.   

I guess it is fun to have the tradition and reputation of being the rough and tumble bad boys but I guess there is a cost to that. It was obvious that he created the separation with the push and usually the 'arm extended' is the call- which his arm was clearly full extended. 
He didn't just create space either.   He pushed the DB a good 2-3 feet away.   I have never liked the Cowboys but like Dak and Cooper.   

Cowboy Coop is not the same WR as Raider Coop.   Maybe Cooper isn't the stand up player that I thought and he wasn't happy in Oakland and wasn't putting forth much effort.    He obviously loves Dallas and is playing harder now than he ever did as a Raider.   He is even playing through injuries.    But, he also seems to be getting targeted consistently as well.    Maybe Carr had a problem with him.    

Cooper may have felt like he was never going to win a SB in Oakland and needs that motivation.   He may also enjoy the extra media coverage that Dallas receives.  Will be interesting to see how Cooper acts over the years as the Cowboys face challenges.   
Or maybe it was the wake up and/or revenge motivation type thing of being traded. I don't know. 57.8% Catch % with us. 72.1% with the Cowboys. Does motivation impact your ability to not drop the ball? 

He didn't just create space either.   He pushed the DB a good 2-3 feet away.   I have never liked the Cowboys but like Dak and Cooper.   
The DB was falling backward from the push. It was clear it wasn't breaking the ankles kind of 'oh crap' but a clear push. Soooooo would have been called against us. 

Nice job Titans!
It really was almost a Yahtzee kind of night for us. Beating the Chargers soundly in a game meaningful for both division and wildcard hopes. Titans knocked off the Chiefs putting us closer to (improbably as it sounds) the division lead. Browns knocking off the Bills whose schedule only gets harder from here. Broncos and Houston on a bye.

The only think that would have made it better is if the Rams could have gotten the job done against the Steelers, who now have a better conference record. 

That and the Bears losing to help our 1st round draft pick.

I was thinking about this as well. I think you and @DocHolliday make some good points. Also wonder how much man v man he faces as opposed to zone/bracket coverage. IIRC, Cooper sometimes had trouble gaining separation at the line. He would often get jammed up 5 yards from scrimmage. Wonder if the caliber of the secondaries also is different in the NFC North vs AFC West. It's not as if Dak is so clearly better than Carr (though he did have a fantastic game last night).

But I do think he is showing much more heart and willingness to fight for the ball than he did in Oakland. To this day I have no idea why he was so discontent in OAK.

How would he have batted it down without jumping? The action of jumping is what caused the injury. It is just one of those things that happen. Like Joyner running and pulling up short. No contact. No reason to suspect playing the game with normal actions.... running, jumping, etc is going to cause an injury. 

I am really confused about this post bud. 
I did say perhaps. That said, he didn't need to jump to bat that ball down. It came right to him. Actually looks like he didn't even need to jump to catch it. 

https://youtu.be/gW7mDTdYfyc

Bad team play regardless of the injury, though. Karl should know better as a vet.

And not comparable to Joyner blowing out his knee while playing proper coverage duties for the above reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did say perhaps. That said, he didn't need to jump to bat that ball down. It came right to him. Actually looks like he didn't even need to jump to catch it. 

Bad team play regardless of the injury, though. Karl should know better as a vet.

And not comparable to Joyner blowing out his knee while playing proper coverage duties for the above reasons.
I don't see how he got hurt jumping.  Maybe he hurt his foot running to the ball?   I expect injuries for Joseph since he is pretty physical but this was a strange one.   At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   He is out.   That stinks.   

Yep, those toe-taps were special, and I was his loudest critic in that regard.  He never showed that kind of field awareness, hand/eye, or attention to detail when he was with us.  He clearly just didn't want to be here for whatever reason.  F him.

I still don't get the criticism. No reason to expect to get hurt jumping.

I don't see how he got hurt jumping.  Maybe he hurt his foot running to the ball?   I expect injuries for Joseph since he is pretty physical but this was a strange one.   At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   He is out.   That stinks.   
I did read somewhere he said it was while he jumped that he felt something (I think initially he said his knee or leg). 

Yep, those toe-taps were special, and I was his loudest critic in that regard.  He never showed that kind of field awareness, hand/eye, or attention to detail when he was with us.  He clearly just didn't want to be here for whatever reason.  F him.
It is prob while we shipped him.... not 100% on board and we got a 1st for him which we turned into Abram which from all accounts leading up to the first game and in the first game is a great pick. 

I'm not sure why the narrative has to be that Amari didn't want to play in Oakland.  I think it could be as simple as he was 24 when he got traded and had a ton of potential for growth that likely would have been realized wherever he played.

It's not like players are locked into being the player they are at 23 years old.

I'm not sure why the narrative has to be that Amari didn't want to play in Oakland.  I think it could be as simple as he was 24 when he got traded and had a ton of potential for growth that likely would have been realized wherever he played.

It's not like players are locked into being the player they are at 23 years old.
Except we aren't talking year over year, we are talking about in season going from an offense he had time to learn to being thrown into a new team and immediately playing better. 

Vernon Hargreaves was waived. Mayock was high on him coming out of college but apparently he was cut for lack of effort which we know is opposite of what Mayock/Gruden want. I don't see us putting in a claim but if he clears waivers, I bet we make a phone call and see if we can bring him in as a low risk/high reward type of move that meets a big need. 

Preston Brown is on waivers too. Been a good tackler in the past but has sucked with the Bengals. Big need but we may not kick the wheels. Lee is due back soon. 

He is just getting better as he progresses and develops and may have more help developing 

Except we aren't talking year over year, we are talking about in season going from an offense he had time to learn to being thrown into a new team and immediately playing better. 
Cowboy Cooper was instantly better than Raider Cooper.   It happened in a couple of weeks.   He had more energy.   More focus,.  

I love that they have a whole segment on NFL Network about how the Chiefs should fear the Raiders and going through each teams schedules to debate who will win the division. Damn, it is nice to be in that conversation and even more so with the depleted LB and secondary groups. 

Cooper was immediately better with the Cowboys.  He couldn't have developed in 14 days.   It is called effort.   
That is true and I think he has gotten better since then too

i can’t recall who it was but someone was talking about how well he’s getting off press recently 

So in addition to the loss as PIT gives up the ghost to CLE, in this horrendous TNF game is good for us in terms of conference records if PIT somehow finds a way to contend going forward, right?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
So in addition to the loss as PIT gives up the ghost to CLE, in this horrendous TNF game is good for us in terms of conference records if PIT somehow finds a way to contend going forward, right?
Pburgh loss is good sincee any losses by potential wild card teams helps the Raiders chances of sneaking into playoffs. KC will likely win AFC W.   

Not defending anything that Burfict has done in his career.

But he got 12 games.

Going to be real interesting to see what Garrett gets - what he did was arguably worse.

Hayensworth got what, 5 games for his head stomp?

But he got 12 games.

Going to be real interesting to see what Garrett gets - what he did was arguably worse.

Has to be a few suspensions.  Garrett has to get at least 10 and Pouncey should get 2 for the kicking.    This wasn't the Raiders though so it may not be many games.   

Next two games will be very telling about this team. Good teams step up their game and find a way to beat other good teams in the fourth quarter. They also come out and stomp bad teams. We saw the Raiders do the prior the last two weeks. Now let's see if they can also do the latter.

But he got 12 games.

Indefinite suspension is absolutely appropriate for Garrett, even as a first offense.

Burfict earned his 12 gamer too, but for different reasons.

Missed Q1 and about 1/3 of the 2nd. 

Freaking Mad Maxx with 4 sacks (I only saw 3). Love it. I think the silver lining for Key being out is Maxx getting more snaps. I can't say I saw much technique in the sacks but they were a heck of a lot of effort and willpower to get to the QB. Imagine him start to pick up some moves.

Swearinger and Jordan making good contributions right away. I am loving what Mayock has been doing. 

Harris followed up his out of this world game with a solid game today. 

Mullen played well. That INT was pretty darn nice play for him. The way he switched sides and grabbed it and hung on was bordering on amazing. 

Jacobs 4.8 per carry and over 100 yards. Runs hard, plays smart, uses his blockers.... man, I am excited about this young man. 

Speaking of young men... Renfrow looks to me to be maturing into the wideout role. No huge stats but I get the feeling watching him the game is 'slowing down' for him. 

The coaches are doing a dang good job. Our D is playing hard and though they may not have the most talent on the field of any NFL defense but you can not doubt their heart. They are playing their hearts out on every play. 

Of course, you can't talk about the Raiders without the penalties (both the number we actually commit and the ones that are added on because we are the Raiders). 

In general, like most of the games I have seen this year both wins and losses- we seem to be a team that will win most games if we don't lose it. Now that may sound like 'duh' but what I mean by that is that this game shouldn't have been as close as it was. I do not mean that in terms of the Bengals being 0-10 but rather through some mistakes and penalties, we gave them a chance in this game. We seem to play well on offense and have the talent there and our D is playing hard... but when we win, it is we won by overcoming our mistakes and penalties and when we have lost it has largely because of those mistakes and penalties versus the other team obviously beating us. 

Here is to Rams taking the Bears down to 4-6 for that top 10 pick!!! GO RAMS!

Here is to the Dolts taking the Chefs down and us being in 1st place!!! GO DOLTS!

Can’t even believe the discussion of 1st place in the AFC West is even on the table at this point in the season. Go Raiders!

Should have been up by two TDs -- Jacobs unfortunate fumble in the first inside the 10, and a few penalties moving us back and not getting it done in the 4th when we were inside the 5 and came away with just a FG.

Big Drink Waller's numbers are suffering a little for fantasy owners, but had a few really clutch catches down the seam and in man coverage to move the chains. From a Raider fan perspective, we'll take it as WIlliams and Renfrow looked super solid with clutch 3rd down conversion catches and a few deep strikes outside.

@Chadstroma you nailed it on Maxx -- hard to ignore his contribution with 4 sacks, but he simply looks dominant out there, bull rushing the edge from both sides. He's been flashing all year. We still have a way to go on D, but we went from not having a pass rush or any DE we could depend once we shed Mack to having Ferrell, Crosby, Mayowa, and Mauro (who had a great play or two) -- a DE unit that is certainly punching above weight and actually looks promising.

It's actually DT that looks a little thin at this point of the season with Hankins, Hall, Hurst, and McClain. Go figure.

Carr was looking confident, making great calls on the line, and was super-accurate with a fantastic completion % through the first half. Ending with 25/29 ain't shabby at all.

CIN was playing solid in the first half, but we did what we needed to do to beat a winless team. We need to take this momentum on the road (luckily we're used to the road) against a Jets team that looks much better on both sides of the ball through the last few weeks -- going to be a tough test, have no delusions. And while our ROS has us playing a lot of teams with losing records, they are far from cupcakes and any one of them can knock us off our rhythm.

Going to be a dogfight through the end, but (as strange as it seems) we're in a good spot to contend for a wildcard, and more in control of our destiny than not.

GO RAIDERS!

Should have been up by two TDs -- Jacobs unfortunate fumble in the first inside the 10, and a few penalties moving us back and not getting it done in the 4th when we were inside the 5 and came away with just a FG.

Big Drink Waller's numbers are suffering a little for fantasy owners, but had a few really clutch catches down the seam and in man coverage to move the chains. From a Raider fan perspective, we'll take it as WIlliams and Renfrow looked super solid with clutch 3rd down conversion catches and a few deep strikes outside.

@Chadstroma you nailed it on Maxx -- hard to ignore his contribution with 4 sacks, but he simply looks dominant out there, bull rushing the edge from both sides. He's been flashing all year. We still have a way to go on D, but we went from not having a pass rush or any DE we could depend once we shed Mack to having Ferrell, Crosby, Mayowa, and Mauro (who had a great play or two) -- a DE unit that is certainly punching above weight and actually looks promising.

It's actually DT that looks a little thin at this point of the season with Hankins, Hall, Hurst, and McClain. Go figure.

Carr was looking confident, making great calls on the line, and was super-accurate with a fantastic completion % through the first half. Ending with 25/29 ain't shabby at all.

CIN was playing solid in the first half, but we did what we needed to do to beat a winless team. We need to take this momentum on the road (luckily we're used to the road) against a Jets team that looks much better on both sides of the ball through the last few weeks -- going to be a tough test, have no delusions. And while our ROS has us playing a lot of teams with losing records, they are far from cupcakes and any one of them can knock us off our rhythm.

Going to be a dogfight through the end, but (as strange as it seems) we're in a good spot to contend for a wildcard, and more in control of our destiny than not.

GO RAIDERS!
Why did they try and draw the Bengals offside on 1st and goal from the one?  There is basically nothing to gain there and only things to lose.  If they jump (and it did look like the Bengals jumped first) you gain a half of yard, with a false start, you're at 1st and goal from the 6.  Just snap the ball and pound it in.  No reason for that and it cost them 4 points.

Why did they try and draw the Bengals offside on 1st and goal from the one?  There is basically nothing to gain there and only things to lose.  If they jump (and it did look like the Bengals jumped first) you gain a half of yard, with a false start, you're at 1st and goal from the 6.  Just snap the ball and pound it in.  No reason for that and it cost them 4 points.
I don't think it was trying to draw... I think the Cincy defender flinched and either Incognito was trying to get the penalty or flinched as a reaction. Either way, it was BS that it went against us. Welcome to being a Raider fan. 

There's lots to be excited about for Gruden/Mayock's Raiders right now. Being 6-4 and tied for 1st in the division is something no one expected. Carr is playing like the second coming of Rich Gannon. The rookie class is playing well and contributing. 

But the Oline play was concerning yesterday. I might be wrong but this might have been the 1st game that all the starters played from start to finish. They should have played better. Atkins got the best of Miller a few times and I think that was the most sacks they gave up all year. Maybe because this was the first time they all played together they needed a game like this to get on the same page. Let's hope so. All their remaining division games are on the road. Regardless, the playoffs are within reach, I never thought I'd be saying that in 2019.

Go Raiders!

Users who are viewing this thread