Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hankmoody

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread

Ugh.  I don't understand this signing,.  I mean, I do, but not really. Kinda sorta....

Burfict is a very good football player to be sure.  But I will admit, he's one of the few guys I can say I really hate.  There's cheap and there's cheap.  Many of his hits are truly and horrifically beyond the scope of the rules, and if i'm honest, look like he's intentionally trying to injure the other player.  I'm an old school guy and like the hard hits of yore.  But a lot of his hits clearly and obviously cross the line.  

The reason I don't truly get this signing is that, in all likelihood, the Raiders are going heavy on defense in the draft. This means lots of young guys in the locker room.  I appreciate they are trying to put a good product out there for 2019 and not make it look like they are 100% just setting up for Vegas in 2020.  But at what cost?  I'm not sure Burfict is the guy you want around all your young, impressionable players.

In the end, if Burfict can play his style of football and avoid the ridiculous, cheap hits that has warranted his much earned reputation, I will embrace him and be happy he's a Raider.  Unfortunately, my spidey sense is tingling on this one and I feel more like its just a matter of time until he does something stupid that both gets him suspended and/or costs us a huge 15 yard penalty in a crucial situation.  

4 hours ago, ICON211 said:

I think the Cards are absolutely taking Murray at 1.  Kingsbury was an out of the box hire and if you make him your coach I think you go all the way with him and his system and that means taking Murray.  Why hire Kingsbury then go halfway with him?  The only reason for them to fake interest in Murray would be to trade the pick to someone that does want him and in that case he would go 1 anyway.  

Agreed.  They also find themselves in a unique situation where they can draft the rookie QB the HC covets and get the full 5 years with their new QB, with the added benefit of *maybe* getting a 1st round pick back for Rosen, or equal value.   Thereby really offsetting any loss on previous investment.   Not to many teams get that chance to do a full reset, IMO they'd be silly to not do this if they have any remote doubt that Rosen is not the guy.

12 hours ago, krsone21 said:

I can't wait. I for one love the Burfict signing. 

He will bring much needed toughness (when he isn't suspended), but he will cost the team games as well.

7 hours ago, kaso said:

Agreed.  They also find themselves in a unique situation where they can draft the rookie QB the HC covets and get the full 5 years with their new QB, with the added benefit of *maybe* getting a 1st round pick back for Rosen, or equal value.   Thereby really offsetting any loss on previous investment.   Not to many teams get that chance to do a full reset, IMO they'd be silly to not do this if they have any remote doubt that Rosen is not the guy.

I'd be surprised if they were to get a 1st rounder for Rosen. I'd also be surprised to see them not take Kyler anyway.

A stingy old man once bought a bag of onions thinking they were oranges. A short while later a young boy saw this man sitting on the side of the road sniffling and sobbing as he bit heartily into an onion. The boy asked the man why he was eating a raw onion. The man responded, "because I spent good money on them."

Moral of the story: Josh Rosen's an onion.

• Like 1

How times have changed.... Burfict is a #####cat compared to an old Raiders legend, you know, "The Assassin ", Jack Tatum. A man who almost killed a guy on the field during a preseason game. Burfict was brought in to instill some attitude on a defense that didn't scare anyone, even when Mack was on the team. Defense is all about attitude and desire. If a 30 year old trouble maker of a linebacker has any impact at all, hopefully it's in the nastiness department, because the defense could use some of that. This signing will go one of two ways: If positive, he'll contribute like Bowman. Or else he will be a non-factor like Derrick Johnson last year.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 2:55 AM, ICON211 said:

I think the Cards are absolutely taking Murray at 1.  Kingsbury was an out of the box hire and if you make him your coach I think you go all the way with him and his system and that means taking Murray.  Why hire Kingsbury then go halfway with him?  The only reason for them to fake interest in Murray would be to trade the pick to someone that does want him and in that case he would go 1 anyway.  

As far as the Jets and Niners I think either could trade down with a team that loves ones of the three defenders or Haskins.  As far as Haskins teams that could be in play for a QB and could move up to 2 or 3 are the Giants, Bengals, Dolphins and Redskins.  Or maybe the Niners or Jets have Quinnen as the best player on their board and he goes at 2 or 3 to one of them.

However, you very well could be right and Bosa and Allen could be gone.  In that scenario I would happily take Quinnen Williams at 4.  Unless the Raiders were completely and absolutely blown away by a trade offer I'd rather stay at 4 and draft Quinnen who might be the best player in the draft and could be a monster.  Give me the potential superstar rather than moving back for a lesser player and a second round pick or whatever.  We have three first rounders this year and two next year.  More picks are always great, but having all those ones means we can stay at 4 and go for the high ceiling superstar type player. 

As to the bolded, not getting Murray doesn't mean that Kingsbury can't go "all the way" with his modified air raid system. For one, above all, Kingsbury is seen as a "QB whisperer" as opposed to an offensive guru (his record at Texas Tech speaks for itself in that regard). It wasn't just Murray he tutored, but guys like Keenum, Mahomes, Baker Mayfield and Davis Webb. So he can develop Rosen in the same way.

Second, his system employs a lot of shotgun snaps, stacked and/or decoy receivers, and quick passes to the edge or return/whip routes to get receivers utilizing space. He also consistently changed his offenses depending on who the QB or WRs were to take advantage of their skills. So it's not exactly "one" system.

Rosen actually plays well out of the shotgun when given the chance to get to the top of his drop. Utilizing a quick passing offense puts Rosen in a much better position than the constant 2nd/3rd and longs he constantly had to deal with. Rosen can also handle the play action fairly well, but again, you can only run this when your offense is clicking, which it wasn't -- especially the run game -- last year.

All this leads me to say that the perception that Kingsbury NEEDS Murray and vice versa forms the perfect smokescreen -- it's not exactly true that Murray is a no-brainer for ARI with the #1 pick. Trading out allows ARI to pick up extra picks to pair a top flight WR with Christian Kirk and build competency in the offensive line to draft solid pass pro guards and tackles to protect Rosen more.

ARI could very well draft Murray, that's absolutely possible, maybe probable. But if they do trade down, I think it's better for their team as it will be hard to get value for Rosen, and they need to rebuild -- they are going into the draft with 11 picks, and trading back could get them one more in the first or second rounds.

To the point we both made, if ARI does trade back, that takes just one team out of the equation. It's possible that Giants look to get ahead for Haskins, but unless the Bucs are in the market, he'll be there for them. Not sure the Redskins won't just go with Keenum, and I haven't heard the Bengals in the talk around Murray, and that's certainly possible -- though Dalton still has tread on arm and body and has a workable contract. 

We'll see. I guess I want to be realistic in expectations. Q. Williams would be great as a blue chip player, but just trying to balance that against our EDGE need.

Is Williams, the consensus #1 DT, better than getting a Top 5 EDGE? He may be - the thing I liked to see was how successful Williams was lining up all over the line -- but mostly in interior slanted stunts, in 3-tech, and all around the nose and guards. Not so much around the corner, which is what we desperately need. Maybe Williams' unique and flexible skill set makes up for that need. But in these days of specialization, not sure what we give up by not going EDGE there.

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors

Heard we just signed Landry Jones.

In addition to putting an end to all the ridiculous Raiders drafting Murray crud, shows solid commitment to Carr, and lets us focus on true areas of need - starter and depth - in the draft.

13 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Heard we just signed Landry Jones.

In addition to putting an end to all the ridiculous Raiders drafting Murray crud, shows solid commitment to Carr, and lets us focus on true areas of need - starter and depth - in the draft.

Agreed. Let’s go D, D, D and then one of RB/WR/TE with our first 4 picks. Keep those rookie QBs away. 

• Like 2

Free agent RB Isaiah Crowell will visit the Raiders on Thursday.

This will be Crowell's first visit since being released by the Jets 12 days ago after the team signed Le'Veon Bell. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, coach Jon Gruden is "hoping" to add Crowell to the Raiders' backfield mix.

RELATED: 

Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Hell yeah. This would be an excellent signing IMO.

• Like 2

The Oakland troubles which threw uncertainty into the mix for where the Raiders would play in 2019 may lead to a direct benefit to ME!  The Winnipeg Football Club (local organization here) is in talks to bring a NFL preseason game to Winnipeg... one that would feature the Packers and Raiders... The date they are looking at is August 23rd, which would be the 3rd week, and arguably the best preseason game to watch.   Never the less, to be able to watch the Raiders in my hometown about 45 minutes away from my house is AWESOME!

Edited by kaso
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kaso said:

The Oakland troubles which threw uncertainty into the mix for where the Raiders would play in 2019 may lead to a direct benefit to ME!  The Winnipeg Football Club (local organization here) is in talks to bring a NFL preseason game to Winnipeg... one that would feature the Packers and Raiders... The date they are looking at is August 23rd, which would be the 3rd week, and arguably the best preseason game to watch.   Never the less, to be able to watch the Raiders in my hometown about 45 minutes away from my house is AWESOME!

I just read this too and hope it is a go. I'm in Regina today and heard from some locals that they are out of the running because it won't line up with the Riders schedule. Fingers crossed the Bombers don't mess this up for us!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LawFitz said:

Free agent RB Isaiah Crowell will visit the Raiders on Thursday.

This will be Crowell's first visit since being released by the Jets 12 days ago after the team signed Le'Veon Bell. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, coach Jon Gruden is "hoping" to add Crowell to the Raiders' backfield mix.

RELATED: 

Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Hell yeah. This would be an excellent signing IMO.

Crowell is a hard one to figure out. He's always been fairly productive in terms of YPC, and was one of the only offensive highlights on the 0-16 2016 team, but he's not a 1K season/100 ypg type starter, and his last (and arguably only) decent (though still not standout) year was in 2016.

He joined the Jets last year and looked like he could be off to a torrid start, with 4 TDs in 3 games, and scorching the Broncos in WK 5 with 219 yards. Then he went ice cold with 295 yards and only 1 TD over the next 8 games. He's normally durable, but missed his first career game with a toe injury and was placed on IR for the rest of the season.

He became expendable on the Jets after they signed Bell, but also wonder if the team was looking to shed him as well given how critical he was of the team not running enough, and his wipe-the-butt TD celly.

He's 26 so has some tread, but I'm not sure he's anything but depth.

It's depth we can use, but not sure what his contract hit would be and if it's worth it given Crowell's inconsistency/unpredictability.

1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Crowell is a hard one to figure out. He's always been fairly productive in terms of YPC, and was one of the only offensive highlights on the 0-16 2016 team, but he's not a 1K season/100 ypg type starter, and his last (and arguably only) decent (though still not standout) year was in 2016.

He joined the Jets last year and looked like he could be off to a torrid start, with 4 TDs in 3 games, and scorching the Broncos in WK 5 with 219 yards. Then he went ice cold with 295 yards and only 1 TD over the next 8 games. He's normally durable, but missed his first career game with a toe injury and was placed on IR for the rest of the season.

He became expendable on the Jets after they signed Bell, but also wonder if the team was looking to shed him as well given how critical he was of the team not running enough, and his wipe-the-butt TD celly.

He's 26 so has some tread, but I'm not sure he's anything but depth.

It's depth we can use, but not sure what his contract hit would be and if it's worth it given Crowell's inconsistency/unpredictability.

I'm with you Crowell is JAG.  He's a serviceable, decent back, but nothing special and not a difference maker.  Even at this point I think Marshawn is at least as good as him and probably better.  I'd be very excited if the Raiders drafted Josh Jacobs.  I think he is going to be a special back.

Michael Gehlken
‏@GehlkenNFL
Raiders still in the linebacker market. Brandon Marshall to visit on Thursday, per @mikeklis. Marshall started 63 games for the Broncos the past five years.

19 hours ago, ICON211 said:

I'm with you Crowell is JAG.  He's a serviceable, decent back, but nothing special and not a difference maker.  Even at this point I think Marshawn is at least as good as him and probably better.  I'd be very excited if the Raiders drafted Josh Jacobs.  I think he is going to be a special back.

Well, he's a Raider now...

We'll see if he's a JAG. I don't think he is, but his contract tells me the NFL thinks he is.

Personally I'd rather have had the other NYJ RB Powell who is still a FA. Seems like a better fit for Gruden's system but not sure if he's even an upgrade to Richard.

I like Crowell.  He is a good but not spectacular RB and will contribute right away.   He isn't going to be getting 15 touches or more each week but can get tough yards and add consistency to the running game 

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I like Crowell.  He is a good but not spectacular RB and will contribute right away.   He isn't going to be getting 15 touches or more each week but can get tough yards and add consistency to the running game 

Yep. If Lynch isn't coming back they need a guy to run between the tackles. Richard found his niche in Gruden's offense catching passes out of the backfield. Washington hasn't really found a role and Warren is a huge question mark right now. If he says healthy and tears it up again in preseason he, Crowell and Richard would be a decent group. 

Love the signings.  Burfict can stay or go as his suspensions status merits.  Crowell and Marshall are a couple of nice medium-budget value seeking picks.  Neither will hurt us, but those guys both at one point have been very productive.  This league isn't just about getting superstars, you need 18 other guys out there with them and then 12 more to cover injuries.  These are some quality ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

Love the signings.  Burfict can stay or go as his suspensions status merits.  Crowell and Marshall are a couple of nice medium-budget value seeking picks.  Neither will hurt us, but those guys both at one point have been very productive.  This league isn't just about getting superstars, you need 18 other guys out there with them and then 12 more to cover injuries.  These are some quality ones.

this post made me search to realize that the Marshall signing is official. 1 year deal. I read he's a Vegas native, so hopefully he plays well and is motivated to "go home" next year on an extension deal.

This offseason has been unexpectedly exciting and causing this odd feeling of, um, what's it called?...oh yeah, OPTIMISM about the coming year.

Dream draft:

Bosa
Jawaan Taylor
Marquise Brown
Jeffrey Simmons

Preferred realistic draft:

Trade down to 13 to add a 2nd
Ferrell
OT - Cody Ford
Deandre Baker
Hakeem Butler
David Montgomery or Damien Harris

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, One said:

Allen is a stud,  but viewed more as an OLB in 3-4 that drops into coverage, than a DE who rushes the passer. 

Perfect for the Jets new scheme.  (Who pick right before us at #3). 

Poppycock.  Dude is a beast speed rusher and I want him in a dead-heat with Bosa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The consistency is the bit that is up in the air for me. No doubt he'll provide some needed depth.

Not sure what final terms are, but heard it is up to $2.5M for one-year.

So I wonder if swinging the same deal for Jordan Howard -- a 2020 6th and taking on the ~$2M on the last year of his rookie deal -- would have been more forward leaning in providing both contribution right away, and longer term depth.

Either way, like the continuing trend of signing short term cheaper one-year contracts to limit cap exposure, and provide some workable depth at positions of need.

Really love what the Raiders have done throughout preseason so far.

I'm glad to see Oliver put up such a good pro day. It gives us a sure fire Defensive Player if somehow Murray falls, or gives us a shot if we move down to 6.  I've been a big fan of the way Brandon Marshall plays for years. He's had a lot of good games against us, I love this signing. I am loving this offseason too. 

The Raiders announced the signing of free agent Luke Willson on Friday.

Luke Willson spent the previous season with the Lions, where he caught 13 passes for 87 yards and no touchdowns. All were career lows for Willson, whose role was a bit greater during his five years with the Seahawks.

With 102 career catches and 11 touchdowns, the 29-year-old part-time starter instantly becomes Oakland's most proven pass catcher at tight end. He figures to be a piece of the tight end puzzle the Raiders are still assembling this offseason in the wake of losing Cook -- he was Derek Carr's favorite target last season as he caught a career-best 68 passes. Of course, the additions of wide receivers Antonio Brown and Tyrell Williams change the complexion of Oakland's passing game as well.

Other tight ends on the roster include veterans Lee Smith and Darren Waller and 2018 undrafted free agent Paul Butler.

Edited by SDJohnny
fix cut & paste mistake

Let’s raise a glass to ex-Raider Shane Lechler who announced his retirement. 

In a few years, Shane will be the 2nd Raider punter in the HOF.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, joey said:

Let’s raise a glass to ex-Raider Shane Lechler who announced his retirement. 

In a few years, Shane will be the 2nd Raider punter in the HOF.

He was the only Raider to make it to the pro bowl for years in the mid to late 2000 and early teens. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bruno2 said:

He was the only Raider to make it to the pro bowl for years in the mid to late 2000 and early teens. 

Do not remind me of those years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Do not remind me of those years.

the police were called to the bar i was in, after a home loss.  i wouldn't stop chanting lechler...lechler...lecher.  i was going on and on about lechler   another raider fan, took exception to my cheering for the only player worth a #### on the team.  the cops took me in the back and laughed with me, as it was true.  the other dude, got taken in, due his belligerence with the cops.  

• Like 1

The move we all saw coming has been made official.  Seth Roberts has been released by the Raiders.

That WR Group has undertaken a pretty aggressive makeover compared to where the team was this time last year. 

Roberts was dropped like a quick slant over the middle, pun very intended. 

For what it's worth ..I think the Burfect signing is somewhat genius. Although I am no longer a rabid fan of the LA chargers, I do want what once was. The games between those two teams were magical. I miss that. If the Raider mistique revives I'll be one happy S.O.B. ...I think it will not though , Burfect may be a mirage in the hot baked desert. One filled with the broken bones of the likes of Lyle. I miss players like Lyle. 

So Mayock said the Raiders will consider a QB in the first round if they saw someone they like better than Carr or had a higher upside.  Sometimes it's better to say nothing and keep quiet.  

But I would be fine doing that if they could get a 1 or 2 for Carr as long as they didn't take Drew Lock.  I do not like what I see from him and don't think he will be good at all.

1 hour ago, ICON211 said:

So Mayock said the Raiders will consider a QB in the first round if they saw someone they like better than Carr or had a higher upside.  Sometimes it's better to say nothing and keep quiet.  

But I would be fine doing that if they could get a 1 or 2 for Carr as long as they didn't take Drew Lock.  I do not like what I see from him and don't think he will be good at all.

I'm hoping it's all just pre draft smokescreen talk.

Carr is a good QB, he's proven he can play. Give him some stability instead of changing OCs every year. An Oline he can trust again (playing with two rookie tackles was uncalled for IMO). A running game and some sort of defense that can stop opposing teams so he doesn't feel like they need to score 40+ points every week and I bet he becomes a solid starter in the mold of Rich Gannon or Alex Smith.

I may be biased, I've always been a Carr backer. He's started from day one with some God-awful squads and has been a model citizen and hasn't complained publicly about it once. He's been subject to a couple complete rebuilds before the age of 30, a broken leg, broken back and has yet to even hit his prime. Let's give the kid a chance. 

All signs seem to point to Gruden sticking with Carr. All the AB and Carr "bonding" videos circulating, the signing of a veteran backup in Glennon. The acquisition of Trent Brown are solid hints they are still committed to building around him. 

If Bosa, Allen and Williams are gone by the time they pick at #4 I hope they can fleece a QB hungry team and trade back and compile more picks. There are so many holes on this roster, finding a QB is the least of this team's worries. 

• Like 2

I would cream my jeans if they went with Haskins over Carr.  Get 1.06 and a 2nd from NYG for Carr, draft Haskins at 4 and EDGE at 6.

2 hours ago, Bruno2 said:

I'm hoping it's all just pre draft smokescreen talk.

Listening to and watching the press conference, Mayock was answering a direct question.  To me the answer was more to speak to the fact that you don't discount a prospect because of who is on the team.  And he was speaking to the evaluation, due diligence and need to make the best decision for the team throughout the draft process.  Unfortunately it happened the question and answer included the QB position... in already muddied media waters.    

• Like 1

Article saying the Raiders should stay at their current picks and not trade up or down.  Completely agree and think trading down from 4 if one of the big 3 defensive players is there would be a huge mistake.

https://www.chicoer.com/2019/04/13/why-raiders-should-stay-put-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/

Edited by ICON211
added link

9 hours ago, ICON211 said:

Article saying the Raiders should stay at their current picks and not trade up or down.  Completely agree and think trading down from 4 if one of the big 3 defensive players is there would be a huge mistake.

https://www.chicoer.com/2019/04/13/why-raiders-should-stay-put-in-first-round-of-nfl-draft/

I agree that they should stick with 4 if one of the top defensive players is there unless they get a huge haul of picks they can't refuse. Let's face it this team still needs plenty of work and the more picks the merrier.

I do think they should absolutely trade down from 24 or 27 just a little bit and get a 3rd round pick back at the very least. There are a lot of good players that will still be available in the 3rd round and I would like to have one of those darts.

Ok.  I'm locking in what I want for the draft.  Two options, in order.

1.  Trade back from 4.  

2.  If staying at 4.  Then in this order, I prefer Nick Bosa (won't be there), Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, Devin White. 

Bosa should by all accounts go second to the 49ers.  Unless they balk at his Pro-Trump tweeting (kidding!)
Williams has a shot at hitting 4.  But could be snagged at 3 by the Jets.
Allen and White should both be there at 4.  However if the Raiders find a trade partner and move back a few spots (I haven't spent any amount of time looking at the validity of this) and still land White.  I'm all for it.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, Hankmoody said:

I would cream my jeans if they went with Haskins over Carr.  Get 1.06 and a 2nd from NYG for Carr, draft Haskins at 4 and EDGE at 6.

No one is paying a 1st for Carr.  1st+?  Put the pipe down.

1 hour ago, Shawnky said:

No one is paying a 1st for Carr.  1st+?  Put the pipe down.

Just like no one was paying 5 players + 6 picks for Hershel Walker.  Until they did.  Or "giving away" Trent Richardson for a late 1st.  Until they did.  This is a QB in a QB-driven league we're talking about.  You're welcome to your opinion but no one knows what an NFL team will be willing to do so there's no reason to be a jackwad about it.

5 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

1-4 is a real possibility.  So is 1-6. Terrible schedule. 

I know it's only April, but I can't see them winning a single game. Right now the schedule means nothing....

Such a brutal start of the season. Also what did I miss that we only have 2 preseason games but seems like the rest of the league is playing 4 games as normal?

11 minutes ago, Shawnky said:
9 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Just like no one was paying 5 players + 6 picks for Hershel Walker.  Until they did.  Or "giving away" Trent Richardson for a late 1st.  Until they did.  This is a QB in a QB-driven league we're talking about.  You're welcome to your opinion but no one knows what an NFL team will be willing to do so there's no reason to be a jackwad about it.

Not being a jackwad.  Being realistic.  Pull your panties out of your crack.

Each of you needs to tone it down. Thanks.

• Like 1