What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (1 Viewer)

A lot of people smarter than me on this thread see Murray going to the Cards with the first pick. Although I'm not a Rosen backer I just don't see it.

But what are the possibilities of the Raiders and Cards swapping the 1 and the 4 so the Raiders can snatch Bosa from the 9ers with the Cards then taking Murray? What kind of compensation would the Cards want in addition to the 4?

Or is this scenario pretty much implausible?

A lot of people smarter than me on this thread see Murray going to the Cards with the first pick. Although I'm not a Rosen backer I just don't see it.

But what are the possibilities of the Raiders and Cards swapping the 1 and the 4 so the Raiders can snatch Bosa from the 9ers with the Cards then taking Murray? What kind of compensation would the Cards want in addition to the 4?

Or is this scenario pretty much implausible?
If Cards are taking Murray (I'd be shocked if they didn't) I don't think they would risk someone trading up ahead of 4 to draft him.  

Mayock and Gruden are under so much pressure to hit on these draft picks. I have to think trading up to go after one specific player is too risky. They need those picks in the worst way to build the foundation of the the team and fulfill their vision. If they stay put, they should get an elite player at #4 and three potential starters at 24, 27 and 35. I don't think theres anyone in this draft worth trading up from the 4 spot. 

Oooooooooooookay

JON GRUDENC, OAKLAND RAIDERS

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, scouts for the Raiders were sent home Friday and are not expected to return ahead of next week's draft.

Well this is a new one. Apparently new GM Mike Mayock, who was handpicked by Jon Gruden after forcing out Reggie McKenzie last year, isn't sure "who he can trust with his draft secrets." Yikes. This is either a monumental case of paranoia or the Raiders scouting department simply couldn't get on the same page. Purging the team's entire scouting presence six days before the draft is a bold strategy and clearly a power struggle is being waged deep inside the Oakland Coliseum. That's been the case since Gruden arrived from the broadcast booth last year. With three picks in the first round (Nos. 4, 24 and 27), the Raiders absolutely have to get this right.

Oooooooooooookay

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, scouts for the Raiders were sent home Friday and are not expected to return ahead of next week's draft.

Well this is a new one. Apparently new GM Mike Mayock, who was handpicked by Jon Gruden after forcing out Reggie McKenzie last year, isn't sure "who he can trust with his draft secrets." Yikes. This is either a monumental case of paranoia or the Raiders scouting department simply couldn't get on the same page. Purging the team's entire scouting presence six days before the draft is a bold strategy and clearly a power struggle is being waged deep inside the Oakland Coliseum. That's been the case since Gruden arrived from the broadcast booth last year. With three picks in the first round (Nos. 4, 24 and 27), the Raiders absolutely have to get this right.
This actually makes sense to me

People in Raiders organization leaked info last year to the media from what I have heard.

I wouldn't want to keep Reggie's twin and best friend (Clinkscales) in the draft room knowing the final draft board. They are likely gone after the draft and have nothing to lose if they were to leak info. This sounds like good  common sense to me by Jon and Mike.

This actually makes sense to me

People in Raiders organization leaked info last year to the media from what I have heard.

I wouldn't want to keep Reggie's twin and best friend (Clinkscales) in the draft room knowing the final draft board. They are likely gone after the draft and have nothing to lose if they were to leak info. This sounds like good  common sense to me by Jon and Mike.
Yes, I agree.  But why would you even have people scouting and working on the draft that you know are gone right after?  Are they going to give their honest opinions?  And then there is the whole leaking thing which leads me to believe some of the stuff that is out there about who they like this year is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooooooooookay

I see nothing wrong with this.  I’m actually thrilled with it with so many early picks at stake.  

This reads as typical Rotoworld crap-throwing at the Raiders.  

Daniel Jeremiah says it isn’t uncommon:

@MoveTheSticks:

When I started scouting in 2003, most teams allowed scouts and coaches to see the draft board. By 2012, most teams only allowed 3-4 people (HC/GM/Personnel Director/College Director) to have access to the board. This isn’t that unusual. https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1119274857080991745

I see nothing wrong with this.  I’m actually thrilled with it with so many early picks at stake.  

@MoveTheSticks:

When I started scouting in 2003, most teams allowed scouts and coaches to see the draft board. By 2012, most teams only allowed 3-4 people (HC/GM/Personnel Director/College Director) to have access to the board. This isn’t that unusual. https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1119274857080991745
To add, Gil Brandt tweeted this:

We never cleared the room but sometimes we'd lay traps for scouts we didn't trust. In 1987 we showed our board to a scout with us taking Mike Junkin, a LB we didn't like. Two days later, Cowboys beat writer Jim Dent wrote story saying we were taking Junkin. Hook, line, stinker.

No one is paying a 1st for Carr.  1st+?  Put the pipe down.
Dude, this post is more than a little #####. First rule: Try to be excellent to each other.

To your point, nobody thought the Raiders would get a 1st round pick for Cooper either. Ya never know. 

• Smile
Reactions: One
I wonder if the Raiders would consider trading 24 or 27 for Frank Clark.  That would be one way to address the pass rush off the edge, but you'd have to pay him.

I wonder if the Raiders would consider trading 24 or 27 for Frank Clark.  That would be one way to address the pass rush off the edge, but you'd have to pay him.
Two 1sts and a huge paycheck for a pass rusher!? Might as well have kept Mack. 

24 or 27 not both.  But I agree even only one and a huge contract is a lot.  Trading Mack was a mistake, but that is over and done, can't let that affect current decisions.  I was just wondering if that is something they might consider.

@MoveTheSticks:

Agreed One.   Nothing of note in that report.  But staple the Raiders org against it, put a slant in the story that it's an issue or different than any other team,... and BOOM.. headline!

24 or 27 not both.  But I agree even only one and a huge contract is a lot.  Trading Mack was a mistake, but that is over and done, can't let that affect current decisions.  I was just wondering if that is something they might consider.
My mistake, I misread your post. I still don't think Gruden wants to spend a lot of money on pass rushers. Hes proven that. 

ICON211 said:
Give them the 35th overall pick and call it a day.

I have been so not worried about the draft this year.  Figure Arizona takes Murray and Oakland is guaranteed Bosa, Williams or Allen.  Color me happy.  Unscrewupable (word of the day).  Now, all this rumor about a possible surprise or mystery pick.  I'm not the biggest Carr fan in the world but if we don't take one of these 3 guys if any of them are still there at 4 and we go QB there, I may go postal. 

I have been so not worried about the draft this year.  Figure Arizona takes Murray and Oakland is guaranteed Bosa, Williams or Allen.  Color me happy.  Unscrewupable (word of the day).  Now, all this rumor about a possible surprise or mystery pick.  I'm not the biggest Carr fan in the world but if we don't take one of these 3 guys if any of them are still there at 4 and we go QB there, I may go postal. 
Agreed.  And if Arizona doesn't take Murray and all three are gone then I would want Ed Oliver.

Agreed.  And if Arizona doesn't take Murray and all three are gone then I would want Ed Oliver.
yeah, I was digging the last 2-3 weeks of mocks that all seemed to lock AZ in with the Murray pick, which meant we were guaranteed one of the Big 3 defenders.

Now with the tide swinging back to the AZ not taking Murray, I'm seeing mocks that either have us taking Murray (ugh) or us taking one of Gary (worrisome) or Oliver (unsure) or D White LB (intrigued to finally have a "game changing LB" for the first time in forever).

If AZ takes Murray first overall, I feel like I can breath a sigh of relief...at which point the Raiders will kick me in the nuts 3 picks later by overthinking and doing something "unique" and stupid.

There is going to a great D player available at 4.   All the Raiders have to do is select that player.  The early part of the draft isn't rocket science.   No need to overthink it or do something surprising.   You take the great player on D (that just happens to be where the Raiders are in desperate need of talent).  

There is going to a great D player available at 4.   All the Raiders have to do is select that player.  The early part of the draft isn't rocket science.   No need to overthink it or do something surprising.   You take the great player on D (that just happens to be where the Raiders are in desperate need of talent).  
From your mouth to god's ears. 

If the top 3 defensive players go 1,2,3, I actually wouldn't hate us grabbing Murray. At least give us an exciting playmaker with the ball in his hands every play or if someone wants to give us their 1st this year and their 1st next year to move up I again wouldn't hate it. Seems like there would have to be something truly atrocious to mess up something at #4.

If we take Murray at #4 there would probably be teams offering us a trade to get him.  If the offer isn't good enough then we keep him and dump Carr after this year.

If Cards are taking Murray (I'd be shocked if they didn't) I don't think they would risk someone trading up ahead of 4 to draft him.  
I figured the 9ers and Jets were so desperate for top-notch D help, they'd probably stay put. But I see what you're talking about. The Cards probably couldn't afford to take that risk.

This is what I hope Mayock is there for and his influence is felt—to keep Gruden from doing some off the wall thing.

If the top 3 defensive players go 1,2,3, I actually wouldn't hate us grabbing Murray. At least give us an exciting playmaker with the ball in his hands every play or if someone wants to give us their 1st this year and their 1st next year to move up I again wouldn't hate it. Seems like there would have to be something truly atrocious to mess up something at #4.
I really could see Gruden taking Murray the more I think about it for the reason you stated. And he'd rationalize by saying, "Hey, I've still got 3 of the next 31 picks to shore up the D."

And I think Gruden thinks he's enough of an offensive genius that he's thinking, "Give me Murray and we'll score so many points we won't need much of a defense." I think he clearly sees Murray as Mahomes 2.0 and he's salivating at a chance to coach that.

Here's my take.  If the top 3 stud D guys are gone, we do one of two things.  We either trade down and gain a bunch of additional trade stock or we use the pick and take Oliver or White.  Our defense just has too many needs and getting an exciting, young stud D player will help take some of the sting out of the Mack trade.  If we do that, we have a few options.  We use one of our other or both of our other first round picks or some other combo to move up in the first round and take the QB we like.  If Murray is really there at 4 and we go D, if we move up a handful of spots from 17, we should be able to get either Murray, Haskins or Lock.  I'm thinking Gruden has a hard on for Lock so moving up slightly from, or heck, even standing pat and hope on of these guys falls to us is the way to go.  Yes, getting an exciting Murray at QB would be great.  Just not at number 4.  Defense has too many needs and Carr has shown he can be a top level QB.  I really, really hope Arizona takes Murray, and the Jets like Allen better than Williams, leaving Williams for us.  That would be my X/Mas come early.  Not to much to ask for.....

The Raiders signed Burfict and Marshall this offseason so I am having a hard time believing they would spend the #4 pick on a LB. Is White really that much of a game changer?

The Raiders signed Burfict and Marshall this offseason so I am having a hard time believing they would spend the #4 pick on a LB. Is White really that much of a game changer?
Off the top of my head both are 1 year deals.  I don't think either signing would prevent the Raiders from drafting White if they feel he was their guy at 4.

Somehow noted Raider hater Michael Silver is leaking inside info on Twitter today about Mayock conducting a mock draft and picking two players from each side of the ball. He also implies that he knows the exact names, but won't disclose that publicly. WTF

If they trade up for Murray, I will burn ####.
Hee-hee. You guys kill me. Reminds me so much of me 45 years ago. I probably would have gone insane if the internet was around then (much like many of you are now).
Some NFL Films music came up on my iTunes at work. I’d suggest you dial some up, relax and “let the draft come to you.”
It’s gonna be fun!! Enjoy the ride!! You're fans—not fanatics!! Well, most of you... 😉

Gee that's nice. In the meantime, we're still utterly screwed.

Our schedule really is unconscionable and can't be defended from any perspective this year. And all we get is an "oops" from the league. My only solace is that preseason SoS becomes meaningless once the season begins and the teams actually play. But the consecutive road games and miles needed to travel is utter ########.

Tying together some posts, agree that Ed Oliver is the guy to take if Bosa, Allen, and Williams are gone. DLine is much more important and valuable in the NFL than LB regardless of our constant need for a strong presence in the LB corps. 

And I heard whispers that the reason they cleared out the scouts from the war room was due to leaks about Oliver's visit with the Raiders. Either way, good of Maycock and Gruden to tighten this up prior to the draft. There could be a lot of movement in the top picks this year, and no need to telegraph our intentions.

Speaking of intentions, that better not be taking Murray. I think that would be the biggest waste of a pick and the opportunity we have to maximize our 1st round draft picks. Getting a QB with non-ideal measurables in an underwhelming QB draft class now seems moronic if we can wait and see how Carr does this year, and target more QBs next year when the stock is arguable much better across the board.

I would absolutely hate it if we went Murray given that sitting at #4 gives us a no-brainer blue chip defender guaranteed. As much of a no-brainer as when Mack fell to us.

What the Chiefs doled out for Clark makes our Mack deal look that much more sensible. Sucks we'll have to play Frank Clark twice every year, but he isn't the talent Mack is and CHiefs had to pay dearly for it.

In the meantime, Seahawks have a similar ability to rebuild as we do -- they have picks 21, 29, 92, 124 and 159 this year, and potentially up to 12 picks in 2020 — 7 of its own, a 2nd round pick from the Chiefs, and 4 expected compensatory picks from shedding free agents this past year. 

Faust just posted something in the 2019 thread that Oakland is making a surprise pick

prepare yourselves
And that scares me to death.   I'm removing all sharp objects from my house to prepare for the draft.   

Personally I'm hoping for Quinnen Williams  (or Josh Allen) at 1.04.   1.24 I'd prefer CBs Byron Murphy or DeAndre Baker, and at 1.27 Clemson studs Clelin Ferrell or Dexter Lawrence.   I'd be okay with Irv Smith at 1.27 too; sort of a Jordan Reed type of TE (hopefully without the injuries).   

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Speaking of intentions, that better not be taking Murray. I think that would be the biggest waste of a pick and the opportunity we have to maximize our 1st round draft picks. Getting a QB with non-ideal measurables in an underwhelming QB draft class now seems moronic if we can wait and see how Carr does this year, and target more QBs next year when the stock is arguable much better across the board.

I would absolutely hate it if we went Murray given that sitting at #4 gives us a no-brainer blue chip defender guaranteed. As much of a no-brainer as when Mack fell to us.
I'll defer to your knowledge of the draft class. I was going by the assumption that the top 3 were the real "locks" of the draft and after that there wasn't anyone that measured up to a Mack type prospect. But I'll gladly accept being misinformed and be able to add a surefire stud to the D over a QB.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/22/raiders-film-room-wr-marquise-hollywood-brown/

Cross post from the Marquise Brown thread.

Depending if he falls enough, could be kind of interesting. If there is anyone that AB will take under his wing and try to hold to his work ethic standards it should be his cousin. Of course he'll probably also hand down some of his undesirable traits but would be an interesting flyer depending on the round and a nice tip of the cap to Al.

Hope they trade back for the simple fact that I’ll be less annoyed at the reach pick they make later in the 1st than I would at 4.

Hope they trade back for the simple fact that I’ll be less annoyed at the reach pick they make later in the 1st than I would at 4.
Yeah, if they truly are all fired up about Ed Oliver, I hope they trade down a couple spots and take him there instead of 4.

Yeah, if they truly are all fired up about Ed Oliver, I hope they trade down a couple spots and take him there instead of 4.
If there is a guy they really like they should just take him at 4.  Ed Oliver could very easily go anywhere from 3 on.  If they trade down there is no guarantee any of the teams picking in the 5-8 range even want to trade up and they may end up trading back further than that and having their guy get picked.  If someone offers a package that they can't refuse fine, but I'm not into trading back to pick up say a third round pick. 

If there is a guy they really like they should just take him at 4.  Ed Oliver could very easily go anywhere from 3 on.  If they trade down there is no guarantee any of the teams picking in the 5-8 range even want to trade up and they may end up trading back further than that and having their guy get picked.  If someone offers a package that they can't refuse fine, but I'm not into trading back to pick up say a third round pick. 
I see your point. But if they trade back in the middle of the first and are targeting guys like Hockinson and Fant at say....15 because the Skins want Haskins, I can live with that as long as they have a shot at defensive players like Ferrell, Wilkins or a top DB later in the 1st round. 

Users who are viewing this thread