Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hankmoody

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread

I see 4 blue chip defenders in this draft: Bosa, Williams, Oliver, White. There will most definitely be other studs that emerge, but I think these four have the safest floors, at an elite level.

That said, Williams and Oliver are redundant for Oakland, so I'm hoping for White, as the widely reported "surprise pick" at 4.

As for 24 and 27, I'd prefer more defenders and/or N'Keal Harry. That dude is terribly underrated coming into this draft IMO. I see him as the best WR prospect by far.

Also, the best move would be to trade 24 or 27 to some QB-hungry team for their 2nd this year and their 1st in 2020. I feel like this exact trade happens every other year for the smartest teams picking at the back third of round 1, by taking advantage of some desperate team. Let's have it happen for the Raiders for once!

35 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

That said, Williams and Oliver are redundant for Oakland, so I'm hoping for White, as the widely reported "surprise pick" at 4.

I hope that that's how "surprising" it is, and not some insane backroom deal that has us drafting Haskins and trading him to the other Gruden in WAS.

Between Oliver and White, I'm torn. As I think DT is generally more valuable a commodity than LB, and I don't know either deeply enough to say that comparative to each other, or to others at the position, one would be much better to select. But would be happy with either.

7 hours ago, RG623 said:

Hope they trade back for the simple fact that I’ll be less annoyed at the reach pick they make later in the 1st than I would at 4.

Haha! The Raiders are perceived as the guppies of the NFL draft while sharks (like the hoodie) wait to see what clumsy moves they make so that more quality players fall to them.

But there's a new sheriff in town who pulls a lot of weight (Raider fans hope anyway). I'm afraid Gruden's draft record leaves me less than encouraged and that Mayock will have a lot of sway in what goes down.

Alright it's almost time. I know some people (I hope some people) will be very thrilled with what happens tonight and over the weekend. And I know some people will be really unhappy.

Either way I'll enjoy all the takes here from so many informed people.

I think the football gods will smile on the Raiders. Call it payback for not tanking games last year when it would have been very easy to do for a better draft position.

Jets Beat Writer:

The #Jets & #Raiders have talked about a trade involving a swap of the No. 3 and No. 4 pick, per sources.

Source: https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1121532443348078594

This is either a smokescreen put out there to pressure someone else to trade up to 3 (to take Haskins) so that Williams falls to the Raiders at 4; or

Gruyock is in love with one of Haskins or Oliver and determined to get their guy.

I think all the QB talk is smokescreen. That 13 total sacks last year has to be addressed. They get an elite defender at 4. Mayock can't screw that up unless Gruden falls off his rocker and pulls rank on him. The back end of the 1st will be very interesting. There are so many directions they could go. TE, OL, DB, RB or trade back. The possibilities are virtually endless. Where's my popcorn?

The talk of Haskins flying up the Raiders board is either Rapoport just making something up , put out there by Gruden and Mayock to try to make someone move up to 3 for Haskins as had been stated, or put out there to see what they can get for the 4 from a team that wants Haskins.  They sent all the scouts home so who is leaking this?  And all of a sudden the day of the draft Haskins is flying up their board?

4 minutes ago, ICON211 said:

The talk of Haskins flying up the Raiders board is either Rapoport just making something up , put out there by Gruden and Mayock to try to make someone move up to 3 for Haskins as had been stated, or put out there to see what they can get for the 4 from a team that wants Haskins.  They sent all the scouts home so who is leaking this?  And all of a sudden the day of the draft Haskins is flying up their board?

Exactly! Carr is our QB for one more year at least. AB would not have come to Oakland to play with a rookie QB. Could you believe the drama?

Seeing the Raiders do not have a pick from 36 to 105, I'd bet the house (modest) that will change tonight.

Trading with Jets makes sense if Cards don’t take Murray, otherwise why bother?

It’s not as if that guarantees them getting the one guy that they love above all the rest. Otherwise just trade with the Cards.

1 hour ago, Bruno2 said:

I think all the QB talk is smokescreen. That 13 total sacks last year has to be addressed. They get an elite defender at 4. Mayock can't screw that up unless Gruden falls off his rocker and pulls rank on him. The back end of the 1st will be very interesting. There are so many directions they could go. TE, OL, DB, RB or trade back. The possibilities are virtually endless. Where's my popcorn?

Agree the back half will be interesting. I think we’ll see a CB run happen at around the 20s so that might help us if we’re not looking that way, or force us to take a corner earlier than we might want to.

38 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Trading with Jets makes sense if Cards don’t take Murray, otherwise why bother?

It’s not as if that guarantees them getting the one guy that they love above all the rest. Otherwise just trade with the Cards.

It makes sense if they want either Williams or Bosa and are down on Allen. 

Wow, I nailed that in our FBG mock 

Clelin Ferrell is a damn good player. Somewhat surprised. I wanted Allen but not crushed over Ferrell. Again, wish we could have traded down but you need a partner to dance with you to do that. 

• Like 1

😂

dumb and dumber strike.  Now they can complete their moronic draft taking Jacobs in the 1st.

• Like 2

I like the player a lot.  Would have liked him a lot more at 24 or 27.  Really wanted Allen there.  Hope they prove me wrong.

Reach? No. He was considered a mid 1st round selection. If they could have traded back they likely could have still got him but if they believe he is better and/or fits better than Allen then why would you not select him there? 

• Like 1

Just now, ICON211 said:

I like the player a lot.  Would have liked him a lot more at 24 or 27.  Really wanted Allen there.  Hope they prove me wrong.

Pretty much where I am at with it. 

1 minute ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

You can't tell me they couldn't have snagged a 4 from the Giants to move back 2.

Exactly. Taking Ferrell there wasted the opportunity to trade down and still potentially get him (assuming there was a taker).

I get consensus boards are always different from what a team may be thinking, but can’t not be a little disappointed at what seems like ceding value - from our team, and to others.

2 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Reach? No. He was considered a mid 1st round selection. If they could have traded back they likely could have still got him but if they believe he is better and/or fits better than Allen then why would you not select him there? 

Pretty much where I am at with it. 

Confused. If he is a mid-rounder, and you think he would have been ideal at 24/27, how is that not a reach?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcgangstas said:

Clelin Ferrell is a good player, but at 1.04  that's a bit of a reach with Josh Allen still available.   

Raiders have to draft a pure edge rusher 

4 minutes ago, Bruno2 said:

Hey... it wasn't Haskins 

I would have thrown up if they did that.    

Don't screw up 24 and 27, please!!!  

Year after year, decade after decade this team tries to show how smart they are by going against the grain. 90% they end up with egg on their face. We talk about situational awareness for players but we can talk about it with GMs  too. Mayock/Gruden could have moved back 10 spots and still got this guy.  Very disappointing.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDJohnny said:

Year after year, decade after decade this team tries to show how smart they are by going against the grain. 90% they end up with egg on their face. We talk about situational awareness for players but we can talk about it with GMs  too. Mayock/Gruden could have moved back 10 spots and still got this guy.  Very disappointing.  

I'm still pissed about passing on Derwin James last year and taking a stiff like Kolton Miller.   

Just now, dcgangstas said:

I'm still pissed about passing on Derwin James last year and taking a stiff like Kolton Miller.   

Yes. Kolton will still IMHO be an NFL caliber starter. But that was more of a reach in terms of need and BPA than this year.

But Ferrell is still a reach at 4 with Allen and White still on the board.

1 minute ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Yes. Kolton will still IMHO be an NFL caliber starter. But that was more of a reach in terms of need and BPA than this year.

But Ferrell is still a reach at 4 with Allen and White still on the board.

And that is why the Raiders will be drafting early next year as well.  

12 minutes ago, dcgangstas said:

I would have thrown up if they did that.    

Don't screw up 24 and 27, please!!!  

They will screw it up.  A media personality is running the team.  

Jacobs and Metcalf at 24/27.  If they do that I will laugh so hard.

9 hours ago, RG623 said:

Hope they trade back for the simple fact that I’ll be less annoyed at the reach pick they make later in the 1st than I would at 4.

You can almost set your watch to it every year with this team.

Was it a reach? Yeah probably. Maybe they couldn't find a trading partner. They obviously liked Ferrell more than Allen, so they went with their guy. Honestly,  how many people watched Allen play at Kentucky? I'll admit, not me... I did watch Ferrell plenty of times and he stood out. Allen might be a one year wonder in Gruden and Mayocks opinion, who knows. Ferrell's body of work speaks for itself. Let's let it play out, DE is a position of need and they got the guy they liked. Could've been a lot worse...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Confused. If he is a mid-rounder, and you think he would have been ideal at 24/27, how is that not a reach?

Over the years, I have changed from listening to all the people, so called 'experts' that say this guy and that guy ya ya ya ya ...... and then collectively there is an idea of 'what draft grade' a player has. 

Let me ask you. If you were a GM and you loved Tom Brady coming out of college and knew he had a "late round grade" and took him in 1st overall.... would that be a reach? No. 

But ok, sure, we never know a pick is good or not until years later. So there is the whole draft strategy. We, as peons who only can read what writers write and watch what the TV shows say and listen to what the radio and podcast guys say. I think you can get cute and try to play to the 'common knowledge' of where someone 'ought' to be drafted (look back... how often is that all wrong?) or you can shut that out... do your homework like watching tape, reviewing combine/school pro day/private workouts, interviews of the players, coaches, teammates, etc, background checks, tests, and on and on and on.... and build your draft board. Then the old NFL cliche of 'trust your draft board' and pick that way. If you really love the guy. Draft him even if you think he might be available later. If you are ok on rolling the dice or like a few player and can find a trade partner then make a deal and select him closer to the 'common knowledge' but you never know when another team has him high on their draft board and will take him. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

And that is why the Raiders will be drafting early next year as well.  

Thanks Mel Kiper. 

Over the years, I have changed from listening to all the people, so called 'experts' that say this guy and that guy ya ya ya ya ...... and then collectively there is an idea of 'what draft grade' a player has. 

Let me ask you. If you were a GM and you loved Tom Brady coming out of college and knew he had a "late round grade" and took him in 1st overall.... would that be a reach? No. 

But ok, sure, we never know a pick is good or not until years later. So there is the whole draft strategy. We, as peons who only can read what writers write and watch what the TV shows say and listen to what the radio and podcast guys say. I think you can get cute and try to play to the 'common knowledge' of where someone 'ought' to be drafted (look back... how often is that all wrong?) or you can shut that out... do your homework like watching tape, reviewing combine/school pro day/private workouts, interviews of the players, coaches, teammates, etc, background checks, tests, and on and on and on.... and build your draft board. Then the old NFL cliche of 'trust your draft board' and pick that way. If you really love the guy. Draft him even if you think he might be available later. If you are ok on rolling the dice or like a few player and can find a trade partner then make a deal and select him closer to the 'common knowledge' but you never know when another team has him high on their draft board and will take him. 

All solid points.

Honestly was just reacting to you saying he wasn’t a reach at 4 but posting twice that he seemed like a mid-rounder.

• Like 1

Hoped Fant would drop just a little more.

Who do we hope for at 24 boys and girls?

I don’t see Sweat falling. Greedy?

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors

Sweat at 24 Jacobs at 27?

The corners are all still there.  Might be able to get a good one in the second round.