Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hankmoody

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread

Recommended Posts

Hmm. I think we could have used Cody Ford.  Lots of people had him in the late 1st. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Great insight. How do you feel about Rock Ya Sin and Murphy? Byron Murphy is interesting as I remember a lot of hype about him many moons ago with him being selected in the first round, but in recent rankings seems many think he's a different (and worse) prospect than Greedy.

Rock Ya-Sin has the best name ever. LOL- I think Murphy is the better overall with upside to continue to develop. But what the hell do I know? We shall see now while he is in Arizona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense. Got more picks and I think the next 6 or 7 CB's are all about the same level. I think it is who you like the most thing. 

Greedy is flashy as all hell but if you want your CB to tackle- he ain't your guy which is why he is falling. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

Makes sense. Got more picks and I think the next 6 or 7 CB's are all about the same level. I think it is who you like the most thing. 

Greedy is flashy as all hell but if you want your CB to tackle- he ain't your guy which is why he is falling. 

Interesting - I hadn’t heard this criticism until today. Was pretty much projected to go in the first round. 

I don’t know enough about the true difference between Mullen and other guys around him.

I was critical of Ferrell initially given Allen on the board, can’t be critical of Mullen given Greedy on the board. Both are Gruden/Maycock’s guys clearly. I am just thrilled that just like the EDGE pick in the first, we went DB - another big positional need and they way I thought we needed to go.

I would have preferred Byron or Rock, but love G/M’s next best DB on their board. And got some picks in the process - nicely done.

Also love that we didn’t go Lock, as I continually saw media speculate on, as they did our desire to get Murray in the first. And I bet you’ll continue to hear us wanting a QB.

The only people who believe in Carr are the Raiders and their fans.

So let’s shut them all up this season. The team is now completely different around Carr, on both sides of the ball. Let’s win, baby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Interesting - I hadn’t heard this criticism until today. Was pretty much projected to go in the first round. 

I don’t know enough about the true difference between Mullen and other guys around him.

I was critical of Ferrell initially given Allen on the board, can’t be critical of Mullen given Greedy on the board. Both are Gruden/Maycock’s guys clearly. I am just thrilled that just like the EDGE pick in the first, we went DB - another big positional need and they way I thought we needed to go.

I would have preferred Byron or Rock, but love G/M’s next best DB on their board. And got some picks in the process - nicely done.

Also love that we didn’t go Lock, as I continually saw media speculate on, as they did our desire to get Murray in the first. And I bet you’ll continue to hear us wanting a QB.

The only people who believe in Carr are the Raiders and their fans.

So let’s shut them all up this season. The team is now completely different around Carr, on both sides of the ball. Let’s win, baby.

The crap about Carr makes me wanna punch people in the face. They clearly have no clue what they are talking about. Carr has proven he can be a great QB in the league. Last year I think he was adjusting to the new system and the line sucked big hairy monkey balls not to mention the chaos that ensued through the season. The talk about a QB was dumb and I think influenced more by anti-Raider bias than anything else. 

Byron was the best CB of the draft IMO. But I don't see that much fall off from him to Mullen. I think Rock, besides having an awesome name, was right in that group of CB's with very little difference among them. Greedy was a stand out because his coverage skills are easily 1st round level but his tackling is horrible. Maybe it was effort but I think it was heart and technique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ICON211 said:

I like this pick a lot.

Good player.    I noticed him in the Championship game.   Very physical and flies to the ball.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mullen's not the best tackler either. But I like that he was Ferrell's teammate. And that teams hardly targeted him (sign of respect). And that he balled out in the Natty title game. And that his name isn't Greedy.

Edited by LawFitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

they signed burfict.   let's not put them with mother teresa quite yet.

yesterday's picks have grown on me, but we'll see what happens with them.  the one that bothers me the most is jacobs.  and it will bother me even more, if they go offense with the next pick.

I am not sure I understand the angst against Jacobs. We clearly needed a RB and he clearly is the best of the draft with a fairly decent drop off to the next group of guys. Seems to me he is a guy that can do it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

Mullen's not the best tackler either. But I like that he was Ferrell's teammate. And that teams hardly targeted him (sign of respect). And that he balled out in the Natty title game. And that his name isn't Greedy.

May not be the best but Greedy is on liability level. 

And what is wrong with Greedy as a name? It is perfect for a CB. Second to Rock Ya-Sin. LOL love that name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur 2m2 minutes ago

More

Mullen met Antonio Brown on his visit to the #Raiders facility and they have talked every day since.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

I am not sure I understand the angst against Jacobs. We clearly needed a RB and he clearly is the best of the draft with a fairly decent drop off to the next group of guys. Seems to me he is a guy that can do it all. 

Come fantasy draft time, people will change their tune and I bet he will be a top 3 dynasty pick. Anyone not sold on Jacobs, watch some highlights, the guy literally ran over an Oklahoma DB like he wasn't even there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

I am not sure I understand the angst against Jacobs. We clearly needed a RB and he clearly is the best of the draft with a fairly decent drop off to the next group of guys. Seems to me he is a guy that can do it all. 

I'd like the Jacobs pick a lot more if we can also draft a new O-line coach

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably you guys all already know this and I'm late to the party but Josh Jacobs, basically homeless through high school and some of the reference articles at the bottom of his wiki:

"Alabama running back Josh Jacobs played on a broken ankle, to have surgery on Friday"

"Alabama’s Josh Jacobs played sick, on empty stomach needing 2 IVs and won MVP"

Hard not to root for him

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chadstroma said:

I am not sure I understand the angst against Jacobs. We clearly needed a RB and he clearly is the best of the draft with a fairly decent drop off to the next group of guys. Seems to me he is a guy that can do it all. 

Completely agree.  When I watched this guy play last year I saw a guy that can be a star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple guy I'm interested in today.

 

Mack Wilson - LB - Alabama

Hakeem Butler - WR - Iowa State

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hidden gems at guard and TE are what I'm hoping for today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ICON211 said:

A couple guy I'm interested in today.

 

Mack Wilson - LB - Alabama

Hakeem Butler - WR - Iowa State

I absolutely love Hakeem Butler.    Would love to have a gamebreaking WR like that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dcgangstas said:

I absolutely love Hakeem Butler.    Would love to have a gamebreaking WR like that.   

Cardinals got him at 103 before we could. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Maxx Crosby pick is really interesting.  That's the type of potential high upside pick at a huge position of need that makes a lot of sense at that spot.  I'm really liking this Raider draft.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mayock has shown this job isn’t too big for him. He has moved up or down almost routinely with confidence in who they want and when they can take them, adding a lot of value/picks along the way. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snagging positional need continues. Big ups to Maycock and Gruden for not making any headscratching positional picks - we’re building in true areas of need.

Good pick in Mullen to challenge Worley and Lawsen and maybe push out less talented/one dimensional coverage backs. Nothing wrong with building secondary depth with quality upside when our cupboard’s been so bare for so long. Our entire secondary looks fast and potentially nasty if some of these guys flourish at the next level.

Another EDGE/DE in a touted prospect in Mad Maxx Crosby - argument for targeting Anthony Nelson but LOVE doubling down on EDGE depth. Athletic but developmental talent, likely still able to push out fodder taht likely won’t ever pan out like Cowser.

CB Isaiah Johnson only helps us add depth and protects downside of Worley/Lawson not panning out past this year. This kid should be an immediate ST contributor at gunner as well.

TE Foster Moreau - tremendous blocker with great athleticism and while not a pure pass catching TE or big slot receiver in the Kelce mode, can contribute and push Smith/Carrier. Another area of need for team depth for the future with solid upside.

Hinter Renfrew adds depth in the slot. We have guys who can stretch the field, so not terrible to look for a crisp route runner who doesn’t drop balls - something we lacked over the last few years.

I would have liked is to look at providing depth at guard a little earlier with some mid-round talent, and maybe we do that in the 7th. But overall a really solid draft that showed me a lot about this team doing what I’d hoped in sticking to adding starters and depth to areas of need, drafting high calibre overall talent and personalities instead of keying in on a single flashy trait (e.g. trading well-roundness for speed), and getting guys who help accentuate the scheme and build identity of this club under Chucky.

Solid B draft.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we signed Te’Von Coney, MLB from Notre Dame, as an UFDA.

Super solid nab at yet another positional need.

Guy had a 90.5 coverage grade as an MLB (compare to Devin White at 91.6).

5th best-graded MLB run defender overall (91.7). 

22nd best in the nation at his position in pass rush productivity (18.84). 

4th best tackler at his position, allowing just 0.34 yards/snap (10th overall).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2019 at 7:59 PM, Bruno2 said:

Come fantasy draft time, people will change their tune and I bet he will be a top 3 dynasty pick. Anyone not sold on Jacobs, watch some highlights, the guy literally ran over an Oklahoma DB like he wasn't even there. 

I bet #1 in most rookie drafts.

Edited by Chadstroma
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell the current undrafted FA's:

Wisconsin FB Alec Ingold

UC Davis WR Keelan Doss

Alabama OG Lester Cotton Sr

Notre Dame LB Te’von Coney

Fordham CB Dylan Mabin

Penn State LB Koa Farmer

UCLA OT Andre James

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 7:45 PM, Chadstroma said:

As far as I can tell the current undrafted FA's:

Wisconsin FB Alec Ingold

UC Davis WR Keelan Doss

Alabama OG Lester Cotton Sr

Notre Dame LB Te’von Coney

Fordham CB Dylan Mabin

Penn State LB Koa Farmer

UCLA OT Andre James

 

Thanks for this. Love seeing our positional needs/depth continued being met -- a few offensive linemen, a few LBs. Rare UDFAs come out of nowhere to be solid starters, but ya never know.

Camp competition will be really interesting this year across a lot of positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gruden is giving Johnathan Abram #24.   

Willie Brown and Charles Woodson's number.   You better live up to that standard young fella.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 7:33 PM, Chadstroma said:

I bet #1 in most rookie drafts.

Now that Crowell tore his Achilles yesterday, currently there is no one standing in Jacobs' way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This definitely affects our depth at RB.

Wondering if we look to resign Doug Martin. Didn't do a whole lot of research of who is still a FA but guys like Ajayi, Sproles, Powell, Javorious Allen, Alex Collions, Alfred Morris, Chris Ivory, and Stevan Ridley might still be available, but not sure how much we would need to still pay Crowell and have enough cap room to bring in another vet.

I think a combo of Jacobs, Richard, and Warren brings us all the skill set we need, but it's wholly untested and highly risky -- no question depth at RB is one of the most important things an NFL team can have. And having some veteran ability helps.

ETA: Crow was signed to a one-year deal that was worth up to $2.5, but seems to be $300K in dead money (his guaranteed salary) against an overall cap # of $1.25M. So does the team cut him now and save $900K in cap savings? Or given injury, do they actually need to carry him and his cap hit until he's healed? Have no idea how this works, and don't know what the impact to our cap is (in terms of how much overall space we have and who we may still pursue in FA, @ RB or otherwise).

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

This definitely affects our depth at RB.

Wondering if we look to resign Doug Martin. Didn't do a whole lot of research of who is still a FA but guys like Ajayi, Sproles, Powell, Javorious Allen, Alex Collions, Alfred Morris, Chris Ivory, and Stevan Ridley might still be available, but not sure how much we would need to still pay Crowell and have enough cap room to bring in another vet.

I think a combo of Jacobs, Richard, and Warren brings us all the skill set we need, but it's wholly untested and highly risky -- no question depth at RB is one of the most important things an NFL team can have. And having some veteran ability helps.

ETA: Crow was signed to a one-year deal that was worth up to $2.5, but seems to be $300K in dead money (his guaranteed salary) against an overall cap # of $1.25M. So does the team cut him now and save $900K in cap savings? Or given injury, do they actually need to carry him and his cap hit until he's healed? Have no idea how this works, and don't know what the impact to our cap is (in terms of how much overall space we have and who we may still pursue in FA, @ RB or otherwise).

Just my personal opinion, but they're all in on Jacobs. 1st round pick, very low miles. Gruden is going to use him, and he's gonna use him a lot! Richard and Washington and possibly Warren will be there to give him a rest. But mark my words now, Jacobs is going to get a ton of touches out of the gate and health permitting, all season long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see them sign Ajayi for depth. He has a similar skillset to Jacobs and is fairly young, but with a lot of mileage and creaky knees. If he checks out medically to be able to last a season in a backup role, he's be my top choice, followed by the Muscle Hammy. I don't trust CWIII at all to stay healthy. Dude is fun to watch, but he won't last more than a game or three with his running style.

Not sure how the Crow's cap hit will work now. I think they can come up with an injury settlement where he only counts the dead money of getting cut, but actually gets paid more by the team to send him off. That's a wild ### guess though, so don't take it as actual insight. That's how a situation like this should work anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we signed the Muscle Hamster back. Good move if only for (likely) cheap depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I am still super bummed about the Crow. Really thought he and JJ we're about to make a formidable duo. Not nearly as enthusiastic about Muscle Ham and/or Bluntmode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still concerned about edge rush. Cle pick seems reasonable all considered, but I don't expect him to be an instant pressure guy. Key better level up this offseason or QBs are gonna feast on Oakland again in 2019. Mad Maxx and the 7th Rd WR/ED look to be at least a year away from making an impact.

Maybe time to finally kick the tires on Ansah, if he's willing to take a 1-2 yr  prove-it deal. Dion Jordan and old men Chris Long and Will Hayes could also be worthwhile considerations. Feel like they need to do something more here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LawFitz said:

Man I am still super bummed about the Crow. Really thought he and JJ we're about to make a formidable duo. Not nearly as enthusiastic about Muscle Ham and/or Bluntmode.

Agreed.   Was looking forward to Crow getting some decent touches.  He was a solid RB and much better than Doug Martin.   Feels like the Raiders are going with OK here instead of gambling on a potentially more explosive, dynamic RB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard it reported that they tried to move back but couldn't find a partner so they took their guy with Ferrell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the Josh Jacobs show.  Running back depth can be important, but I don't think Crowell was going to see more than 3-4 carries per game.  It sucks that he got hurt, but I didn't view him as a big time talent.  I think the Doug Martin signing is fine and he is a solid vet.  Obviously Jacobs hasn't handled a massive load so hopefully he will hold up, but he is going to get the opportunity to do so and was going to even if Cro didn't get hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ICON211 said:

Obviously Jacobs hasn't handled a massive load so hopefully he will hold up, but he is going to get the opportunity to do so and was going to even if Cro didn't get hurt.

Hard to know, but I think it was going to be much more of a timeshare, at least in year 1. Crow is/was underrated. He would've gotten anywhere from 30-60% of the load early on as they eased the rookie in. Now they either have to force feed the young buck or settle for MH/BM to serve a similar role with a lot less juice. Total bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that if Warren can develop into the thumper he looked like in preseason, we may have a great new Wheatley/Garner- Thunder/Lightning combo for the future.

But that's best case scenario.

I am hoping Jacobs flashes his skills at this next level as he did in college, and develops into a consistent early down back. With Richard we have a dependable passing down back, though I know Jacobs has great hands and open field burst too. I think it's safest to platoon Jacobs as he adjusts to both this next level and to test his ability and workload.

All we need is a solid credible running threat to take advantage of the slot and the 7-12 yard space Carr seems to be great at. I trust Gruden to dial up enough of a balanced and unpredictable attack that if executed, could make us a solid move-the-chains offense.

Like @LawFitz, it's the defense I'm most worried about. Lot of potential, but has yet to prove to be a middle-of-the-road or better D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stompin'TomConners    Who do you think is the leader in the AFC West?  Focusing on the D. Who do you fear the most in a one one one battle with the Raiders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.