What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Vacancies Ranked By Desirability (1 Viewer)

Josh McDaniels turned down interviewing with Cincy. Don’t know if that says more about his hubris or the state of Cincy’s organization. Seems like he’d have full control and a half decade to fail already at his disposal there.
His actions have made it very clear that it'll take a particular organizational structure, flexibility re draft picks/long term cap situation, and core (QB plus other toys) to make him jump.  He's content waiting for either that opportunity or Bellichik to hang 'em up.

Denver's core is getting up there in years, they don't have a QB, and if you don't win then the blame won't fall on Elway.  I don't disagree with you about Joseph's poor coaching, but the window to compete with this core may have already closed. But the expectation will be that you can still compete with it now - so long as they get a capable QB like you said.  Where will that QB come from and how many resources will be devoted to acquiring it though?  Ultimately it may take 3 years to build this back up to a contender and I don't think whoever they hire has that long.
Denvers core isn't that old.

2018 starters over 30:

• 31: Demaryius Thomas (traded)
  • 31: Emmanuel Sanders
  • 31: Jared Veldheer
  • 30: Case Keenum
  • 34: Dometa Peko
  • 30: Darian Stewart

That's it.  Peko is the only starter over 31.  Broncos drafted two WR's last year (Sutton, Hamilton), plus UDFA Tim Patrick played well down the stretch.  On D, the Broncos have three young safeties in Parks (24), simmons (25) and Cravens (23).

I'm not saying there aren't holes - there clearly are, but age isn't an issue.  The problems are WR and TE depth, OL quality, and interior LB.  and play calling, which did them no favors.  Elway addressed that already.

Denvers core isn't that old.

2018 starters over 30:

• 31: Demaryius Thomas (traded)
  • 31: Emmanuel Sanders
  • 31: Jared Veldheer
  • 30: Case Keenum
  • 34: Dometa Peko
  • 30: Darian Stewart

That's it.  Peko is the only starter over 31.  Broncos drafted two WR's last year (Sutton, Hamilton), plus UDFA Tim Patrick played well down the stretch.  On D, the Broncos have three young safeties in Parks (24), simmons (25) and Cravens (23).

I'm not saying there aren't holes - there clearly are, but age isn't an issue.  The problems are WR and TE depth, OL quality, and interior LB.  and play calling, which did them no favors.  Elway addressed that already.
If I remember I can check tomorrow but when I was clicking around earlier today I saw a bunch of 28's and 29's on top of what you cited starting on the depth chart. Not old if you're already a contender, but if you're x years out? Different story. 

If I remember I can check tomorrow but when I was clicking around earlier today I saw a bunch of 28's and 29's on top of what you cited starting on the depth chart. Not old if you're already a contender, but if you're x years out? Different story. 
starters in the 28/29 range:

• Matt Paradis
  • Derek Wolfe
  • Von MIller
  • Chris Harris
  • Brandon Marshall
Offensively, the Broncos core skill players to close out the season were all rookies: Sutton, Hamilton, Patrick, Lindsey, Freeman.  Add in Booker (26) Janovich (25) and your pick of TE's age 26 and under and offensively, the core is very young.

Defensively, I'd define the core as Miller and CHJ.  Maybe Wolfe, Roby and Marshall....so I guess these guys fit that category.  But there have been some guys in their early to mid 20's playing a lot:  Chubb (22), Simmons (25), Parks(24), Jewell (24).

This really isn't a very old team.  Peko is the only guy on the roster (excluding Pacman Jones, who didn't finish the season) over 31.

Per this article, average age of HC vacancy teams at the start of 2018:

1. CIN - 25.2
  2. CLE - 25.3
  3. GB - 25.7
  4. DEN - 26
  5. NYJ - 26
  6. TB - 26.1
  7. MIA - 26.5
  8. ARZ - 26.5
so GB, CIN,  and CLE are younger than Denver but that's it.  It's also worth noting that Denver got rid of 2 of their 3 oldest players since that was compliled in Demaryius Thomas and Pacman Jones, so take that for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
starters in the 28/29 range:

• Matt Paradis
  • Derek Wolfe
  • Von MIller
  • Chris Harris
  • Brandon Marshall
Offensively, the Broncos core skill players to close out the season were all rookies: Sutton, Hamilton, Patrick, Lindsey, Freeman.  Add in Booker (26) Janovich (25) and your pick of TE's age 26 and under and offensively, the core is very young.

Defensively, I'd define the core as Miller and CHJ.  Maybe Wolfe, Roby and Marshall....so I guess these guys fit that category.  But there have been some guys in their early to mid 20's playing a lot:  Chubb (22), Simmons (25), Parks(24), Jewell (24).

This really isn't a very old team.  Peko is the only guy on the roster (excluding Pacman Jones, who didn't finish the season) over 31.

Per this article, average age of HC vacancy teams at the start of 2018:

1. CIN - 25.2
  2. CLE - 25.3
  3. GB - 25.7
  4. DEN - 26
  5. NYJ - 26
  6. TB - 26.1
  7. MIA - 26.5
  8. ARZ - 26.5
so GB, CIN,  and CLE are younger than Denver but that's it.  It's also worth noting that Denver got rid of 2 of their 3 oldest players since that was compliled in Demaryius Thomas and Pacman Jones, so take that for what it's worth.
I think our definitions of core vary substantially. There are a couplethree second contract players listed above, but I think it's primarily role players paired with Von, Wolfe, Paradis, and Harris. I think Marshall is getting cut. Or at least he probably should. 

Denver- Vic Fangio

Cleveland- Dan Campbell,

Green Bay-Jim Caldwell

Tampa Bay- Eric "sleeping with" Bieniemy, 

New York Jets- Adam Gase, 

Cincinnati- Todd Monkin, 

Miami- Brian Flores,

Arizona- Kliff Kingsbury
Assuming the widely reported news about Flores to Miami turns out to be correct, I nailed 4 out of 8 landing spots. Is it possible to bet on these things?

I would imagine that NE HC vacancy is pretty undesirable if/when Brady and BB both retire next week, reason being the QB to replace Brady is going to have to follow the GOAT, and the same for Josh McDaniels ( presumably) who will have to follow the coaching GOAT.

I just can't imagine how that would go well , even for the best coaching staff and QB..

CLE - Mayfield, young talent, cap room
GB - Rodgers

CIN - a solid roster, they like to keep their coaches long-term
TB - good offensive weapons, some options at QB with Winston & pick 5
NYJ - some pieces & lots of cap space, higher if you like Darnold
DEN - a solid roster, though QB is iffy

MIA - limited talent, going to be hard to find a QB
ARZ - limited talent and Rosen looks bad, higher if you like Rosen or you love a QB in this draft and can get them to take him at pick 1

For reference,

QBs: Mayfield, Rodgers, Dalton, Winston, Darnold, Keenum, Tannehill, Rosen
2019 1st round picks: CLE pick 17, GB pick 12 & the Saints' pick, CIN pick 11, TB pick 5, NYJ pick 3, DEN pick 10, MIA pick 13, ARZ pick 1.
Kingsbury comes through and makes Arizona a better place to coach.

Users who are viewing this thread