Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
David Dodds

Playoff Contest is LIVE

Just now, TheWinz said:

As I see it, there are only 36 possible SB matchups.  If I had 35 more entries, I could rock this contest!

Go for it...for only $900 in subscription fees, you could win the $1000!

(Assuming you make it through the first 3 weeks, and don't miss the surprise high scoring #5 WR in the SB)

Edited by apalmer
  • Like 3

Wish i would have spent the $16 on Carson on a Saint or two now.

Looks like I have a good shot of making it next week if Saints and Colts players can score about 110 for me.  Have 10 playing.  Rooting for the Cowboys also!

Entry 106523

Demarcus Robinson $3 0.00

Rex Burkhead $7 0.00

Justin Jackson $3 0.50

Andrew Luck $21 25.00 Marlon Mack $14 22.40 Nyheim Hines $11 0.00 Dontrelle Inman $7 15.30 Chester Rogers $3 8.60 Zach Pascal $3 3.00 Eric Ebron $14 13.10 Adam Vinatieri $4 3.00

Drew Brees $38 0.00 Alvin Kamara $34 0.00 Michael Thomas $28 0.00

Josh Bellamy $3 4.40

Amari Cooper $16 17.60 Blake Jarwin $7 6.00

Chris Carson $16 2.90 Tyler Lockett $14 16.00

Jake Elliott $4 5.30

Edited by Getzlaf15
  • Like 1

Missed the cut. I'm bummed because I like my team.  Loaded up on Chargers and Rams as my Super Bowl prediction.  Missed cut by 12 points or so.  Good luck to everyone.

21 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Wish i would have spent the $16 on Carson on a Saint or two now.

Looks like I have a good shot of making it next week if Saints and Colts players can score about 110 for me.  Have 10 playing.  Rooting for the Cowboys also!

Entry 106523

Demarcus Robinson $3 0.00

Rex Burkhead $7 0.00

Justin Jackson $3 0.50

Andrew Luck $21 25.00 Marlon Mack $14 22.40 Nyheim Hines $11 0.00 Dontrelle Inman $7 15.30 Chester Rogers $3 8.60 Zach Pascal $3 3.00 Eric Ebron $14 13.10 Adam Vinatieri $4 3.00

Drew Brees $38 0.00 Alvin Kamara $34 0.00 Michael Thomas $28 0.00

Josh Bellamy $3 4.40

Amari Cooper $16 17.60 Blake Jarwin $7 6.00

Chris Carson $16 2.90 Tyler Lockett $14 16.00

Jake Elliott $4 5.30

Same boat here, have a ton of Saints/Colts but need those 4 next week to get a TON so that:  Patterson, Tyrell Williams, Mike Williams, Beasley, Gallup, Josh Reynolds and CJ Anderson can help chip in.  Next week is generally the toughest week and the cuts range from 140-160 in years past.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, Rhythmdoctor said:

Predicting an all LA Super Bowl. 

QB - Jared Goff - 27
QB - Philip Rivers - 18
RB - Todd Gurley - 34
RB - Melvin Gordon III - 26
WR - Robert Woods - 22
WR - Brandin Cooks - 20
WR - Keenan Allen - 18
WR - Amari Cooper - 16
WR - Mike Williams - 11
WR - Travis Benjamin - 3
TE - Eric Ebron - 14
PK - Adam Vinatieri - 4
TD - Chicago Bears - 14
TD - Los Angeles Rams - 9
TD - Los Angeles Chargers - 8
TD - Dallas Cowboys - 6

Total value: 250

This team will NOT be moving on.  

Decided to go back 9 years of this contest to see rosters for the winners (I wanted 10 years, but didn't find 2008).  As expected, with a minor variance in 2015, the previous 9 winners loaded up on 2 teams and hoped for the best.  Here are the amounts spent for just those players on the 2 SB teams: 167, 166, 206, 172, 194, 186, 100, 162, 171

Also, looking at the rosters for these 9 winners, they didn't even try to hedge.  They put all their eggs in one basket on the 2 SB teams.  Sure, they may have had a few decent guys from other teams, but it was just to get them through a week or two.  The average spent on just 2 teams was $169.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Decided to go back 9 years of this contest to see rosters for the winners (I wanted 10 years, but didn't find 2008).  As expected, with a minor variance in 2015, the previous 9 winners loaded up on 2 teams and hoped for the best.  Here are the amounts spent for just those players on the 2 SB teams: 167, 166, 206, 172, 194, 186, 100, 162, 171

Also, looking at the rosters for these 9 winners, they didn't even try to hedge.  They put all their eggs in one basket on the 2 SB teams.  Sure, they may have had a few decent guys from other teams, but it was just to get them through a week or two.  The average spent on just 2 teams was $169.

$176 for my Saints/Colts.  (11 total)

I'm very interested in round 2 data, I bet a ton of teams have loaded up on the teams with the BYE's

26 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

$176 for my Saints/Colts.  (11 total)

I'm very interested in round 2 data, I bet a ton of teams have loaded up on the teams with the BYE's

10 minutes ago, Insein said:

Only spent $138 on Pat's/Saints.  Guess I'm boned.

I considered that heavy 2 SB roster, but figured that strategy would never advance past Week 2 due to the potential upsets and performance values from some key players (ie Luck, Ertz, Zeke type names).   Not sure if I was trying to "overbalance" for the advancement concern and still maintain good numbers for the SB match up...

I figured a good balance was to have more than 1 SB match up and have a few from each.... I finalized on Indy or KC vs Dallas SB - 6 players max for me....

Indy - 3 Players $49

KC - 3 players $91 

Dallas - 3 players $62

This really hurt as I am an Eagles fan!  But I see Zeke, Dak & Cooper making things happen and the Def has stepped up lately....so why not?!?!

Edited by Birdie048
  • Like 1

For the last 9 years, here are the weekly cutoffs:

2017 - 84, 138, 59 - winner scored 230 in the SB with 11 combined NE/PHI players

2016 - 91, 145, 132 - winner scored 178 in the SB with 10 combined NE/ATL players

2015 - 66, 128, 65 - winner scored 81 in the SB with 6 combined CAR/DEN players

2014 - 50, 138, 83 - winner scored 167 in the SB with 12 combined NE/SEA players

2013 - 46, 125, 102 - winner scored 167 in the SB with 14 combined DEN/SEA players

2012 - 65, 186, 71 - winner scored 185 in the SB with 13 combined BAL/SF players

2011 - 88, 180, 66 - winner scored 157 in the SB with 12 combined NE/NYG players

2010 - 92, 119, 52 - winner scored 179 in the SB with 12 combined PIT/GB players

2009 - 128, 117, 77 - winner scored 129 in the SB with 10 combined IND/NO players

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheWinz said:

Just saying it's unlikely a team with 7 QB's can have the firepower to take the top prize, because there will be at least 1 team that correctly guesses the 2 SB teams, and stocks up on their QB's and other positional players.  As I said from the start, I think the eventual winner will have spent at least $150 on the 2 SB teams.

I have $140. Went a little lighter figuring the flawed entries would have more of an impact this year and weed 2 scoring would be thru the roof decimating the teams heavy on just two teams

Moving on but for my roster I could only fit 9 for KC vs NO SB ($185) including both QBs but no Saints RBs. I guess technically if I had not picked Wilson and Burton (waste) I could have re worked for Ingram and squeaked by WC. I was aiming for 90-95 and had not made it past WC my first 3 years.

I did hedge on WC with Dak/Wilson, Keke/Vinatieri, and Foles/Burton, so that I’d have 3 of those, 4 of KC/NO and 1 cheap NE (dorsett) for this Div round. Lucked out as I was only counting on Foles for WC. So 8 this round including 4 QBs should get me to the 140ish I was targeting. Will see if it is enough. More concerned for Conf champ but will see! 

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/playoffcontest/2018/101975.php

Badgley almost my leading scorer and moving on. Loaded up on NO and LA. Dodged the first bullet with only 7 non NO/LA players. 

Only lost one player - Gus Edwards $9 investment. And adding in Brees, Kamara, Thomas and Saints D. Hopeful for next week. 

Edited by Elevencents

2 hours ago, Shaunz33 said:

Moving on but for my roster I could only fit 9 for KC vs NO SB ($185) including both QBs but no Saints RBs. I guess technically if I had not picked Wilson and Burton (waste) I could have re worked for Ingram and squeaked by WC. I was aiming for 90-95 and had not made it past WC my first 3 years.

I did hedge on WC with Dak/Wilson, Keke/Vinatieri, and Foles/Burton, so that I’d have 3 of those, 4 of KC/NO and 1 cheap NE (dorsett) for this Div round. Lucked out as I was only counting on Foles for WC. So 8 this round including 4 QBs should get me to the 140ish I was targeting. Will see if it is enough. More concerned for Conf champ but will see! 

KC/NO would have the most uncertain outcome given how expensive the players were - impossible for anyone to cover all the bases with those two.  You should have a shot if you get there.

The year that kills me is '11/12.  I had the Baltimore/SF Super Bowl a year early.  If those two had won instead of lost in the Conference championship I would have had a mortal lock on the $$$

Btw pretty sure '08 had a Wisdom of the Crowd contest instead which was a lot of fun (but wildly different) - actually cashed in that.

-QG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shaunz33 said:

Solid team.  Many submissions that went all in on KC/NO won't make it til the end, but you have a shot.  In hindsight, you may have had some RB's, but getting to week 2 was job 1.

• Like 2

The problem with this contest is way to many people don't read the rules or figure out how to win. I know it's been mentioned in here a ton but there are so many people that pick 2 guys on each team that it's tough to get past the Championship weekend unless you have your two Super Bowl teams & 2 other guys at least.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kuz said:

The problem with this contest is way to many people don't read the rules or figure out how to win. I know it's been mentioned in here a ton but there are so many people that pick 2 guys on each team that it's tough to get past the Championship weekend unless you have your two Super Bowl teams & 2 other guys at least.

I don't think anything would change if everyone read the rules correctly.

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, Kuz said:

That's the beauty of this contest.  At least 1/2 the people are entering rosters with no shot to compete against you.  It's like playing in a DFS tourney where half the teams are playing two guys on IR.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, matuski said:

I somehow find myself relying on Indy and Dallas.

I'm screwed.

Make that "We are screwed".....  I am in the same boat.....  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

Make that "We are screwed".....  I am in the same boat.....  

I'm shooting for an all-upset weekend - IND over KC, PHI over NO, DAL over LAR, and LAC over NE

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is why this contest is stupid you have people who clearly either don't care about trying to win or have no clue what they are doing.  All these people do is drive up the cutoff so people who actually try to win the contest have no chance.

#1 score 255 pts congrats on finish 1st in week 18 congrats also on not having any chance to win anything.

This entry is still alive.

--------------------------------------

Deshaun Watson           $32     24.35 

Lamar Jackson            $22     26.10 

Andrew Luck              $21     25.00 
Marlon Mack              $14     22.40 
Eric Ebron               $14     13.10 

Mitchell Trubisky        $26     22.05 
Allen Robinson           $14     30.30 

Dak Prescott             $16     25.20 
Ezekiel Elliott          $30     24.90 

Russell Wilson           $14     25.05 
Chris Carson             $16      2.90 

Alshon Jeffery           $11     14.20 
Zach Ertz                $20     12.70 

-----------------------------------------
TOTAL                           255.15 
CUTOFF                           79.00 

21 minutes ago, Dez said:

This is why this contest is stupid you have people who clearly either don't care about trying to win or have no clue what they are doing.  All these people do is drive up the cutoff so people who actually try to win the contest have no chance.

#1 score 255 pts congrats on finish 1st in week 18 congrats also on not having any chance to win anything.

Part of the strategy is to plan around the teams like that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dez said:

--------------------------------------

Deshaun Watson           $32     24.35 

Lamar Jackson            $22     26.10 

Andrew Luck              $21     25.00 
Marlon Mack              $14     22.40 
Eric Ebron               $14     13.10 

Mitchell Trubisky        $26     22.05 
Allen Robinson           $14     30.30 

Dak Prescott             $16     25.20 
Ezekiel Elliott          $30     24.90 

Russell Wilson           $14     25.05 
Chris Carson             $16      2.90 

Alshon Jeffery           $11     14.20 
Zach Ertz                $20     12.70 

-----------------------------------------
TOTAL                           255.15 
CUTOFF                           79.00 

This is why this contest is awesome, you have people who clearly either don't care about trying to win or have no clue what they are doing.  All these people do is add cupcakes to the finals so people who actually try to win the contest have better chance than if everyone tried.

Taking your thought a step further, 

2013: 1. Seahawks def. 1. Broncos

2014: 1. Patriots def. 1. Seahawks

2015: 1. Broncos def. 1. Panthers

2016: 1. Patriots def. 2. Falcons

2017: 1. Eagles def. 1. Patriots

Everyone should be just picking players from the top seeds and the week 1 cutoff should be zero.  Matter of fact, everyone should just pick all of their players from just two teams.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

This is why this contest is awesome, you have people who clearly either don't care about trying to win or have no clue what they are doing.  All these people do is add cupcakes to the finals so people who actually try to win the contest have better chance than if everyone tried.

Agreed 100%

You can still win by loading up on your 2 SB picks, as evidenced by the last 6 winners of this contest.  They have spent a combined 73% of their budget on just 2 teams, and still managed to make it to the end.  You just have to pick players from the other teams wisely, so you can squeak by until the SB.

LAR/LAC final will leave me with 7 playing in the SB (although there are bound to be more stacked LA finals entries)

edit: spent only $128 on my SB teams

Only 9 going this weekend. Going to be tight. I’d feel a lot better about my chances if either Seattle (especially) or Chicago had won. Would love those Russ points.

Good luck to all this weekend. 

Rex Burkhead $7 0.00

Philip Rivers $18 9.50

Austin Ekeler $12 6.30

Mike Williams $11 6.20

Hunter Henry $6 0.00

Andrew Luck $21 25.00

Eric Ebron $14 13.10

Drew Brees $38 0.00

Taysom Hill $4 0.00

Jared Goff $27 0.00

Todd Gurley $34 0.00

Brandin Cooks $20 0.00

Jordan Howard $14 3.50

Trey Burton $10 0.00

Russell Wilson $14 25.05

Edited by bizkliz
$128 spent of $250

I feel I'm basically guaranteed to move on this week, just for the fact that all of my players are still in play (and they'll almost all count) and I have 6 of the 8 starting QBs this weekend.  However, beyond that it will depend on who wins this week's matchups and who ultimately ends up in the Super Bowl.  Unfortunately, even if I make it to the Super Bowl round, I probably won't have enough firepower as I only spent $133 for 5 players on my 2 SuperBowl teams, although I do have some of the obvious heavy hitters for LAR and KC:

Mahomes $40

Williams $22

Goff $27

Gurley $34

Reynolds $10

On 1/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, TheWinz said:

Looks like Steeler has added the remaining players to calcomatic, thank you!

All the players have been added, so we should be good for this weekend.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, cjack said:

I feel I'm basically guaranteed to move on this week, just for the fact that all of my players are still in play (and they'll almost all count) and I have 6 of the 8 starting QBs this weekend.  However, beyond that it will depend on who wins this week's matchups and who ultimately ends up in the Super Bowl.  Unfortunately, even if I make it to the Super Bowl round, I probably won't have enough firepower as I only spent $133 for 5 players on my 2 SuperBowl teams, although I do have some of the obvious heavy hitters for LAR and KC:

Mahomes $40

Williams $22

Goff $27

Gurley $34

Reynolds $10

Yep. See discussion above.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:17 AM, TheWinz said:

Agreed 100%

You can still win by loading up on your 2 SB picks, as evidenced by the last 6 winners of this contest.  They have spent a combined 73% of their budget on just 2 teams, and still managed to make it to the end.  You just have to pick players from the other teams wisely, so you can squeak by until the SB.

I have 14 of my 18 players from Patriots and Cowboys so I am certainly on team “squeak by”.  So far so good but there is a real chance I have only players on those 2 teams come conference championship games which is probably not going to work. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cheese said:

I have 14 of my 18 players from Patriots and Cowboys so I am certainly on team “squeak by”.  So far so good but there is a real chance I have only players on those 2 teams come conference championship games which is probably not going to work. 

Who were the players you chose that weren't on NE or DAL?

38 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Who were the players you chose that weren't on NE or DAL?

Luck/Hilton and Goff/Everett...

The fact that Dallas has to knock out Goff for it to matter hurts a lot. My original thought was Dallas over NO and play Goff in the NFC OR Luck over KC and play NE in AFC. Now only one of those scenarios is possible due to Philly upset changing the matchups. 

4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Luck/Hilton and Goff/Everett...

The fact that Dallas has to knock out Goff for it to matter hurts a lot. My original thought was Dallas over NO and play Goff in the NFC OR Luck over KC and play NE in AFC. Now only one of those scenarios is possible due to Philly upset changing the matchups. 

Obviously your best hope to win it all now hinges on IND beating KC, NE beating LAC, and DAL beating LAR.  The NO/PHI game is unimportant to you, but you should be rooting for PHI, so DAL can get home field the following week.  If all that happens, you are solid.

• Like 1

Getting ready to enjoy a few games tonite - pulling for IND in the first, and really pulling for DAL in the late game, as they are my NFC pick for the SB.  Running with Mack & Vinatieri, and Conley & Darrel Williams in game 1, with a bunch of Cowboys and no Rams in game 2. 

In decent shape to advance but lost my Colts (5 players)

so now rooting for Saints/Chargers (8) Which also won’t get it done.  

Saints (6)

Rams (2)

Chargers (2)

Pats (1)

Likely gone next week. 

Edited by Gottabesweet

5 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

In decent shape to advance but lost my Colts (5 players)

so now rooting for Saints/Chargers (8) Which also won’t get it done.  

Saints (6)

Rams (2)

Chargers (2)

Pats (1)

Likely gone next week. 

I feel your pain.... I am now in same boat as I had Dallas in SB vs with KC or Indy... lost too many players to be competitive after next week...

Down to Mahones, Kelce & Dam Williams for KC...but no real players from NFC now.... Kirkwood or Smallwood —> that’s all I got left!!

• Like 1

Lost the Colts, so I'm likely dead with only Rams possible for the SB.  Might get through next week if the Chargers win today.

Didn't get much yesterday. Way behind the cutoff right now but I have a bunch of Pats and Saints and Eagles today. So we'll see.

59 minutes ago, Insein said:

Didn't get much yesterday. Way behind the cutoff right now but I have a bunch of Pats and Saints and Eagles today. So we'll see.

That is not a bad thing!  I am at 120 pts (cut currently around 62)....and have 4 players yet to go today....but I have a better chance of winning the lottery  than winning this now.... I am realistically done  :toilet:

I am 2 points below the cut now.  I figure if I don't fall by more than 40 after the 1st game I may have a chance to advance.  I will have Foles and Tate plus Hopefully Brees and Ingram.

Man... the cut line really jumped after 1st game....NEP vs LAC...from 62 to 100 or so...

Wonder how high it will climb as NOS are charging vs Philly!!

project 135?

I am at 140 with “the 2 Woods” playing....

Kirkwood & Smallwood!!

Well down by 11 going to go down to the wire.  Not looking good now a few minutes later.  Probably would not have made it past next week anyway with only 4 players playing.  Would have liked to have found out though.  I think I did pick the S.B. teams correctly would have had 10 players going.  Good luck to those still in it after tonight.  Also note to self remember to try to not only pick S.B. teams but the teams you think will go to semis.  If i had just 2 more players.

Edited by rustycolts

Okay so dead entry is officially dead.

Entry that I swapped the dead entry in for was Rams vs Chargers so it would survive but still dead.

However the entry that I was trying to get in under the wire would still be alive and was NE vs Rams 😕

Again this one doesn't count but would be a contender but would actually have a problem next week (no KC or NO players):

Rams (5):  Gurley, Goff, Reynolds, Everett, Higbee

Patriots (9): Brady, Gronk, Michel, Hogan, Burkhead, Patterson, Dorsett, Develin, Pats Def

Good luck to those who still have a shot.

-QG

Made the cut. Got Saints and Pats still alive. Going to be tough to get through next week with only 4 scorers though.