What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the Saints don't win the Super Bowl this year... (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I truly believe the Saints are better going into this year's playoffs than they were going into the playoffs the year they won Super Bowl XLIV.  And, of course, the main reason, is Drew Brees.  Like I said on another forum, he should be the LOGICAL choice this year for MVP.  Yes, Patrick Mahomes had more TD passes, but the Saints had 13 wins while the Chiefs had only 12.  And, yes, Dee Ford had 13 sacks while Cameron Jordan only had 12, but Dee Ford had his coming-out party this year, while Cameron Jordan has been getting sacks on a more consistent basis year in, year out.  The same could be said of Drew Brees: he has been a more consistent passer year in, year out while Patrick Mahomes's moment in the sun might just be this year.  And that's all the more reason why the Saints should be the odds-on-favorites to win Super Bowl LIII, hands down!

Home field throughout plus a very familiar dome for the Super Bowl. They are absolutely the favorites. 

They are  favorites  but the offense kind of sputtered a bit since the Dallas game and for sure think Mahomes should be the MVP.

The point I'm trying to make is it'll be an absolute crime if the Saints don't win Super Bowl LIII and Drew Brees DOES NOT win MVP.  And I believe everyone in New Orleans can speak for that, and I'm not from New Orleans!

Nick Foles is the 2018 MVP.

He already won the Super Bowl this year, won 80% of the games he started this season, and brought his team back from the brink of elimination. 

Brees didn’t even play week 17, completely healthy and just sat. Meanwhile, BDN was completing the end of a dream regular season march from the brink of elimination.

It’ll be a shame if they don’t give Nick the MVP.

It will DEFINITELY be a crime if Drew Brees doesn't win MVP, that's for sure.  Not saying the Saints are going to win the Super Bowl, but if Drew Brees IS NOT named MVP, then the Associated Press needs to have their heads examined.

Brees had an excellent year, it would be MVP-caliber most years. He and the Saints are SB favorites. He's had a HOF career. None of that means he should win the MVP over the most exciting young player in the league who just threw for 5,000/50 in spectacular fashion. It's not a lifetime achievement award, he doesn't deserve it more because he's getting old. He's been incredibly consistent, he has a great shot at it next year for sure. 

Actually, to tell you the truth, the citizens of New Orleans can thank the Steelers for basically giving Drew Brees the MVP award two weeks ago, if anyone wants to look at it from another perspective.

He already won the Super Bowl this year, won 80% of the games he started this season, and brought his team back from the brink of elimination. 

Brees didn’t even play week 17, completely healthy and just sat. Meanwhile, BDN was completing the end of a dream regular season march from the brink of elimination.

This guys gets it. 

It would be a crime if Foles doesn't win.  An absolute crime!

Me and the entire city of Philadelphia think that.  And I'm not from Philadelphia!
Wait until the Eagles land in Chicago on Sunday is all I've got to say about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brace yourself for no SB... like you said, they are better than the Saints team that won the Super Bowl, but that's the same reason they are unlikely to win this year. The best team rarely wins with 1 game playoffs. I think we all know the Saints weren't the best team in the NFL when they won the SB, but such is the nature of 1 game playoffs. Even if the best team in the NFL has a 75% chance of winning against other playoff caliber teams (75% is pretty generous), the odds of winning 3 games in a row against playoff caliber teams is 75%^3= 42%. But 42% is relatively great when you consider there are 12 teams competing. I'm just pointing out why the logic is flawed to think something along the lines of "this team is better than the SB team, so they really should win the SB this year."

I believe that the 2018 MVP will be Mahomes... Drew Brees may get enough sentimental consideration to win it.

I would be nervous about how they have played since the Dallas game. Seems like take out M. Thomas and the passing game has problems.

I believe that the 2018 MVP will be Mahomes... Drew Brees may get enough sentimental consideration to win it.

I would be nervous about how they have played since the Dallas game. Seems like take out M. Thomas and the passing game has problems.
Like if you took out Hill or Kelce.

Brace yourself for no SB... like you said, they are better than the Saints team that won the Super Bowl, but that's the same reason they are unlikely to win this year. The best team rarely wins with 1 game playoffs. I think we all know the Saints weren't the best team in the NFL when they won the SB, but such is the nature of 1 game playoffs. Even if the best team in the NFL has a 75% chance of winning against other playoff caliber teams (75% is pretty generous), the odds of winning 3 games in a row against playoff caliber teams is 75%^3= 42%. But 42% is relatively great when you consider there are 12 teams competing. I'm just pointing out why the logic is flawed to think something along the lines of "this team is better than the SB team, so they really should win the SB this year."
Exactly what I came here to say. I mean, did anyone see the Patriots losing in 2007? I can see any of the remaining teams in the NFC or the AFC knocking off the Saints. You can be the best team all season long, but it means nothing in the playoffs. This has been proven many a time. 

Exactly what I came here to say. I mean, did anyone see the Patriots losing in 2007? I can see any of the remaining teams in the NFC or the AFC knocking off the Saints. You can be the best team all season long, but it means nothing in the playoffs. This has been proven many a time. 
It's just that 1 game playoffs are inherently unjust. Very unfortunate that football is such a grueling sport that only 1 game can be played per week.

Yogibear said:
It will DEFINITELY be a crime if Drew Brees doesn't win MVP, that's for sure.  Not saying the Saints are going to win the Super Bowl, but if Drew Brees IS NOT named MVP, then the Associated Press needs to have their heads examined.
YOU should have your head examined. It's a close race. 

Not following.  It's the same situation you presented involving Brees.
I was referring to teams taking a dedicated bracket approach on Mike Thomas and forcing other receivers to beat them... seems like there is nobody to step up and consistently make plays out wide for NOS. KCC seems (to me) to either be much deeper at the position, or QB/scheme just better at getting them involved to keep the offense running efficiently.

I was referring to teams taking a dedicated bracket approach on Mike Thomas and forcing other receivers to beat them... seems like there is nobody to step up and consistently make plays out wide for NOS. KCC seems (to me) to either be much deeper at the position, or QB/scheme just better at getting them involved to keep the offense running efficiently.
Kamara.  It's no different than '09.  Who else was there other than Colston and Bush?  

Kamara.  It's no different than '09.  Who else was there other than Colston and Bush?  
OK, I'm not 'spainin' this well. In 2018, since the Dallas game, it looks - to me - like the Saints offense bogs down when M. Thomas is doubled/bracketed.

I’m just happy Yogi Bear started a thread besides his annual NFL Network Top 100 Players thread. ;)  

fantasycurse42 said:

Foles is JAG.

unfortunately, I kind of mean that. I think he'll be the starter in Jacksonville next year and as a Titans fan I hate that. 

Users who are viewing this thread