Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BigSteelThrill

BSTs 2019 IDP catch-all.

Not sure what this will become.  But it is a new year and still got IDP on the brain.

I'm in a league that will have lots of movement early (Feb/Mar) so when everything else goes dark, we are alive and moving from now until May.

Great idea @BigSteelThrill

What are people's thoughts on Denico Autry?  I am in a league that gives bonus to DT to try and even out the scoring and he had a great season.  He is someone I am intrigued about keeping and wonder if this was a flash or if there is something more.  He looks very athletic with a good motor in the games I have seen.  Was this a career year or just the start of something?

Autry was a surprise to me this season, and emergent DT stars are always worth finding.  I even used him in a DL-mix league for the playoffs, and was happy with the results.  Line partner Margus Hunt had an excellent statistical season as well.

I wonder to an extent if the Colts’ complete lack of anything resembling an edge rush padded their sack totals, but tackle-producing DT are rare and therefore valuable breeds.  I’d be open to stashing both, and wouldn’t be surprised by anything from mid to low DL1 numbers to waiver wire fodder come next season.

DT is not a position I have any sense of ability to scout from film, so I have to rely on stats and others’ opinions.  Autry’s stats are good enough for me to take a close look next preseason though, and I’d want him on my roster rather than my waiver wire going in.

Yes things unfolded very odd, but nice for fantasy, in Indianapolis. Autry only concern is he will turn 29 this year. But he seems to have found a home as a DT and not a DE in the Indy 4-3 -- same for Hunt.

And since speaking of Indy...

Darius Leonard is the only player ever to amass at least 160 tackles, seven sacks, and two interceptions in a season.

What are we thinking about Dallas LB’s going forward?

I am assuming Lee is gone, but will Jaylon and LVE coexist and be IDP stars, or do they cannibalize each other’s tackles?

11 minutes ago, Arodin said:

I am assuming Lee is gone, but will Jaylon and LVE coexist and be IDP stars, or do they cannibalize each other’s tackles?

I was starting both after Lee got hurt and was happy with the results. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Arodin said:

I think there will be enough goodness to support two quality options.  They probably cap the ceiling of each other but should still put up solid numbers since they both appear to be three down LB's and never leave the field. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, Gally said:

Great idea @BigSteelThrill

What are people's thoughts on Denico Autry?  I am in a league that gives bonus to DT to try and even out the scoring and he had a great season.  He is someone I am intrigued about keeping and wonder if this was a flash or if there is something more.  He looks very athletic with a good motor in the games I have seen.  Was this a career year or just the start of something?

Similarly, I wonder about DT Nkemdiche in AZ. He has obvious talent but was injured. No clue what the new scheme looks like with Wilks gone now. 

Had a round-table with 4 other longtooth IDP players on Skype to start the new year.

Conclusions:

• If Ints/Sacks are not worth at least 5 times the amount tackles are -- we don't really have an IDP league. Its only a facade.
  • If you don't utilize The top 25 at each position (DL/LB/DB) as starters, then there isn't a real statistical difference and again its not an IDP league. Obviously going even higher in the utilization makes it a better offering, but the baseline remains.
  • The base 3 defensive positions were all very (and almost equally) valuable this past year. Would be nice to see this trend continue.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Had a round-table with 4 other longtooth IDP players on Skype to start the new year.

Conclusions:

• If Ints/Sacks are not worth at least 5 times the amount tackles are -- we don't really have an IDP league. Its only a facade.
  • If you don't utilize The top 25 at each position (DL/LB/DB) as starters, then there isn't a real statistical difference and again its not an IDP league. Obviously going even higher in the utilization makes it a better offering, but the baseline remains.
  • The base 3 defensive positions were all very (and almost equally) valuable this past year. Would be nice to see this trend continue.

Couldn't agree with you more. I think it's a shame that "big-play scoring" is not more mainstream, and that most of the content available is still geared toward tackle-heavy leagues. I'm also blown away by how many leagues only have three or fewer starting slots for IDPs.

I'm sure it will adjust over time, just like PPR eventually became mainstream, and now superflex and 2 QB is gaining steam, but I really look forward to the days when big-play scoring becomes more standard and teams are starting as many IDPs as they are offensive players. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Conclusions:

We tried to set up our league to have equal scoring across all positions (yes even kickers and punters).  We started with sacks worth 8 pts to a tackle being worth 1 (Int's were 7 pts)  This lead to an end of year similarity across positions that had a nice distribution of every position.  However, we found that the sack heavy positions were all or nothing.  Basically if they didn't get a sack it was a lost week.  So even though the overall scoring leveled out between tackle guys and sack guys the volatility was way high. 

This year we tried a change that distributed the sack points to different categories.  For example, on a sack you typically get a TFL, QB Hit, Sack and Tackle.  So we took those 8pts for a sack and distributed them as 2 pts for a TFL, 3 pts for a QB hit, and 3 pts for a sack.  The total for most sacks is still 8 pts but it now is distributed a bit differently.  This really helped smooth out scoring game by game. 

An example is Melvin Ingram.  The first few weeks he wasn't getting the sacks and ending with 1 or 2 tackles.  Old scoring and he gets 2 pts for the two tackles.  In the new scoring he was getting 2 QB hits, 1 TFL and 2 tackles.  So instead of 2 pts he ended with 10 pts.  It really helped smooth out scoring without giving too much of an overall bump for year end scoring.  We were quite pleased with the outcome. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 4:26 PM, Arodin said:

I was also starting both for most of the year after Lee got hurt and thrilled to own both.  Sure hope Lee moves on.

• Like 1

Good responses on Jaylon and LVE...thanks guys!

At risk of shifting into AC territory, which do you prefer going forward?  Do different scoring systems favor one over the other (i.e. is one more of a big play guy while the other farms tackles?).  Can’t tell from box score mining, and didn’t get to watch many games.

47 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Good responses on Jaylon and LVE...thanks guys!

At risk of shifting into AC territory, which do you prefer going forward?  Do different scoring systems favor one over the other (i.e. is one more of a big play guy while the other farms tackles?).  Can’t tell from box score mining, and didn’t get to watch many games.

In the games I saw they both stood out at various times (I know that doesn't help much) but the overall eye test for me would make me lean to LVE.  He seemed to be the more consistent playmaker and I noticed him more.  Again, this is just a strict random eye test when watching Dallas games.  I wasn't really focusing on either one.  For me, I would prefer LVE.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, BigSteelThrill said:

Big play scoring feels a bit like old-school leagues where you only got points for TDs and 100 yard games... too much weekly volatility for my taste.

• Like 1

Smith vs LVE in my league were separated by 1 PPG, with the edge going to LVE. They are both solid and a joy to watch playing side by side. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:48 AM, Tick said:

Big play scoring feels a bit like old-school leagues where you only got points for TDs and 100 yard games... too much weekly volatility for my taste.

You can smooth that out with understanding the stats that go into a sack.  I posted earlier that redistributing the sack points to TFL, QB Hits, and the sack leads to more consistency on the defensive side while still valuing the overall positions nicely.  I suggest playing around with those type of stats with your league and see what it does. 

IMO, the more items you can give points for (QB Hits, TFL, Sacks, PD, Hurries, tackles, assists, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, etc) really helps smooth out the volatility. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, BigSteelThrill said:

Conclusions:

This only works if you're not too deep on the IDP positions.  Otherwise you get the bogus loss to the guy who starts Brandon Mebane because his roster is so bad and the guy goes for 25 on you.  Your suggestion of top 25 per position means 2 DL/LB/DB start in a 12 man team and that would be a good balance.  I'm in a couple 16 man leagues that start many deeper and it sucks losing because some schmuck you wouldn't even take as a throw-in goes for 30.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

This only works if you're not too deep on the IDP positions.  Otherwise you get the bogus loss to the guy who starts Brandon Mebane because his roster is so bad and the guy goes for 25 on you.  Your suggestion of top 25 per position means 2 DL/LB/DB start in a 12 man team and that would be a good balance.  I'm in a couple 16 man leagues that start many deeper and it sucks losing because some schmuck you wouldn't even take as a throw-in goes for 30.

This does suck but by spreading out the points for the stats included in getting a sack it helps elevate the better players because they are getting QB hits/hurries/TFL more often so even without getting a sack they can off set that 30 pt game to some degree. 

Yep I've read your other posts on that and agree, we already do spread that out.  To be clear, I don't care about losing to a guy that has someone go for 30 - I care when that's some donkey that has no business being on a roster but because we start a bajillion at the position people are forced to throw #### against the wall.  I won my league with Wagner, Leonard, and LVE so I am all aboard the "bash them with studs" theory ;)

Talk of Todd Bowles getting the DC job in Arizona and shifting them back to a 3-4, which would push Chandler Jones back to outside linebacker?

Just when he was finally in the clear as a DL...

9 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Talk of Todd Bowles getting the DC job in Arizona and shifting them back to a 3-4, which would push Chandler Jones back to outside linebacker?

Need these updates here too please

9 hours ago, mjb03003 said:

Think you mean Vance Joseph in Arizona.

Edited by fruity pebbles
  • Like 2

8 pts for a sack is insane to me.  

Also points for QB hits.  Not sure how I feel about that.  It's a stat that doesn't really mean much.  Just means, you were too slow,.

13 hours ago, Wooters said:

8 pts for a sack is insane to me.  

Also points for QB hits.  Not sure how I feel about that.  It's a stat that doesn't really mean much.  Just means, you were too slow,.

You get a QB hit when you get a sack so you weren't too slow.   QB hits do matter as the more you hit a QB the more they tend to rush throws and duck the pressure.  It takes a toll. 

Edited by Gally
  • Love 1

You also get credit for a QB hit when you don’t get a sack. Which, obviously, is the stat I’m talking about, and therefore said defensive player was too slow.  What if a QB throws a TD on a QB hit?  You would be giving credit for that.

It’s essentially similar to an incompletion thrown at a CB. Why don’t CB’s get any credit for incompletions when thrown their way?  It was their coverage that contributed to the incompletion.  

Or maybe we should start giving points to CB’s that tackle a player for 0 yards after the catch. Afterall, their coverage was really really good and ALMOST good enough for an incompletion or INT. 

7 minutes ago, Wooters said:

You also get credit for a QB hit when you don’t get a sack. Which, obviously, is the stat I’m talking about, and therefore said defensive player was too slow.  What if a QB throws a TD on a QB hit?  You would be giving credit for that.

It’s essentially similar to an incompletion thrown at a CB. Why don’t CB’s get any credit for incompletions when thrown their way?  It was their coverage that contributed to the incompletion.  

Or maybe we should start giving points to CB’s that tackle a player for 0 yards after the catch. Afterall, their coverage was really really good and ALMOST good enough for an incompletion or INT. 

This is a stat based game and in order to increase consistency giving points for more stat categories helps.  It's a fake game and it doesn't have to mimic the NFL absolutely to be effective.

37 minutes ago, Wooters said:

Your league doesn't award points for tackles?  Now THAT is a "big play scoring system."

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

16 hours ago, Wooters said:

Not getting a sack != a failure.  If that QB sees the guy coming and throws it at the RB's feet or OB because he's out of time then that guy can have a positive impact.

• Like 1

In one of my leagues we have some scoring that gives every position importance. Yes it's really high scoring but to make position count you have to give each extra points in categories their good in. Its a 12 team league with salary cap and total year player cap. Salaries go up every year. 

So 60 man roster with :

1QB 5 starters from RB/WR/TE 1 Head Coach 1 PK 1 Punter

Defense is by scheme - you can start 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 or 3-2-5 or 4-2-5 Letting owners change starters each week gives them the best starting lineups. 

Must start 1 DT 2 DE 1 ILB 1 OLB 2 CB

We also start 5 OL: 1LT 1LG 1OC 1RG 1RT

You might say why OL? It gives more balance of players scoring for trades and lineups. 

10 man practice squad

Here are some scoring basics:

QB 1 pt per 15 yards 6 pts TD -6 pts INT

RB/WR/TE 1 pt per 17 yards 6 pts TD -6 INT or FUMBLE

IDP

2 pts tackle 1pt assist  +2 PD  

DL 12 pts sack

LB 10 pts sack

DB 8 pts sack  +2 PD

OLB in our league are very important because if you want to start 4 LBers you must start 2 OLB

21 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I was starting Bradley Chubb in a DL spot with his LB/DE eligibility. He he going to be reclassified as a LB only on the sites? 

I would assume so since he plays opposite Von Miller essentially playing the exact same spot just on the other side.  I am surprised he was a DL on your site.  All my sites had him as LB only.

22 hours ago, Gally said:

I would assume so since he plays opposite Von Miller essentially playing the exact same spot just on the other side.  I am surprised he was a DL on your site.  All my sites had him as LB only.

Espn and yahoo both have him with dual eligibility. 

Edited by johnnyboy8102

53 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Espn and yahoo both have him with duel eligibility. 

Is that even legal?  Sounds like a serious injury risk factor that would have me downgrading him significantly,

Then again, maybe this will be the NFL’s answer to replacing the kickoff as a means of establishing ball possession!

😛

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Arodin said:

Is that even legal?  Sounds like a serious injury risk factor that would have me downgrading him significantly,

Then again, maybe this will be the NFL’s answer to replacing the kickoff as a means of establishing ball possession!

😛

Lol fixed