What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 (18 season) FBG Playoff League (2 Viewers)

Happy with Ertz at #4, sort of happy with Burton in round 2. Not fond of many tight ends on the bye week teams so really nice to have two top ten ranked by Mr. Dodds. Now to hunt for some leftovers elsewhere.

Happy with Ertz at #4, sort of happy with Burton in round 2. Not fond of many tight ends on the bye week teams so really nice to have two top ten ranked by Mr. Dodds. Now to hunt for some leftovers elsewhere.
Figured you were taking these two unless Ebron fell. 

Ertz was easily a top 5 pick, only reason I took nuk over him was I think Houston goes further.  

Of course then I hedged with Mack.  Would have taken Burton here. Is it just me or do the TEs kinda suck this year?

So now I get to cheer for the Seahawks over the Cowboys in what should be a really close game. 

I'm okay with the Mack, Hopkins, Baldwin trio. Don't love it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured you were taking these two unless Ebron fell. 

Ertz was easily a top 5 pick, only reason I took nuk over him was I think Houston goes further.  

Of course then I hedged with Mack.  Would have taken Burton here. Is it just me or do the TEs kinda suck this year? The rest of them mostly do

So now I get to cheer for the Seahawks over the Cowboys in what should be a really close game. 

I'm okay with the Mack, Hopkins, Baldwin trio. Don't love it. was hoping Baldwin would slide to me

So did I reach on the Bears?  Would have gone Agoholer or Eckler, both who didn't make it back.  Dodds has 8 WRs projected within one point of each other.  In theory the Bears offer an advantage, but the reality is that D is a crapshoot.  Of course most everyone left has been a crapshoot this year.  

So did I reach on the Bears?  Would have gone Agoholer or Eckler, both who didn't make it back.  Dodds has 8 WRs projected within one point of each other.  In theory the Bears offer an advantage, but the reality is that D is a crapshoot.  Of course most everyone left has been a crapshoot this year.  
A little bit of a reach but certainly a reasonable one.

If they had fallen to my 5th round pick, I'm pretty sure I'd have taken them over Gallup. 

Not a reach at all. There is no certain way to approach this contest. You have to be lucky, particularly in this first round. There is only one home team this weekend that most are saying is a lock to advance and you got their defense. Typically, there are two or more home teams expected to win and a good strategy would be to draft top players from those teams to hold next week.

This year's draft started as:

1. Elliott DAL home favorite (+/- 2) and could definitely lose
  2. Hopkins HOU home favorite (1) and many expect to lose
  3. Gordon LAC road dog (2) that already lost to the Ravens a couple of weeks ago
  4. Ertz PHI road dog that is most likely to lose of all this week's games
  5. Hilton road dog (1) who is a little dinged up
I don't see any of those five that you should EXPECT to carry forward, so everyone is looking for an advantage. I went back to back TE to capitalize on the scoring format and the shortage of quality players at that position, but I had to do that in the first two rounds. You got the obvious best DST much later so I like that pick. One thing that I do not understand here and we discussed it quite a bit in the Interboard League is that quarterbacks here provide very little of that advantage, so I was a little surprised that two were taken in the early 4th round. Dodds has perhaps the best QB playing this weekend (Rivers) as the 8th ranked player at that position. Why would you not wait till later? Despite him playing at Baltimore, would anyone be greatly surprised if Rivers was the best player this weekend?

Lots of ways to go here and I liked how I began, but have not gotten much value afterward as I was hoping. It is great to be drafting again with this quality group. Looking so forward to all the games this weekend and this draft just adds a little sizzle to an already outstanding slate of games.

Long live football!

Not a reach at all. There is no certain way to approach this contest. You have to be lucky, particularly in this first round. There is only one home team this weekend that most are saying is a lock to advance and you got their defense. Typically, there are two or more home teams expected to win and a good strategy would be to draft top players from those teams to hold next week.

3. Gordon LAC road dog (2) that already lost to the Ravens a couple of weeks ago
I don't see any of those five that you should EXPECT to carry forward, so everyone is looking for an advantage. I went back to back TE to capitalize on the scoring format and the shortage of quality players at that position, but I had to do that in the first two rounds. You got the obvious best DST much later so I like that pick. One thing that I do not understand here and we discussed it quite a bit in the Interboard League is that quarterbacks here provide very little of that advantage, so I was a little surprised that two were taken in the early 4th round. Dodds has perhaps the best QB playing this weekend (Rivers) as the 8th ranked player at that position. Why would you not wait till later? Despite him playing at Baltimore, would anyone be greatly surprised if Rivers was the best player this weekend?

Lots of ways to go here and I liked how I began, but have not gotten much value afterward as I was hoping. It is great to be drafting again with this quality group. Looking so forward to all the games this weekend and this draft just adds a little sizzle to an already outstanding slate of games.

Long live football!
Agreed as always, although I definitely can see why someone would take Watson and luck in the 4th (might have myself if they fell to 4.07). 

But yes, the QBs could finish this week in any order and we shouldn't be surprised.

Long live football!
Love your optimistic take on things in your posts and your passion for this.

What I found interesting was that by the 4th round I see us drafting guys that might not offer any keeper value if there teams win.  I just took Beasley and see at least 12 WRs I would take next week from the byes teams before I would draft him.  His keeper value is likely where he will be drafted assuming they win.

Thinking about this discussion on drafting in later rounds with an eye towards keepers. I looked up at the top of this thread where I quote:

• Week 1 you must draft players only playing in playoff week 1.  8 rounds.
  • Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 D, 1 K, 1 Flex
  • You may draft a backup QB from the same team as your first QB only.
  • Top 4 advance.  Same scoring as last year.
My thoughts on the quarterback were based on the thinking that none of this week's QBs would likely be playing next week as all of the Bye Teams QBs are much better options, since only four teams advance. But remembering that all eight fantasy teams survive this week and the scores are cumulative for the first two weeks when four teams drop out. I will look to see if I can find a quote for this to confirm, unless someone else can confirm.

Found the rules post and it is at the top of the old league thread and copied and pasted here.

Here's the format:

A weekly draft with keepers and knockouts - 8 teams wild card weekend and divisional round, 4 teams championship round (top 4 scorers YTD), 2 teams super bowl (Top 2 championship scores), standard FBG survivor scoring and lineups, no reserves. You can keep 0, 1, or 2 players each week from the prior week. Your first kept player will be slotted as your round 7 draft pick. Your second kept player will be slotted as your round 8 draft pick.

Draft would be serpentine. WC weekend all draft spots would be picked randomly, but after that, teams would choose which spot they want - that order would be based on the prior week's scoring (so the high scorer would choose their slot first, etc.).

So after week 1, the top scorer will announce their keepers and their week 2 draft position. The 2nd high scorer will announce keepers and draft position next. Rinse and repeat.

Draft

The clock is off in MFL, we'll use this thread for accountability - so please post here and PM the next player.
The rules and scoring (same scoring as WSL)
10 rounds of drafting
No trading of picks
No trading of players
No free agent pick ups
Serpentine drafting.
No submission of rosters.

I will comment more later...but as far as picking a QB early...Luck is my #1 QB this week and I feel IND has a good chance to upset HOU and advance...IND is balling right now...and if so it means a matchup with KC.....which would have him ranked fairly high next week, possibly right behind Mahomes....and depending on where I draft ....a potential keeper

plus I thought pretty much anything at other positions after that was interchangeable.... so snagging a bundle points where I can get them...... 

I will comment more later...but as far as picking a QB early...Luck is my #1 QB this week and I feel IND has a good chance to upset HOU and advance...IND is balling right now...and if so it means a matchup with KC.....which would have him ranked fairly high next week, possibly right behind Mahomes....and depending on where I draft a potential keeper

plus I thought pretty much anything at other positions after that was interchangeable.... so snagging a bundle points where I can get them...... 
Makes sense.

The other thing though, the 4 teams with byes all have high scoring QBs. Then assuming my predictions hold true, the other QBs playing next week will be Wilson, trubisky, and Jackson. I'm not sure how much a benefit luck would be even playing KC. That could be a really high scoring game so maybe it's a great pick.

Although I think Houston wins.

Trubisky might have been a reach there, but I have the most confidence in him among the remaining QBs. 

Ravens defense might not be da Bears, but should also do fairly well I think. 

Trubisky might have been a reach there, but I have the most confidence in him among the remaining QBs. 

Ravens defense might not be da Bears, but should also do fairly well I think. 
That pick forced my hand.  Wanted nothing to do with Foles or Jackson.  

That pick forced my hand.  Wanted nothing to do with Foles or Jackson.  
and interestingly enough, my predraft first name was Jackson, followed by Trubiski and Wilson. I think that the Ravens will be able to run on the Chargers enough to control the tempo and Jackson will score well.

Such different opinions, that's what makes these contests so much fun.

Can't stand Seattle or especially Dallas.  Will be a tough game to watch.
I am looking forward to all of the games and think that several could be memorable. Have been a Saints fan for a while since living in Mississippi, but my sense is something has gone off the rails the second half of the season and don't expect them to win as the favorite.

I am looking forward to all of the games and think that several could be memorable. Have been a Saints fan for a while since living in Mississippi, but my sense is something has gone off the rails the second half of the season and don't expect them to win as the favorite.
😸

Mr Brees is awesome but if I were to lay odds right now for the NFC, the saints would be my #3 team.

and interestingly enough, my predraft first name was Jackson, followed by Trubiski and Wilson. I think that the Ravens will be able to run on the Chargers enough to control the tempo and Jackson will score well.

Such different opinions, that's what makes these contests so much fun.
This is the first time I remember looking at Dodds rankings and wondering where he got the crack.

😸

Mr Brees is awesome but if I were to lay odds right now for the NFC, the saints would be my #3 team.
Saints will crush Philly or Dallas at home with two weeks.  Gina is back Baby!!!  I like what the Saints defense has been doing as off late.

@Crippler is up and I can't remember anytime this season that he had not pre-drafted for an automatic pick. So, I hope that he is ok and this notice is in case he is looking here.

Saints will crush Philly or Dallas at home with two weeks.  Gina is back Baby!!!  I like what the Saints defense has been doing as off late.
Agreed. 

I just don't think they get past da Bears or Rams. 

That is the game I'm most looking forward to. (Rams vs Bears)

@Crippler is up and I can't remember anytime this season that he had not pre-drafted for an automatic pick. So, I hope that he is ok and this notice is in case he is looking here.
I have been making brutal picks while predrafting, so let’s try live and had a meeting to attend. Pre picked next pick so all is good. 

My team sucks. Picking wherever put next week but much more to choose from. Hated the 7 spot. Reached on Henry. My next pick might be my best one. 

I have been making brutal picks while predrafting, so let’s try live and had a meeting to attend. Pre picked next pick so all is good. 

My team sucks. Picking wherever put next week but much more to choose from. Hated the 7 spot. Reached on Henry. My next pick might be my best one. 
That's Fair.

Yes

Makes sense.

The other thing though, the 4 teams with byes all have high scoring QBs. Then assuming my predictions hold true, the other QBs playing next week will be Wilson, trubisky, and Jackson. I'm not sure how much a benefit luck would be even playing KC. That could be a really high scoring game so maybe it's a great pick.

Although I think Houston wins.
In a combined score for two weeks....I like the possible combinations involving Luck for two weeks....I will advance even if Luck doesn’t and I still may get one of those top 4 guys you mention plus what Luck does this week which I feel will be decent even in a loss.......I  didn’t really want any part of Wilson/Trub/Jackson as part of the combo and possibly having to roll with them moving forward...if trying to win it seemed like the play in the 4th as I didn’t feel Luck makes it back in the 5th...

In a combined score for two weeks....I like the possible combinations involving Luck for two weeks....I will advance even if Luck doesn’t and I still may get one of those top 4 guys you mention plus what Luck does this week which I feel will be decent even in a loss.......I  didn’t really want any part of Wilson/Trub/Jackson as part of the combo and possibly having to roll with them moving forward...if trying to win it seemed like the play in the 4th as I didn’t feel Luck makes it back in the 5th...
I see Ref is working on his Mahommes 1.1 narrative.  :D

Fun draft and I'm glad everyone made it back.

1.3 Melvin Gordon - Drew the third hole and was hoping for Hopkins since Elliot was a no brainer at 1.1.  From there is was a choice between Gordon, Hilton, and Ertz.  I'm sure I'm underestimating the Ravens D but I think San Diego can score on them.  They just gave up 21 to Cleveland and I watched Carolina torch them.  Ref and I stream them a couple of times and they were a huge disappointment.  Maybe Lamar Jackson's style of play will work in the playoffs but the Chargers have some decent players.  I also remember this..."Jackson completed just 13-of-31 pass attempts for 171 yards and threw two touchdowns, but also four interceptions in a 31-27 loss to Mississippi State." and this the year prior..."Louisville achieved season lows in virtually every offensive category, from points to total yards (220), and converted just twice on third down (2-of-17) in what felt like a replay of the listless loss to Houston in November that set the Cardinals on a three-game losing streak to end the season.  Except in this game, Louisville failed to score a touchdown for the first time all season."  Gordon IMO also offered the best potential for points next week so I pulled the trigger.

2.6 Lamar Miller - Very glad Holloway went Burton and left Miller.  That said, it was a coin flip between him and Mack.  In hindsight, I probably go with Mack.

3.3 Tyler Lockett - Obiously was hoping Baldwin would last one more pick.  Huge drop-off from him to Lockett.  After Lockett it seem like a another drop off to the next WR which most of you agreed with because the next WR went at 4.5 to Holloway.

4.6 Chicago Bears - I had several WRs in the same bucket and knew one would make it back to me.  RB was was empty outside of Gus v. Chicago and all the TEs look the same.  Decided da Bears offered the best potential for some separation from the field.

5.3 Cole Beasley - My preference was Gallup but Oz snaked me again.  Like round 3, I picked up the next option on the same team.  Brown was sticking out like a sore thumb per Dodds.  Carter, Tate, TyWilliams were also considerations.  At the time, Beasley seemed like he had the lowest floor.  I gave strong consideration to Wilson here, but knew I would be happy with Trubisky  or Dak or Rivers as a consolation if I passed and only three could be picked before my next pick.

6.6 Keekee Coutee - With this being a two week contest and having drafted so conservatively thus far, I decided to swing for the fences here.  He may not play and I take a donut.  If his plays, he has the highest ceiling of anyone left in the draft.   Briefly looked at QB but three I liked were still on board.

7.3 Russel Wilson - Oz took Trubisky and Rivers had gone earlier so the pool was starting to get thin.  IMO Wilson has a decent floor.

8.6 Wendall Smallwood - Not thrilled with him, but it was late and he should get touches.  I had debated TE but knew one of the guys in the current tier would last.

9.3 Ed Dickinson - Griffin, Thomas, Henry, Goedert, Gates, Dickinson, Vannett...I never had a preference.  While usually I like Holloway's two TE and create scarcity strategy, I don't think the pool of available players played to this strategy in this draft.

10.6 Cody Parkay - The top rated kicker per Dodds for what it's worth.

Don't love it or hate it.  Just hope to score enough to be in contention for the top 4 next week.

@BassNBrew I had to laugh a bit. I hate drafting next to you, we tend to take each others players.

I'm glad you took Miller. I would have but didn't really want to double up on Texans. 

Totally agree with your logic. 

Go Texans!

Fun draft and I'm glad everyone made it back.

1.3 Melvin Gordon - Drew the third hole and was hoping for Hopkins since Elliot was a no brainer at 1.1.  From there is was a choice between Gordon, Hilton, and Ertz.  I'm sure I'm underestimating the Ravens D but I think San Diego can score on them.  They just gave up 21 to Cleveland and I watched Carolina torch them.  Ref and I stream them a couple of times and they were a huge disappointment.  Maybe Lamar Jackson's style of play will work in the playoffs but the Chargers have some decent players.  I also remember this..."Jackson completed just 13-of-31 pass attempts for 171 yards and threw two touchdowns, but also four interceptions in a 31-27 loss to Mississippi State." and this the year prior..."Louisville achieved season lows in virtually every offensive category, from points to total yards (220), and converted just twice on third down (2-of-17) in what felt like a replay of the listless loss to Houston in November that set the Cardinals on a three-game losing streak to end the season.  Except in this game, Louisville failed to score a touchdown for the first time all season."  Gordon IMO also offered the best potential for points next week so I pulled the trigger.

2.6 Lamar Miller - Very glad Holloway went Burton and left Miller.  That said, it was a coin flip between him and Mack.  In hindsight, I probably go with Mack.

3.3 Tyler Lockett - Obiously was hoping Baldwin would last one more pick.  Huge drop-off from him to Lockett.  After Lockett it seem like a another drop off to the next WR which most of you agreed with because the next WR went at 4.5 to Holloway.

4.6 Chicago Bears - I had several WRs in the same bucket and knew one would make it back to me.  RB was was empty outside of Gus v. Chicago and all the TEs look the same.  Decided da Bears offered the best potential for some separation from the field.

5.3 Cole Beasley - My preference was Gallup but Oz snaked me again.  Like round 3, I picked up the next option on the same team.  Brown was sticking out like a sore thumb per Dodds.  Carter, Tate, TyWilliams were also considerations.  At the time, Beasley seemed like he had the lowest floor.  I gave strong consideration to Wilson here, but knew I would be happy with Trubisky  or Dak or Rivers as a consolation if I passed and only three could be picked before my next pick.

6.6 Keekee Coutee - With this being a two week contest and having drafted so conservatively thus far, I decided to swing for the fences here.  He may not play and I take a donut.  If his plays, he has the highest ceiling of anyone left in the draft.   Briefly looked at QB but three I liked were still on board.

7.3 Russel Wilson - Oz took Trubisky and Rivers had gone earlier so the pool was starting to get thin.  IMO Wilson has a decent floor.

8.6 Wendall Smallwood - Not thrilled with him, but it was late and he should get touches.  I had debated TE but knew one of the guys in the current tier would last.

9.3 Ed Dickinson - Griffin, Thomas, Henry, Goedert, Gates, Dickinson, Vannett...I never had a preference.  While usually I like Holloway's two TE and create scarcity strategy, I don't think the pool of available players played to this strategy in this draft.

10.6 Cody Parkay - The top rated kicker per Dodds for what it's worth.

Don't love it or hate it.  Just hope to score enough to be in contention for the top 4 next week.
Agreed, I did create the void, but the remaining TEs were all so bad that few reached early for them, so little value fell.

1.4 Ertz PHI - with the TE scoring, it is typically a solid strategy to get the best one. Ertz will likely score well in week one, but doubtful that he is there in week 2

2.5 Burton CHI - again, the TE scoring and I really like Chicago to advance so this allows me to have a top TE in week two regardless

3.4 N. Hines IND - with no QBs being drafted and no TEs being drafted, this was my choice in the third round. He will get touches but oh man

4.5 T. Gabriel CHI - again, not much value. I do see Chicago passing more than usual and maybe this guy can get behind Philly's lackluster DBs for a long score. Potential keeper in week 2

5.4 G. Tate PHI - again, not much value. Tate has not been used as I expected and especially with Foles, but he is the best I could find and gives me either or between him and Gabriel if Philly surprises, which I do not see happening

6.5 W. Snead BLT - The Ravens have not had any consistent producers in the passing game with Jackson, but this guy has been at least scoring some in most games. Think the Ravens win at home so another possible keeper

7.4 L. Jackson BLT - Finally, the guy that I preferred slipped through, even though I am apparently the contrarian here. Maybe this is a wrong call, but I like Baltimore to win again at home against the traveling Chargers in the early game. I see Jackson being involved in at least two TDs and hopefully one is a pass to Snead.

8.5 Vinateri IND - I think that he was third on my list, but I do like Indianapolis to win, so maybe it is 18-14 with six field goals

9.4 Seahawks DST - Aside from Chicago, there was not a stand-out choice for DST in my opinion. I am happy with the Seahawks as I would not be surprised for Dak Prescott to lay an egg and fully expect Coach Carroll to have the Seahawks fired up

10.5 R. Smith DAL - had several guys under consideration in rounds 4-6 but nobody ever fell that I was happy with. RB tandem here has to be league worst, but maybe Smith will get a couple or more catches.

Enjoyed the draft and really looking forward to the games and our discussions after and heading into next week. Enjoy the games everybody!

-OZ- said:
Totally agree with your logic. 

Go Texans!
Well, at least Mack is doing well.

It's not a good sign when your 9th round pick is doing better than the 1.02

BassNBrew said:

Good call.

Not so much on the 2 weeks but this one game will help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread