What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Such a proud day to be an American (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
The first ever congresswoman of Somali descent just tweeted a picture from two decades ago when she and her parents came to the airport in Washington DC to eventually become citizens. This morning she and her parents arrived at the same airport to witness her swearing in to the Congress. 

Somali Americans. Muslim Americans. Lesbians. Women. Today is historic. It’s the new America and I am really proud. Just wanted to stop the usual political discussion and make that point. It’s a wonderful, amazing day. 

The first ever congresswoman of Somali descent just tweeted a picture from two decades ago when she and her parents came to the airport in Washington DC to eventually become citizens. This morning she and her parents arrived at the same airport to witness her swearing in to the Congress. 

Somali Americans. Muslim Americans. Lesbians. Women. Today is historic. It’s the new America and I am really proud. Just wanted to stop the usual political discussion and make that point. It’s a wonderful, amazing day. 
tweet

Debbie Mucarsel-Powell from Miami is the first Ecuadorean-American to serve in Congress. She knows alot about healthcare and gun violence. She can help Trump deal with Assange. She's replacing Curbelo. 

I voted for Donna Shalala, who is replacing retiring Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. Shalala may be the most qualified Representative ever. Health care policy wonk and longest serving HHS Secretary, Peace Core, Iran, academic administration. She's done it all at a high level. 

Both supported Pelosi from the beginning. Like Tim, I'm truly proud to be an American today. On Jan 8, I'll be a little less proud when Medicare fraudster Rick Scott is sworn in.

I, for one, get excited about electing the most qualified candidates to do the best work for our country.

If that's her, great! But I certainly hope she didn't get voted in on the fact of her minority status. That would not be the best outcome for the majority.

Ever worry that a white guy was hired just because he was a white guy?

I highly doubt it.
I don't worry about that because if he's running against other white guys, there's no potential bias for voters to make a bad decision.

If it's 10 white guys against a Somali Lesbian Muslim, hot chance there's bias towards the latter. Especially in this political climate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't worry about that because if he's running against other white guys, there's no potential bias for voters to make a bad decision.

If it's 10 white guys against a Somali Lesbian Muslim, hot chance there's bias towards the latter. Especially in this politcal climate.
This is so incredibly false I don't even know where to begin.

Completely and utterly detached from reality.

This is so incredibly false I don't even know where to begin.

Completely and utterly detached from reality.
In other words, similar to a typical comment made  by the POTUS. Around 40% of the people in this country remain all in on this thinking.

At least I know I am free.
As cheesy as Greenwood’s lyrics are (and that song really does make me ill at times) when he mentions the men who died for this country, THIS is what they died for. So that a woman from Somolia  could come here and be one of us, and eventually lead us. 

That probably sounds sappy but I’m in a sappy mood. 

I, for one, get excited about electing the most qualified candidates to do the best work for our country.

If that's her, great! But I certainly hope she didn't get voted in on the fact of her minority status. That would not be the best outcome for the majority.
IMO this is a very short-sighted perspective both on Congress (it's not a sports team, it's a representative body that almost certainly can't do its best work for the country without a diversity of experiences and viewpoints) and the value of diverse representation in the broader sense.

IMO this is a very short-sighted perspective both on Congress (it's not a sports team, it's a representative body that almost certainly can't do its best work for the country without a diversity of experiences and viewpoints) and the value of diverse representation in the broader sense.
I'm sure it will be fine. It's a perspective thing. I'm all for progress. 

Hope she does a great job.

Republicans elected 30 white males and one white female. That is CLEARLY based on race based decisions. No way that happens by accident. They should be the ones doing some explaining. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/14/congress-diversity-democrats-republicans-photo

Yes, squelch all dissenting opinions and really make this an echo chamber!
He wasn't squelched, he was ignored. Permanently ignored. He can continue to post stupid/hateful/ignorant remarks, but another poster is choosing to ignore it.

I’m new to the forums. I don’t get the ignore or reporting stuff. Maybe I just haven’t been here long enough to be that frustrated. It reminds me of someone in charge surrounding himself with yes men. Maybe I’m not so important and have the time some others don’t, but I love all the different reading material.

So your conclusion here is the Republicans are a party of and for racists and white men?  
That's your conclusion.

But to be fair, the facts seem to back up your assertion.

What’s your conclusion then?
Well, we can be sure that what the party stands for does not interest people other than white males nearly as much as the Ds. Why is this? That could be a great topic for a new thread. I think we could both agree that just based on any polling numbers, Rs appeal to white males and very little else.

Users who are viewing this thread