What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My son got a ####### 8 on a test and forged my signature (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
He's 9 and in 4th grade. In beside myself right now. The test was in science and he never even told me he had a test otherwise I would have studied with him. I was just checking his grades online and saw the 8 (as in 8%) and questioned him about it and after some time he fessed up to forging my signature. In so upset right now. He never deceived me like this before. What do I do? Do I tell the teacher? Does he deserve a huge punishment. What happened to my innocent boy?

Sorry after more questioning he said he didn't forge my signature, just handed it back without a signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was likely very nervous/scared about the result.  Made a dumb decision that might or might not have been influenced by friends.  Talk to him about it, have a punishment that is not too overboard, but let him know that the hammer drops if it happens again.  Then work on the reasons for the grade and decision making.

Call the teacher and find out if he really handed it back without a signature (or if he's lying to you again).

A grounding is in order here. If he has any electronics, they need to be taken away for a while.

If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying.

The boy tried to get one over in you.  It’s an age appropriate thing to attempt.  If it’s repeated then it’s a problem

Punishment is no ipad or video games Friday, Saturday or sunday. He gets a reprieve tonight since he's beside himself. 

Do I reach out to teacher?

I'd reach out to the teacher if my kid got an 8 on a test whether they lied about it or not.   There's something seriously wrong there.
Thanks. He's not doing great in school. He's very lazy and doesn't pay attention. 

Thanks. He's not doing great in school. He's very lazy and doesn't pay attention. 
No electronics M-F until you've verified with him that any homework is done and he's prepared for any quizzes, tests, projects that are coming.  Which is a pain, because you'll have to enforce it and both of you are probably used to a different routine.  But that will a) get his attention; b) ensure he's not being lazy; c) ensure he is on top of assignments.

No electronics M-F until you've verified with him that any homework is done and he's prepared for any quizzes, tests, projects that are coming.  Which is a pain, because you'll have to enforce it and both of you are probably used to a different routine.  But that will a) get his attention; b) ensure he's not being lazy; c) ensure he is on top of assignments.
I check all his homework every night and study for every test with him. He's being tutored for reading. He's good in math but sometimes doesn't read the question. This is the first test I didn't know about. I have no clue what it was on. 

I don't think it's appropriate to call a 9-year-old M-F.  :angry:

shadyridr said:

Punishment is no ipad or video games Friday, Saturday or sunday. He gets a reprieve tonight since he's beside himself.

That's too lenient, IMO. He didn't just commit one offense here:

1. he didn't study.
2. he forged your signature.
3. he didn't tell you about the test result.
4. he lied about forging your signature.

Multiple MAJOR offenses call for serious punishment. He shouldn't have access to any electronics until he retakes the test and passes it.

IMO.

Sorry, shady.

Is he lazy, or is there a chance he has something else going on. A bunch of friends have realized around that age that their kid is on the spectrum or has dyslexia. 

Is it possible he may have something else going on? There are treatments if it turns out there is an undiagnosed reason for being lazy and ambivalent in school. Good luck.

Sorry, shady.

Is he lazy, or is there a chance he has something else going on. A bunch of friends have realized around that age that their kid is on the spectrum or has dyslexia. 
I've always wondered if he has some type of ADHD. 

Sounds like a good kid if he is feeling guilty and ashamed.  All kids get to a point where a father's disappointment is far greater than any punishment.  I think the time for you and your wife to self reflect on what you did that your kid thought it was a better alternative to lie and forge your signature.  Somehow this is your fault.   GL. 

Sorry, shady.

His reading comprehension is awful. It hurts him in all subjects and even math with their damn word problems. It's why we got him a tutor and he seemed to be doing better. 

I check all his homework every night and study for every test with him. He's being tutored for reading. He's good in math but sometimes doesn't read the question. This is the first test I didn't know about. I have no clue what it was on. 
This is the first test you know you didn't know about

That's too lenient, IMO. He didn't just commit one offense here:

1. he didn't study.
2. he forged your signature.
3. he didn't tell you about the test result.
4. he lied about forging your signature.

Multiple MAJOR offenses call for serious punishment. He shouldn't have access to any electronics until he retakes the test and passes it.

IMO.
Daddy?

He's 9 and in 4th grade. In beside myself right now. The test was in science and he never even told me he had a test otherwise I would have studied with him. I was just checking his grades online and saw the 8 (as in 8%) and questioned him about it and after some time he fessed up to forging my signature. In so upset right now. He never deceived me like this before. What do I do? Do I tell the teacher? Does he deserve a huge punishment. What happened to my innocent boy?

Sorry after more questioning he said he didn't forge my signature, just handed it back without a signature.
Back in my day this would constitute a butt whooping. So I guess nowadays you take his cellphone and delete his save files?

"Actions have consequences young man."

Or alternatively, maybe the issue isn't what he did but thay he is struggling in school.

He didn't want you to know he did bad. He was ashamed of himself. Has to be a stressful situation for a little kid.

I could fool my own mother with my dad's signature when I was in school.

Had to get one of my other siblings to learn my mom's chicken scratch.

I know this doesn't help but I am who I am.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I haven’t read all the replies but me personally, I would be more worried about making an 8% than the forgery (since it seems like it’s the first time).  Sounds like he panicked and didn’t want to get in trouble - every kids does that at some point.  Still gets punished and explained that’s completely unacceptable but I’d be talking to the teacher about the 8% tomorrow.

Don't like the deceit.  I'd set up a parent/teacher conference and make him tell the teacher what he did.  Then like another poster said whether it's called for or not have him study and retake the test. Even if it doesn't count.  You have to fix the lazy student/lack of effort thing now.  

Don't like the deceit.  I'd set up a parent/teacher conference and make him tell the teacher what he did.  Then like another poster said whether it's called for or not have him study and retake the test. Even if it doesn't count.  You have to fix the lazy student/lack of effort thing now.  
I'm sure you know that the world also needs ditch diggers.

First I’d relax before deciding anything in particular. Punishment is warranted but don’t start the loop of punishment for being caught only without understanding what he was thinking to help him see where this went south.

Why did he think you’d not find out about the grade or the forgery? My son is clear about the village between teachers, friends, after care folks, etc., and the ability for anyone to punish him or tell us what’s going on. 

Why are you also finding this out from him? The teacher doesn’t reach out when a student makes an 8 or has a 9 year old forging stuff?

He's in his room crying his eyes out now.
Then he knows how bad he messed up.

I stole some candy for a department store at that age. The store brought the cops in.

When my dad got home, he said he thought I'd been through enough and that I had learned my lesson, but to never do that again.

I've always remembered the way he handled that and was grateful he didn't make things worse for me.

Give the kid a break and a good talk and hug him.

If you make this about your anger, he will learn that anger.

Users who are viewing this thread