Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Faust

Dynasty: QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

On 1/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, tex said:

Don't really know why, but I feel like Haskins will be the 2nd coming of Cardale Jones.

Haskins seems to be to be a lot better with his accuracy. I think Haskins might be more mature and the desire to be a franchise Qb more prevalent. Jones seems like he likes to play video games and party. I don't know if that is true but Haskins seems to me to be light years ahead of Jones as a prospect. I'm always nervous about a Qb with only one year of production. Jeff Blake anyone??  That said he is a top ten pick in today's NFL. Jones was never going to be that.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 4:36 PM, Dr. Dan said:

Honestly, I'm not sold mostly due to his college system. He had a lot of good support around him, although 50:8 td:ints is impressive. I cant help but lump him in with prior Ohio state QBs like Jones because Ohio state has been just awful at producing NFL QBs. I mean who is the last QB from the Buckeyes who had a successful career at QB in the NFL? I'm willing to listen, I just have Ohio state/Meyer QBs on my do not draft list until they start producing NFL QBs. 

Lets look at Urban Meyers QBs

Why will Haskins be any different? 

With regards to Daniel Jones, I like his production within his situation, his coaching experience, and his dual threat ability. Yes, one could say who is the last successful Duke QB in the NFL, but the point is that Duke hasnt really had a successful football program, or even QBs worth considering for starting NFL gigs. I think he could be a star. 

Like I said, I'm willing to listen and adjust my opinion. right now I dont feel good drafting a qb from a program (And coach) that hasnt historically produced NFL caliber QBs. 

eta: the one thing helping Haskins' potential, IMO, is these coaches coming in and putting more college style spread systems in. Thay could benefit him, but he would have to go to the right team. I'm not sure any of the QB needy teams run this kind of offense. 

He was not like any Qb we have had since Joe Germaine or Bobby Hoying. Haskins was a true pocket passer. More Ryan Day than Urban Meyer at that position this year. Makes you wonder why we went and got Justin Fields and not rolling with Martell. I think it's because Day sees something in Fields that he likes in his offense where Martell fits Urban's offense like a glove.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

yes I've seen a couple games where I'm not convinced hes a stud. I'll admit I dont watch a great deal of college football. 

Everything I read about him says his negatives include the deep ball, mostly because he wasnt asked to do it much in college. and he was receivers who bailed him out on inaccurate throws.  :shrug:not my words

As a guy that watched every snap of his this year, I'd agree with the deep ball shakiness. I disagree with the receivers bailing him out, though, I'd argue there were a lot of "could be" long TD tosses that were dropped or the WR didn't make the contested catch. 

Completely objective here, I think his biggest weakness is knowing when to escape the pocket and tuck it, or throw it away. He also has spells where, on repeat plays, he seemed to focus on the WR/TE that was open the first time the play was called. This was frustrating on crucial 3rd downs.

What I do know is he made 3 to 4 throws a game that were Sunday throws and made me say "Wow." Ready to buckle up and see what he does in the NFL, but just please not in the NFC East.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SeanTaylor21 said:

Completely objective here, I think his biggest weakness is knowing when to escape the pocket and tuck it, or throw it away. 

I've read this as well

he’s not a sure fire prospect by any means, but i think someone will take a chance on him early. he’s a good prospect. 

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah lists Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins 15th on his updated draft board.

That's the highest any quarterback comes in on Jeremiah's top 50 prospects. Missouri's Drew Lock comes in 23rd with Duke's Daniel Jones right behind at 24, and Oklahoma's Kyler Murray comes in 29th. This has pretty much been the consensus order of the top prospects at the position, although some have had the signal-callers a little higher. After throwing for 50 touchdowns and leading Ohio State to a 12-1 record, we can see Haskins going in the top 10, and it's important to note that a board is not the same as a mock.

Source: NFL.com 

Jan 22 - 8:15 PM