What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (5 Viewers)

can't hit the ocean with a beach ball 50% comp percentage. Akili Smith is back! don't believe the ESPN hype-  Haskins isn't all-that. 

can't hit the ocean with a beach ball 50% comp percentage. Akili Smith is back! don't believe the ESPN hype-  Haskins isn't all-that. 
Probably best to watch his snaps last night for yourself and decide--he looked far better than 50% would indicate. Yes, he overthrew a couple deeper attempts to scrubs down the right sideline (without either of his two 4.3 starters playing, to be fair). But he also had 3 or so other balls that could and probably should have been caught. Passes where he stepped up in the pocket, made the read, and let it rip like he should, but it wasn't perfect--those are still caught by NFL WRs every week, but he's playing with backups and more specifically without the top 4 receiving options the team will have week 1 (Reed, Richardson, McLaurin, Quinn). 

The completion percentage looks bad but eye test wise, he looks like a natural honestly. More comfortable moving around the pocket (other than a late sack he could have avoided imo), keeping his eyes downfield, and using his limited mobility to his advantage than I expected. And his arm is capable of some beautiful, effortless throws. 

He's not ready, but it's more to do with his drops and his footwork effecting his ball placement than his raw accuracy imo. Your Akili Smith comparison is not good, from what I've seen.

Doesn't mean he'll keep developing, doesn't mean the situation will allow it--the Skins could easily ruin him.

Just giving the other viewpoint. He doesn't look horrid despite the numbers so far and despite Gruden throwing away most 1st and 2nd downs by running up the gut for 2 yards and a cloud of dust. 

ConnSKINS26 said:
Probably best to watch his snaps last night for yourself and decide--he looked far better than 50% would indicate. Yes, he overthrew a couple deeper attempts to scrubs down the right sideline (without either of his two 4.3 starters playing, to be fair). But he also had 3 or so other balls that could and probably should have been caught. Passes where he stepped up in the pocket, made the read, and let it rip like he should, but it wasn't perfect--those are still caught by NFL WRs every week, but he's playing with backups and more specifically without the top 4 receiving options the team will have week 1 (Reed, Richardson, McLaurin, Quinn). 

The completion percentage looks bad but eye test wise, he looks like a natural honestly. More comfortable moving around the pocket (other than a late sack he could have avoided imo), keeping his eyes downfield, and using his limited mobility to his advantage than I expected. And his arm is capable of some beautiful, effortless throws. 

He's not ready, but it's more to do with his drops and his footwork effecting his ball placement than his raw accuracy imo. Your Akili Smith comparison is not good, from what I've seen.

Doesn't mean he'll keep developing, doesn't mean the situation will allow it--the Skins could easily ruin him.

Just giving the other viewpoint. He doesn't look horrid despite the numbers so far and despite Gruden throwing away most 1st and 2nd downs by running up the gut for 2 yards and a cloud of dust. 

This is his only glaring flaw to me. Hes confident but not cocky, seems smart and humble. I've read he asks a lot of questions. Marino was slow as dirt but one of the most elusive guys who ever played so its possible. If Haskins can read a defense quickly enough to beat the blitz he'll be fine. If he can't he'll be a sitting duck. 

Is he closer to Marino or Drew Bledsoe? Byron Leftwich?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is his only glaring flaw to me. Hes confident but not cocky, seems smart and humble. I've read he asks a lot of questions. Marino was slow as dirt but one of the most elusive guys who ever played so its possible. If Haskins can read a defense quickly enough to beat the blitz he'll be fine. If he can't he'll be a sitting duck. 

Is he closer to Marino or Drew Bledsoe? Byron Leftwich?
Leftwich was a statue, but to me it was always exacerbated by his sloooow release. Haskins doesn't have that issue at all, he's got a whip when he knows where he's going with it and can throw off-platform--not as well as Romo used to or Mahomes now, but he's got that improvisation gene. 

Back to his mobility...I've been pleasantly surprised given what I expected from his 40 time and most scouting reports. He's got a decent feel for when to tuck and run, and though he's loathe to do it when he could keep his eyes downfield instead, he has a little more giddyup than I was lead to believe. He's slow but coordinated. It's never going to be a feature of his game but I think he could have some young Big Ben in him if his anticipation is there in the future, ie. throwing with defenders hanging off of him while being able to scramble for 4-5 yards when necessary. 

If the protection is there I don't think it will be a negative to his game. Big IF there though. His best chance will be that he's got a computer for a brain. If he develops well he's the type of guy who could be able to feast on blitzes just by being able to diagnose them early and find the open man. 

All I'm going to say is if they start Haskins with THAT line, he's going to die on the field. Let Haskins learn a full year or so, or let him QB the last 3 games to get a look at him. When I made all my posts regarding Haskins with the Giants, I looked at him in the same way; let him learn behind a vet QB/coaches and refine his process. One of the best things about Haskins is his work ethic and hunger to be great... let him work.

Rich Eisen Show‏Verified account @RichEisenShow

"the (Redskins) coaching staff never was on board with the selection (of Dwayne Haskins)... there is a riff between the front office, who wants him to play, and the coaching staff." -@joelklatt

9:41 AM - 27 Sep 2019

------------------------------------

❓❔ :confused:

Rich Eisen Show‏Verified account @RichEisenShow

"the (Redskins) coaching staff never was on board with the selection (of Dwayne Haskins)... there is a riff between the front office, who wants him to play, and the coaching staff." -@joelklatt

9:41 AM - 27 Sep 2019

------------------------------------

❓❔ :confused:

Bruce Allen owns Gruden entirely, so if they wanted Haskins to play he'd be playing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Gruden wasn't fully on board with the Haskins selection--Haskins barely started a season since high school and Gruden is on the hot seat. Wanting to use that 1st round pick to improve his chances at making the playoffs and keeping his job was probably Gruden's priority.

I don't expect Gruden to be here in the future. If I'm lucky, neither will Bruce Allen. So none of this matters to me, as I think Haskins is talented, will flash down the stretch when he eventually plays for a doomed Gruden, and will actually be seen as an enticement for whatever HC they hire, just as working with Mayfield was seen as a perk to interviewing for the Browns job. 

and will actually be seen as an enticement for whatever HC they hire, just as working with Mayfield was seen as a perk to interviewing for the Browns job. 
Certainly they will be enticed, but this hasn't worked well for both Baker and Sam Darnold's coaches so far. An unmitigated "ouch."

Certainly they will be enticed, but this hasn't worked well for both Baker and Sam Darnold's coaches so far. An unmitigated "ouch."

Truth, but for different reasons. Kitchens isn't calling the types of plays that made him successful down the stretch (paired with Baker not looking as good), while Darnold couldn't resist a return trip to make out with half of USC apparently. Two kinda weird situations with both guys having lots of upside still.

The long term future of Haskins depends heavily on who the next GM of the Skins is, and who he hires as a HC...if they even ditch Bruce Allen and replace him with someone competent. 

My only point is that whoever they do interview for the HC opening will likely want the opportunity to work with Haskins anyways, but will only be offered the job if they're enthusiastic about him in the first place. Who knows how it all goes down though. 

Truth, but for different reasons. Kitchens isn't calling the types of plays that made him successful down the stretch (paired with Baker not looking as good), while Darnold couldn't resist a return trip to make out with half of USC apparently. Two kinda weird situations with both guys having lots of upside still.

The long term future of Haskins depends heavily on who the next GM of the Skins is, and who he hires as a HC...if they even ditch Bruce Allen and replace him with someone competent. 

My only point is that whoever they do interview for the HC opening will likely want the opportunity to work with Haskins anyways, but will only be offered the job if they're enthusiastic about him in the first place. Who knows how it all goes down though. 
I read the 'Skins thread, and it always, and in my opinion also, comes back to the owner. Total albatross and that's why Bruce Allen wields so much clout. It's really Snyder. At the heart of it is Snyder, and has been since he took over. 

I read the 'Skins thread, and it always, and in my opinion also, comes back to the owner. Total albatross and that's why Bruce Allen wields so much clout. It's really Snyder. At the heart of it is Snyder, and has been since he took over. 
Absolutely. Absent a conveniently placed blood clot that probably isn't changing for decades, either. I tend to talk Washington football on sites specifically for that and keep most of my posts here to fantasy stuff, and trust me on those sites Snyder is THE culprit and target of vitriol. Everyone agrees with you for sure. There is still slight hope that we stumble ###-backwards into the fairytale GM candidate who can build a team AND keep Snyder happy with the ###-kissing office politics that Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen have been so proficient in. Right now the candidate leading the clubhouse among Skins fans is Kyle Smith, A.J. Smith's son, who allegedly has a great eye for college talent while still showing he can survive the viper pit that is the Skins FO so far...many of us fans are hoping the rampant nepotism in the NFL pays off for us for once and that this young guy has the perfect cocktail needed to survive under Snyder but thrive in building a roster...I even believe that when things someday end with Allen (and it will end amicably as Snyder will frame the firing as a necessity due to fan and media pressure and pure bad luck) that he may even recommend Kyle Smith on his way out the door, as A.J. is a close friend of Bruce 's. 

It's probably a pipe dream, but it's the best one we've got right now. 

It's probably a pipe dream, but it's the best one we've got right now. 
You probably know this from growing up in CT, but it took the Red Sox new ownership, unfettered, to bring one home finally. Sometimes it starts and ends there. But in the meantime, there's hope of appeasement all around, I guess. Snyder has never been portrayed well in the media down in D.C. (from the beginning) and it indeed seems like he's either kind of a jagbag or totally tone deaf.

You probably know this from growing up in CT, but it took the Red Sox new ownership, unfettered, to bring one home finally. Sometimes it starts and ends there. But in the meantime, there's hope of appeasement all around, I guess. Snyder has never been portrayed well in the media down in D.C. (from the beginning) and it indeed seems like he's either kind of a jagbag or totally tone deaf.

True.

Yeah he sucks all around. Not even a lovable loser type. 

Dwayne Haskins completed 9-of-17 passes for 107 yards and three touchdowns in the Redskins' Week 4 loss to the Giants.

Case Keenum started, but he was pulled in the first half after throwing an interception and picking up only 37 yards on his first 11 pass attempts. Haskins came in, but the Redskins were without their two best pass-catchers (Terry McLaurin and Jordan Reed) and were already down multiple scores. Haskins' situation was as bad as it gets, but he did underthrow a few passes and stayed in the pocket too long at times. Haskins should get a full week of first-team reps and he'll need them against the Patriots' defensive juggernaut.
 three touchdowns
So  Rotoworld you trying to tell me something here and can I get hired after you fire the update dude?

What the #### were they doing? He got no reps throughout the week, then they throw him in down by 14 taking everyone by surprise. Now you’re going to give him his first start vs NE against a coach that eats rookie QB’s alive. SMH.

What the #### were they doing? He got no reps throughout the week, then they throw him in down by 14 taking everyone by surprise. Now you’re going to give him his first start vs NE against a coach that eats rookie QB’s alive. SMH.
Keenum did miss a couple wide open TDs but I was surprised to see Haskins in there.   Gruden trying to save/extend his job or Snyder called down with it.

Iceman03 said:
Not smart at all. At least -- I mean at least -- wait until halftime and then use Thompson as a check down option every down. 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Redskins coach Jay Gruden has "supreme confidence" in Colt McCoy and will consider starting him against the Patriots in Week 5.

After getting off to a poor start in Week 4, Case Keenum was unceremoniously benched for rookie Dwayne Haskins, who promptly served up three interceptions in a disheartening loss to the Giants. Haskins is undoubtedly the Redskins' quarterback of the future, though inserting him against the Patriots' league-best defense in Week 5 could be a recipe for disaster. Gruden is also coaching for his job at this point and needs a win any way he can get it. McCoy missed much of the offseason while recovering from a broken leg but appears to finally be at full strength. Rapoport also noted the Redskins aren't going to simply "hand" the job to Haskins despite his first-round pedigree. Whoever the Redskins land on as their starter for Week 5, we wouldn't expect much against a New England defense that has yielded a single touchdown through four weeks.

RELATED: 

Case Keenum

, Dwayne Haskins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 8:55 AM ET

"Haskins is undoubtedly the Redskins' quarterback of the future" might be the least accurate thing ever written in the history of fantasy football writing.

McCoy now? Haskins, Keenum? Get e'm all in there buddy. One each quarter. Be innovative.

What was that you said about continuity? :lmao:

"I think the most important thing is we have to have some continuity," Gruden said. "You know, I can't be changing people every five minutes here. I've got to give Case an ample opportunity to play with these new guys. 

Will someone fire this guy?

Jay Gruden on the Redskins QB plan for Sunday: “We don’t have one right now.”

https://twitter.com/noraprinciotti/status/1179426723110281216?s=21

Well Jay, since you and your infinite football knowledge knows so much more than everyone and you’re so great why don’t you put yourself out there with Erick Flowers blocking for you and play QB like your arena league days. 

Guy has to be in the running for worst coach in football right now and Washington definitely looks like they are the most incompetent franchise. (Miami is losing on purpose)

‘Coaching malpractice’: Analysts rip Jay Gruden for playing Dwayne Haskins against Giants

Excerpt:

While Jay Gruden on Monday declined to name a starting quarterback for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots, vowing to play the person he thinks will give his team the best chance to win, the Redskins coach faced criticism for his decision to play rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins in Washington’s loss to the New York Giants.

Given the Redskins’ numerous injuries to offensive starters and that Gruden had repeatedly said the first-round draft pick wasn’t ready to play, former Redskins scout and director of player personnel Louis Riddick, now an analyst with ESPN, called the move “one of the worst decisions” he has seen this year “as far as how people are handling young quarterbacks."

“Why would you put him in there under any circumstances?” Riddick said on ESPN’s “Monday Night Countdown.” “It reeks of an agenda, to me, as far as he’s not ready to play, the team is suffering. You’ve heard all along, going back to the draft, that the front office wanted one [quarterback in the draft], the coaching staff wanted another guy. That type of thing, right off the bat, you think Dwayne Haskins doesn’t hear that? You think he feels totally supported in this entire process? I talk all the time about setting people up for success. That young man, right now, is being set up for failure, and [team owner] Dan Snyder needs to recognize that. … He should’ve never went in that football game [on Sunday].”

Riddick’s ESPN colleague Stephen A. Smith agreed and called for Gruden to be fired immediately.

“I’m all about people getting their money, and I hope that Jay Gruden keeps his money,” Smith said Monday on “First Take.” “The man’s got to go. I’m talking about now. Jay Gruden needs to go now. He’s not the guy. [Sunday] was an indictment against him. I thought we saw a guy in Dwayne Haskins that Jay Gruden had no intentions of playing, who was ill-prepared to be in that game. … Dwayne Haskins did not look like somebody that had been practicing [with the first team]. You can’t do that to that kid.”

“I call it coaching malpractice,” former NFL quarterback Dan Orlovsky replied. “That’s often why we see young quarterbacks in the NFL get ruined.”

Doug Kyed @DougKyed

Jay Gruden says the Redskins don’t currently have a plan at QB. Says he might wait until Sunday at 1 pm. He might have been joking.

Doug Kyed @DougKyed

I asked Jay Gruden about how he would prepare Dwayne Haskins for the Patriots' disguise presnap, and he went off about how it starts with protecting the quarterback. 

"If we don't have good protection and we can't get separation, Tom Brady wouldn't have any success here."

Is Gruden trying to get himself fired, so he can take the rest of the year off while getting paid? This is ridiculous.

And Haskins looked like a headlight blinded deer last week. He's FAR from ready and so is this team from being able to support him. If they start him this week against the best defense in the league (by far) it would be one of the dumbest moves ever by an org. 

Hopefully for him and them, Gruden does have a plan to start McCoy, but is being obtuse to try to disarm Big Belly. It won't work, but that would at least be a reasonable explanation for this week's supposed no plan.

According to Les Carpenter of the Washington Post, Redskins coach Jay Gruden was not in favor of drafting Dwayne Haskins.

Per Carpenter, Gruden preferred a more experienced quarterback but was overruled by owner Daniel Snyder, who was all in on Haskins. That's not lost on Haskins, who has has reportedly "sensed" that he wasn't Gruden's choice. It's telling that Gruden has been reluctant to commit to Haskins as his starter, even when his only other options are journeyman Case Keenum and career backup Colt McCoy. The good news for Haskins is that Gruden will probably be gone at the end of the year, if not before then.

SOURCE: Washington Post

Oct 4, 2019, 10:41 AM ET

Is Gruden trying to get himself fired, so he can take the rest of the year off while getting paid? This is ridiculous.

And Haskins looked like a headlight blinded deer last week. He's FAR from ready and so is this team from being able to support him. If they start him this week against the best defense in the league (by far) it would be one of the dumbest moves ever by an org. 

Hopefully for him and them, Gruden does have a plan to start McCoy, but is being obtuse to try to disarm Big Belly. It won't work, but that would at least be a reasonable explanation for this week's supposed no plan.
I personally believe he is. He’s acting like Lane Kiffin right now.

Coach Jay Gruden confirmed Friday that Colt McCoy will start for the Redskins' Week 5 matchup against the Patriots.

Gruden kept this decision close to the vest for whatever reason throughout the week, but all signs have pointed to McCoy. His reward for winning the QB competition is a matchup against the league's single-best defense, which has allowed one offensive touchdown since the Super Bowl. None of Washington's skill-position players should be viewed as anything more than dart throws in this brutal spot.
Speaking Thursday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden declined to name his Week 5 quarterback.

Gruden said he "wants to see how Colt McCoy and Case Keenum respond after a day of work." Lol. Unless Gruden is actually looking out for Dwayne Haskins' well being, which seems unlikely, the Redskins' refusal to turn the reins over to their first-round quarterback is pointless and self defeating. The season was lost before it even begun. It's time to see what Haskins can do.
I mean at least Haskins gets more time to process on the bench but Jay isn't thinking about Dwyane's well-being. He just doesn't seem to like Haskins as a QB.

I just hope “growth” doesn’t mean “Snyder told me Haskins’ role had better grow fast if I want my bank account to keep growing.”

But I have my suspicions.

Forced on in relief of Case Keenum (concussion), Dwayne Haskins completed 3-of-5 passes for 33 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception in the Redskins' Week 8 loss to the Vikings.

Haskins played the entire second half, but you wouldn't guess it from his statline. A deer in headlights, Haskins looked like he had zero shot at sustaining drives, and the Redskins called plays accordingly. One of the few times Haskins cut it loose, he immediately tossed a red zone interception. The air mail to a wide open Terry McLaurin came just two plays after the Redskins pulled off a stirring fourth down stop. It's easy to see why the coaching staff has been completely against starting the No. 15 overall pick. Haskins will be in a desperate situation if Keenum can't get cleared for next week's Bills road trip.
Said it in the game thread, if he's not ready mark him Inactive and have him sit and learn his 1st year.

Users who are viewing this thread