What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (1 Viewer)

An NFL evaluator tells ESPN's Mike Sando that "you might be able to get [Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Dwayne Haskins] later in the first round."

Later in the first round? Most analysts believe Haskins will be the first quarterback off the board, and most believe that means a top-10 selection. In ESPN's quarterbacks preview, Todd McShay shared a quote from an anonymous NFL evaluator that indicates that the NFL may be a little lower than analysts. The NFL evaluator continues to compare Haskins to Teddy Bridgewater, who was the No. 32 overall pick in 2014. Since 2000, the latest the first selected quarterback was drafted was with pick No. 18 (Chad Pennington, 2000), so consider that the floor for Haskins if he continues to be the consensus QB1.

Source: ESPN 

Jan 3 - 8:51 PM

Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Dwayne Haskins has received a first round grade from the NFL's college personnel advisory board.

This is not a surprise at all, but it's more evidence that Haskins will likely end up declaring for the NFL Draft in the near future. Haskins (6'3/220) will still discuss his options with his coaches at Ohio State and with his family before making a final decision, but he's expected to play in the Rose Bowl either way. Most draft analysts, including Bleacher Report's Matt Miller, rank Dwayne Haskins as either the No. 1 or No. 2 quarterback prospect of the 2019 class. 

Sun, Dec 23, 2018 11:08:00 AM

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Dwayne Haskins as his No. 1 draft-eligible quarterback for the spring.

Haskins is Miller's No. 1 QB and sits at No. 15 on his top-50 prospect board. He writes that scouts have been "buzzing" over his play against Michigan and Northwestern to close out the year for the Big Ten champs and refers to the OSU gunslinger as the "biggest riser" of the season in terms of his stock as a draft prospect. The Athletic's Dane Brugler projected Haskins to the Jaguars at No. 6 in his latest mock draft. You can expect an official announcement from Haskins one way or another regarding the draft following Ohio State's Rose Bowl showdown with Washington on Jan. 1.

Source: Bleacher Report 

Tue, Dec 11, 2018 09:42:00 PM

giants or jax need to trade up to get him, probably pick #3 after bosa & josh allen come off the board
2 guys have potential. Haskins and Jones. 4 teams need them. TB, NYG, JAX and DEN. Tampa Bay has gone full blown stupid so they are out. However, that is a good thing because when they suck again with Winston, then give up on him the following year having nothing, they will be 1st in line to repair the Winston mistake of the century and acquire Trevor Lawrence, a generational talent. The Giants still haven't figured out Manning is done..or have they. DEN will make a move and JAX will get the other.  

2 guys have potential. Haskins and Jones. 4 teams need them. TB, NYG, JAX and DEN. Tampa Bay has gone full blown stupid so they are out. However, that is a good thing because when they suck again with Winston, then give up on him the following year having nothing, they will be 1st in line to repair the Winston mistake of the century and acquire Trevor Lawrence, a generational talent. The Giants still haven't figured out Manning is done..or have they. DEN will make a move and JAX will get the other.  
I still think Ryan Finley and Brett Rypien are going to surge up in the post draft process. 

Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Dwayne Haskins declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

This has been a widely-expected move for Heisman bronze medalist Haskins, who wrapped the 2018 season -- his lone year starting in Columbus -- having thrown for 4,831 yards (70-percent completions) with a slick 50/8 TD/INT ratio in 14 games played. As for his potential draft slot, there is a fair amount of variance, there. At the very least, he figures to be off the board by the end of the first round. Just how long he ends up sitting around waiting is the real question. One NL evaluator told Mike Sando of ESPN that he believes that Haskins might still be available near the end of Day 1. The other extreme would have him drafted within the top five selections come April.

Source: Dwayne Haskins on Twitter 

Jan 7 - 2:57 PM

I wish he could have lead the Buckeyes one more year but I totally get it, if I were him I would do the same thing.  I wish him nothing but the best, I will miss him, he's the QB I have wished for, for a long time.  His style of throw first I mean.  I think he was a good leader on the field from what I observed.  Ah well, I hope he wins multiple super bowls somewhere, that would be awesome for him!  And I hope he comes back to root on his Buckeyes! 

GO BUCKS!!!

I will be very surprised if he is still there after the first 10 have been picked.
Just to follow up on this, QBs tend to get drafted ahead of their initial draft position. Teams like the jags and giants can't just sit there and go with what they have, one may even trade up to snag this guy.

Don't really know why, but I feel like Haskins will be the 2nd coming of Cardale Jones.
there’s a lot of bias towards OSU QBs, but he’s the first guy since Germaine i actually think could have a chance in the NFL. 

i don’t think he’s a lock by any means, but i would not compare him to Jones, or Pryor, etc. 

Yeah I'm not a big fan at this point 
Did you enter bizarro world this offseason? You like Jones and not Haskins? (I don’t mean that as an insult, I have a lot of respect for your posts as you tend to take a deep dive into players. I usually see eye to eye.). One can barely scratch 60% accuracy and 3000 yds in the ACC and the other demolishes the Big Ten and has 70% both of his seasons. On top of that old school football guy Louis Riddick can’t shut up about how high level the OSU passing attack is under Ryan Day. Guy is elite at reading the field. The only concern I have is how young he is. When someone makes it look as easy as Haskins does it’s easy to think what he is doing is flukey or by design in the spread offense. I would say that take is dangerous. I remember people saying Baker’s production was inflated because of the Big 12, I would love to see someone make some excuse for why Haskins numbers are inflated.

So should the Cardinals take Haskins at #1?  I think they should at least be looking very closely at the possibility.

So should the Cardinals take Haskins at #1?  I think they should at least be looking very closely at the possibility.
I think that should be a bit dependent on what Kingsbury wants. Rosen seemed excited on twitter about the hire so I doubt they go that route unless there were discussions and he’s out of the loop. With new rookie contract structure it would be unprecidented still but not a huge blow if they pivoted. 

Is it really necessary to do this in just about every thread?  A pretty smart QB mind just signed on with the Bucs knowing full well who the QB is.  I imagine he knows better than you.

Is it really necessary to do this in just about every thread?  A pretty smart QB mind just signed on with the Bucs knowing full well who the QB is.  I imagine he knows better than you.
It's killing you guys that I nailed it and you all were completely wrong. Arians already knows he has a mess at QB. Best he can do is make a game manager out of him and build a strong D to compensate, ala Baltimore/Flacco.

It's killing you guys that I nailed it and you all were completely wrong. Arians already knows he has a mess at QB. Best he can do is make a game manager out of him and build a strong D to compensate, ala Baltimore/Flacco.
A 66 year old two time coach of the year isn't coming out of retirement if he thinks he's taking over a mess at QB. 

They didn't fire their GM who drafted Rosen so I don't see how that's even possible - but agree it's an interesting strategy and probably does make a lot of sense in that it doubles your chances of having a franchise guy and/or gives you some potential trade bait.

Does that sound like Bruce Arians to you?

They didn't fire their GM who drafted Rosen so I don't see how that's even possible - but agree it's an interesting strategy and probably does make a lot of sense in that it doubles your chances of having a franchise guy and/or gives you some potential trade bait.
Here in Buffalo on the sports talk radio shows, for years have been hearing people say "Draft a QB every single year until you find one." Many have said the same thing you did, increases your chances of finding a good one.

Did you enter bizarro world this offseason? You like Jones and not Haskins? (I don’t mean that as an insult, I have a lot of respect for your posts as you tend to take a deep dive into players. I usually see eye to eye.). One can barely scratch 60% accuracy and 3000 yds in the ACC and the other demolishes the Big Ten and has 70% both of his seasons. On top of that old school football guy Louis Riddick can’t shut up about how high level the OSU passing attack is under Ryan Day. Guy is elite at reading the field. The only concern I have is how young he is. When someone makes it look as easy as Haskins does it’s easy to think what he is doing is flukey or by design in the spread offense. I would say that take is dangerous. I remember people saying Baker’s production was inflated because of the Big 12, I would love to see someone make some excuse for why Haskins numbers are inflated.
Honestly, I'm not sold mostly due to his college system. He had a lot of good support around him, although 50:8 td:ints is impressive. I cant help but lump him in with prior Ohio state QBs like Jones because Ohio state has been just awful at producing NFL QBs. I mean who is the last QB from the Buckeyes who had a successful career at QB in the NFL? I'm willing to listen, I just have Ohio state/Meyer QBs on my do not draft list until they start producing NFL QBs. 

Lets look at Urban Meyers QBs

Why will Haskins be any different? 

With regards to Daniel Jones, I like his production within his situation, his coaching experience, and his dual threat ability. Yes, one could say who is the last successful Duke QB in the NFL, but the point is that Duke hasnt really had a successful football program, or even QBs worth considering for starting NFL gigs. I think he could be a star. 

Like I said, I'm willing to listen and adjust my opinion. right now I dont feel good drafting a qb from a program (And coach) that hasnt historically produced NFL caliber QBs. 

eta: the one thing helping Haskins' potential, IMO, is these coaches coming in and putting more college style spread systems in. Thay could benefit him, but he would have to go to the right team. I'm not sure any of the QB needy teams run this kind of offense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
lod001 said:
No, it's killing us that most of us couldn't give a crap about it and you are spewing it all over the forums.  Get over yourself already.

And your take is completely wrong - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bruce-arians-says-buccaneers-will-be-built-around-jameis-winston-thinks-qb-can-win-it-all/

Dr. Dan said:
Honestly, I'm not sold mostly due to his college system. He had a lot of good support around him, although 50:8 td:ints is impressive. I cant help but lump him in with prior Ohio state QBs like Jones because Ohio state has been just awful at producing NFL QBs. I mean who is the last QB from the Buckeyes who had a successful career at QB in the NFL? I'm willing to listen, I just have Ohio state/Meyer QBs on my do not draft list until they start producing NFL QBs. 

I’m not sure that’s fair of any college coach/QB combo... who were Phil Fulmer’s QB’s before and after Peyton Manning? Why did Lloyd Carr think Drew Henson was > Tom Brady? USC had QB after QB taken in the 2000’s but really they were abject failures in between Carson Palmer and Sam Darnold.

I guess getting down to the point is what makes you think this system inflated Jones numbers and play? JT Barrett didn’t throw for 5000 yds, Cardale Jones didn’t have 70% passing. Those guys had Micheal Thomas and Curtis Samuel (probably a few other decent pro WR’s off the top of my head). Parris Cambell and KJ Hill are fine players but they’re not world beaters. They aren’t going to come into the NFL, break the single season reception record and having you wonder why they were underutilized in college. 

I know that argument isn’t discussing technicals. I’m pretty much a novice when it comes to nuance of play calling, fundamentals, play design etc and have to lean on what I read and reliable forecasts. I think in comparison to Tua and Kyler Murray’s seasons he didn’t have the amazing efficiency they had but his season efficiency ranked 34th since the metric has existed. As always, with context, that list isn’t an end all be all but combined with his physical traits and performance in a conference not known for pouress defense I think it speaks volumes. Ohio State’s SOS was #15 in the nation. Between the Rose Bowl and Big Ten Championship he threw for 59/78 75% 8 TD 1 INT. I could and may go back and post all of his numbers against ranked opponents and I am fairly confident the numbers will explode off the page. Yes, the spread helps a QB be efficient but to what degree and if it is doing that why aren’t other QB’s at all levels having this kind of production?

Dr. Dan said:

With regards to Daniel Jones, I like his production within his situation, his coaching experience, and his dual threat ability. Yes, one could say who is the last successful Duke QB in the NFL, but the point is that Duke hasnt really had a successful football program, or even QBs worth considering for starting NFL gigs. I think he could be a star. 

Like I said, I'm willing to listen and adjust my opinion. right now I dont feel good drafting a qb from a program (And coach) that hasnt historically produced NFL caliber QBs. 

eta: the one thing helping Haskins' potential, IMO, is these coaches coming in and putting more college style spread systems in. Thay could benefit him, but he would have to go to the right team. I'm not sure any of the QB needy teams run this kind of offense. 
This is a horrible take.  Brett Favre was doomed to fail because Southern Miss never put out a good QB, right?  Good think Antonio Gates never tried to play in the NFL given that Akron never produced a good TE.  Good thing we all ignored Peyton Manning, that school never put out a good QB before that.  And of course we all knew that Brady guy would stink, coming out of a school that had never produced squat at the position.

This is a horrible take.  Brett Favre was doomed to fail because Southern Miss never put out a good QB, right?  Good think Antonio Gates never tried to play in the NFL given that Akron never produced a good TE.  Good thing we all ignored Peyton Manning, that school never put out a good QB before that.  And of course we all knew that Brady guy would stink, coming out of a school that had never produced squat at the position.

I’d give Dr. Dan a break on that one. He said he’d be open to changing his mind but that he doesn’t like what he’s seen from Haskins. That’s always fair. He takes a deep dive into the rookie player pools and usually likes highly productive players. That’s why his assessment of Haskins caught me by surprise. The causation of a players success being because of the university and his inevitable failure or success due to being in a certain coaches system has been a false correlation for a whole lot of people for a long, long time now. Nothing new. He’s actually not false to say that Urban hasn’t had a successful pro QB, that hasn’t stopped him from having two first round QB’s even if they were Tim Tebow and Alex Smith. 

No, it's killing us that most of us couldn't give a crap about it and you are spewing it all over the forums.  Get over yourself already.

And your take is completely wrong - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bruce-arians-says-buccaneers-will-be-built-around-jameis-winston-thinks-qb-can-win-it-all/
Obviously, Winston is the perfect Ariana QB: he’s big and strong so he can take the hits that come with his 5/7 step drops. Winston has the big arm to throw deep and he loves to use it. Winston is very comfortable throwing deep every possession. 

I’m not sure that’s fair of any college coach/QB combo... who were Phil Fulmer’s QB’s before and after Peyton Manning? Why did Lloyd Carr think Drew Henson was > Tom Brady? USC had QB after QB taken in the 2000’s but really they were abject failures in between Carson Palmer and Sam Darnold.

I guess getting down to the point is what makes you think this system inflated Jones numbers and play? JT Barrett didn’t throw for 5000 yds, Cardale Jones didn’t have 70% passing. Those guys had Micheal Thomas and Curtis Samuel (probably a few other decent pro WR’s off the top of my head). Parris Cambell and KJ Hill are fine players but they’re not world beaters. They aren’t going to come into the NFL, break the single season reception record and having you wonder why they were underutilized in college. 

I know that argument isn’t discussing technicals. I’m pretty much a novice when it comes to nuance of play calling, fundamentals, play design etc and have to lean on what I read and reliable forecasts. I think in comparison to Tua and Kyler Murray’s seasons he didn’t have the amazing efficiency they had but his season efficiency ranked 34th since the metric has existed. As always, with context, that list isn’t an end all be all but combined with his physical traits and performance in a conference not known for pouress defense I think it speaks volumes. Ohio State’s SOS was #15 in the nation. Between the Rose Bowl and Big Ten Championship he threw for 59/78 75% 8 TD 1 INT. I could and may go back and post all of his numbers against ranked opponents and I am fairly confident the numbers will explode off the page. Yes, the spread helps a QB be efficient but to what degree and if it is doing that why aren’t other QB’s at all levels having this kind of production?
his numbers are incredible. that's why I'm teetering back and forth on what my thoughts are. right now I'm not sure and I'd say I'm on the no side. Haskins is definitely the best QB Meyer has had, from a production standpoint. but did Meyer just design the offense to hide his warts.

I imagine if Haskins went back to school and repeated his production that he would be touted as the #1 pick easy, and hes already considered possibly the #1

I appreciate this kind of response, rather than mocking my reasons (although I did acknowledge that Duke has not produced an NFL qb, so I realize that theory has major holes). I want to see how the predraft process goes for him before I reconsider my stance. I'm interested to see what people specifically like about him. His qb smarts? arm strength? pocket presence? I get that accuracy and decision making seem to be in the positive column. what else

I appreciate this kind of response, rather than mocking my reasons (although I did acknowledge that Duke has not produced an NFL qb, so I realize that theory has major holes). I want to see how the predraft process goes for him before I reconsider my stance. I'm interested to see what people specifically like about him. His qb smarts? arm strength? pocket presence? I get that accuracy and decision making seem to be in the positive column. what else
I don’t think he’s a wunderkind in the arm strength department but I’ve seen him put it in between two defenders in the mid range. He’s a heady guy. He rarely put OSU in a bad spot. He minimized turnovers and mostly avoided big sacks and seemed to have the sixth sense to now when the pocket breaks down. Like I said I’m big in to the quantifying of these things so I look forward to seeing more stats about throws under pressure and in tight windows. It was nice to see, in the video I posted, he ranked 10th in deep ball efficiency and 3rd in deep ball TD’s. I remember Baker having outstanding numbers in the chart tracking on things like that. As much as my fandom wants me to have Haskins #1 if the rumors are true about Kyler Murray I would have a hard time having Haskins above him considering Murray’s efficiency and running ability. His mobility is going to make him a more desirable fantasy asset than Haskins as Haskins will have to end up as a special passer to match what I think Murray could do at the next level.

I did go back and put together his numbers against ranked opponents (6 games):

149/225 66% 1987 yds 8.83 y/a 20TD 2INT

Following this thread because these top rated QBs are interesting stories.   It's a QB driven league and Haskins put up fantastic numbers at OSU.  He's getting drafted early.   

I don’t think he’s a wunderkind in the arm strength department but I’ve seen him put it in between two defenders in the mid range. He’s a heady guy. He rarely put OSU in a bad spot. He minimized turnovers and mostly avoided big sacks and seemed to have the sixth sense to now when the pocket breaks down. Like I said I’m big in to the quantifying of these things so I look forward to seeing more stats about throws under pressure and in tight windows. It was nice to see, in the video I posted, he ranked 10th in deep ball efficiency and 3rd in deep ball TD’s. I remember Baker having outstanding numbers in the chart tracking on things like that. As much as my fandom wants me to have Haskins #1 if the rumors are true about Kyler Murray I would have a hard time having Haskins above him considering Murray’s efficiency and running ability. His mobility is going to make him a more desirable fantasy asset than Haskins as Haskins will have to end up as a special passer to match what I think Murray could do at the next level.
arm strength- so does that put him in a tricky situation in Jacksonville who runs the west coast offense?

mobility- if he is a pure passer then he needs to be football smart and have great accuracy/arm strength. Lacking the rushing attack is a bit of a negative because in today's fantasy the QBs who can run and throw are most valuable. this is one reason I really like Daniel Jones 

what are his other warts? 

inexperience would be one. any others? 

arm strength- so does that put him in a tricky situation in Jacksonville who runs the west coast offense?

mobility- if he is a pure passer then he needs to be football smart and have great accuracy/arm strength. Lacking the rushing attack is a bit of a negative because in today's fantasy the QBs who can run and throw are most valuable. this is one reason I really like Daniel Jones 

what are his other warts? 

inexperience would be one. any others? 
I would say there aren’t many. It used to be believed that young age made it more of a crap shoot for QB’s but I think that’s silly. It’s been rare that RS Sophomore comes out so its easy to point to a Tommy Maddox. Sam Darnold didn’t seem lost this year. Had struggles but the game wasn’t beyond him. As far as WCO, I’m not equipped to make that assessment. Short and intermediate throws Haskins seemed to be money to me. However, I’ll once again be reliant on PFF’s numbers to see if my eyes were telling the truth on that.

I’d give Dr. Dan a break on that one. He said he’d be open to changing his mind but that he doesn’t like what he’s seen from Haskins. That’s always fair. He takes a deep dive into the rookie player pools and usually likes highly productive players. That’s why his assessment of Haskins caught me by surprise. The causation of a players success being because of the university and his inevitable failure or success due to being in a certain coaches system has been a false correlation for a whole lot of people for a long, long time now. Nothing new. He’s actually not false to say that Urban hasn’t had a successful pro QB, that hasn’t stopped him from having two first round QB’s even if they were Tim Tebow and Alex Smith. 
Look I don't begrudge anyone if they want to put out a different opinion based on a football skill.  The quote I posted made no mention of not liking what he'd "seen from Haskins".   If he had said he thinks his accuracy sucks (it doesn't) or he doesn't have a strong enough arm (he does) or any other trait about Haskins I would have disagreed but accepted the fact that people have their own opinions.  But to dismiss someone because of the school's past history at the position is ridiculous. 

Look I don't begrudge anyone if they want to put out a different opinion based on a football skill.  The quote I posted made no mention of not liking what he'd "seen from Haskins".   If he had said he thinks his accuracy sucks (it doesn't) or he doesn't have a strong enough arm (he does) or any other trait about Haskins I would have disagreed but accepted the fact that people have their own opinions.  But to dismiss someone because of the school's past history at the position is ridiculous. 
yes I've seen a couple games where I'm not convinced hes a stud. I'll admit I dont watch a great deal of college football. 

Everything I read about him says his negatives include the deep ball, mostly because he wasnt asked to do it much in college. and he was receivers who bailed him out on inaccurate throws.  :shrug: not my words

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I've seen a couple games where I'm not convinced hes a stud. I'll admit I dont watch a great deal of college football. 

Everything I read about him says his negatives include the deep ball, mostly because he wasnt asked to do it much in college. and he was receivers who bailed him out on inaccurate throws.  :shrug: not my words
As a guy that watched every snap of his this year, I'd agree with the deep ball shakiness. I disagree with the receivers bailing him out, though, I'd argue there were a lot of "could be" long TD tosses that were dropped or the WR didn't make the contested catch. 

Completely objective here, I think his biggest weakness is knowing when to escape the pocket and tuck it, or throw it away. He also has spells where, on repeat plays, he seemed to focus on the WR/TE that was open the first time the play was called. This was frustrating on crucial 3rd downs.

What I do know is he made 3 to 4 throws a game that were Sunday throws and made me say "Wow." Ready to buckle up and see what he does in the NFL, but just please not in the NFC East.

Users who are viewing this thread