What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (1 Viewer)

he’s not a sure fire prospect by any means, but i think someone will take a chance on him early. he’s a good prospect. 

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah lists Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins 15th on his updated draft board.

That's the highest any quarterback comes in on Jeremiah's top 50 prospects. Missouri's Drew Lock comes in 23rd with Duke's Daniel Jones right behind at 24, and Oklahoma's Kyler Murray comes in 29th. This has pretty much been the consensus order of the top prospects at the position, although some have had the signal-callers a little higher. After throwing for 50 touchdowns and leading Ohio State to a 12-1 record, we can see Haskins going in the top 10, and it's important to note that a board is not the same as a mock.

Source: NFL.com 

Jan 22 - 8:15 PM

While speaking on the 'Valentine's Views' podcast, Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline said that "no other quarterback" approaches Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins in this draft class.

Pauline believed that Duke QB Daniel Jones could have potentially turbocharged his stock while at the Reese's Senior Bowl, but Jones ultimately turned in a solid-but-unspectacular showing for the week as a whole (even as he ended up winning MVP honors for the game itself). As for QB1 in this class, the two names batted around most often are Haskins and Kyler Murray. In January, one scout told Bleacher Report's Matt Miller that he would not be surprised if a team traded up into the top-four picks to take Haskins.

Source: Big Blue View 

Feb 2 - 11:52 AM

Definitely think he can be a "sit for a year" QB under Eli Manning. He's got the arm for MetLife in Winter, he's got the size and athleticism and he's got decent awareness. Getting tutored by any of the Mannings would be great.

Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins ran the 40-yard dash in 5.04 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Haskins is now a Day 3 prospect with this performance. Just kidding. This couldn't mean less for Haskins, and he even said that his cramps slowed him down anyways. However, this does put Stephen A. Smith on the hot seat after he claimed that Haskins was more of a runner than passer despite throwing for 50 touchdowns in 2018. With Kyler Murray's stock trending way up, Haskins is now facing legit pressure for the top quarterback spot. Both quarterbacks could end up coming off the board inside the top-five picks.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 6:16 PM

NFL Draft Scout's Ric Serritella believes Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins will be the top quarterback prospect on many teams draft boards.

Serritella watched Haskins (6'3/231) throw in-person at the NFL Scouting Combine and came away impressed saying he's "A strong-armed pocket passer who makes quick, accurate decisions with the football and shows great anticipation." He later added Haskins is "Able to get rid of the ball extremely quick, plus has the arm strength to make all the throws and shows great poise in the pocket." At this point it looks like both Dwayne Haskins and Kyler Murray have a good chance of being selected inside the top-10 pick in the NFL Draft.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Mar 3, 2019, 6:49 AM

Boy, he really slings it but it caught me off guard how doughy he looked at the combine.  Anyone know how much he cares about football and/or what his work ethic is like?  By physical appearance, I’d have some concerns that he’s a guy that gets by on natural ability moreso than hard work.  Admittedly I haven’t followed him much.  

As far as I'm concerned, Haskins checks nearly every box in what you'd want in a QB.

Size - Dude's a prototype in this department, he's big, he's meaty, he's not going to be easy to sack and he has that nice thick frame where he can take a hit and get back up without much issue.

Arm Strength - He's not quite Mike Vick, but he can throw it 40 yards downfield on a dime and displayed that a lot last year. I can live with him not being able to throw it 85 yards the 5 times a season that type of play opens up.

Accuracy - Kids hyper accurate on short/intermediate throws and seems to have consistently improved his deep ball accuracy as the season progressed last year.

Footwork - Good footwork, not elite, but really good for his age an experience. He can get a little sloppy sometimes with it when throwing on the run, but most QBs get a bit sloppy throwing on the run, I'm sure this is something that'd be worked on a lot in the pros.

Pocket Presence - Natural. Fluid. Those would be the best words I could use to describe him in the pocket. He seems to have that spidey sense for the pocket collapsing around him.

Release - There was a tweet yesterday I saw that he basically tested in the elite category for release time and you can see that in his tape too. He has an extremely tight, compressed release. Guy gets the ball out of his hand so fast it's almost hard to see it on film, one minute the balls in his chest, you blink and it's in the air. This is a HUGE part of the game that's really a lot harder to fix this late in your life. Having a naturally fast release is a huge benefit to him.

Character - From everything I've read and interviews I've watched, he's basically Saquon Barkley of QBs. Straight A student his whole life, nobody ever had anything bad to say about him, seems like he has a great head on his shoulders.

Football IQ - This is a bit tougher to gauge but from watching him on the field and watching a few of those NFL Network/ESPN interviews with him on the XOs he seems to have a really high football IQ. Couple that with his high character and it makes for an ideal pairing for a locker room leader at the position.

Downfield Vision - Watch film when this kid is under pressure, early in the season he would look down a lot at the defender coming into his face, but after the first few games he really seemed to fall into a Drew Brees like pattern. When he's scrambling he never seems to take his eye off his receivers, always going through his progressions. He also seems to be really good at going through his reads, very fast, very fluid, has a natural ability for looking defenders off that you don't usually see from a college QB, especially a 1st year starter.

Coachability - This is the biggest pro to me for Haskins. We saw him go from incredibly raw, to being one of the most refined all around QBs in college by the end of the season. He never really regressed, every game he was building upon an aspect of his game. If he's able to do that in a single season in college, imagine what he could do with the amount of coaches and support staff he'd have in the pros. He seems like a student of the game. There are countless examples of QBs with all the skills but could never put it together because they didn't take to coaching well. Haskins seems to have all the skills and the ability to be coached up. In the right hands, he could be a dominant force in the NFL in a few years.

Speed/Mobility - His biggest con probably, he's a pocket passer, a lot of people want to see him run more and I do think he'll run better than the 5.04 he ran at the combine at his pro day. He was dealing with cramps and seemed to show better speed on tape than 5.04, which is Eli/Peyton/Brady levels of slow. I think he'll clock more in the 4.75-4.80 range at his pro day. Far from Kyler Murray/Michael Vick territory, but he can move when he needs too.

Experience - Simply put, he's a one year starter. That's scary for some teams, you never know if he just had that one Cinderella season (ala 2013 Nick Foles) and then regress heavily from there.

But as a Giants fan, I for one am hoping they're all in on Haskins. I personally like him about as much as I liked Darnold and Mayfield last year. If he had the tape he had from this year but came out last year, I'd have probably had him in that top tier with those two and above Rosen and Allen.

NFL Network's Chad Reuter projects Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins to be selected by the Giants at pick No. 3 in his latest mock draft.

This obviously requires a trade-up as the Giants currently hold the No. 6 overall pick. Reuters is reading the tea leaves with Giants GM Dave Gettleman's comments that "he's interested in following the Kansas City Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes model for developing a young quarterback behind a veteran." The Raiders have also shown interest in drafting a quarterback and sit at pick No. 4, so leapfrogging them is probably necessary to select Haskins. A month ago this quarterback class looked underwhelming with many citing 1-2 1st round talents. Now, two or more quarterbacks will likely be selected inside the top-10.

Mar 9, 2019, 9:58 AM

A former member of the New York Giants front office who spoke with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller said that Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins "wowed" the team in meetings.

While we are talking about a former front office member, here, Miller passes along that his source remains close with others in the building. It comes as no surprise that Haskins -- well-known to be one of the more cerebral quarterbacks in this class -- impressed in interviews. While the OSU signal-caller will certainly be in play at No. 6, it's difficult to ascertain exactly what direction the Giants are trying for in the wake of their stunning trade of OBJ to the Browns. They had a prime opportunity to start their rebuild a year ago, in a better quarterbacks class, with a higher pick.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 13, 2019, 5:36 PM

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports that the New York Giants "are not doing a lot of work on" Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

The Giants' ownership just can't move on from Eli Manning and they have hired Manning truthers to run their player personnel department, so this isn't overly surprising. Instead of drafting Sam Darnold in 2017, the Giants picked generational player Saquon Barkley to try to save Manning, leading to a 5-11 season. The Giants appear to be setting themselves up for another "win now" selection with the No. 6 overall pick instead of selecting potential franchise quarterback Dwayne Haskins. The Giants are likely looking at the edge rushers at No. 6 if they aren't working on Haskins' evaluation. Russini believes the Giants are going to draft a quarterback with the newly acquired No. 17 overall pick. Perhaps that's Duke QB Daniel Jones, who had a lower YPA in college than Eli Manning has had in the NFL since Jones' first collegiate start.

SOURCE: Breaking Big Blue Podcast

Mar 16, 2019, 10:04 AM

Between the above and this, this is starting to have the feel of a massive smoke screen by NY, with Russini the unwitting dupe.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Giants feel Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins "doesn't fit" with the team.

Russini adds the Giants are barely scouting him. ESPN's Jordan Raanan speculates the Giants aren't interested because the team doesn't see enough "elusiveness in the pocket" from the 21-year-old play-caller, creating a sense of doubt the front office can't seem to overlook. It's asinine, but the powers that be are clearly interested in sticking with 38-year-old Mike Francesa-favorite Eli Manning under center this upcoming season and instead using the No. 6 overall pick on a "safe" option on the opposite side of the ball. GM Dave Gettleman ostensibly telegraphed his infatuation with Saquon Barkley well before the draft last year, getting gushy and stating he was "touched by the hand of God" after selecting the former Nittany Lion No. 2 overall. A similar picture is unfortunately being painted for the once-proud franchise this year.

I don't know the Giants have been proven to be pretty stupid, but paying the price to move up to #2 to get him? Maybe they are reluctant to do that.

Matt Miller and Connor Rogers of the Stick To Football Podcast report that the New York Giants have been studying Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins all year.

They also say that the organization is a big fan of Haskins, despite some smokescreens that suggest to the contrary. Eli Manning is back for 2019 after the Giants paid him a $5 million bonus this week, but he's clearly not the long-term answer. Rogers and Miller report that the Giants may need to trade up in order to get Haskins, as it's certainly possible that quarterback doesn't make it to that No. 6 pick. Very interesting stuff, to say the least.

SOURCE: Connor Rogers on Twitter

Mar 20, 2019, 8:04 AM

If he is drafted by the Giants, is he an attractive rookie target? With OBJ/Engram/Barkley I was stoked about this spot and potentially targeting him. Now without OBJ I'm not so sure. Obviously I expect NY to draft a WR at some point but I'm not sure what I think about this perceived inevitable landing spot. 

Watching his pro day for about 5 minutes here over lunch. To my untrained eye he looks awesome. Quick feet, quicker release. Compact throwing motion.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Redskins are "very much intrigued" by Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

The Jets at No. 3 overall are reportedly open for business and would be more than willing to trade out of that spot after landing Sam Darnold last year. The Redskins are said to be one of the prime candidates to come up should Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa go Nos. 1 and 2 in the draft. Washington's quarterback situation is bleak with Case Keenum and Colt McCoy on year-by-year deals and Alex Smith (leg) unlikely to play again. The Skins would seemingly have to leap the Raiders and Giants at Nos. 4 and 6 overall for a chance at Haskins.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

, New York Jets

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Mar 20, 2019, 10:55 AM

I think it'd be a big risk for Washington to trade up for Haskins. He's a lot like Rosen was last year to me, medium risk, but high reward. For the cost it would take to trade up to 3, I'd rather just either pay more to move up to #1 and take Murray, who has a higher floor and ceiling in my eyes, or just trade for Rosen for much less. 

When I saw the Giants contingent they're seriously doing legit research on the man, contrary to the "Giants haven't paid attention to Haskins" smoke released recently. With the questionable moves Gettleman has made recently there's no real guarantee they'll be bad enough to tank for Tua; have to take Haskins at #6 if you're the Giants.

An anonymous NFL GM said Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins "can clearly make all the throws" at Ohio State's Pro Day.

Haskins (6'3/220) had a strong Pro Day by most accounts and met with the Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins, and Redskins afterward. He also met with the Giants Tuesday night, a team who holds the No. 6 overall pick and has shown interest in potentially selecting a quarterback. Recent reports are that the Giants aren't interested in Haskins, but that could just be a smokescreen. Haskins will likely be a top-10 selection but it's difficult to predict exactly how high he'll be selected as there are many potential suitors at the moment.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 20, 2019, 6:07 PM

The Frankman said:
When I saw the Giants contingent they're seriously doing legit research on the man, contrary to the "Giants haven't paid attention to Haskins" smoke released recently. With the questionable moves Gettleman has made recently there's no real guarantee they'll be bad enough to tank for Tua; have to take Haskins at #6 if you're the Giants.
Doubtful he's available at #6.

Interesting that Jeremiah seems to think that for scouts it’s somehow a game of Haskins vs Murray. They are completely different QB’s and personalities. I think both will have a lot of success in the NFL. I think Drew Lock also has the potential to be a good QB and won’t shy away from him either in the right situation for dynasty rookie drafts. 

Yeah, at this point I'm pretty sure any mock that doesn't have Murray & Haskins both in the top 6 is wrong.
I agree.  Funny to see this type of mock getting posted the day after his Pro Day:

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein projects the Miami Dolphins to select Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins with the 13th pick in his latest 2019 NFL Mock Draft.

We wonder if this mock was set before Haskins had his Pro Day, if only because he received such positive reports from that afternoon. That being said, there's no obvious fit for Haskins if the Giants do pass on him with the sixth pick. "We already know the king of the bridge quarterbacks is in place and waiting to start for the Dolphins (Ryan Fitzpatrick)," writes Zierlein, "but he would also be an excellent choice to help mentor the future at the position." We can't imagine the Dolphins would pass on Haskins if he's still on the board.

Mar 21, 2019, 11:40 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Mock drafters don't seem too keen on predicting trades, but they happen every year.  Those teams in the teens know they need to get in front of the Giants to select Haskins. 

Mock drafters don't seem too keen on predicting trades, but they happen every year.  Those teams in the teens know they need to get in front of the Raiders to select Haskins. 
fixed. dont put it past the Raiders to take Haskins. Even TB. Teams 4, 5, 6 ,7, 10, 11 all could use a young/future qb...

This is amazing news for the Jets 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread