What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (2 Viewers)

Here's basically the same piece by a local beat writer. 

Haskins turning heads at minicamp

Only thing added in here is a touch of perspective from the writer and these quotes from Haskins that I like. 

Haskins, 22, said he'll take the same approach he did at Ohio State.

"I'll be ready for whatever the coaches want from me, whether that's starting right away or next year or through the season," Haskins said. "I'll prepare like I'm the starter."

But he also admitted waiting two years to play there wasn't easy -- and he shone a light on his mentality.

"Definitely hard," Haskins said. "Every competitor wants to play, but you have to know it's for the team, it's bigger than you. And if the coaches feel I'm the best option to win games this year, I'll be more than excited. If he says I'm not ready, I'll make sure I'll be ready."

This franchise is due for some good fortune. Dare I say MAYBE, just MAYBE we are turning the corner? FINALLY? 

He'll be great just to torture the Giants.  Was the obvious pick.  Redskins should have never had a chance to get him.

The only thing I have noticed about him in my EXTREMLY limited knowledge of him is that on all his highlights he appears to be staring down his reciever.

Practice News And Notes: 2019 OTAs, Day 5

Excerpt:

Haskins, too, showcased the skill set that led the Redskins to draft him 15th overall in the 2019 draft. On one play, he connected with Sims by dropping a dime in between two defenders on a corner route. On another occasion, he launched a pass that found a streaking Jehu Chesson downfield but bounced off of his hands for an incompletion.

At times, the signal-callers struggled, like during the team periods when they were faced with constant pressure from the Redskins' young and talented front seven. Keenum threw a pass into coverage that was tipped and intercepted by Jimmy Moreland. Haskins was also burnt by Moreland at the end of practice when he telegraphed his pass to the front-left center of the end zone. Moreland jumped the comeback route and hauled in another pick before streaking the other way.

Veteran minicamp notes, Day 3: Redskins close with red zone work and Jimmy Moreland pops again

Excerpt:

It's a rule that if you write about a Redskins practice, you can't go past the fourth bullet point without giving an update on the quarterbacks. Thursday was more of the same, with Case Keenum continuing to run a more polished offense while Dwayne Haskins struggled with inaccuracy and, for the first time with the media around, interceptions. Keenum has shown really sweet touch on some 10- and 20-yard throws, including one to Brian Quick for six.

Haskins had back-to-back turnovers down near the goal line during team work, with one resulting more because of a standout defensive effort and the other falling mostly on him. First, he connected with Cam Sims on a quick out route, who made the catch and turned to try and get into the end zone. But Jimmy Moreland, who had been a bit quieter this week than he was during OTAs, just ripped the ball from No. 89, turning a TD into an INT. It was a terrific job by the seventh-round rookie, and after, Gruden noted that it was the fifth pass that Moreland has pilfered since arriving. It was probably the top highlight of the afternoon.   

Haskins' next giveaway, however, was fully his mistake. Josh Norman — who explained after practice how he's been yearning for the chance to square off with the popular passer — was lined up on the right side and the 15th overall pick decided to challenge him. It didn't end well for the youngster. Norman jumped the route and pulled in an aggressive interception. There was some debate as to whether Norman was in bounds when he got his hands on the pass, but the DB let the refs handle that while he sprinted allllllllllll the way the other way for a touchdown. Gruden came over and slyly convinced one official to drop a flag, making a confusing situation even more muddled. But regardless of the final ruling, Norman absolutely won the matchup. 

Last edited by a moderator:
From the article:

This should fill Redskins fans and Haskins owners alike with overwhelming confidence...

Seriously, how many of the NFL’s franchises would have owners involved in choosing a starting QB?  More than two?
And this is why everyone on these boards should be nice to Redskins fans. We have the worst owner and GM in the league. :(

Maybe it's because I watch Get Up too much, but while Murray and Jones are getting most of the attention (for different reasons), I won't be surprised at all if Haskins ends up being the best QB from this class. Murray has more FF upside because of his rushing, so if he hits I think he's best in fantasy. But as far as a guy who changes the direction of his franchise in "real life" football, I really like Haskins, especially if WAS can surround him with better receiving talent long term.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said the team's quarterback competition could "come down to the wire."

Haskins is undoubtedly Washington's quarterback of the future but Gruden maintains that he'll have to earn the starting job over Case Keenum, acquired from Denver as a potential bridge quarterback, and veteran Colt McCoy. Gruden, who could be coaching for his job this season, will pick whoever gives Washington the best chance to win. "We got to give these guys opportunities to make plays and see which one is the best," said Gruden. The Redskins open with a tough early schedule with games against the Eagles, Bears, Cowboys and Patriots, which could be a factor in Washington's decision to either ease Haskins in or throw him into the fire right away.

RELATED: 

Case Keenum

SOURCE: NBC Sports Washington

Jul 25, 2019, 8:59 AM ET

I've been drafting D Haskins as my 3rd QB in best ball, even at Draft.com.
He's done there with J Flacco and E Manning, so he probably isn't getting
picked in most drafts. I like the cheap injury insurance with the upside.

I've been drafting D Haskins as my 3rd QB in best ball, even at Draft.com.
He's done there with J Flacco and E Manning, so he probably isn't getting
picked in most drafts. I like the cheap injury insurance with the upside.
Just curious, where is Murray going?

Kyle Stackpole @kylefstackpole

Haskins shows solid touch and accuracy on a deep cross to Robert Davis with multiple defenders in the vicinity. Haven’t seen enough of those during #SkinsCamp

Hes Drew Bledsoe on the field. Unlike Bledsoe, off the field he seems like a (mildly) humble/smart/great kid. Hope he plays for 10 years and has a good rivalry with the Cowboys/giants?####birds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Dwayne Haskins is still chasing Colt McCoy and Case Keenum but has time to catch them.

This sounds like a coach giving his rookie some extra motivation, not a definitive Week 1 depth chart. Haskins looked to be on track to start based on his preseason action, but he'll need to pull away over the next two preseason games to lock that down. Gruden wants to name the Week 1 starter after the third preseason game "at the latest." The Redskins will be giving Haskins a lot of Year 1 looks, but a tough early-season schedule could delay his starting time by a few games if the rest of the preseason isn't up to standard.

RELATED: 

Case Keenum

, Colt McCoy

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Aug 11, 2019, 7:38 PM ET

Dwayne Haskins completed 7-of-14 passes for 114 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason game against the Bengals.

On in relief of Case Keenum, Haskins found Robert Davis for a 55-yard bomb of a score. Haskins was evading pressure on third down before uncorking a beautiful deep pass. For some reason being forced to play behind Keenum — and listed behind an injured Colt McCoy — Haskins could seize starting duties with a strong showing in next week's regular season dress rehearsal.

Aug 15, 2019, 11:44 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread