What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (2 Viewers)

Haskins gets playing time after Keenum's early exit

Dwayne Haskins took over at quarterback for the Washington Redskins to start the second half of their 19-9 loss to the Minnesota Vikings on "Thursday Night Football."

With Case Keenum ruled out with a concussion at halftime, the rookie first-round pick entered the game to start the third quarter down 13-6. Keenum had been 12-of-16 for 130 yards up until that point and fumbled in one of his two sacks taken. 

Haskins ended the night 3-of-5 for 33 yards and an interception in a game well within reach for the extent of his time under center. Thanks to the defense keeping the Vikings in check and RB Adrian Peterson running hard with history in his sights, the Redskins weren't out of it but the play-calling on offense was noticeably conservative with Haskins at QB.

Down a touchdown and with the ball after the Redskins forced a turnover on downs, Haskins had a chance to lead a comeback midway through the third quarter but the opportunity was squandered after a sailing pass to Terry McLaurin ended up in the hands of a Vikings defender. 

"It happened so fast," Haskins said about the interception. "I couldn't really step into it the way I wanted to but it came out higher than I thought. 

"I felt good, but there's room for improvement."

Haskins and the Redskins got the ball back only once after that as the Vikings kept the ball on the ground, scored a field goal to maintain a two-score lead, and ran out the clock effectively.

"I thought the read was right, I thought the route was good, I thought the play-call was excellent," interim coach Bill Callahan said about the crucial play. "You just gotta make a play and I think he will learn that. No question he would love to have that back." 

Callahan did say that Haskins would be the starter if Keenum wasn't able to go against the Buffalo Bills 10 days from now. Colt McCoy would serve as Haskins' backup. 

"We'll see," Callahan said. "We have a little time here. It was a Thursday night game, so we have time. I do believe Case is our quarterback but it's all based on how he comes out of the protocol."

Dwayne Haskins took the first-team reps in Redskins practice for the second consecutive day on Thursday.

Case Keenum (concussion) is getting in limited practices but has yet to clear the protocol. He is taking third-team reps behind Haskins and Colt McCoy. A complete nightmare in two spot appearances this season, Haskins would have an almost comically difficult matchup in the Bills were he to get the call. Haskins is a severe downgrade for college teammate Terry McLaurin.

RELATED: 

Case Keenum

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 1:27 PM ET

Dwayne Haskins completed 15-of-22 passes for 144 yards in the Redskins' Week 9 loss to the Bills.

The Redskins had a very conservative gameplan for Haskins in his first career start. Adrian Peterson was given the ball on nearly half of Washington's offensive plays (what year is it?) and when Haskins dropped back to pass, most targets were at or in front of the first-down line. In terms of arm strength and accuracy, Haskins passed the eye test, but he needs coaching and personnel help to reach a ceiling. Neither of those needs will be met this season, leaving Haskins off the streaming radar in almost all matchups. The Redskins will head into their bye at 1-8, but they do get a matchup with the Jets in Week 11.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:46 PM ET

Haskins to start Sunday against the Jets after the bye and Keenum will be the backup per Albert Breer 

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Dwayne Haskins is expected to start in Week 11 against the Jets.

Coach Bill Callahan has yet to officially name a starter but all signs point to the No. 15 overall pick getting another look after Washington's Week 10 bye. With their season officially a lost cause, it would make zero sense for the team to turn to 31-year-old Case Keenum or veteran Colt McCoy under center. Haskins attempted just 22 passes in an impossible spot against Buffalo in Week 9 but has an easier test against the Jets' defense following the bye week. Derrius Guice (knee) should also be back behind Haskins the rest of the season.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 5:05 PM ET

Washington coach Bill Callahan said Dwayne Haskins will start for the rest of the season.

This was inevitable after Haskins made his first official start against Buffalo prior to the team's Week 10 bye. Case Keenum will officially stick as Washington's No. 2 quarterback with Colt McCoy backing both up as their third-stringer. In the short-term, Sunday makes the third rookie signal-caller to face the Jets in a four-game span. It's still a concerning move for fellow rookie Terry McLaurin long-term since the budding star recorded 25/407/5 in seven starts with Keenum under center and just 3/42 on Haskins' 44 attempts to date.

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Nov 11, 2019, 1:59 PM ET

Everyone is pretty down on him and understandably so. He obviously has a lot of steep learning curve confronting him. How does everyone view him long-term in the dynasty realm?

I only care about Haskins to the extent of whether him starting means McClaurin has any value.    If he can actually stand in the pocket and read the field, I think he's good enough to find a wide open receiver.   The problem is that from what I've seen so far, he's had no pocket awareness at all and hasn't been able to give his receivers the few seconds it takes to get open.   Maybe some first team reps and extra work give him the confidence to step up in the pocket and make some throws.   He's got talent.   Hopefully the game slows down for him a bit.

I only care about Haskins to the extent of whether him starting means McClaurin has any value.    If he can actually stand in the pocket and read the field, I think he's good enough to find a wide open receiver.   The problem is that from what I've seen so far, he's had no pocket awareness at all and hasn't been able to give his receivers the few seconds it takes to get open.   Maybe some first team reps and extra work give him the confidence to step up in the pocket and make some throws.   He's got talent.   Hopefully the game slows down for him a bit.
Unfortunately, it's probably going to take more than one week of good practice for the game to slow down for Haskins.   Hopefully,. He just flings the ball often at Terry and gets lucky at a handful.   

Not expecting much but was able to pick him up this week in one salary cap league. I’m just hoping he gets experience and figures out some stuff so he can get better in 2020 and beyond

Dwayne Haskins completed 19-of-35 passes for 214 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Redskins' Week 11 loss to the Jets.

The stat line doesn't paint the whole picture for Haskins, who missed passes and took too many hits in the pocket to get the offense in any rhythm. In particular, the rookie is having major issues diagnosing pressure and isn't athletic enough to get himself out of trouble, but he's also getting zero help from his coaching staff, offensive line, and receivers not named Terry McLaurin. It's simply not an environment for a rookie quarterback to succeed in. Haskins has another easy matchup with the Lions next, but expectations are low, even for a Redskins organization that hasn't shown much in decades.

Dwayne Haskins completed 13-of-29 passes for 156 yards and one pick in Washington's Week 12 win over the Lions.

On a positive note, Haskins' 17-yard toss to Terry McLaurin (5/72) with 20 seconds remaining put Washington in position to seal the win with a 39-yard field goal. That's where the compliments stop as Haskins continued attempting ill-advised throws while missing layup opportunities on blown assignments. Detroit's defense ripped a fumble from the rookie's grasp on Washington's opening drive and later intercepted him (which should be partly attributed to Kelvin Harmon) to open the fourth quarter. Haskins' two sailed passes to McLaurin in the red zone, however, were completely his doing. It's clear Haskins can't be trusted in any matchup as Washington continues getting him developmental reps in a lost season.

Nov 24, 2019, 9:11 PM ET

I can't believe the guy misses the final snap because of taking a selfie... too funny- and what an idiot. Reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. Unbelievable. 

I can't believe the guy misses the final snap because of taking a selfie... too funny- and what an idiot. Reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. Unbelievable. 
Can you blame him for being excited about a win?  He may not see another one as an NFL QB.

I'll never understand...

I get that the jump to the NFL is a major adjustment in terms of speed, reading defenses, etc.

But why is it that some guys at the pro level have such newfound difficulty in simply delivering the ball to the receiver?

I mean, he completed 70% last year. Why do guys all of a sudden start air mailing, throwing in the dirt, and otherwise simply can't throw?

I'll never understand...

I get that the jump to the NFL is a major adjustment in terms of speed, reading defenses, etc.

But why is it that some guys at the pro level have such newfound difficulty in simply delivering the ball to the receiver?

I mean, he completed 70% last year. Why do guys all of a sudden start air mailing, throwing in the dirt, and otherwise simply can't throw?
I think the defenses are just that much better. Not just the bigger faster players but the best DCs in the world. They study these guys until they figure out every weakness they have. Guys like Wilson and Brees seem to overcome it but most don't.

Yeah I understand that, but even throwing to open guys, some guys just look like they've switched hands now that they're in the NFL. They just can't throw.
Maybe just rattled by what they have seen in the NFL.  Like It’s been said its a huge step up from college.

Dwayne Haskins completed 13-of-25 passes for 147 yards in the Redskins' Week 13 win over the Panthers.

Haskins didn't do anything in this one, but he didn't need to with Derrius Guice and Adrian Peterson running all over Carolina. The two backs combined for well over 200 yards and three touchdowns. Haskins is being limited by play calling and surrounding talent, but he also isn't showing a ton on his limited opportunities. He will be near the bottom of fantasy rankings next week against the Packers.

Dec 1, 2019, 5:09 PM ET

I'll never understand...

The speed of the game changes so dramatically, you're now facing grown men who can take you down and close windows instantly on D. Keep in mind, this guy was supposed to sit a year because he wasn't ready, then was drafted by a coach who by all accounts didn't want him (and possibly tanked his development), bad O line, one competent receiver and thrown to the wolves early in the year.

Haskins definitely has talent but he needs time to figure stuff out, and I dunno if Washington has the staff/"culture" to bring it out. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a QB swap, Haskins + a 3rd rounder for Daniel Jones? ;)

Dwayne Haskins completed 16-of-27 passes for 170 yards with a touchdown and an interception in Week 14 against the Packers.

Haskins continued his rookie struggles, completing 59 percent of his passes and averaging just 6.3 YPA. He was noticeably limping throughout the game with an ankle injury but didn't miss any snaps. Haskins had an ugly interception at the end of the first half and a number of miscues, throwing one of his passes so far behind his receiver it hit a Packers corner in the helmet. He had only 95 yards going into the final two minutes of the game before a garbage-time TD to Terry McLaurin. Haskins may miss some practice time this week with his ankle issue but should be fine for a matchup with the Eagles Week 15.

Users who are viewing this thread