What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquise Brown, KC (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Oklahoma junior WR Marquise Brown declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Brown (5'10/166) heads into the draft pool on the heels of a stellar 2018 campaign in which he logged a 75-1318-10receiving line. As a prospect, he brings to the table an elite speed and acceleration component, with The Draft Network's Brad Kelly noting that the Oklahoma standout "[d]oes an excellent job of finding space in the open field and picking up yardage in a hurry." While he has palatable aspects to his game, his lack of overt size (particularly in terms of bulk) could turn some teams off. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks Brown as his No. 3 draft-eligible receiver in the 2019 class. There is no clear consensus as to where he might land in the draft, but he's a solid bet to be off the board by the end of Day 2, with an outside shot at Day 1 depending on how his evaluation process shakes out.

Source: Marquise Brown on Twitter

Last edited:
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah compares Oklahoma junior WR Marquise Brown to DeSean Jackson.

Jeremiah links Brown's smoothness and explosiveness to one of the NFL's top deep threats. The analyst also says Brown has "natural hands and he can run every route with ease." The NFL will be focused on Brown (5'10/168) in tomorrow's game against Alabama, but Brown may not be at 100% with his foot injury. The Sooners' top receiver has averaged an elite 12.9 yards on 102 targets this season. Fri, Dec 28, 2018 07:20:00 PM

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Oklahoma junior WR Marquise Brown averaged 3.9 yards per route run during the 2018 regular season.

Brown was electric as the Sooners top pass-catcher, recording 1264 yards and 10 touchdowns on 70 receptions. Per Pro Football Focus Brown also posted a 139.2 passer rating when targeted this season. Evaluations on Brown are all over the place as some view him as a potential first-round speedster and others see a mid-round field-stretcher. He will have a chance to make a statement in the national spotlight against Alabama in the Orange Bowl on December 29th.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Sun, Dec 2, 2018 01:04:00 PM

Marquise Brown - WR -  Sooners

Oklahoma junior WR Marquise Brown was clocked by the school at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Brown is Oklahoma's signature field-stretcher who is coming off a 57/1,095/7 line as a sophomore. When compared to former OU WR DeDe Westbrook by his quarterback Baker Mayfield, he said, "I think we saw somewhat with what Dede could with that speed that he had, but I think Marquise is even faster. I love Dede, but Marquise, he's got another gear." That's quite an endorsement and illuminates Brown's potential in 2018.

Source: NFL.com 

Thu, Jun 14, 2018 05:51:00 PM

A little small for my liking. He’s going to need to test out  bigger than expected and/or 4.3 flat imo.
That's my concern too. Love the talent. I don't know if he has the shiftiness of Cohen or Tyreek Hill or could approach their performance or if his ceiling is more along Westbrook's. 

That's my concern too. Love the talent. I don't know if he has the shiftiness of Cohen or Tyreek Hill or could approach their performance or if his ceiling is more along Westbrook's. 
He’s estimated at 168 at Draft Network. John Ross was 188, Hill 185. Even Dede and John Brown were 178. Cohen was 179 but also 4 inches shorter than those guys. If Marquise weighs in below ~178, it’s going to be a huge worry. At 5-10 and 168, he’s basically my size and while I obviously lack all of his athletic traits, I can not even fathom dealing with the physicality of the NFL.

He’s estimated at 168 at Draft Network. John Ross was 188, Hill 185. Even Dede and John Brown were 178. Cohen was 179 but also 4 inches shorter than those guys. If Marquise weighs in below ~178, it’s going to be a huge worry. At 5-10 and 168, he’s basically my size and while I obviously lack all of his athletic traits, I can not even fathom dealing with the physicality of the NFL.
Yeah that's pretty small 

You have to look at Tommy Lee Lewis to find a size comp. 

Antonio brown's antics are now concerning. May rub off on this guy. It may even cost him in the draft.

Sure but there’s at least 12-15 quality NFL WRs in this draft that Cleveland will have a chance to add.
I don't know how many will be ranked ahead of him and I don't think he'll get selected... hmnn probably until after   the 2nd round.

The Browns hold two-3rd round picks, one late (Patriots in Danny Shelton deal).

Difficult to predict what positions let alone individuals Dorsey will take but Marquise Brown is a name I would be excited over if he gets reunited with Baker Mayfield.

3rd round or later. So much risk of injury and routes are limited due to size. 

Browns would be ideal because of Baker but also because OU has an awful track record of WRs in the NFL.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler says "some teams have sky-high grades" on Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown.

This isn't too surprising given the season he just had, but it sounds like Brown (5'10/166) has some Round 1 buzz. Brugler does note that some teams will be off Brown because of his size, but the speedster has drawn comparisons to DeSean Jackson. In 2018, Brown posted a huge 75-1318-10 receiving line and was a major reason why the Sooners and Kyler Murray had successful seasons. Brugler currently ranks D.K. Metcalf and Kelvin Harmon ahead of Brown.

Source: The Athletic 

Jan 20 - 12:16 PM

It wouldn't be wise to assume that.
I was super high on him. He's got serious talent and at one point I ahd him #1 because of Tyreek Hill's success. I'm just not going to reach for him now. Another guy I hope goes to a team like BALT so I don't have to consider him.

Tyreek Hill?
I'm going one year after seeing James Washington on the TV every Saturday to seeing this guy.  One played so much smaller while the other used every ounce of what he's got like Cobb does in GB. 

Hill is unique and I bet there isn't another one for a number of years. Austin and Ross and...geesh there's probably plenty of small speedy lil buggers. I feel like there's a type I like and it's gotta be that they play like no one told them they were small. 

That's his cousin. I'm sure there will be influence there. Love the talent but I can see his head growing like a pumpkin with success as well.
I am sure AB will be in his ear but also I don't think the personality of someone has all that much in relation to the personality of their cousin. Also, the Steelers seem to have some issues in general which might be exacerbating the AB problem. The Bell situation has been a mess. Their franchsie QB is a huge ahole. If Hollywood can produce anything close to what AB has than I would welcome any percevived headache with it. 

Tyreek Hill?
As I noted earlier in the thread, he is a lot smaller than Hil or at least that is the expecation. 168 vs 185. 

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn Football that Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown reminds them of Kansas City Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill.

We've heard Brown compared to Desean Jackson before, but the Hill come is new, and quite frankly, more flattering; at least in terms of on the field. THe scout notes that Brown is tiny, but he calls the wideout a "stud," and his ability with the ball in his hands and to get open is impressive. Because of his small stature (5'10/166) there are going to be concerns, but his skill set gives him a chance to be the first wideout selected in this draft.

Source: Bob McGinn Football 

Jan 28 - 11:34 AM

An anonymous scout told Bob McGinn Football that Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown reminds them of Kansas City Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill.
Just remember when you are small, you require a more accurate QB. This guy with Lamar Jackson is a complete zero.

His running style and after the catch ability remind me a lot of Santana Moss.  He's obviously a good deal smaller (Moss was 184 as a rook) and I don't think he accelarates as quickly, but it seems he has more late speed. A better closing kick if you will.

It took Moss a few years but once he came to the Skins, he had some incredible years and not just in fantasy land.  Dude was an excellent receiver and I miss watching every week.

Brown reminds me of him and is related to the hardest working receiver in the league (diva yes but his preparation is tops, bar none).

Size is the obvious concern but I'd gamble on the upside he brings with him.  Long way to go but think there's a reasonable path to the 1.01.

Speed = Separation 

Inaccurate QBs need separation which Marquise provides.
You still have to be accurate. The catch radius of a 5-10 guy is less than a 6-3 guy. Plus he's moving faster so hitting that moving target is tougher. Look at Winston. Can't hit the broadside of a barn and Evans routinely nailed him out with fantastic catches. Desean Jackson could not because his catch radius is smaller. Everyone knows Jackson played his best ball in Tampa with Fitz who was able to connect with Jackson on deep passes.

You still have to be accurate. The catch radius of a 5-10 guy is less than a 6-3 guy. Plus he's moving faster so hitting that moving target is tougher. Look at Winston. Can't hit the broadside of a barn and Evans routinely nailed him out with fantastic catches. Desean Jackson could not because his catch radius is smaller. Everyone knows Jackson played his best ball in Tampa with Fitz who was able to connect with Jackson on deep passes.
It’s still more complex than that. If the guy is 5-10 but has torched his defender, there’s a big window for the ball to go. If the guy is 6-2 but can’t get separation than the window is going to be really freaking small. 

Every QB has to be accurate but for an inaccurate QB having a guy who gets separation would be more beneficial than having a WR who doesn't get much separation.

Evans is huge and strong he makes his bread and butter with contested catches where the ball is thrown up there but he also has speed to get separation.  He's the quintessential prototype that everyone wants.  I don't think anyone is saying that they would turn down a 6'5 231 lb guy with 4.4 speed for a 5'7 168 lb guy with 4.3 speed with better COD and tight-space explosion.

Marquise Brown is small and light, he is far from a prototypical WR and his game is not making contested catches.  His game is pure speed with one guy missing a tackle, a home run hitter who isn't going to get you consistent singles but he will separate to give a QB an open window which would help an inaccurate QB who has trouble hitting tight windows.

It’s still more complex than that. If the guy is 5-10 but has torched his defender, there’s a big window for the ball to go. If the guy is 6-2 but can’t get separation than the window is going to be really freaking small. 

Every QB has to be accurate but for an inaccurate QB having a guy who gets separation would be more beneficial than having a WR who doesn't get much separation.

Evans is huge and strong he makes his bread and butter with contested catches where the ball is thrown up there but he also has speed to get separation.  He's the quintessential prototype that everyone wants.  I don't think anyone is saying that they would turn down a 6'5 231 lb guy with 4.4 speed for a 5'7 168 lb guy with 4.3 speed with better COD and tight-space explosion.

Marquise Brown is small and light, he is far from a prototypical WR and his game is not making contested catches.  His game is pure speed with one guy missing a tackle, a home run hitter who isn't going to get you consistent singles but he will separate to give a QB an open window which would help an inaccurate QB who has trouble hitting tight windows.
I agree with all this but what I'm saying is just don't think he is the problem when the QB misses him the way Winston misses Jackson. He's got the talent but he's not putting up anything near Tyreek Hill without an accurate passer. If he went to Detroit, I wouldn't think much of him. Stafford would get him killed eventually. Calvin Johnson took a beating due to bad passes.

Jackson with Fitz: Then it went down hill when Fitz got benched. Jackson never caught over 50% of the balls from Winston in 2018.

5-5 for 146  100.00%
4-4 for 129  100.00%
3-5 for  37   60.00%
5-5 for 112   62.50%

I agree with all this but what I'm saying is just don't think he is the problem when the QB misses him the way Winston misses Jackson. He's got the talent but he's not putting up anything near Tyreek Hill without an accurate passer. If he went to Detroit, I wouldn't think much of him. Stafford would get him killed eventually. Calvin Johnson took a beating due to bad passes.

Jackson with Fitz: Then it went down hill when Fitz got benched. Jackson never caught over 50% of the balls from Winston in 2018.

5-5 for 146  100.00%
4-4 for 129  100.00%
3-5 for  37   60.00%
5-5 for 112   62.50%
It depends on the QB and the type of throw as well. Some QBs are really accurate hitting guys on 15 yard crossing routes but struggle to put the right touch needed for an over the shoulder 30 yard throw. I think there are just a lot of variables when trying to break down catch radius and a QB-WR mesh. Obviously Winston had trouble connecting with Desean on deep passes. I am sure there are some QBs out there who do much better leading speedster receivers down field than they do tossing a jump ball up to a big guy and vice versa. 

ESPN's Todd McShay ranks Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown 11th in his updated top 32 prospects for the 2019 NFL Draft.

That's a big jump for Brown, who previously ranked 25th. He's one of three wideouts who rank on the list, joining Ole Miss's DK Metcalf (17th) and South Carolina's Deebo Samuel (31). McShay has concerns about how Brown will handle press corners with his sleight build (5'10/166) but notes his ability to "win vertically" and the damage he can do with the ball in his hands. At this point, it sure seems like Brown is a lock for the first round.

Source: ESPN 

Jan 29 - 7:42 PM

Jackson with Fitz: Then it went down hill when Fitz got benched.
Shows that different QBs can work with a home run  hitter who isn't a Red Zone threat WR like D-Jack but stretched the field vertically. 

Tampa Bay had issues on offense.  Take  a look what happened with the coaches.  OC Todd Monken had his play calling duties taken away from him late in the season and the Bucs had their worst scoring game of the season.  Next week he regained play calling duties.  

The switched QBs and you saw how a big time playmaker's production decreased but the fact is that a FA QB was posting league leading passing stats where he was able to utilize a small WR like DeSean Jackson.

Monken comes from an Air Raid college background, the same offense that Marquise Brown comes from, the same sort of offense that Baker Mayfield comes from.  Monken left TB and is now the OC in Cleveland working with Baker Mayfield.  Baker Mayfield used to throw to Marquise Brown.

I'm not saying that Cleveland would use a 1st round  pick on him but Jon Dorsey took a small WR named Tyreek Hill when he was the GM of KC.

Jon Dorsey is now the GM of Cleveland and he took a small QB with the 1st pick of last year's draft.

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown as the second best wideout in the 2019 NFL Draft class prior to the combine.

Prior to the combine is important to note here, as testing is going to push -- and drop -- wideouts based on their test scores. Brown (5'9/171) isn't going to wow anyone with his size, but as Brugler notes, there just aren't many faster in this class. Brugler also mentions that Brown tracks the ball well, and there are many ways you can get the ball in his hands (jet sweeps, screen) to let that speed go to work. The lack of ideal size is going to scare some, but he's just too dangerous with the football to imagine he won't be a first-round selection at this point.

Source: The Athletic 

Feb 2 - 8:54 PM

I just can’t get on board with this guy. He was the worst player on the field in the National Title game

I just can’t get on board with this guy. He was the worst player on the field in the National Title game
I'm assuming you mean the semifinal game against Alabama. It's worth pointing out he came back early from a foot injury to play in the game.

I'm assuming you mean the semifinal game against Alabama. It's worth pointing out he came back early from a foot injury to play in the game.
He came back too early from injury, fair enough. Just a bad end to a college career when he sees the top defense, goes 0 for 6 with two drops and is benched 

Per Pro Football Focus, Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown averaged 7.45 yards per route run from the slot, the highest mark in the NCAA.

Brown (5'9/171) led the NCAA in yards per route run from the slot and no one else was particularly close. The second highest receiver in this metric was Iowa State's Hakeem Butler with 5.21. Brown is a speedy wideout who should flash at the combine with his jets and make a case to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Feb 3 - 1:38 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller said Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown's 2018 tape was "good enough to potentially push him into the top 10 picks of the draft."

Brown (5'9/171) doesn't have the size, but he more than makes up for it with speed and production. During his 2018 season, Brown averaged 7.45 yards per route run in the slot, the highest mark in the NCAA by a large margin. Miller continues to call Brown the best receiver prospect in the class over D.K. Metcalf and others, and even indirectly compares Brown's traits to the likes of Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill. If his foot injury is cleared by the NFL Draft, consider Brown a sleeper to be the first receiver off the board.

Source:  Bleacher Report

Feb 4 - 7:25 PM

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes there is a chance that Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown will be the first wide receiver drafted.

Jeremiah also believes that the Buffalo Bills (at No. 9 overall) are a potential landing spot for Brown (5'9/171). It appears that analysts are starting to bring Brown back up their big boards with no reports of setbacks with his foot injury. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller recently argued that Brown's film was "good enough to potentially push him into the top 10 picks of the draft" and Pro Football Focus credited Brown with by far the most yards per route run from the slot, so it's time to seriously consider Brown as a Day 1 candidate with top-10 overall potential. Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf and others are competing with Brown as WR1.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter 

Feb 6 - 9:04 PM

Love the Santana Moss comparison made earlier. Brown is really good at tracking the ball in the air and adjusting his speed. He's not Tyreek Hill with the ball in his hands. He'll make some guys look silly in the open field, but doesn't quite have the "smoke through a keyhole" ability in traffic.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. compared Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown to John Brown.

Todd McShay countered with DeSean Jackson -- the better version of John Brown -- and Kiper thought it was a "good one." McShay continued to say that Marquise Brown is one of the fastest wide receivers in the last "five or so years" and it's hard to argue against his on-field speed. Just last week, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah, who also compared Brown to Jackson, said that there's a chance that Brown could be the first wide receiver drafted, but we'd set Ole Miss WR D.K. Metcalf as the odds-on-favorite.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 15, 2019, 6:58 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler predicts that Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown will run the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds.

Brown (5'9/171) can fly, so this wouldn't be a surprising time for him at all. In fact, ESPN's Todd McShay called Brown one of the fastest wide receivers in the last "five or so years." That speed allowed Brown to lead the nation in most 40+ yard players on his way to a 75-1,318-10 receiving line on 106 targets (12.4 YPT). Considered to be one of the best wide receiver prospects in the class, Brown may end up sneaking into the second half of the first round.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Feb 17, 2019, 2:43 PM

Users who are viewing this thread